Jt Chat Highlights: Doesn't See Rams Using High Pick On A Slb

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

JT’s Chat Highlights

—I just can’t see the Rams using a high pick on a strongside LB, unless they plan to use him elsewhere, so I don’t think they go for Mack or Barr. Again, I’d be happy with any combination of Clowney, Watkins, one of the 3 OLs, and one of the top safeties with the 2 first-round picks.

—I can’t see the Rams using a pick in the first or second rounds for an LB who plays only 35-40 percent of the time. That’s true even in the run-happy NFC West. In today’s NFL, the nickel back is more of the 11th starter than the strong side LB.

—Rams Take Clowney? That would not shock me. Jeff Fisher loves pass rushers. He said at the combine, you can never have enough pass rushers. Gregg Williams would figure out a way to get him on the field. Between Williams and d-line coach Mike Waufle (an ex-Marine) I think they could keep Clowney motivated.

—Bradford was the 11th-rated passer in the league last year. And for those who don’t believe in passer-rating, I cite Gil Brant, who said since 2008, the team with the higher-rated passer has won 80 percent of the time. That’s not “defending” Bradford, that’s citing facts.

—Actually, Bradford had one of the best interception percentages in the league last year before he was hurt. (Only four INTs.) But you’re right. Another stat from Brandt. Since ’08, team with the fewest turnovers wins about 80 percent of the time as well.

—Yeah, not much trade talk that I’m aware of at the Combine. But it’s a long way between now and May 8. I think Atlanta would be a good trade partner, partly because of the relationship between Snead and Dimitroff. But if the Rams have a very high grade on Clowney, I don’t know if they could pass.

—The pressure is to win games in the NFL’s toughest division, and getting the type of players in this draft that can get that done. On offense, the question in Round 1, especially with that No. 2 overall pick could be what’s the best way to help Sam Bradford? With a top offensive lineman or a top wide receiver. Robinson could play OG for a year or two. He could start at RT with Barksdale coming off the bench as the third tackle. And keep in mind, there’s no guarantee Jake Long will e ready for opening day coming off his knee surgery.

—Re-signing Saffold? The Rams aren’t going to go down easy on this one. They want to re-sign Saffold. But if the money gets out of hand, they’ll probably bow out. But I’ve been saying for some time that I didn’t think Saffold would be back according to what I’m hearing. We’ll see. We don’t have long to wait.

—Greg Robinson is getting a lot of hype, most of it deserved. But Lewan had the better workout at the combine and ran faster than Robinson! Lewan was strong all across the board in the combine workouts. Robinson wasn’t all that good in some of the change of direction and lateral movement drills, which were important for linemen. Now don’t get me wrong, they’re both very good prospects. But Robinson doesn’t have a ton of pass-blocking experience either.

—You know, value meets draft position at both the safety and corner positions at No. 13. That would be the range for the top 2 safeties (Pryor and Clinton-Dix) and the top two corners (Gilbert and Dennard). So that could be the way to go there.

—I think Clinton-Dix has better range and is more of a free safety, which is what in theory you’re looking for. But I don’t think Pryor is a dud in coverage, either.

–Bradford Talk Shut Down? I shut it down because the Rams aren’t replacing Bradford. Not this year. Did you listen to Fisher and Snead at the combine, or were you too busy sticking needles in your Bradford voodoo doll? If the Rams were thinking of replacing Bradford this year I’d be writing about it.

—I’m thinking if it’s Robinson and there’s no Saffold on the roster _ and Long’s not ready for the opener _ that Barksdale probably would open at left tackle, and Robinson at right tackle. Once Long returns, it probably makes the most sense to play Robinson at guard.

—I think one Free Agent to keep in mind is Tennessee corner Alterraun Verner. He played for Fisher, played for Williams, made the Pro Bowl last year. I believe he’s only 26. Doesn’t look like Tennessee will franchise him. Could be expensive. Verner doesn’t have grade speed, but is very instinctive and intelligent on the field. Good ball skills.

—Boudreau is just a good coach, period. With that in mind, it might be nice to see him coach a top-flight pick for a change.

—Houston at #1? I’m just hearing they’re going quarterback.

—Who at #6 after Trade Down? If Watkins and Robinson are gone, take your pick of Lewan and Matthews.

—How will it be different with Greg Williams? He’ll be much more vocal on the practice field. He will welcome players’ input during games and on the practice field. He will blitz a little more. And the team will be more aggressive on first down.

—Watkins sure looks like the real deal. He’d be hard to pass --I think --even at No. 2 overall.

Read Complete JT Chat Highlights

*Credit to RamBill*

Last edited by a moderator:
JT’s Chat Highlights

–Bradford Talk Shut Down? I shut it down because the Rams aren’t replacing Bradford. Not this year. Did you listen to Fisher and Snead at the combine, or were you too busy sticking needles in your Bradford voodoo doll? If the Rams were thinking of replacing Bradford this year I’d be writing about it.

I do wish Bernie would stop asking questions.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Easy pass on Watkins. Matthews over Lewan is a no brainer. Were not all four of Bradford's INT's tips? Only one NOT, his own players? Incredible stat. On Verner...dead on in every aspect. B. Williams will be different..don't underestimate that. I agree on Dix vs. Pryor, although I like both of them. Dix is more Thomas, Pryor, is more Reed. Take your pick.

Who cares about Lewan's workout over Robinson or Matthews? Watch tape. Lewan is not close. If Matthews is available over both the other guys, I'd pull a hammy, and get a paper cut for Jake M.

I'll take Gilbert over Dennard, but there is better value available. Clowney would have a much better chance here than a lot of places, but is he the best fit for us?

JT, IMO, is NOT a very good talent evaluator, and his voice annoys me.

Out.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Easy pass on Watkins. Matthews over Lewan is a no brainer. Were not all four of Bradford's INT's tips? Only one NOT, his own players? Incredible stat. On Verner...dead on in every aspect. B. Williams will be different..don't underestimate that. I agree on Dix vs. Pryor, although I like both of them. Dix is more Thomas, Pryor, is more Reed. Take your pick.

Who cares about Lewan's workout over Robinson or Matthews? Watch tape. Lewan is not close. If Matthews is available over both the other guys, I'd pull a hammy, and get a paper cut for Jake M.

I'll take Gilbert over Dennard, but there is better value available. Clowney would have a much better chance here than a lot of places, but is he the best fit for us?

JT, IMO, is NOT a very good talent evaluator, and his voice annoys me.

Out.

JT is the shit, and I respect his opinion over a lot, but he has some some sort of love affair with Lewan. Did before the combine. It isn't hard to see the difference in performance vs the other 2 on tape, I agree.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
JT is the crap, and I respect his opinion over a lot, but he has some some sort of love affair with Lewan. Did before the combine. It isn't hard to see the difference in performance vs the other 2 on tape, I agree.
I have no problem with him, except evaluation and info.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I agree with JT on Watkins being HARD to pass on even at #2...

But I also agree with Doc,,, JT's voice is annoying as shit.

Now I'm very confused. o_O

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I agree with JT on Watkins being HARD to pass on even at #2...

But I also agree with Doc,,, JT's voice is annoying as crap.

Now I'm very confused. o_O
Haha, as in Dix.,,just kidding. Not kidding at Watkins at #2, not special enough for me..size wise, speed wise, physical wise, and then combativesniss wise at the combine. At #2, not impressive enough for me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
—Yeah, not much trade talk that I’m aware of at the Combine. But it’s a long way between now and May 8. I think Atlanta would be a good trade partner, partly because of the relationship between Snead and Dimitroff. But if the Rams have a very high grade on Clowney, I don’t know if they could pass.
Don't beat me up over this thought my friends but...i wonder if the Rams and Atlanta would consider a trade that involves sending Chris Long and another pick(probably our #13) to the Falcons for their #6 overall.

Falcons are in win now mode so they could immediately plug in C.Long and still be picking in the top 15.

The Rams could then draft Clowney,plug Willy Hayes in at LE and work Clowney into the rotation more effectively. Then we'd be sitting at pick #6 with options to either draft the BPA(Robinson,Matthews,Watkins) or move down from there to draft one of the top DB's and acquire and extra pick.

Just thinking out loud here.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Don't beat me up over this thought my friends but...i wonder if the Rams and Atlanta would consider a trade that involves sending Chris Long and another pick(probably our #13) to the Falcons for their #6 overall.

Falcons are in win now mode so they could immediately plug in C.Long and still be picking in the top 15.

The Rams could then draft Clowney,plug Willy Hayes in at LE and work Clowney into the rotation more effectively. Then we'd be sitting at pick #6 with options to either draft the BPA(Robinson,Matthews,Watkins) or move down from there to draft one of the top DB's and acquire and extra pick.

Just thinking out loud here.
Those are good thoughts, but why would they take Long over the Clown? Don't get it. Not a long learning curve at that position, especially for a rare talent.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Those are good thoughts, but why would they take Long over the Clown? Don't get it. Not a long learning curve at that position, especially for a rare talent.
Less risk is my thinking. They need that pass rush now,and they would still have the #13 pick to add another piece(impact LB?).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Believe me Doc,i'm not in love with Clowney but if the Rams are, i think it's going to be very hard for them to draft him #2 and then turn around and make him 3rd or 4th in the DE rotation. I believe like everyone else that they'll trade out of the #2 but if not?....

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Less risk is my thinking. They need that pass rush now,and they would still have the #13 pick to add another piece(impact LB?).
IMO that would be way too much for us to give up Long and a pick for a risk player, especially when, If we want him, we can take him at #2 overall. I don't get it, sell me,

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
IMO that would be way too much for us to give up Long and a pick for a risk player, especially when, If we want him, we can take him at #2 overall. I don't get it, sell me,
Ok i'll try Lol. Here's my long-winded attempt.
-We're still picking at #6 overall :)

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
So Atlanta would take Long+13 over drafting Clowney themselves? I can see your logic on the "win now mode" part but it makes no sense apart from that.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Does this scenario also have us keeping the #2 pick? That's the way I read it at least. If so, do we pick Clowney at 2? Who are you taking at 6 then, one of the OTs?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Does this scenario also have us keeping the #2 pick? That's the way I read it at least. If so, do we pick Clowney at 2? Who are you taking at 6 then, one of the OTs?
I'm confused also. But I'm tired, in pain , and drunk.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah. If the Rams love Clowney then essentially this deal would allow them to take him at #2 and then be sitting at pick #6(without the #13 pick). It would also allow them to more effectively work Clowney into the DE rotation behind Quinn and Hayes.

Having pick #6(with Clowney in hand) still gives us a ton of flexibility(trade down) and/or the ability to draft an impact player(Watkins/Matthews/Robinson).

It's almost like a trade down from #2 while still picking at #2. :confused:

I've had too much coffee already today.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams trade:
Chris Long
#13 pick

to Atlanta for
#6 pick

Rams pick at #2 and #6

Atlanta gets Long and picks at #13