JT Chat Highlights: Rams Have About $12 Mil of Cap Space

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

It might be. What we do know is that the amount of money that is slotted for all our picks, with no trades, is !10 million.

Has there ever been a team that traded simply so they could afford their own picks?

Alan

Legend
Good question. We need to call in an old guy to answer that. Old and smart I mean. With a memory. Do we know any?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Once again, quoting my favorite source when it comes to these sort of issues, per K. Demoff, the salary cap implications of signing draft picks is considered a separate entity in his approach.

He stated that the way it usually works out, given the way the salaries figure against the cap in the off season, (only the top 51 actually count), the $$$ used to sign the draft picks, are offset in the long run by merely replacing the players on the roster that don't make the final 53.

Hence, all this talk about "needing $6.1M" to sign the draft picks, out of the remaining salary cap $$$ is not entirely accurate.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now why would you disagree with $6.1mil?

I'm not even sure it will be that much. Remember each rookie they keep will be taking the place of another player and their cap hit. So it may take $8m+ to sign the rookies the first year but it will be a much lower cap hit when you subtract the cap value of the players they release.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Once again, quoting my favorite source when it comes to these sort of issues, per K. Demoff, the salary cap implications of signing draft picks is considered a separate entity in his approach.

He stated that the way it usually works out, given the way the salaries figure against the cap in the off season, (only the top 51 actually count), the $$$ used to sign the draft picks, are offset in the long run by merely replacing the players on the roster that don't make the final 53.

Hence, all this talk about "needing $6.1M" to sign the draft picks, out of the remaining salary cap $$$ is not entirely accurate.

great minds think alike.

Alan

Legend
Well that's what I said. You have to subtract the salaries of the players they replace obviously. Problem is, we don't know who that will be yet. We also might trade up or down and that would affect the figures too. But it's good to have a benchmark to start from and that's the $10 million dollars we have to set aside to pay the rookies. We can and will subtract from that depending on the decisions they make.

RFIP

I'm not even sure it will be that much. Remember each rookie they keep will be taking the place of another player and their cap hit. So it may take $8m+ to sign the rookies the first year but it will be a much lower cap hit when you subtract the cap value of the players they release.

Great point!