JT Rams Chat Highlights: Post Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
JT Chat Highlights

—Once they passed on Watkins (and also Mike Evans) I knew _ in fact I was told _ that the Rams almost certainly wouldn’t take a WR in rounds 2 and 3. But I thought they’d take one at some point.

—I was surprised the Rams went for an RB early, but I really liked the pick. I knew the Rams liked Mo Alexander, but I didn’t think he’d go that high. Obviously, the pick of Sam was a surprise.

—The Rams intentions all along was to take a QB in the mid-rounds _ from Rounds 3 to 5. When Rams traded out of Round 5, I think that dropped them down to 6. Even if the Rams took a QB in Round 4 or even 3, the plan was for him to sit and learn this week.

—Who Starts at FS? I’m gonna say Rodney McLeod, with LaMarcus Joyner at nickel back.

—Does TJ Moe Have a Shot? Stedman Bailey’s suspension gives him a bit of an opening. If not, there’s always the practice squad.

—Fisher is very particularly about his safeties. For whatever reason, Rams weren’t that high on Clinton-Dix or Jimmie Ward. Pryor is a strong safety. There are a couple of scout-types I normally talk to after the draft, but just haven’t had the time so far.

—Brockers and Langford will remain the starters at DT. Donald comes in during passing situations.

—Fisher liked the guy (Alexander) that much, and was afraid he wouldn’t be there by the time the team picked again in Round 6. Alexander is supposed to be very, very aggressive.

—Why no QB Higher? Well they had that big gap between their fourth-round pick (No. 110 overall) and their next pick in the 6th round (No. 188 overall). That was the price they paid to trade that fifth-rounder to move up three spots in the second round for Lamarcus Joyner. I know they liked McCarron and Murray to a degree, wasn’t aware that they liked Mettenberger.

—After today’s press conference, there will be some rookie related activities this week. I don’t think it’s gonna be a normal rookie minicamp, but it’ll be something. Then, in a couple of weeks, it’s the OTAs _ the full-squad spring practices.

—I think the staff already has envisioned how they’re going to use some of these guys (DB’s) in particular packages. But McDonald, more often than not, will be the box safety wen the Rams are in a single-high look.

—With good health. I think they’re getting close to being a playoff team. I had a couple of scouts from other teams tell me pre-draft that the thought the roster was noticeably better that a couple of years ago and that they didn’t think the Rams were all that far away.

Read the Remaining Chat Highlights

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Wow, interesting to hear how the missing fifth round pick changed the whole later part of the draft, now it makes more sense.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I think that is to start anyway.
I would think that it would be pretty hard for a rookie to push a vet out of a starting job on the D line.
At least at the start of the season. Just MHO.

Memphis Ram

Legend
—If you watched the Dallas game (Game 3), the San Francisco Thursday night game (Game 4), and the season finale in Seattle, the Rams didn’t lose because they lacked quick-strike capability. They lost because they got their rear ends kicked in the trenches, particularly on the offensive line. The Rams needed to muscle up to survive in the West.

Whew! Someone who wanted the Rams to select Sammy Watkins, saw those games the same way I did. Thank you, Mr. Thomas. I was beginning to wonder if I was seeing things.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Whew! Someone who wanted the Rams to select Sammy Watkins, saw those games the same way I did. Thank you, Mr. Thomas. I was beginning to wonder if I was seeing things.

That's why I wanted the Rams to select another OL someone to challenge Barksdale nothing against Mitchell Van Dyk, his grandfather is one heck of a comedian, but I don't think Barksdale is going to be worried about the former Portland State Viking.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald only going to play on passing downs? He's pretty good against the run is he not?
I think they want him to earn it. Which he will but fisher isn't the kinda coach to just send Langford to the bench for a rookie

Memphis Ram

Legend
That's why I wanted the Rams to select another OL someone to challenge Barksdale nothing against Mitchell Van Dyk, his grandfather is one heck of a comedian, but I don't think Barksdale is going to be worried about the former Portland State Viking.

I was hoping for another lineman, too.