Jrry's gonna love this... Houston favoring...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9320/blake-bortles

Former NFL Scout Russ Lande has been informed by "trusted sources" that the Texans are leaning toward selecting UCF's Blake Bortles or Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel with the No. 1 overall pick.

Per Lande, Manziel would "obviously be the choice" of Texans owner Bob McNair. We'd assume that's due to the whole Texas connection, wanting to keep Johnny Football home, and the excitement it would bring to the fan base. However, coach Bill O'Brien is reportedly concerned about Manziel's "work ethic and intangibles." Bortles has your prototypical size at 6-foot-4, 230 and has been linked to the Texans for the past month. We have a long way to go before May 8.

fearsomefour

Legend
Bortles, Manziel, Clowney....As the draft gets closer the heat will rise with the "best" players in the draft, as long as there is more than two we are in a good spot. If Cleveland doesnt add a QB via trade or FA and their desire for Manziel is not overstated we are in a great spot. Worst case we do not find a trade down partner and we have our choice of any OT, CB, S, OLB ect. Its a great spot to be in.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
One of the top QBs off the market could incite some QB needy team (MINN?) to make a move to #2!

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bortles, Manziel, Clowney....As the draft gets closer the heat will rise with the "best" players in the draft, as long as there is more than two we are in a good spot. If Cleveland doesnt add a QB via trade or FA and their desire for Manziel is not overstated we are in a great spot. Worst case we do not find a trade down partner and we have our choice of any OT, CB, S, OLB ect. Its a great spot to be in.
i think if bridgewater doesn't go #1, the phone will be ringing off the hook and we'll have another Rg3 type trade... there will be plenty of teams (like the vikes) who will want to move up. Tampa won't.

fearsomefour

Legend
i think if bridgewater doesn't go #1, the phone will be ringing off the hook and we'll have another Rg3 type trade... there will be plenty of teams (like the vikes) who will want to move up. Tampa won't.
Tampa, Atlanta, Oakland, Cleveland.....there are plenty there that make sense. The guy teams are willing to give up picks for will differ team to team, makes it interesting. Like I said #2 is a no lose spot for the Rams, hopefully we can really maximize the offer like we did with Washington.

iced

Tampa, Atlanta, Oakland, Cleveland.....there are plenty there that make sense. The guy teams are willing to give up picks for will differ team to team, makes it interesting. Like I said #2 is a no lose spot for the Rams, hopefully we can really maximize the offer like we did with Washington.

Tampa's not going to. Lovie has already said as much (they were talking about it here on the local radio a week ago)

RFIP

Bridgewater, the 2014 version of Geno?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Tampa's not going to. Lovie has already said as much (they were talking about it here on the local radio a week ago)

But you can't trust what these guys say about the draft, they could be laying a smoke screen. Is Glennon the answer.......maybe, maybe not.

I think MINN or CLE are more likely but wouldn't count out Tampa because everyone is always posturing this far from the draft.

fearsomefour

Legend
Ok, so, one possible partner down. I think Oakland is interesting as they have two QBs with upside, holes all over their roster and tons of cap space. It may just come down to Atlanta or Cleveland or maybe a dark horse will show up later on.

V3

Hall of Fame
Sorry, I don't buy this. It's way too early in the process for a team to know what they're doing. They haven't interviewed, had private workouts, or even had the combine. I'm betting there will be more reports that have the Texans leaning other directions as well before it's all said and done.

You can't believe anything this time of year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sorry, I don't buy this. It's way too early in the process for a team to know what they're doing. They haven't interviewed, had private workouts, or even had the combine. I'm betting there will be more reports that have the Texans leaning other directions as well before it's all said and done.

Yup

jjab360

Legend

If a team trusts their scouting department, all the little off the field stuff is just gravy. The tape don't lie.

I can definitely see a team holding the no.1 overall pick beginning to come to a consensus on who they plan on taking by now. All the time between now and May is just the media catching up.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Yeah exactly what I was thinking. I'm making a vow now...I won't give a shit about the draft until AFTER FA.

V3

Hall of Fame
If a team trusts their scouting department, all the little off the field stuff is just gravy. The tape don't lie.

I can definitely see a team holding the no.1 overall pick beginning to come to a consensus on who they plan on taking by now. All the time between now and May is just the media catching up.

It's possible the team knows who they want now(although, it'd be stupid to be set in stone before the aforementioned)but why would they be leaking it to the media so soon? There's a reason it was leaked. This was no accident.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I understand this is the season of misinformation, but if you're sitting at #1 and fully intend to use the pick what does it matter what you say?

iced

I understand this is the season of misinformation, but if you're sitting at #1 and fully intend to use the pick what does it matter what you say?

exactly... and it's not like they've had a track history of being wrong.. everyone had us pegged taking bradford in 2010 at the end of the season... pretty sure andrew luck and rg3 were obvious from the get go, especially luck...

Ramifications

In that scenario it wouldn't of course, but if they were trying to drum up interest for a possible trade down, it would be a good idea to convince other teams you might pick their target (say, Bortles or Manziel?).

I actually do expect HOU to take a QB, but they could be open to another team's blockbuster overtures (but with no Luck in this draft, unlikely).

There is disinformation. One reason to thing CLE may not be interested in Manziel, is reports that they are. :^) Though with that now being the default assumption, maybe we are moving past double crosses into triple crosses, and John Le Carre-like disdisinformation spycraft, where HOU really wants Manziel, but the best way to get other teams to think they really don't is to pretend to pretend they are interested.

This reminds me of the Wally Shawn poison scene in Princess Bride!

Last edited by a moderator:

V3

Hall of Fame

Because they may not use the pick. They want to see what offers they get. If someone blows them away, they'll trade out.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Because they may not use the pick. They want to see what offers they get. If someone blows them away, they'll trade out.
You're right, they may not, just like Indy could have traded their #1 pick in 2012 or KC could have traded theirs last year. My only contention is that if you're sitting at #1 you can say whatever you like because you hold the trump card.

tonyl711

Starter
no matter who the Texans take, there are still going to be 2 QBs, a DE and a LT that teams might be interested in trading to get. wouldn't surprise me if Snead trades to 8 or lower, then trades out of that spot too.