JT Chat Highlights: Rams Have About $12 Mil of Cap Space

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
JT Chat Highlights

—Saffold counts only $4 million against the cap in 2014; Dunbar less than $900,0000. So once you add the extra $3 million from the Finnegan offset deal, the Rams should be at about $12 million right now.

—With just two years left on his contract, I don’t see the Rams extending Bradford. The Rams have more than enough cap room to get through this season. The teams that are restructuring, by and large are the teams that have cap issues. The Rams have about $12 million in cap space after signing Saffold and Dunbar. Keep in mind, a good chunk of that $12 million will be needed to sign the draft class.

—I think the Rams are 9-7 with Bradford last year. While the time missed with injuries is a legitimate concern, I don’t see anything wrong with a 90-plus passer rating and a 14-to-4 TD to interception ratio. Bradford was on his way to a career year across the board before the injury.

—Kenny Britt? I think they’re still in the mix. And I’ll add this. Usually when a player takes several trips in free agency (like Britt and Henry Melton, who will visit the Rams) they’re not getting the money they’re looking for.

—Jenkins has loads of talent, but he just needs to refine his technique and work on his ball skills. I think we’re all expecting Williams to play more man-to-man and more press coverage, but we’ll see. Jenkins looks good playing press coverage in practice, but that hasn’t always shown in his games with the Rams. I think he needs to do better tracking throws and adjusting to the ball in flight.

—Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Brandon McGee, and Darren Woodard are the CBs currently under contract.

—Fitzpatrick for QB2? Don’t believe so at this time. I think their focus is on Shaun Hill.

—I thought they would add either a corner or safety in free agency. Obviously that has not happened and most of the bigger names are gone. I don’t know if the Rams feel like Clemons is an upgrade over what they have now (McCleod). Clemons certainly hasn’t gotten much play so far in free agency.

—-It’ll be close on Mike Evans at 13. If they really like him they may have to move up.

—I’d be fine with Shaun HIll and then draft a QB as well.

—Trade Down Chances Reduced? I don’t think anything’s changed, unless the QB-needy teams just aren’t as high on the top 3 QBs as seemed to be the case entering the combine. But all along all signals have pointed to any trade up to No. 2 overall as being a last-second thing _ something that may not fully materialize until the day of the draft. It’s still 51 days till the draft, so plenty of time for something to develop.

—I don’t have a read on Watkins, in terms of how much the Rams really like him. I know they like him, but again how much. I do think he’s under consideration for them at No. 2. But let’s face it, this regime has spent four draft picks on WR in the past two drafts, taking a first rounder (Austin), second-rounder (Quick), third-rounder (Bailey), and fourth-rounder (Givens). I’m not sure they see the position as a pressing need _ at least not as much as most others do.

—Shaun Hill? Pocket passer. Bit of unusual delivery. Not the greatest arm strength. Didn’t play at all last season. Hasn’t played much since 2010 because Stafford has stayed healthy. Pretty good accuracy. Smart, good intangibles.

—Shaun HIll is visiting as I type this. He played for Frank Cignetti, the Rams’ QB coach, in San Francisco several year ago. He has had a productive career as a backup, and he’d be a bridge quarterback for a year or two (if the Rams indeed draft a QB as well) to let the young QB develop.

—No, I don’t think they’re sitting in the meeting rooms saying: “Well, we don’t need Watkins because our offensive coordinator won’t know how to use him.”

—I think Barnes has shown enough to at least be considered as a possible starter. He played some tough fronts in his four starts, particularly Arizona and Seattle.

—The Rams haven’t decided yet on whether to bring Alex Carrington, although there is some interest. I think they’re thinking about bring another lineman in _ but they haven’t set up a visit yet (and I don’t know the player’s name at this point.).

—What if you could still get Watkins or one of the top tackles at No. 6 overall and still get an extra pick or two? That’s all part of what the Rams have to consider.

—Signing Saffold may lessen the need to take an o-lineman at No. 2 overall. I do think re-signing Saffold makes it less likely _ but certainly not out of the question _ that the Rams take a tackle high.

—They told us they weren’t going to be as active this year in free agency. They’re still looking at guys. I really thought they were going to add a corner, at least someone who cat play nickel.

Read The Rest of the Chat Highlights

SierraRam

Recreational User
12 Million will sign our picks and maybe one good FA. (unless we have more cuts) Melton would be an awesome signing, and then we go best DB at 13.

Am I the only one impressed with how little we know about Barrett Jones. The front office has kept a lid on this guy. Can he start at left guard if we go with Watkins? Can he back up 5 OL's and challenge Wells or Barksdale if we take Robinson? Wishfull thinking, I know, but if he pans out, we get to draft BPA with a lot of picks..

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Wow! More than I thought, for sure.

Being we need 6-7 mil to sign our picks, I'd say we have about about 5 to spend.

That could be enough to sign Hill and Melton.

We got something brewing this year, guys.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
We can free up a couple of mil more by cutting Pead and Cudjo.

RFIP

Being we need 6-7 mil to sign our picks, I'd say we have about about 5 to spend.

That could be enough to sign Hill and Melton.

We got something brewing this year, guys.

Word is they need $6.1mil for draft picks.

Alan

Legend
mr.stlouis too lazy to look:

If you'd put in a little effort and search our old threads (within the last two weeks for sure) you would find out exactly how much we need to sign our picks providing we don't trade up or down. Unfortunately, not only am I too lazy to look myself, my memory is even lazier. However, I think the figure was closer to 8 million.

After reading RFIP's post I guess I'll have to actually search. :mad: :LOL:

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
OK here's the site with the info but someone else will have to do the math.
http://overthecap.com/nfl-rookie-salary-cap-2014.php
#2 $3,869,836
#13 $1,843,000
#44 $1,843,000
#75 $579,375
#106 $536,065
#141 $468,000
#172 $446,918
#204 $435,064
+ compensatory picks and then minus the salaries of the players they replace.

EDITED

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
LOL Is that using the new math? :LOL: Just the first three picks are much more than that. You said that just to get me to do it myself didn't you. LOL!

PhxRam

LOL Is that using the new math? :LOL: Just the first three picks are much more than that. You said that just to get me to do it myself didn't you. LOL!

LOL.. I didnt even look at the page..

PhxRam

Stop doing your damn taxes an add the salary cap figures already!! :ROFLMAO:

Hey I finally reaped the benefit of having a kid on my taxes. Now they just owe me the other 15,000 she spent this year.. :D

PhxRam

You dog!
OK, at least add up the pick totals. Lazy bastard!

for our team?

screenshot_286.png

Alan

Legend
jrry32 trying to get out of doing the math:
Gotta be more than that. I think it's around $8 million.
I said that already jrry. I guess you'll have to do the math for us just to make sure because no one trusts that Phx guy's figures.

Have I mentioned how much we value you here at the ROD?

PhxRam

I said that already jrry. I guess you'll have to do the math for us just to make sure because no one trusts that Phx guy's figures.

Have I mentioned how much we value you here at the ROD?

His fancy scientific calculator doesn't add any better then my abacus.

Alan

Legend
Something I've always wanted to know. Does your abacus have decimal points?