JT Chat Highlights: Still Looking at QBs--No Interest in Pryor

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
JT Chat Highlights

—Haven’t seen Bradford around Rams Park. And I need to check on the surgery.

—Sign Pryor? Probably not gonna happen after claiming Case Keenum on waivers. I don’t think there was much interest in Pryor overall.

—Williams has shown little of his playbook. And I know Schottenheimer has held some things back as well, based on what I’ve seen on the practice field.

—I can’t tell you specifically which QB’s they might be looking at, but they are still looking around.

—Never said that Watts is better than Mason. Watts had a better preseason than Mason. But Mason is fighting it a little bit. Doesn’t seem like he’s running with as much confidence. And not unexpected was the fact that he struggled with blitz pickup.

—My Parade Meter is at 7 wins so I’m not much different than ESPN. I don’t think 6-10 puts Fisher on the hot seat, but it makes it warmer.

—For now, Keenum is the No. 3. That doesn’t mean that won’t change once he gets to know the system.

—Back in March, Fisher said he envisioned Stacy as a “70 percent” back, meaning he’d get 70 percent of the touches in the backfield. But that was before drafting Mason, And then Cunningham has the good camp and preseason. I think the workload breakdown is still in flux.

—Brockers, Jenkins, Ogletree and Stacy all came from the RGIII trade. Also, Bailey who’s suspended for the first 4 games should be among the top 4 WRs when he returns.

—Jake Long has gotten lots of reps in practice _ I know that’s not the same as game reps _ but I think the plan is to have Long go the full 60.

—I think they can carry 3 QBs. I plan on writing about Davis for tomorrow’s paper. The Rams are very impressed with Davis’ improvement.

—Do you think Bradford deserves a chance to comeback with the team??? Sure.

—Was a concern at the start of the camp, and remains a concern in my mind. The safety play has been better than I anticipated. But lots of questions at corner, particularly with Trumaine Johnson out of commission for about a month.

—The Rams don’t have to cut anybody when Johnson returns, so sure, I think Roberson stays unless injuries at another position necessitates a move.

—Westbrooks A Future Starter? Sure. He’s got plenty of potential. I don’t think he’s big enough to play DT on an every-down basis, so I’d say DE.

—The Rams did win four of nine games with Kellen Clemens playing QB against one of the league’s toughest schedules. And on paper, Hill is the better QB. The big key is how much can all the young players improve and can Gregg Williams turn a decent-to-pretty good defense into a very good one.

—Well, Fisher thought he had a top tier QB in Sam Bradford _ that’s one of the reasons he took the job. I think you certainly can second-guess them, however, for not drafting a QB higher than the 6th round last May. I get the fact that it is a passing league, but all you have to do is look West to Seattle and San Francisco to see run-oriented teams that are highly successful. So it can be done that way.

—Robinson has struggled with pass pro _ something that has been mentioned before the draft as something he’d have to learn. Davin Joseph who is expected to start at RG, is a 2-time Pro Bowler who had a good camp and preseason. Rodger Saffold, who is expected to start at LG, is someone you paid $30 million-plus in free agency. So those are two pretty good options.

Read Coming Chat Highlights

tahoe

Pro Bowler
As soon as he came back from the shoulder injury and they realized that robinson cant pass protect, but I could have told you that before the draft...

dcramfan

UDFA
As soon as he came back from the shoulder injury and they realized that robinson cant pass protect, but I could have told you that before the draft...
It's that, plus Long being less than 100% has has made it even more obvious. I think if Long came back completely healthy and was playing lights out then Robinson gets on the field now. An injured Long can't compensate for Robinson's pass blocking learning curve. By the fourth or fifth game I'm hoping that Robinson slides back into the line-up. If not...

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
—Williams has shown little of his playbook. And I know Schottenheimer has held some things back as well, based on what I’ve seen on the practice field.

This makes me giddy about the defense. Unfortunately I've been hoping for some regular season innovation from Schotty that I'm still waiting on.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
How many number 2 overall linemen haven't started tbe season as a starter? Id venture to guess not many. Its one thing to be struggling some in training camp but its a whole nother thing to not even be ready by the start of the season.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I hope they're going to find a way to sign Ryan Griffin away from New Orleans.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

Find a way? I think all they have to do is pick up the phone.

What they are likely hung up on is whether its worth it to cut Davis - who is the only other QB who knows the offense going into week 1.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
How many number 2 overall linemen haven't started tbe season as a starter? Id venture to guess not many. Its one thing to be struggling some in training camp but its a whole nother thing to not even be ready by the start of the season.
Don't forget, we acquired the #2 pick. That we have the luxury of keeping him on the bench, rather than living with his raw talent, is a plus.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve

I don't think they do.....unless they believe he has long term(down the road) Starter qualities. .... plus I think that if he is on they're practice squad the Rams have to add him to the active roster I think.... Go Rams...... ;)

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Find a way? I think all they have to do is pick up the phone.

What they are likely hung up on is whether its worth it to cut Davis - who is the only other QB who knows the offense going into week 1.
That's what I mean by 'find a way' - fit him onto the roster somewhere. I don't think they cut Keenum, and I don't know what they really think of Davis, considering they've already tried to replace him with Griffin last season.

cracengl

Rookie
I guess every OL who isn't immediately an Orlando Pace clone is actually a Jason Smith clone. He may not be ready today, that doesn't me he won't ever be.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I guess every OL who isn't immediately an Orlando Pace clone is actually a Jason Smith clone. He may not be ready today, that doesn't me he won't ever be.
The thing is Orlando Pace wasn't even that good his rookie year. I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to rush to judgment.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
nIw39nW.jpg

cracengl

Rookie
The thing is Orlando Pace wasn't even that good his rookie year. I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to rush to judgment.

I was just thinking though, if we were talking about a team with a more recent period of success, this probably would not be as big of an issue for some people. But it's the Rams and it's easy to think it's going to turn out terrible, because we've all seen it happen. I will continue to wait and see.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
That's what I mean by 'find a way' - fit him onto the roster somewhere. I don't think they cut Keenum, and I don't know what they really think of Davis, considering they've already tried to replace him with Griffin last season.

@FieldYates: QB Ryan Griffin, waived by Saints on Tuesday, passed through waivers today. He's now a free agent.

I wonder how long it takes a QB to pick up an offense enough to be a serviceable backup. On one hand, if you wait too long, you could lose your guy. On the other hand, if Hill goes down, you are going to be running an offense based on drawing with a stick in the dirt - which, at least, might get Robinson on the field. : )

tonyl711

Starter
how many are backing up a 2 time pro bowler, and a 4 year vet who last season in his first year playing guard showed probowl potential? everyone knew GR was going to be raw in Pass Protection, so with 2 guards who have shown they can handle the job and do it well, why rush a rookie who needs more work in?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I remember Pace being anything but good his first year. Robinson was drafted for his potential not his ability to start on the first day. I'd much rather he gets the time to be proficient instead of getting another QB killed this season.

duckhunter

Starter
The title is a bit obvious. Of course, the Rams would say they are looking at every QB under the circumstances. But it strikes me as saying: 'You never can have enough unknowns in your QB ranks.'

Let's hope Hill stays upright and is successful this season because an argument about Keenum over Davis might make me sick.

fearsomefour

Legend
how many are backing up a 2 time pro bowler, and a 4 year vet who last season in his first year playing guard showed probowl potential? everyone knew GR was going to be raw in Pass Protection, so with 2 guards who have shown they can handle the job and do it well, why rush a rookie who needs more work in?
Im just looking forward to a jumbo package with Robinson and Person at TE and Harkey and Donald in the backfield in front of Cunningham.
(the play clearly is a play action pass to Person by the way)