Jrry32 Trade Up Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I could live with this draft and FA easily. Good job Jerry. I have no problem giving up a future first for a (hopefully) franchise QB. The rest of the draft is as solid as it gets as well. Really liking this one. (y)

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This might be the first time I don't really like one of your drafts lol. I'm not a Mariota fan so I guess I would never make that deal. I'm ok with you 2nd and 3rd rounders although I like the upside of a guy like Laken Tomlinson in the 2nd.

Do you really think Langford last till the 5th. That would be a nice grab if he was.

As always a good read!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Well, I have a number of issues with this mock. Since the OP was so straight forward with mine, i'll attempt to be equally fair with his. There are some things to like here and others, ... not so much. Many of the QB hungry crowd will swoon at the thought of drafting Mariota, although I believe you may have shortchanged his cost to the Rams for such a trade, especially in a QB needy draft. Also, I have little confidence yet to suggest that Mariota/Winston won't go 1 & 2. Mettenberger doesn't especially grab me as the permanent starter for Tennessee. While other trade partners have been mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chicago make a bid along with others who are in a closer drafting position to the top.

Before getting ahead of myself with the draft, perhaps we should address what comes first, free agency. The one pick I really like seems quite improbable as Cincinnati looks to be in a very solid CAP situation going forward into 2015. I actually prefer Boling over Iupati at LG and have mocked him myself in the past, but unlike Iupati, I have more serious doubts he ever hits the market. I also see his CAP cost as higher than you have him projected.
As Douzable would be strictly rotational and at a more reasonable cost, I still see him as a step backwards from Langford. We could make up for this somewhat by increasing snap percentage for Brockers/Donald, but i'm not sure that is in our best interests. There is another issue rapidly approaching our D-Line, that Brockers will be entering his 'contract' season in 2015, and Chris Long's explosive CAP hit will need addressing sooner rather than later. With these two contracts and a rotational DT who is probably not promotable, 2016 could get a little too interesting.
As for FB, has Fisher ever drafted or chosen a free agent FB before ? I'm not sure on this. Personally, I don't know enough about John Conner, or if he will be as flexible as Kendricks or Harkey in the line-up. He doesn't seem to be as highly regarded as some other free agent FB's currently listed. The OP has kept potential free agent CAP costs down in a year we have a little extra to spend, but while addressing depth somewhat, i'm not sure this helps Fisher get his team to the next level.

While i'm in complete agreement with the OP's release segment of presently contracted players, I guess i'm in a minority on the re-sign segment where Barksdale gets another 4 years at $6.mil per. This would make me ill. Hopefully Saffold back at RG partially helps Barksdale get back on track, but I have seen nothing out of the guy, other than his health, that would permit me to invest another 4 years in him, especially at such a high CAP cost.

OK, lets get back to the draft. Besides what I have already spoken to in regards with Mariota, this pick would indeed spell the end of the Bradford era. Of course, this may well be the proper move & the right time, but should, by some happenstance, Bradford actually be recovered from previous injury, go an entire season while putting up the solid numbers expected last year, his new status as a healthy/recovered/solid starting QB, ... would all be for naught, ... at least as far as the Rams are concerned. As a free agent, he could go forward not only commanding another big payday, but will be highly sought after by several very needy teams. Of course, this is all a big if, the Rams could win or lose this gamble, so I imagine many of us will be following his career forward. Seems many if not most Rams fans are ready to part ways with Bradford, I just hope it doesn't all backfire on us should he go on to a healthy & successful future with a team which provides him better offensive support.
I guess my next objection to this draft is due to the fact that not a single player, based on your own assumptions & starting depth chart, becomes a starter in 2015. I'm not sure how this fills present holes or helps Fisher get the needed winning season that may help him keep his job. Its a draft for depth only. I also have to agree with a previous poster who mentions his doubt that your 3'rd round CB pick falls to us quite so late. And relying on Barrett Jones to finally step up into a starting role at Center, that feels like a huge gamble, especially with so little behind him. I might take that 2'nd round pick of yours and hope someone like Reese Dismukes is still available, at least we might actually have one draftee who breaks into the starting line-up. Forgive my harsh opinions, it is only that, just another meaningless opinion, these mocks do require time and effort, but I would be disappointed if this is how our 2015 season were to progress. The Mariota move could be prophetic, just seems a huge longshot at a big price.

jmo.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Rams are under by around a million right now...not counting the small amount of rollover money we have.

As far as Wisniewski goes, I don't see it happening. Oakland has far more money than we do and there will likely be other teams that can offer similar money and a better shot at winning. But I won't be upset if it happens.

I can't see the Jets trading for RGIII.

Just can't see Washington getting enough value to give up on him.

That is what I am saying.With the roll over money the Rams are over the current cap. If it is raised to 140 million, then the Rams, as is, would be 5 million under it. So take your proposed cuts and add 5 million. That would add up to a good amount of cash to work with.

However, they could be conservative and try to save some of it to sign their own FA. The following year the cap is supposed to hit 160. Which would really aid in resigning the young players.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
That is what I am saying.With the roll over money the Rams are over the current cap. If it is raised to 140 million, then the Rams, as is, would be 5 million under it. So take your proposed cuts and add 5 million. That would add up to a good amount of cash to work with.

However, they could be conservative and try to save some of it to sign their own FA. The following year the cap is supposed to hit 160. Which would really aid in resigning the young players.

With Oakland entering the 2015 off-season with only about $94.mil in spent CAP, Wiz seems like a real longshot.

Elm, do you have a link on that proposed 2016 rise in overall CAP ? I haven't seen that before, it would be nice to read about it. Thanks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/12/11/7376451/nfl-salary-cap-nflpa-2015

I think this is the one.

The NFL owners came out of meetings Wednesday with an idea of the 2015 salary cap, but the NFL Players Association has a different opinion.

The National Football League had its owners meetings this week, and one of many topics covered was the projected salary cap for 2015. The owners gave an approximate number between $138.6 and $141.8 million, per ESPN's Adam Schefter. However, the NFL Players Association disagrees, expecting the number to be much higher.
On Thursday morning, the NFLPA released a memo to its executive committee, player reps and contract advisers, with its view on the subject:
"As you may have read, recent media reports from the NFL owners meetings in Dallas projected the 2015 NFL Salary Cap to be between $138.6 and $141.8 million. Last year, these same "projections" called for a flat cap that was ultimately a $10 million increase from the previous year. The salary cap is inextricably tied to League revenues and as we saw last year, substantial increases in revenue will lead to substantial increases in the salary cap.
We have become increasingly concerned about these early projections and in the upcoming months the NFLPA will issue projections based upon our analysis of expected revenue. We believe that this will aid players, agents and general managers to more effectively forecast the salary cap and aid players in contract negotiations. Additionally, we will provide you with information previously shared with players about the current spending levels of all teams and their compliance with the minimum cash spending requirements of the new CBA.
As Partners in this business, our expectation is that NFL revenues will continue to grow and our business will continue to thrive."
In so many words, the NFLPA is basically stating that with league revenues coming in at a higher percentage than ever before, the cap should continue to increase at an equal rate. When the NFLPA comes out with its own cap projection, it will likely be somewhere well north of the NFL's figure.
The current salary cap is $133 million, so even if the NFL's lowest figure becomes reality, it is still a $5 million jump. With the NFLPA getting testy about the figure, it is safe to assume the final number will be higher, giving the league another serious jump in salary without increasing the size of rosters.
There are a few teams that would love to see a serious increase in the cap, specifically the New Orleans Saints. Should the cap number settle on $140 million, New Orleans would actually have to shave $20 million just to be cap compliant, per Over the Cap. The Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers and Miami Dolphins would also have to shed contracts to fit under the salary cap.
Here is how the 2015 cap breaks down for each team, projected at $140 million:
TeamCap Space
Oakland Raiders$53,351,162
Jacksonville Jaguars$43,542,172
New York Jets$41,415,680
Cleveland Browns$38,181,890
Seattle Seahawks$34,391,030
Tennessee Titans$33,296,652
Indianapolis Colts$31,724,674
Denver Broncos$31,113,668
Tampa Bay Buccaneers$31,093,495
Chicago Bears$30,970,313
Cincinnati Bengals$29,940,910
Atlanta Falcons$26,836,029
San Diego Chargers$26,223,487
Green Bay Packers$17,784,036
Buffalo Bills$17,365,927
New York Giants$17,343,332
Detroit Lions$16,962,243
Washington$15,759,322
Houston Texans$11,072,218
Carolina Panthers$10,815,777
Minnesota Vikings$9,852,564
St. Louis Rams$5,395,253
Philadelphia Eagles$4,508,844
Pittsburgh Steelers$4,425,765
Baltimore Ravens$3,295,483
Dallas Cowboys$2,297,645
Kansas City Chiefs$1,745,325
New England Patriots$1,589,619
Miami Dolphins-$2,611,177
San Francisco 49ers-$9,087,358
Arizona Cardinals-$9,843,495
New Orleans Saints-$20,010,991
Teams can also carry over cap space from this season into 2015, helping some cap-strapped franchises save a few million, with the numbers per the NFLPA. Jacksonville and Cleveland have the most carryover of any team at $22 and $19 million, respectively. Philadelphia comes in third, carrying over $15 million, with the Jets at $12 million and the Titans at $11 million filling out the five highest totals.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Here is another claiming 145 million.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/cap-could-hit-160-million-in-2016/

Cap could hit $160 million in 2016
Posted by Mike Florio on March 7, 2014, 8:27 AM EST
wbbm-1018-cash.jpg
Getty Images
When the salary cap jumped from $123 million to $133 million last week, some suggested it could move to $140 million in 2015 and $150 million in 2016.
Think higher.
One source with knowledge of the process (but not the same source who was on the money — pun lame but intended — when providing info about the 2014 cap) tells PFT that the cap could spike to $145 million in 2015 and a whopping $160 million in 2016.
A large jump wouldn’t be a major surprise. While the new TV deals kick in this year (including the recent Thursday night CBS simulcast), the revenue increase won’t hit the cap until next year.
That raises an intriguing question: Why did the cap go up by $320 million based on 2013 revenues? With a 50-50 split in revenue between the owners and players, the increase reflects $640 million in new money.
The full truth as to the bump, annually negotiated by the NFL and NFLPA, never will be known. The teams, however, didn’t anticipate it. Last October, owners were told that the cap would increase by only $3.3 million, to $126.3 million. More recently, the number was pegged increasing by $128.3 million.
As one source explained it to PFT, that’s the number most if not all owners used when establishing their budgets for the upcoming free-agency period. It means that most if not all General Managers will have to persuade their owners to increase the budget in light of the increased cap room.
In Dallas, that would be an interesting conversation.
Moving forward, teams may want to make multiple budgets, because the information the teams are getting from the NFL has been suggesting much lower growth. For now, it’ll be interesting to see whether many/any teams alter their budgets in light of the unexpected spike in the cap.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Unless Fisher is going to be open to running a less traditional offense (like Auburn's), I'd rather the Rams acquire Mike Glennon than trade up for Mariota.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Thanks for the links, much appreciated.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As long as Redskins don't want more, I would ecstatic with this draft. Sets us up for the future, but allows us to be contenders in 2015 as well. You really have a knack for this stuff Jrry. I can't complain.

The only issue I have is that because Mariota is a "franchise QB" type prospect, the Redskins might want even more than that.. Though now that I think about it, the drop off in talent between 5 and 10 might not be as big of a deal in this draft. Depends on how they see it.

Redskins can certainly ask for more. The question is...who will give it to them? ;)

Keep in mind that they might be competing with Oakland and Jacksonville as those guys might be willing to trade down too. While I don't see a ton of teams willing to trade up.

This might be the first time I don't really like one of your drafts lol. I'm not a Mariota fan so I guess I would never make that deal. I'm ok with you 2nd and 3rd rounders although I like the upside of a guy like Laken Tomlinson in the 2nd.

Do you really think Langford last till the 5th. That would be a nice grab if he was.

As always a good read!

Ya know, I took a look at Tomlinson and I really expected more. He undoubtedly has talent but he just wasn't dominating the man in front of him. That's why I took Matias. I saw Tomlinson have some issues with the quickness of Chickillo in the Miami game when they moved him inside.

Tomlinson has plenty of upside and I like how low he is coming off the ball and while sitting in his stance but Matias was getting better movement in the games I watched and was more consistent in pass pro.

I do think Langford could last to the 5th. There are a lot of HBs available on Days 1 and 2. Teams tend to undervalue them. So I think one or two will slide. But after the 5th, there isn't much.

I don't expect everyone to be on board with Mariota. A month ago, I might not have been. But watching more games, I feel a little more comfortable with the move. I think he's shown some ability to process things quickly and work through progressions. Although, I still think he needs improvement which is why I think we should hold on to Bradford.

Unless Fisher is going to be open to running a less traditional offense (like Auburn's), I'd rather the Rams acquire Mike Glennon than trade up for Mariota.

I think we both can agree that probably won't happen. But I do think with the OCs we're looking into, that we could see some read option and I also believe that Mariota can work within the confines of a NFL offense.

Mariota is such a question mark for me. I know we have to upgrade the qb position and I'm assuming we'd be hoping to red-shirt him as long as possible, but I'd hate to give up that first next year, even if it would ideally be towards the bottom of the round.

Same boat. But we might have to do it. And if that's the case, I guess I'm willing.

Never guna hapin'!! Mainly because, no way will Fisher/Snead do all that Tading and wait until the 6th round to grab a LB, CB or some other D Player!!

You're probably right. These mocks are typically more what I'd do than what the Rams would do. Although, sometimes I get lucky and get a pick or two right. :)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I have a number of issues with this mock. Since the OP was so straight forward with mine, i'll attempt to be equally fair with his. There are some things to like here and others, ... not so much. Many of the QB hungry crowd will swoon at the thought of drafting Mariota, although I believe you may have shortchanged his cost to the Rams for such a trade, especially in a QB needy draft. Also, I have little confidence yet to suggest that Mariota/Winston won't go 1 & 2. Mettenberger doesn't especially grab me as the permanent starter for Tennessee. While other trade partners have been mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised to see Chicago make a bid along with others who are in a closer drafting position to the top.

I think the best thing to keep in mind is the philosophy of the coaches. Tennessee has Whisenhunt. Whisenhunt does not like rookie QBs. I wouldn't be shocked if they inquired about Bradford if we were to take Mariota. Ultimately, I think Tennessee signs a guy like Matt Moore or another veteran to compete with Mettenberger and focuses on building up their roster. I don't think Whisenhunt will like Mariota. He's an old school guy. While I think he'd like Winston's skill-set, one of my buddies who is a very knowledgeable Cardinals fan thinks that their personalities wouldn't mesh. Either ways, I'm not seeing Tennessee going QB at #2.

I doubt Chicago trades up for many of the same reasons. I don't see John Fox moving on from Cutler for a guy like Mariota. And even if they entertain it, I don't think they're going to be willing to outbid us.

I think, ultimately, our competition is the Jets. And I think New York isn't going to be willing to go all in this off-season.

Before getting ahead of myself with the draft, perhaps we should address what comes first, free agency. The one pick I really like seems quite improbable as Cincinnati looks to be in a very solid CAP situation going forward into 2015. I actually prefer Boling over Iupati at LG and have mocked him myself in the past, but unlike Iupati, I have more serious doubts he ever hits the market. I also see his CAP cost as higher than you have him projected.

He may not hit the market. But Cincy won't franchise him so that means getting a deal done before FA. As far as his cap cost goes, it's right in line with the contracts signed within the past year by Jon Asamoah, Geoff Schwartz, and Brandon Fusco. Guards tend to be underpaid and Boling isn't an elite player. Just a solid starter. But his cost could be higher. FA is difficult to project for the mid level guys.

As Douzable would be strictly rotational and at a more reasonable cost, I still see him as a step backwards from Langford. We could make up for this somewhat by increasing snap percentage for Brockers/Donald, but i'm not sure that is in our best interests. There is another issue rapidly approaching our D-Line, that Brockers will be entering his 'contract' season in 2015, and Chris Long's explosive CAP hit will need addressing sooner rather than later. With these two contracts and a rotational DT who is probably not promotable, 2016 could get a little too interesting.
As for FB, has Fisher ever drafted or chosen a free agent FB before ? I'm not sure on this. Personally, I don't know enough about John Conner, or if he will be as flexible as Kendricks or Harkey in the line-up. He doesn't seem to be as highly regarded as some other free agent FB's currently listed. The OP has kept potential free agent CAP costs down in a year we have a little extra to spend, but while addressing depth somewhat, i'm not sure this helps Fisher get his team to the next level.

Douzable was one of the league's better run stoppers the past couple years for NYJ. Plus, I brought in J.T. Surratt in the draft who is known for his run stuffing ability. I think they can get the job done.

As you said before, we have the cap to cover Brockers next year. Long will have to be addressed...but that will likely be next year.

Fisher always had a FB in Tennessee. Conner doesn't offer the versatility on offense but I don't think that's particularly important. Harkey takes Kendricks's role as the blocking TE and Conner is the true FB. Conner is also a very capable of special teams player. And he's a quality lead blocker.

I guess where you and I mainly disagree is what is needed to get this team to the next level. I don't think free agency is it. I think the draft is it. We're very close to that next level. We just have a couple spots to fill. I think FA is useful for us to improve depth and add a guy like Boling to help our OL out. But ultimately, spending a lot isn't necessary and it hasn't been beneficial in the past. I'm very big on conserving our money, focusing on solid value signings in FA, and then building this team through the draft.

While i'm in complete agreement with the OP's release segment of presently contracted players, I guess i'm in a minority on the re-sign segment where Barksdale gets another 4 years at $6.mil per. This would make me ill. Hopefully Saffold back at RG partially helps Barksdale get back on track, but I have seen nothing out of the guy, other than his health, that would permit me to invest another 4 years in him, especially at such a high CAP cost.

It wouldn't be heavy on guarantees. But that's the going rate for a solid RT.

OK, lets get back to the draft. Besides what I have already spoken to in regards with Mariota, this pick would indeed spell the end of the Bradford era. Of course, this may well be the proper move & the right time, but should, by some happenstance, Bradford actually be recovered from previous injury, go an entire season while putting up the solid numbers expected last year, his new status as a healthy/recovered/solid starting QB, ... would all be for naught, ... at least as far as the Rams are concerned. As a free agent, he could go forward not only commanding another big payday, but will be highly sought after by several very needy teams. Of course, this is all a big if, the Rams could win or lose this gamble, so I imagine many of us will be following his career forward. Seems many if not most Rams fans are ready to part ways with Bradford, I just hope it doesn't all backfire on us should he go on to a healthy & successful future with a team which provides him better offensive support.

Ultimately, yes, it would. Sam would start in 2015 and Mariota would take over in 2016. It sucks. I think a lot of Bradford but we simply can't hitch our wagon to him at this point. He's got one year left on his deal and even if he stays healthy and plays well this year, do you feel comfortable offering him a large deal with all his past injuries?

And even if we offer him a short extension, who do you bring in behind him? He hasn't played the last 25 games. There's a very real possibility he gets injured again. And I don't want to be left out in the cold if that happens.

It's a lose-lose situation. But I think coming away with a young possible franchise QB that we could take a year to develop could turn this into a winning situation. Sam gets to rehab his value for free agency and Mariota gets a year to learn our offense. And I'll wish Sam the best of luck on another team after the year because I like the kid. He's just too big of a risk for us to keep taking.

I guess my next objection to this draft is due to the fact that not a single player, based on your own assumptions & starting depth chart, becomes a starter in 2015. I'm not sure how this fills present holes or helps Fisher get the needed winning season that may help him keep his job. Its a draft for depth only. I also have to agree with a previous poster who mentions his doubt that your 3'rd round CB pick falls to us quite so late. And relying on Barrett Jones to finally step up into a starting role at Center, that feels like a huge gamble, especially with so little behind him. I might take that 2'nd round pick of yours and hope someone like Reese Dismukes is still available, at least we might actually have one draftee who breaks into the starting line-up. Forgive my harsh opinions, it is only that, just another meaningless opinion, these mocks do require time and effort, but I would be disappointed if this is how our 2015 season were to progress. The Mariota move could be prophetic, just seems a huge longshot at a big price.

You don't hand rookies starting jobs if you have capable veterans. I'm sorry man but the fact that there are zero rookies starting is not negative, it's a huge positive. Bad teams rely on a bunch of rookie starters. Good teams have the talent to develop their picks and play them when they're ready.

Most guys aren't ready to jump in and play from day 1. This isn't a draft for depth, realistically, our picks in the first, second, third, and fifth round could all develop into starters. But I'm not expecting any to be ready to unseat a solid to good veteran player their rookie year.

Who knows, maybe Matias is ready to unseat Boling. In that case, Boling gives us the best 6th OL in the NFL.

As far as Center is concerned, I'm not taking Dismukes there because I don't have him rated as the #1 player on my board in that spot.

This wasn't a draft for "depth". This was a draft for the future. I think too many people lose sight of that. You're not drafting a guy for what he'll do year one. You're drafting him for what he'll do over the course of his first contract...and hopefully his second one.

How does it help Fisher? Well, lets be honest, Fisher had a team that could have gotten a winning season last year. But the new scheme on defense caused them to not hit their stride in the first half of the season and the injury to our starting QB dragged us down into another losing year. Neither will be a problem in 2015 if this mock were to happen. Bradford goes down...okay, Mariota steps in. The OL has been improved. And we've retained all our key players.

Fisher has the players in place to deal with injuries which will happen and the talent in place to make the playoffs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can dig it, but I don't think Ogbuehi makes it out of the 2nd, much less to the end of 3. Maybe swap that choice with Andy Gallik, C from Boston College.

Brandon Thomas fell from being an expected late first round pick to the late third last year with the same injury. Ogbuehi could certainly get drafted earlier. And if he does, I'd be ready to pick someone else. But he was overvalued in the media before his injury and I think he could very possibly fall to the third. Before his injury, imo, he was going in the second half of the first round...if not later. He struggled this year at LT, there are some questions about his toughness and work/practice habits, and his technique needs a ton of refinement.

He has outstanding physical tools but he had a lot of question marks...and now he has a torn ACL. I don't think it's unrealistic to believe he could be there in the third.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I finally had time to really consider this mock.

1. I am not a huge Mariotta fan but one thing that he has going for him is that he is intelligent and processes information quickly. That alone is a huge attribute that many physically gifted QBs didn't have. After listening to ESPN radio it opened my eyes to how quickly Mariotta processes what he is seeing on the field and makes the correct decisions. He is a master at looking for weakness and taking advantage of it with the right play call. That is what that offense is all about. There are a few comparisons out there but from a mental standpoint he compares to Russell Wilson. Mariotta is fast too. Speed and quick decision making are a great combo. Sam is always too slow to read and react. That is part of the reason he is so bad under pressure IMO.

2. I really would prefer Cam Erving at that spot but maybe he is gone. Any top Guard/Center would be a huge need filler and Matias is good value. BTW I have zero faith that Barrett Jones will be a good Center for the Rams. I am holding out hope that if Snead does not take a Center here that Fisher/Boudreau really did mean it when they said they saw good things from Demetrius Rhaney.

3. I like Ogbuehi's potential but I do not like taking a guy with an ACL injury in round 3. I get the draft for the future idea but this is eerily reminiscent of Barrett Jones.

5. I love the Jeremy Langford pick. I really don't think he lasts this long but if he does he would have to be BPA. Now do the Rams need another RB? I don't know how much he gets used but he is good depth and probably better depth than Trey Watts.

6. Surrat is a guy that I admittedly know nothing about other than what you wrote here. What do you really get at 6 anyway. If he can become a rotational DT then good. I like the idea of these late round guys being special teamers and a DT is not so likely to contribute there so Surrat would have to be good to stick on the roster.

7. Tevin McDonald is something the Rams already have in abundance isn't he? Another player with Character issues is not the my favorite unless he is a QB that you cannot ignore.

The draft as a whole is not a deep one so it is difficult to expect a lot out of it at this point and trading up for Mariotta is a good plan. Getting Boling would be a good security blanket and grabbing an able guard in round 2 may be all we can realistically hope for in a shallow draft class, when considering the makeup of the Rams roster. There are no great LBers and the defense is all but set positionally. The only place I can see anyone realistically cracking the lineup is at G/C and possibly QB with an injury. If the trade up for Mariotta didn't materialize then we are probably looking at Clemmons or a top WR which works too.

It is so different going into drafts with such subdue expectations.

paceram

Pro Bowler

Thanks Den! Roman Gabriel was the Rams QB when I first started watching them MANY years ago and he is still one of my alltime favorite Rams player and is still my favorite alltime Rams QB (With, Warner being a very close second!)!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thanks Den! Roman Gabriel was the Rams QB when I first started watching them MANY years ago and he is still one of my alltime favorite Rams player and is still my favorite alltime Rams QB (With, Warner being a very close second!)!

Ditto for me too although I always post here since Hadl the first Ram Quarterback I remember is the great Roman Garbriel. They never questioned Roman's size or arm strength that's for sure!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I finally had time to really consider this mock.

1. I am not a huge Mariotta fan but one thing that he has going for him is that he is intelligent and processes information quickly. That alone is a huge attribute that many physically gifted QBs didn't have. After listening to ESPN radio it opened my eyes to how quickly Mariotta processes what he is seeing on the field and makes the correct decisions. He is a master at looking for weakness and taking advantage of it with the right play call. That is what that offense is all about. There are a few comparisons out there but from a mental standpoint he compares to Russell Wilson. Mariotta is fast too. Speed and quick decision making are a great combo. Sam is always too slow to read and react. That is part of the reason he is so bad under pressure IMO.

2. I really would prefer Cam Erving at that spot but maybe he is gone. Any top Guard/Center would be a huge need filler and Matias is good value. BTW I have zero faith that Barrett Jones will be a good Center for the Rams. I am holding out hope that if Snead does not take a Center here that Fisher/Boudreau really did mean it when they said they saw good things from Demetrius Rhaney.

3. I like Ogbuehi's potential but I do not like taking a guy with an ACL injury in round 3. I get the draft for the future idea but this is eerily reminiscent of Barrett Jones.

5. I love the Jeremy Langford pick. I really don't think he lasts this long but if he does he would have to be BPA. Now do the Rams need another RB? I don't know how much he gets used but he is good depth and probably better depth than Trey Watts.

6. Surrat is a guy that I admittedly know nothing about other than what you wrote here. What do you really get at 6 anyway. If he can become a rotational DT then good. I like the idea of these late round guys being special teamers and a DT is not so likely to contribute there so Surrat would have to be good to stick on the roster.

7. Tevin McDonald is something the Rams already have in abundance isn't he? Another player with Character issues is not the my favorite unless he is a QB that you cannot ignore.

The draft as a whole is not a deep one so it is difficult to expect a lot out of it at this point and trading up for Mariotta is a good plan. Getting Boling would be a good security blanket and grabbing an able guard in round 2 may be all we can realistically hope for in a shallow draft class, when considering the makeup of the Rams roster. There are no great LBers and the defense is all but set positionally. The only place I can see anyone realistically cracking the lineup is at G/C and possibly QB with an injury. If the trade up for Mariotta didn't materialize then we are probably looking at Clemmons or a top WR which works too.

It is so different going into drafts with such subdue expectations.

I'm not sure Tevin is something we have in abundance. Moves like a CB but hits like a McDonald. He's more of a free safety than a strong safety. Really different type of player than his brother. Some think he might end up at CB in the NFL.

On Ogbuehi, I think the juice is worth the squeeze. Different scenario than Jones. Jones was an overachiever who won technique and football IQ with a Lisfranc injury. Ogbuehi is more of an underachiever than anything. Unbelievable feet along with the length and power needed but his technique is bad and there have been some reports about his character.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
1) I guess where you and I mainly disagree is what is needed to get this team to the next level. I don't think free agency is it. I think the draft is it. We're very close to that next level. We just have a couple spots to fill. I think FA is useful for us to improve depth and add a guy like Boling to help our OL out. But ultimately, spending a lot isn't necessary and it hasn't been beneficial in the past. I'm very big on conserving our money, focusing on solid value signings in FA, and then building this team through the draft.

2) You don't hand rookies starting jobs if you have capable veterans. I'm sorry man but the fact that there are zero rookies starting is not negative, it's a huge positive. Bad teams rely on a bunch of rookie starters. Good teams have the talent to develop their picks and play them when they're ready.
Most guys aren't ready to jump in and play from day 1. This isn't a draft for depth, realistically, our picks in the first, second, third, and fifth round could all develop into starters. But I'm not expecting any to be ready to unseat a solid to good veteran player their rookie year.
This wasn't a draft for "depth". This was a draft for the future. I think too many people lose sight of that. You're not drafting a guy for what he'll do year one. You're drafting him for what he'll do over the course of his first contract...and hopefully his second one.

1) Yes, I agree that this is where we disagree. (y)

While I would almost always agree that building thru the draft is the wiser choice, there can at times be relevant alternatives, and a 4'th year Coach who needs to prove something might be just that exception. We may disagree on how secure Fisher's job becomes with another losing season or otherwise poor performances by his staff and/or players, but even Kroenke is bound to lose patience at some point. For 3 years JF has built thru the draft, and most of us realize you can't successfully turn over 40 plus players in that time frame by only utilizing the draft. We may also disagree as to the severity of our depth. While the defense has greatly improved under Fisher, our offense has largely languished. By all means the Rams should continue to build thru the draft, I just happen to believe our team has reached that crucial point where a few quality pieces added thru free agency can make a pivotal difference at positions of need, especially in a draft which already lacks a couple picks from an earlier trade. And i'm not talking about older vets being brought in, but young talent working on their second contract, guys that may stick for awhile. Perhaps Fisher's greatest crisis is his record, but the Rams may have a few extra CAP dollars available for the first time in quite some time, so why not use them to improve the roster ?
C, LG, RT, FS, WR, LB & QB are all positions fans speculate about our lack of depth, and knowing we won't necessarily find top talent to fill each of these positions, the Rams can decide whether free agency might fill a couple of these areas to better compete. You have stated yourself the belief of being close to that next level, I only ask that better use of free agency may help get us over the hump and deeper into the play-off picture.

2) I believe there is a reasonable expectation that on a team with depth issues, a starter should manifest itself from a higher draft pick. I'm not talking about handing out jobs, even Robinson had to wait several games to get involved, but of the 8 previously mentioned positions where starting depth is an issue, hopefully we draft well enough to make a real difference. You mention unseating good vets, other than possibly at WR, just which of these positions has such a good vet that they shouldn't be considered for replacement/demotion ? I also believe the Rams are close, but I happen to believe its finally time to make that extra effort, and a good free agency may just make the difference. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2) I believe there is a reasonable expectation that on a team with depth issues, a starter should manifest itself from a higher draft pick. I'm not talking about handing out jobs, even Robinson had to wait several games to get involved, but of the 8 previously mentioned positions where starting depth is an issue, hopefully we draft well enough to make a real difference. You mention unseating good vets, other than possibly at WR, just which of these positions has such a good vet that they shouldn't be considered for replacement/demotion ? I also believe the Rams are close, but I happen to believe its finally time to make that extra effort, and a good free agency may just make the difference. jmo.

Well, looking at our first four picks, Ogbuehi isn't an option due to his injury. So going to the other three, these would be the players they'd have to unseat:
Mariota -> Bradford
Matias -> Boling or Saffold
Langford -> Mason

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Thanks jrry32, I appreciate the discussion, looking forward to March when we can start testing the market.