JT:Rams denied permission to interview Van Pelt & Chud

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams Denied Permission to Interview Two Offensive Coordinator Candidates
by Patrick Karraker

http://archauthority.com/2015/01/20...terview-two-offensive-coordinator-candidates/

The St. Louis Rams’ search for an offensive coordinator to replace Brian Schottenheimer took another unfortunate turn on Tuesday, as the team was denied permission to interview two of their prospective candidates, Indianapolis Colts special assistant and former Cleveland Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski and Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt, as first reported by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch‘s Jim Thomas:

The Rams have struggled to find candidates in the aftermath of Schottenheimer’s departure to the University of Georgia. Three coaches who they have secured interviews with–Marc Trestman, Greg Roman, and Kyle Shanahan–have been hired by other teams.

They reportedly have interest in outgoing Denver Broncos coordinator Adam Gase, though he’ll almost certainly be more drawn to one of the other current openings, which include an opportunity for a quick reunion with John Fox in Chicago, as well as the San Francisco and Cleveland jobs.

Unless head coach Jeff Fisher is going to go completely off the grid for the hire, the remaining candidates are probably guys who have a history working with him. Tight ends coach Rob Boras and quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti (who recently interviewed for the Cleveland coordinator job) are seen as internal candidates, and Fisher’s former quarterbacks coach with the Tennessee Titans, Dowell Loggains, is still without a job after being fired by the Browns.

Perhaps the greatest lesson for Rams fans is to be careful what they wish for; a large chunk of the fan base was outwardly overjoyed on social media when Schottenheimer decided to leave for Georgia. But for whatever reason now, whether it be the team’s potential relocation to Los Angeles, the lack of an established quarterback, or Fisher’s vulnerability following three straight losing seasons, it seems like it’s going to be very difficult for the Rams to upgrade over Schottenheimer this offseason.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams denied permission to interview two OC candidates
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_c4a8dee6-858e-5f7e-a6cd-a41d8b24067f.html

MOBILE, ALA. _ The Rams' ongoing offensive coordinator search hit a couple of roadblocks Tuesday with both the Green Bay Packers and Indianapolis Colts denying them permission to interview potential candidates.

The Colts blocked the Rams from interviewing Rob Chudzinski, the former Cleveland Browns head coach who has the title of special assistant to the head coach in Indy. Green Bay denied permission for the Rams to interview quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt.

The Rams still would like to speak to former Denver offensive coordinator Adam Gase, but he is interviewing in Chicago today. Another potential candidate, Greg Olson, looks to be in line to take the Jacksonville OC job.

Under NFL rules, the only instance where a team cannot deny permission is for a head-coaching job.

The Packers have had a history of blocking coaching interviews according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. In a 2013 story, the newspaper said at least six Packers assistants had been denied permission to interview in recent years, according to sources.

Also on Tuesday, Rams quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti interviewed for the offensive coordinator's job in Cleveland. Earlier, the Browns interviewed former Rams head coach Mike Martz for the same job.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Thinking outside the box a bit.
How about Walton, the guy who was our DC.....he sure knows how to get WR's wide open. :rolleyes:

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Is it possible that one or both of them told the team to block it? Just wondering if the position doesn't appeal (they could have concerns about Fish making it more than 1 more year and be out looking again for a job). They do not want to "turn down" a job.....that looks bad....and they do not want to "tank" the interview....that looks bad.....so they ask the organization to block it and take the bullet.

V3

Hall of Fame
Conspiracy theory: Has to do with punishing Silent Stan for making overtures to LA without approval.
I have a feeling it's has something to do with LA. Perhaps what you said or perhaps people don't want the job and are telling their teams to deny permission.

V3

Hall of Fame
Dick move by two playoff franchises.

Glad they both got eliminated. New teams to hate, that's nice!
It might not be the teams. I mentioned like a week ago FAs and OCs may be hard to get because of the LA crap as well as us not having a QB. Something is not appealing to these OC candidates and they're probably the ones blocking permission.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This is just not a desirable destination. Why would it be? Sigh....

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They need to change this rule to include Coordinators. You don't need permission if it's for a Head Coaching position, but they need to change the rule to state, if you are not a coordinator in title and have an opportunity to be one you should not need permission.

I understand the Packers lost their QB Coach (Ben McAdoo Giants OC) last year and the Colts and Jim Irsay are being assholes and I hope the Colts lose every damn game next year. No reason at all to deny permission for a guy like Chud and what pisses me off more is that if Chud or Van Pelt was African American would both teams have denied permission? Highly unlikely.

I understand why they made the rule because teams were adding supervisory tags and getting coaches to make lateral moves for example if you wanted a special teams coach you would make him Assistant Head Coach/Special Teams and that was considered a promotion. But just tweak to be Head Coaches and Coordinators only and IMO then you have a good rule.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams could of course offer draft compensation to the colts if Chud were to leave there.
That's what it smells like to me
How bad do they want him?

Athos

Legend
McCarthy hate doubled. Fuck that stupid turdnugget.

And screw Indy too. Bitter after their ass-whooping.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They need to change this rule to include Coordinators. You don't need permission if it's for a Head Coaching position, but they need to change the rule to state, if you are not a coordinator in title and have an opportunity to be one you should not need permission.

I understand the Packers lost their QB Coach (Ben McAdoo Giants OC) last year and the Colts and Jim Irsay are being assholes and I hope the Colts lose every damn game next year. No reason at all to deny permission for a guy like Chud and what pisses me off more is that if Chud or Van Pelt was African American would both teams have denied permission? Highly unlikely.

I understand why they made the rule because teams were adding supervisory tags and getting coaches to make lateral moves for example if you wanted a special teams coach you would make him Assistant Head Coach/Special Teams and that was considered a promotion. But just tweak to be Head Coaches and Coordinators only and IMO then you have a good rule.
Its funny how people want the rule changed when it affects their team.
The rule is just IMO, its just crappy on the team to not allow it.
Green Bay is interesting because they DID allow permission for their current OC Tom Clements to interview for the same position in Cleveland. So it seems as though Van Pelt may in fact BE the defacto OC....
On a side note, I dont think it has anything to do with Stan. Especially from the Irsay POV. How that family could condemn Kroenke for doing what they did is extremely rich

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I don't know, maybe it's just my cynical view, but perhaps the Rams themselves had something to do with this? They know the negative vibes around the offense under Schotty, so why not give the impression they're looking to try something new. Really the whole time they were content to just promote from within.

Magically all of their sought after candidates are hired without even getting an interview or blocked, so the last option is (conveniently) give it to one of their guys. Fisher doesn't want radical change on offense, if anything he'd like more ball control and ground and pound.

Hopefully way off base, but I can't help but wonder.

Irish

Starter
Count me in the camp that believes it possible both Van Pelt and Chud asked their teams to deny permission. Chud is working with a great talent at QB in Luck and van Pelt is working with maybe the best passer in the world in Rodgers. Both guys can pretty much wait for the perfect job, especially Chud who doesn't necessarily need another success point on his resume.

Internal hire time, baby!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I don't know if I'd go conspiracy theory on this one unless the teams allow these coaches to interview with other teams.

Maybe they'd just like to not have to replace those coaches?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Umm this isn't the first time this offseason that teams have denied other teams from interviewing assistants. I think the conspiracy theories are a bit knee-jerk.

I don't think position coaches turn down opportunities very often, no matter how bad a situation may look. If that were the case the Raiders would never have a coaching staff.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
The Rams could of course offer draft compensation to the colts if Chud were to leave there.
That's what it smells like to me
How bad do they want him?

Id offer them a kick in the nuts! The colts are still being little bitches about that ass whipping we put on them last time we played.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Umm this isn't the first time this offseason that teams have denied other teams from interviewing assistants. I think the conspiracy theories are a bit knee-jerk.

I don't think position coaches turn down opportunities very often, no matter how bad a situation may look. If that were the case the Raiders would never have a coaching staff.
True. Last year the Cowboys wouldnt let Callahan interview anywhere, even though they hired his replacement.
And look how that paid off

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Perhaps the greatest lesson for Rams fans is to be careful what they wish for
Way too early to play the "I told you so" card. I can understand being disappointed now that it appears the Rams won't get a "hot name" to spice things up, but remember how low the bar has been set to improve this offense. It's still a 99% chance that whatever warm body is hired will get similar or better results than Schotty. For myself I'm still hoping there's an innovative bright young mind out there on nobody's radar (after all, every hot name was a no-name at one point), but even if the worst case scenario -- promote from within -- comes true, it's not like we will mourn a great offense tumbling to mediocrity. Most likely the established mediocrity will become a little improved. Disappointing, but not the end of the world.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't really remember assistant coaches ever being denied an interview. And it happens twice to us?

Unless it happens more often than I'm aware, it appears something very strange is going on.