JT Chat Highlights: No on Mack--Offseason Program Starts Apr.21

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
JT’s Chat Highlights

—Interest in Mack? I don’t think so. It’s hard to project where Mack would play in St. Louis. Does he replace Ogletree? wouldn’t think so. On the strong side (Dunbar’s spot) that’s a position that’s on the field about 35% of the time. Against they could also work him into the d-line rotation, it’s hard to justify using a high pick on a part-time player.

—The offseason conditioning program begins April 21. The Rams have never started their OTAs under Fisher until about the third week of May. So I don’t think those will get pushed back. But they may be more condensed (more OTAs per week) to get all of the weekend in before late June.

—RB doesn’t seem to be much of an area of need. With so many draft picks (12) I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rams take a running back at some point in the draft. With Stacy and Cunningham both of the power back mold and Richardson and Pead both unproven as change of pace backs, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rams tried a speed guy. Henry Josey, anyone? Don’t know if Richardson is fully recovered yet. He was on a rest-the-foot regimen entering the offseason. I think Pead at least comes to camp.

—Remember, compensatory picks can’t be traded. But it does give them flexibility with their other late-round picks. Atlanta let it be known at the Scouting Combine that they are interested in trading up, so I don’t think today’s Schefter tweet is anything new, if that’s what you’re referring to on the Falcons. Clowney obviously would be the most logical choice at No. 2 overall.

—I’m pretty sure Steven Jackson doesn’t count in the comp pick formula because he opted out of his contract. That’s not the same as being an unrestricted free agent and having your contract expire.

—Reid had some off-the-field issues (was kicked out of Florida State), not to mention two ACL surgeries. He was very talented in college, though, before the injuries. So why not take a flyer on the guy?

—Reid’s History: Suspended for a 2011 game against Charleston Southern for “violation of team rules.” And in July 2012, suspended for possession of marijuana and driving with a suspended license. There may be than that, but those two have been public knowledge

—D Rich? He suffered turf toe and foot injuries right off the bat. Turf toe can be a very painful injury that is slow to heal, and makes it much tougher to cut and change directions. That got him behind, and obviously he was never right the rest of the season.

—Again, any team moving to LA needs a long-term place to play. And there is no long-term place to play in LA at the moment. There may never be. So I don’t know what impact it will have on the Rams, although some observers feel that two teams sharing a stadium in LA would be ideal.

—I think it’s a prove-it year for a lot of people in the Rams organization.

—Robinson or Matthews? It’s hard to tell. Matthews is more polished and ready to play on opening day. But he’s smaller and more finesse than power. Robinson is much bigger, looks like he could be punishing run blocker, and has a bigger upside. Again, on the Atlanta thing _ Dimitroff mentioned that in February at the combine, so it’s not a new development. As for what the Rams can get, I’d say at least a two and something else. Maybe a two and a four.

—They’re still talking to guards Joseph and Colledge, are still interested in DT Carrington, WR Kenny Britt, and QB Hill. Obviously, virtually all of the “name” players are gone. If you’re talking about cap casualties, those are pretty much gone. Everyone always talks about post June 1 cap casualties, but there aren’t many of those guys. It’s kind of an overrated deal.

—Sign Britt and Draft a WR means someone gets cut? They could still bring them all to camp under your scenario and see how things shake out in preseason. Also, I don’t think the Rams will give up on Quick just yet.

—I believe it’s deep enough that the Rams should be able to get starting caliber players at CB/S in the top three rounds. It could be as early as No. 13 overall for either safety or cornerback.

—Yeah, that $12 million of Rams reported cap space is counting the $3 million that the Rams don’t have yet from the Finngean signing.

—I don’t think the rookie cap will eat up $9 million. But it will be a decent chunk of change.

—Per cent chance the Rams take QB in top 3 rounds? Hah. The old percentage game. First three rounds? I’m gonna go 15 percent.

Read All Chat Highlights