Jrry32 Way Too Early Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This mock won't be as much fun as @Memento 's mock but I'm bored and procrastinating. I'm going to base where we are picking on our current draft position.(obviously, if we finished below .500, I wouldn't want Fisher sticking around but there's still a lot of time left in the season)
Cut
Jared Cook TE
Rodger Saffold OG
Kenny Britt WR
Akeem Ayers LB

Re-sign
Janoris Jenkins - 5 years $40 million
Trumaine Johnson - 4 years $28 million
Mark Barron - 3 years $15 million
Greg Zuerlein - 3 years $9 million
Rodney McLeod - 3 years $15 million
Will Hayes - 2 years $6 million
Tim Barnes - 2 years $3 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Benny Cunningham - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender
Cory Harkey - RFA Tender
Brian Quick - 1 year $3 million ("prove it" deal)

Free Agency
580brooksOTA.jpg

Brandon Brooks OG - 5 years $32.5 million
DL Depth
LB Depth

Trade
Rams trade Round 1 Pick #17
Atlanta trades Round 1 Pick #29 and Round 2 Pick #29

Atlanta moves up for a pass rusher or a DB.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #29 - Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSh6yeGjWs8

Analysis: Boyd is the type of WR that falls on draft day. He's not huge (6'2" 200ish) and doesn't have outstanding straight-line speed. However, he possesses great acceleration, outstanding agility, a high level understanding of the game (high football IQ), advanced route running ability, top tier body control, and a good pair of hands. Boyd will drop some easy passes and his motor can run hot and cold as a blocker but he'll make a lot of difficult catches and is excellent at creating yardage after the catch. Like any college player, his route running needs some development but he's very advanced for a college WR and already uses subtle nuances in his route running that you typically only see in veteran NFL WRs. He's also coming from a pro style offense.
NFL Comparison: Keenan Allen

Round 2 Pick #17 - Nick Martin C/OG Notre Dame

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xUzWyiwXoY

Analysis: Zack's younger brother is a strong prospect in his own right. Isn't quite the nasty mauler that Evan Boehm is but Martin has a strong understanding of angles, good functional strength, and excellent feet and hands. I prefer him over Boehm because Martin is excellent in pass pro. He has quick feet and hands, a solid punch, and uses his hands extremely well. He definitely has polished handwork, good punch timing, and is comfortable handling games and blitzes up-front. Will give up a bit too much ground when getting bullrushed at times (although, I said the same thing about his brother) but keep his man in front of him, keeps his hands locked on, and does a great job of extending his arms and keeping the defender locked out. The only major knock I saw is that he has a tendency to get over-aggressive in both the run and passing game and can get caught with his head over his toes at times. But he's a polished, smart OL that can play anywhere on the interior OL and fits our hybrid power/zone scheme.
NFL Comparison: John Sullivan

Round 2 Pick #21 - Scooby Wright III ILB Arizona

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PUWnNxGqYE

Analysis: According to Arizona, Scooby Wright had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs in 2014 ALONE. Unfortunately for him, he's missed almost this entire season thus far with injuries. This is a kid that doesn't have the NFL look. He's listed at 6'1" 246. I think he'll come in closer to 5'11" 240. But he's a guy that plays with so much passion, relentlessness, and heart that his average athleticism and underwhelming size don't limit his game. He has top tier instincts, great play strength (gym rat), and plays with reckless abandon. Sometimes, that reckless abandon will cause him to miss tackles but it's worth it with how often he's in the back-field making plays. He's Arizona's defensive leader, he is the guy that makes sure everyone is lined up properly, and he's the heart of that defense. They also will move him down to DE on certain passing downs and he's a disruptive, relentless pass rusher. This guy is James Laurinaitis's heir apparent and I have a feeling Gregg Williams will find a way to use his versatile skill-set in the mean time.
NFL Comparison: Chris Borland

Round 2 Pick #29 - Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA1CLzZoCsw

Analysis: Wentz is my favorite developmental QB prospect in this draft because I believe he has enough flaws where he won't go first round but none of the flaws are fatal to me. They're all what I'd deem to be correctable with time and development. Wentz's biggest flaws are related to his lower body mechanics. He doesn't keep his feet active in the pocket. He tends to get flat-footed and let them die. This hinders his ability to use his lower body in throws, move in the pocket, and his accuracy. But this is a problem that I think can be easily fixed with time. What I think makes Wentz potentially special is that he has all the tools along with the instincts and intelligence. He's 6'5" 230 with great mobility and a rifle for an arm. He doesn't panic under pressure, understands how to climb the ladder in the pocket, and is willing to take a hit to deliver passes. I think he needs to do a better job of not locking onto his WRs as he'll sometimes miss open WRs because he gets tunnel vision. I also think he needs to do a better job of protecting the football as he fumbles a bit more than I like. Honestly, though, I feel bad for him because he's got such a cannon but has no WRs with any sort of speed at all. I think if you give this kid a year or two to develop behind Nick Foles, he could be a star. He led his team to a National Championship in his first year as a starter on a game winning TD drive in the final minute of the 4th quarter (the game linked above is the FCS National Championship). He has that "clutch" gene imo and he's the most physically talented QB to come out since Colin Kaepernick/Cam Newton.
NFL Comparison: None (can't think of anyone)

Round 3 Pick #17 - Austin Hooper TE Stanford

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmCxxE-tGsw

Analysis: Hooper might be my favorite TE in this draft class. I've still got a lot of guys to evaluate and I haven't finished my evaluation on Hooper either but so far, I like what I see. The number 1 thing that really drew me in on him was watching him block inline. He's a very good blocker and an asset in the running game for Stanford. He has the strength to push LBs off the LOS, he's capable of using his technique to seal defenders, and he does a nice job of using angles in the run game. In the passing game, he's not the athlete that Zach Ertz and Coby Fleener were but I still think he's an effective weapon. While he doesn't possess their straight-line speed, Hooper has good get-off, he runs solid routes, and he possesses strong hands. He has no issues making tough catches in traffic. He's a tough kid and throw-back TE. Type of kid that you can send over the middle to make those tough 3rd down catches. Basically, I think he's the anti-Jared Cook. Not an elite athlete (he's a good athlete though) but a good blocker that gives a lot of effort with a reliable pair of hands that will make the tough and routine catches for you. My only big concern is that he'll choose to return to Stanford for another season. Which I think is more likely than him declaring for the draft.
NFL Comparison: Zach Miller

Projected Starters
QB: Nick Foles
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Tyler Boyd
ZWR: Tavon Austin
SLWR: Stedman Bailey
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Brandon Brooks
C: Nick Martin
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I would have no problem with this draft. Love the FA signings and Re-signings, great draft with a few I'm high on too.

Good job Jerry!!!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yes, you drafted Scooby! I don't even care about the other picks (although they're rather nice) because you drafted Scooby fucking Wright!!

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
WR, OC, LB, QB, TE... that's a good draft, & good F/A. Not sure we're keeping Janoris, though, according to recent statements from him, so if there's not a bona-fide #1 WR in this draft, we may need a shut-down CB prospect to replace him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
LOL....love mocks.....WR...ahahahahahahah! ahahahahahahah! I've heard about that QB...never seen him....Hope to soon...I got a feeling it'll go DE/DT, LB, C....or OL/TE/C.....

Memento

Name
Jemma
Also, I'm wondering...we have a sixth round pick and a potential fourth. Why not use one of them on defensive linemen depth, particularly for defensive end?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
What are the ramifications of cutting Saffold after his first year of his new contract? I'm curious to see how much of a cap hit it would be for us.

Going after 2 more olinemen is intriguing. I sure hope the light turns on for Grob soon. If it doesn't by the end of the year, he may be our starting LG next year, possibly placing Battle at LT.
I'm more than OK with bringing in a talented rookie to push Barnes for the C spot.

If Tru or JJ walk, I would imagine CB would be a priority. We all know how Fish loves drafting secondary.

Stel

Starter
What are the ramifications of cutting Saffold after his first year of his new contract? I'm curious to see how much of a cap hit it would be for us.

This is the second year of his contract. All of his guaranteed money has been spent as of the end of the league year.

If he stays, we spend $5 mil in new cash and he is $6 mil of cap.
If cut, we save the $5 mil cash and take a $3 mil cap hit (the last 3 years of his prorated $5 mil signing bonus).

If it was me, even though I like Saffold, I'd cut him. He can't stay on the field. I'd resign him (or rewrite without cutting him) to an incentive heavy contract if he was interested.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Nice offseason signings and draft @jrry32. Do you value Scooby above Myles Jack?
Just curious and obviously Jaylon Smith will be gone.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice offseason signings and draft @jrry32. Do you value Scooby above Myles Jack?
Just curious and obviously Jaylon Smith will be gone.

I'm not sure. That's a tough one. I don't think Jack will be around that late, though. So it won't be a question I have to ponder haha.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL....love mocks.....WR...ahahahahahahah! ahahahahahahah! I've heard about that QB...never seen him....Hope to soon...I got a feeling it'll go DE/DT, LB, C....or OL/TE/C.....

We took Austin in the top 10. Personally, I think WRs are not super valuable...and are one of the last positions to address...but we've reached that point where it's time to address it.

I'll be pretty angry if they go DL again in the first unless the guy they draft is just incredible value.

Snead hasn't exactly been predictable, though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'll be pretty angry if they go DL again in the first
Be prepared to get angry....If we grab Bosa...or that Oakman guy ...I won't be throwing shit at my TV...Just surprised....

All the wr you've seen this year, who's your favorite again? The guy from ND?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Be prepared to get angry....If we grab Bosa...or that Oakman guy ...I won't be throwing crap at my TV...Just surprised....

Tyler Boyd is my favorite right now.

As I said, unless the guy is incredible value. Bosa would be incredible value.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This is the second year of his contract. All of his guaranteed money has been spent as of the end of the league year.

If he stays, we spend $5 mil in new cash and he is $6 mil of cap.
If cut, we save the $5 mil cash and take a $3 mil cap hit (the last 3 years of his prorated $5 mil signing bonus).

If it was me, even though I like Saffold, I'd cut him. He can't stay on the field. I'd resign him (or rewrite without cutting him) to an incentive heavy contract if he was interested.
I thought this is the 1st year. He was a FA in the offseason and was turned away from the Raiders.

Or am I wrong and missing a year.:confused:

Memento

Name
Jemma
Be prepared to get angry....If we grab Bosa...or that Oakman guy ...I won't be throwing crap at my TV...Just surprised....

I'd throw shit at the TV if Oakman was the guy. Very lazy player who has significant character issues. I'd much rather have Emmanuel Ogbah. Like it or not, we're going to need a defensive end this year, and it could be in the first round. Chris Long has injury issues stemming back three years, and he's not getting any younger. William Hayes and Eugene Sims are in contract years as well. We may grab a DE or two in a deep and talented class.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'd throw crap at the TV if Oakman was the guy. Very lazy player who has significant character issues.
Really? I'd heard about the character stuff....Now, if he's playing like Clowney....I don't want him either...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd throw crap at the TV if Oakman was the guy. Very lazy player who has significant character issues. I'd much rather have Emmanuel Ogbah. Like it or not, we're going to need a defensive end this year, and it could be in the first round. Chris Long has injury issues stemming back three years, and he's not getting any younger. William Hayes and Eugene Sims are in contract years as well. We may grab a DE or two in a deep and talented class.

Not really. We don't NEED a DE. We might choose to draft one to prepare for the future. But I don't see it as a first round need. So the only way I'd draft one is if he's amazing value. Like Aaron Donald.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Only four players in the first round on the defensive side i'd draft if we had the chance to, and in order they are: Jaylon Smith, Hargreaves III, Ramsey and Ogbah. Bosa will be long gone IMO so no need to put him on here. Chances are Ogbah will be only one available, and an offensive player will be graded higher than him that we pick.