Jrry32 Trade Down Mock - 3/16/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I am thinking that Long is probably not going to happen at this point so this is just guesswork and how I would like to see the Draft go with a possible trade down option:

Signings
2013_NFL_Free_Agency_Jared_Cook_35_Million_Contract_Five_Years.jpg

Jared Cook TE

Washington-N..jpg

Nate Washington WR

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #16 - Tavon Austin WR/HB/RS West Virginia
Explanation: Rams need playmakers and explosive athletes. Austin provides that. He offers the ability to be one of the NFL's most dangerous players the second he touches the field with the ability to flip the field on special teams and score from anywhere on offense.

Round 1 Pick #22 - Trade Down
Explanation: The Bills want to ensure that they get Ryan Nassib so they offer a good trade up package and the Rams accept. The Rams receive the Bills 2nd, 3rd and 5th in the trade for #22.

Round 2 Pick #10 - Arthur Brown OLB Kansas State
Explanation: He kind of reminds me of Lavonte David who I loved last year. Brown has great range and very good athleticism coupled with excellent instincts. He can do it all at LB and I feel like he'd be a great complement for James Laurinaitis.

Round 2 Pick #16 - Barrett Jones LG/C Alabama
Explanation: Extremely high IQ player who lacks elite athleticism and power. However, he's a great technician that understands angles, can protect the QB and has the ability to play LG and Center. Reminds me of Max Unger and Stefen Wisniewski. Think he'd be a great fit here.

Round 3 Pick #9 - Kyle Long OT Oregon
Explanation: His age and checkered past might scare some teams away so I think it's possible he could be here. Long needs some development but I think having Chris across from him will push him. He also has LT athleticism and might possibly be able to play there if Saffold leaves after 2013.

Round 3 Pick #16 - Bacarri Rambo FS Georgia
Explanation: He's a risk taker but we need a playmaker at Safety. Rambo offers that. He is quite good at punching the ball out and playing the ball in the air. He'll take some bad angles and unnecessary risks trying to make a big play but he also is excellent in deep coverage and will finally give our CBs help back there.

Round 4 Pick #16 - Chris Harper WR Kansas State
Explanation: Harper is a big, strong, athletic WR with excellent hands. He has a very thick frame at 6'1" 229 which makes it difficult on DBs to make plays on the ball when he bodies them up. He is one of if not the best in this class when it comes to catching contested passes and has excellent YAC skills.

Round 5 Pick #10 - Duke Williams SS/NCB Nevada
Explanation: Williams is undersized but he's an elite athlete with the speed and cover skills to match-up on slot WRs as well as the physicality and hitting ability to play Safety. He'd push Darian Stewart at the SS position and give us overall DB depth.

Round 5 Pick #16 - William Gholston DE/DT Michigan State
Explanation: Even with us signing Hayes, I think Fisher is going to want to add another DE/DT tweener somewhere in the draft. Gholston, at 6'6" 280, offers that skill-set. I think his mean streak will endear Fisher to him. I think the comparisons to Calais Campbell aren't too far off and they even posted similar numbers at the combine.

Round 6 Pick #16 - Dennis Johnson HB/KR Arkansas
Explanation: Johnson is one of the most underrated players in this draft imo. He's a small HB at 5'7" 196 but he turned in a 40 in the range of 4.40 to 4.45 at his Pro Day and runs like a bull. Arguably the toughest runner in the SEC to knock off his feet due to his great balance and his aggressive running style. Can also return kicks and catch the ball out of the back-field/pass protect. Ball security has been an issue at times. For anyone that questions Johnson's size:
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSFEwTtLFjw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSFEwTtLFjw</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8559283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8559283</a>

Round 7 Pick #16 - TJ Moe WR Missouri
Explanation: If Marquess Wilson was available, I'd take a shot on him but I think he goes off the board in the 5th or 6th. Moe clocked a slow 40 at the combine but dominated the agility drills and other drills. He's 5'11" 200 and projects best to the slot. He'd add more competition to the WR position.

Projected Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Isaiah Pead vs. Daryl Richardson
FB: Lance Kendricks
SE: Nate Washington vs. Brian Quick
FL: Chris Givens
SL: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Rodger Saffold
LG: Barrett Jones
C: Scott Wells
RG: Harvey Dahl
RT: Kyle Long

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Arthur Brown
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
LCB: Cortland Finnegan
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: Trumaine Johnson
FS: Bacarri Rambo
SS: Darian Stewart

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: John Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Tavon Austin
PR: Tavon Austin

I know some are concerned about Quick and Pead but I feel like the FO is fairly content with both and Richardson. Just my opinion.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Like Nate Washington that would be a good pick-up is Kyle Long ready to start maybe they bring back Barry Richardson or Wayne Hunter for depth? As to the running back postion...Maybe the Rams really like Ganaway who does have the size, however, IMO if Jake Long goes with the Phins the Rams could add a few more parts before the draft.

paceram

Pro Bowler
jrry32 said:
Well, I am thinking that Long is probably not going to happen at this point so this is just guesswork and how I would like to see the Draft go with a possible trade down option:

Signings
2013_NFL_Free_Agency_Jared_Cook_35_Million_Contract_Five_Years.jpg

Jared Cook TE

Washington-N..jpg

Nate Washington WR

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #16 - Tavon Austin WR/HB/RS West Virginia
Explanation: Rams need playmakers and explosive athletes. Austin provides that. He offers the ability to be one of the NFL's most dangerous players the second he touches the field with the ability to flip the field on special teams and score from anywhere on offense.

Round 1 Pick #22 - Trade Down
Explanation: The Bills want to ensure that they get Ryan Nassib so they offer a good trade up package and the Rams accept. The Rams receive the Bills 2nd, 3rd and 5th in the trade for #22.

Round 2 Pick #10 - Arthur Brown OLB Kansas State
Explanation: He kind of reminds me of Lavonte David who I loved last year. Brown has great range and very good athleticism coupled with excellent instincts. He can do it all at LB and I feel like he'd be a great complement for James Laurinaitis.

Round 2 Pick #16 - Barrett Jones LG/C Alabama
Explanation: Extremely high IQ player who lacks elite athleticism and power. However, he's a great technician that understands angles, can protect the QB and has the ability to play LG and Center. Reminds me of Max Unger and Stefen Wisniewski. Think he'd be a great fit here.

Round 3 Pick #9 - Kyle Long OT Oregon
Explanation: His age and checkered past might scare some teams away so I think it's possible he could be here. Long needs some development but I think having Chris across from him will push him. He also has LT athleticism and might possibly be able to play there if Saffold leaves after 2013.

Round 3 Pick #16 - Bacarri Rambo FS Georgia
Explanation: He's a risk taker but we need a playmaker at Safety. Rambo offers that. He is quite good at punching the ball out and playing the ball in the air. He'll take some bad angles and unnecessary risks trying to make a big play but he also is excellent in deep coverage and will finally give our CBs help back there.

Round 4 Pick #16 - Chris Harper WR Kansas State
Explanation: Harper is a big, strong, athletic WR with excellent hands. He has a very thick frame at 6'1" 229 which makes it difficult on DBs to make plays on the ball when he bodies them up. He is one of if not the best in this class when it comes to catching contested passes and has excellent YAC skills.

Round 5 Pick #10 - Duke Williams SS/NCB Nevada
Explanation: Williams is undersized but he's an elite athlete with the speed and cover skills to match-up on slot WRs as well as the physicality and hitting ability to play Safety. He'd push Darian Stewart at the SS position and give us overall DB depth.

Round 5 Pick #16 - William Gholston DE/DT Michigan State
Explanation: Even with us signing Hayes, I think Fisher is going to want to add another DE/DT tweener somewhere in the draft. Gholston, at 6'6" 280, offers that skill-set. I think his mean streak will endear Fisher to him. I think the comparisons to Calais Campbell aren't too far off and they even posted similar numbers at the combine.

Round 6 Pick #16 - Dennis Johnson HB/KR Arkansas
Explanation: Johnson is one of the most underrated players in this draft imo. He's a small HB at 5'7" 196 but he turned in a 40 in the range of 4.40 to 4.45 at his Pro Day and runs like a bull. Arguably the toughest runner in the SEC to knock off his feet due to his great balance and his aggressive running style. Can also return kicks and catch the ball out of the back-field/pass protect. Ball security has been an issue at times. For anyone that questions Johnson's size:
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSFEwTtLFjw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSFEwTtLFjw</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8559283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8559283</a>

Round 7 Pick #16 - TJ Moe WR Missouri
Explanation: If Marquess Wilson was available, I'd take a shot on him but I think he goes off the board in the 5th or 6th. Moe clocked a slow 40 at the combine but dominated the agility drills and other drills. He's 5'11" 200 and projects best to the slot. He'd add more competition to the WR position.

Projected Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Isaiah Pead vs. Daryl Richardson
FB: Lance Kendricks
SE: Nate Washington vs. Brian Quick
FL: Chris Givens
SL: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Rodger Saffold
LG: Barrett Jones
C: Scott Wells
RG: Harvey Dahl
RT: Kyle Long

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Arthur Brown
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
LCB: Cortland Finnegan
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: Trumaine Johnson
FS: Bacarri Rambo
SS: Darian Stewart

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: John Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Tavon Austin
PR: Tavon Austin

I know some are concerned about Quick and Pead but I feel like the FO is fairly content with both and Richardson. Just my opinion.

I think that would be a great draft for the Rams!

Speeps

Starter
I think this is a very good draft and fits the Rams mold of building through the draft.

Playmaker

I think Kyle Long will end up being a late 2nd round pick. I see him as more of a fit in a Zone Blocking scheme.

I am really starting to like Tavon Austin. But here is my issue with him. The Rams are insistent that Brian Quick is going to be a starter. Obviously Chris Givens will be a starter. This is not the Packers or Saints offense where the Rams will be running a bunch of 4 WR sets. In 3 WR sets in will likely be Quick & Givens outside with Cook in the slot and Kendricks lined up next to the OT. So where will Austin fit in?

The Rams have tipped their hand by showing just how much they want to upgrade the OLT position by bringing in Jake Long. Then keeping him in building for 72 hours allowing free agency to virtually pass them by while they negotiated for his services. This says the Rams are not happy with Rodger Saffold's play at the position. I've always seen Saffold as a OLG, not a OLT. And I believe the Rams see this too. I've been reading where the Rams are bringing in DJ Fluker for a private workout. Fluker is a ORT only. Maybe could kick inside to ORG. If the Rams are looking at upgrading both tackle positions, that means they have other plans for Saffold.

Don't rule out a DT or a CB in the first round. Right now the Rams have 3 CB's under contract for 2013. And at DT there isn't much behind Brockers and Langford. The Rams have expressed interest in drafting another DT high in this draft. Perhaps Sheldon Richardson if he falls to 16?

I will say this. I am not liking the thought of a Safety at 16. Vacarro does not have the ball hawking skills to warrant this high of a pick. I think the Rams would get the same kind of safety at #48 that they would at #16 or 22.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Playmaker said:
I think Kyle Long will end up being a late 2nd round pick. I see him as more of a fit in a Zone Blocking scheme.

I am really starting to like Tavon Austin. But here is my issue with him. The Rams are insistent that Brian Quick is going to be a starter. Obviously Chris Givens will be a starter. This is not the Packers or Saints offense where the Rams will be running a bunch of 4 WR sets. In 3 WR sets in will likely be Quick & Givens outside with Cook in the slot and Kendricks lined up next to the OT. So where will Austin fit in?

The Rams have tipped their hand by showing just how much they want to upgrade the OLT position by bringing in Jake Long. Then keeping him in building for 72 hours allowing free agency to virtually pass them by while they negotiated for his services. This says the Rams are not happy with Rodger Saffold's play at the position. I've always seen Saffold as a OLG, not a OLT. And I believe the Rams see this too. I've been reading where the Rams are bringing in DJ Fluker for a private workout. Fluker is a ORT only. Maybe could kick inside to ORG. If the Rams are looking at upgrading both tackle positions, that means they have other plans for Saffold.

Don't rule out a DT or a CB in the first round. Right now the Rams have 3 CB's under contract for 2013. And at DT there isn't much behind Brockers and Langford. The Rams have expressed interest in drafting another DT high in this draft. Perhaps Sheldon Richardson if he falls to 16?

I will say this. I am not liking the thought of a Safety at 16. Vacarro does not have the ball hawking skills to warrant this high of a pick. I think the Rams would get the same kind of safety at #48 that they would at #16 or 22.
Some good points there. I agree the FO tipped their hand with their extensive wooing of Jake for a position at which they already (presumably) had a starter. That says *something*. Good point about Austin too. That's always been in the back of my mind. He's be a phenomenal role player, but would the amount of touches he receives justify the draft position? And do they covet bigger, taller, stronger guys? I dunno.

I wouldn't rule out anything on the DL either with 16 or 22. In fact, I'm almost expecting it given Fisher's affinities. And yeah, safety is deep in this draft. We just need a really good FS and I think we'll be set. At what point does the talent really drop off though? Because we have quite a few SS options already.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Giih. I don't like the idea of Isaiah Pead or Dayrl Richardson as starter.

I believe the Ram D is good enough to draft and devolop an OLB in the later round (like say, 4th).

Other than that, good. Nate Washington is underrated, but he has drop issues too and slightly older now. He made some good catches when he was a Steeler tho.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Playmaker said:

Definitely possible. Trying to project who will be on the board there in the 3rd isn't easy. Just took a shot on a guy who could fall in that range.

I think we run enough 3 WR sets that we'd make it work. If you watch what the Titans did, they detached Cook and used both him and Wright in the slot at the same time. Could see us doing some of that with Kendricks on the bench in those packages.

It's possible. I'm not sure.

Sheldon Richardson is our pick if he's on the board imo. I think he goes before our pick though to Tennessee or Carolina.

I agree with you.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I've entertained the thought of a trade down, and I would do it for sure if we could find a partner. I think the meat of this draft is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I would probably change a few things, but this is a solid draft, nice job.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't like trading #22 for a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th.

It's less points on the trade value chart and #22 is pretty primo. In addition, the value of the 2nd and 3rd rounders do not equal the value of the 22nd (-70pts)... and anything in the 5th is a crap shoot.

But; I love the creativity!