JT: No holdout coming from Saffold over switch to RT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
From Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post Dispatch:

No, Rodger Saffold isn’t happy about his impending switch to right tackle for the Rams. But those close to Saffold insist he won’t be a malcontent and won’t be a holdout.

Saffold will participate in the Rams’ official offseason conditioning program, which starts Monday, although technically participation is “voluntary.” And as long as he’s a Ram, he’ll be there for minicamps, OTAs, training camp and the preseason.

He will do what he has to do to protect his contract, which means playing out the 2013 season to the best of his ability under the last year of the contract he signed as a second-round draft choice out of Indiana University in 2010.

It’s unclear if Saffold has formally requested a trade from the Rams. But at the very least, Saffold’s representatives have let the Rams know that Saffold wouldn’t be opposed to a trade, according to league sources.

At the moment, however, the Rams have all the leverage and Saffold has none. If the Rams have no desire to trade Saffold, he has no option but to play out the 2013 season and finish out his contract. And that could very well be how things end up.

Long before the Rams brought in free-agent left tackle Jake Long for a visit and ultimately signed him, the Rams have consistently indicated that re-signing Saffold was a priority. They like him as a player, and like how he played down the stretch last season.

But business is business, and when the Rams saw an opportunity to add a four-time Pro Bowler (Long) to help protect quarterback Sam Bradford, they leaped at the chance. Those close to Saffold said he felt blindsided by the news that Long, the former Miami Dolphin, was visiting St. Louis. Saffold didn’t know about the visit until Long had arrived in St. Louis for his visit.

Saffold knew he would be switched to the right side if Long signed with the Rams. Long, of course, ended up signing a four-year, $34 million contract. So barring injury, Saffold will not have the opportunity to play the position of his choice in 2013.

Early indications from the Rams are that they are not interested in trading Saffold. Interestingly, the Rams have had visits or have visits scheduled with three draft prospects that play offensive tackle: Alabama’s D.J. Fluker was in last week, Florida State’s Menelik Watson was in Tuesday and Virginia’s Oday Aboushi has an upcoming visit.

All three are projected as right tackles.

If the Rams drafted any of those three, would that make them more likely to trade Saffold? Almost all of the top free agents at tackle are off the market. That leaves a half-dozen or so NFL teams possibly looking for help at left tackle: Arizona, Buffalo, Detroit, Miami, New Orleans and San Diego. Once the top three or four tackles are gone in the draft, there may be a couple of teams still looking for help as the first round winds done.

Assuming the Rams take Fluker or even Watson at No. 22 overall, they could then seek to trade Saffold after making that pick, potentially getting a pick or picks in return in this draft that could help the team this year. That’s a scenario to think about on the first day of the draft – April 25.

What could the Rams get for Saffold? A third-rounder is probably optimistic considering Saffold has just a year left on his contract. Maybe a fourth-rounder.

If not and Saffold stays, the Rams could have the makings of a formidable offensive line in 2013 with Long at left tackle, Scott Wells at center, Harvey Dahl at right guard, Saffold at right tackle and a starter to be named at left guard.

Saffold has preferred to lay low on the subject. He has done no interviews since one of his agents – Alan Herman – first told the Post-Dispatch about Saffold’s unhappiness over the switch nearly a month ago.

DRAFT VISITS

Joining Watson as pre-draft visitors to Rams Park on Tuesday were linebackers Arthur Brown of Kansas State and Gerald Hodges of Penn State, as well as running back Marcus Lattimore of South Carolina. That brings to 21 the number of so-called “top 30” visits for the Rams this draft season.

Lattimore may have been the top running back prospect in the draft were it not for a severe knee injury suffered last season against Tennessee. It’s questionable whether Lattimore will be healthy enough to play at the start of the season, and he may not get drafted until the middle rounds.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/no-holdout-coming-from-saffold-over-switch-to-rt/article_6d52d62b-d6c8-5035-a13e-0c7f86caf2ab.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... af2ab.html</a>

duckhunter

Starter
The way this is going, I guess it's better than a stick in the eye.

I think it's a very weak class of RTs and it might be the lesser of two evils going to the draft for a replacement, but anytime you choose the lesser of two evils there's still elements of evil in it.

nighttrain

Legend
like it was said, Saffold will play for next years contract, he wont be a dummy and not give it his best. That said by the end of the season, he may have a change of heart and we can resign him. Just a maybe
train

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
duckhunter said:

I think it's a very weak class of RTs and it might be the lesser of two evils going to the draft for a replacement, but anytime you choose the lesser of two evils there's still elements of evil in it.
A weak class of right tackles? Splain, Lucy, why is it weak?

Sucks that Saffold is probably on his way out. IMO, he is a pretty good player. Saffold also got blindsided, and I think that that sucks too, but I understand the politics, and strategy of the situation.

If Saffold was brought into the sitch, then he might still be in play, but now, he is probably on the outs....Too bad.

I understand both parties, but I blame the Rams if no contact was made prior to the situation at hand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
duckhunter said:

Sucks that Saffold is probably on his way out. IMO, he is a pretty good player. Saffold also got blindsided, and I think that that sucks too, but I understand the politics, and strategy of the situation.

If Saffold was brought into the sitch, then he might still be in play, but now, he is probably on the outs....Too bad.

I understand both parties, but I blame the Rams if no contact was made prior to the situation at hand.
Fisher said that he contacted Saffold prior to going after Long and he was OK with it. I don't know what changed or if Fisher was sugar coating it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I just posted (in the KD Redux forum) direct questions to Demoff regarding this story and Saffold's general temperment. I realize Kevin probably can't be very open in his response, but I asked the questions anyway and would like to see how he responds.

Ultimately, the sports "jouranlists" are paid to attract eyeballs, so their material is always writen from that perspective. Hence, I'm not convinced that we really have the makings of a soap opera here.

I'm a fan of Saffold's and would really like to see him extend his contract. I'm hopeful that Kevin might be able to reveal something that deflates this story.

On edit:

DR RAM said:
Right. Hopefully Kevin can shed some light on this.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
brokeu91 said:
DR RAM said:
duckhunter said:

Fisher said that he contacted Saffold prior to going after Long and he was OK with it. I don't know what changed or if Fisher was sugar coating it.
Doesn't smell right. No disrespect intended to our staff, unless they did contact him, and he was pissed, but they are not disclosing that. That could have happened.

nighttrain

Legend
For Fisher to out & out lie, very unlikely, and personally i dont think so, more likely Saffold was very quiet with his response, you dont sceam, trade me you f#$%^$ traitor over the phone..or ever, not like that..
train

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Too bad we can't trade him for a proven NFL WR...

Or can we???

duckhunter

Starter
DR RAM said:
duckhunter said:

My opinion, Pick what you like and discard the rest. May be right or wrong. Last year, I watched a ton of linemen play. Not so much this year.

Normally, I like value picks and 2nd round seems where most teams slot their RT selections because they usually only have the skills for the one tackle position. If you're wrong on a LT he can usually slip into the RT position and provides some swing capabilities back to LT in case of injury. It is general consensus most times that RTs don't have the quick feet to handle the top of line edge rushers. This is kind of all other things being equal.

Concerning the top 3 RT candidates I don't rate them as first round guys. For comparison purposes, Martin and Glenn both went in the 2nd last year but played OK for rookies at the LT positions. So we very easily could be reaching for a need on a one position tackle.

I was hot on Fluker at the end of last year and thought that was the guy to line up this year across from Saffold. He has off the chart strength, generally a mauler if he can latch on, grape vines for arms and outstanding intangibles. First game, Q Smith from Western Kentucky hangs 3 sacks on Alabama, two on Fluker. Q smith is graded a 4/5 guy. Source for above 2 comments is PFW. As the season wears on Fluker struggles with the LSU speed duo of Mingo/Montgomery and Tex A&M speed duo of Porter/Moore. The coup de gras is Jarvis Jones pretty much owning Fluker in the SEC championship game. I mean like it was over before it started and Fluker was grabbing jersey. Beat inside and outside.

I thought why is he having trouble with speed. Feet, eyes, splits between positions what. Some have mentioned late off the ball and that is true. Last one to move at the snap. Some have said he has problems with processing what is going on in front of him. Agree. During his combine interview at the podium, he said he wears the opponent down late in the game. Well, my immediate thought is how many QBs are going to get creamed before Fluker wears the DEs down.

I haven't watched Menelik or Oboushi but what I read doesn't sound promising.

I usually watch the entire game unless I'm switching between games. There's a flow to a game and critical plays are important and there are turning points both large and small. I don't go back and watch teams or specific players. I choose who I watch before the game most times and look for key matchups like Jarvis Jones against Fluker.

Now Menelik is liked by Bonifay Ram and he lives near the school with local insight and I respect his opinion, but it's tough for me to accept.

I like to recommend guys that I have seen play. The only two guys I like are developmental guys Cleary and Watkins late. Both are at least three year starters which I think is important for linemen, are nasty, have worts all over them but have shown me something during the year. They are flyers at best. Jrry likes Brennan Williams so I'll keep an eye on his development.

BadCompany

Rookie
nighttrain said:
For Fisher to out & out lie, very unlikely, and personally i dont think so, more likely Saffold was very quiet with his response, you dont sceam, trade me you f#$%^$ traitor over the phone..or ever, not like that..
train

Language warning!

:cheese:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cyO271GChk[/youtube]

A55VA6

Legend
What if Roger plays better at RT? What if the OL is fantastic this year? He should realize it and resign with the team. But I feel like this switch will make Roger end up leaving. Even though he's very solid, if he leaves, we can replace him just fine.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
A55VA6 said:
What if Roger plays better at RT? What if the OL is fantastic this year? He should realize it and resign with the team. But I feel like this switch will make Roger end up leaving. Even though he's very solid, if he leaves, we can replace him just fine.

Well if he plays better shouldn't he command more money..and if another team offers more, he'd be stupid not to consider it. Although if Rodger Saffold does leave, it would make Sam Bradford, Eugene Sims, and Josh Hull the only players remaining from that draft class. Right up on par with the crappy drafts of the past.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't recall Fish saying he contacted Rodger BEFORE going after Long. I'm not sure what good can come out of that. So Long was already walking the fence. Do you want to add potential bad blood to the mix? I know it seems harsh but our staff should not feel obligated to let players know when they are trying to bring someone in even if it is for their position. It's not like they whisked him in under cover of darkness.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
What's that old saying....."winning solves everything." It's a long ways until 2014 season, let's see how things work out with Saffold. If this team lights it up offensively and everyone's having fun (and winning), there's no telling what will happen.

Heck, Saffold could end up happier than a clam before it's over. Besides, playing on the right side could definately relieve him of some pressure. :hehe:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think we trade him somewhere in the second to third round on draft day and immediately use that pick for a RT.
Unless we don't :boing:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
I don't recall Fish saying he contacted Rodger BEFORE going after Long. I'm not sure what good can come out of that. So Long was already walking the fence. Do you want to add potential bad blood to the mix? I know it seems harsh but our staff should not feel obligated to let players know when they are trying to bring someone in even if it is for their position. It's not like they whisked him in under cover of darkness.
I would totally normally agree with you on this, and I won't say any more after this, but when you are dealing with a player that you like, and plan on keeping, you might handle it a little different, and show the player a little respect. If you didn't care about the player, or if he stayed or not, well different story. I didn't hear Fisher say anything like that either.

I understand the politics, I just don't always agree with them. Moving on...

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
A55VA6 said:

For argument sake, lets say he has a pro-bowl caliber year. Option one he re-signs with the RAMS and gets a big contract continuing to play RT. Option two, he has a great year and decides to test free-agency. But if he has a great year at RT, will other teams only pursue him as a RT? If that is the case then it would make sense that he look to the RAMS for a long-term contract which I think they would do.

I understand that LT make more than RT, but how much does one need. One-million dollars is one-million dollars. Que Gordon Gekko. I'm just looking for any input. And go...

paceram

Pro Bowler
MontanaRamsFan said:
A55VA6 said:

For argument sake, lets say he has a pro-bowl caliber year. Option one he re-signs with the RAMS and gets a big contract continuing to play RT. Option two, he has a great year and decides to test free-agency. But if he has a great year at RT, will other teams only pursue him as a RT? If that is the case then it would make sense that he look to the RAMS for a long-term contract which I think they would do.

I understand that LT make more than RT, but how much does one need. One-million dollars is one-million dollars. Que Gordon Gekko. I'm just looking for any input. And go...

If he goes on to have a great season at ORT and he can't come to terms with the Rams on an extension can the Rams tag him next offseason?