Jrry32 Trade Craziness Mock - 1/5/2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Manziel to browns, imo.

This is how i think it shakes out:

1)Bridgewater to texans
2)Trade for clowney - bucs or falcons
3)Bortles to Jags
4)Manziel to Browns

obviously this is subject to change depending on the manziel

Pretty much. That or someone trades up for Barr.

moklerman

Warner-phile
One thing I don't like is spending a high third on a QB. Signing an affordable FA backup is the way to go in 2014. The team is still all-in on Bradford and this system but if 2014 is a bust, I expect a change at OC and Bradford to be gone so let the new OC(or <gulp> regime choose their QB in 2015). A high third is a special teams starter, depth or starter on defense, player who makes the team. It'd be a waste of a third IMO.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 explaining his trade scenario:
We don't. We trade the 2nd that came from Atlanta. So it wasn't a pick we originally had anyways.

I don't see any glaring needs after the first 2 rounds. I like Smith a lot and I think he could be a guy we could flip to a QB needy team later on in his career if he's not needed here.

I don't like the idea of Byrd. I think he's going to be asking too much.

Yeah I understood that the trade netted us an extra 2nd rounder but that's not my point. By trading up you cost us a starter. I don't consider Tavon worth two starters and so I for sure don't consider either of our 1st round choices to be worth two starters. From your comment that you don't see any glaring needs I understand why you'd think that way but I do see glaring needs.

I'm not going to comment on any of your picks below the 3rd round (Although I do like your 4th round pick) because I think hitting on any of them is highly unlikely despite our good fortune with Zac. If we have any injuries at CB (and when haven't we had an injury at CB?) we go with McGee? I just think that using a 3rd round pick on a QB who probably isn't good enough to replace SB long term and if SB plays as well as I predict he will then he will never see the field.

I don't know jrry, do you really think we have so much talent on our team that we can trade away one 2nd round pick and use a 3rd rounder on a back up? Not me.

As for Byrd, you could be right which is why I really like your (to me) fall back plan with Clemons.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I understood that the trade netted us an extra 2nd rounder but that's not my point. By trading up you cost us a starter. I don't consider Tavon worth two starters and so I for sure don't consider either of our 1st round choices to be worth two starters. From your comment that you don't see any glaring needs I understand why you'd think that way but I do see glaring needs.

I'm not going to comment on any of your picks below the 3rd round (Although I do like your 4th round pick) because I think hitting on any of them is highly unlikely despite our good fortune with Zac. If we have any injuries at CB (and when haven't we had an injury at CB?) we go with McGee?

We go with LaMarcus Joyner, Antone Exum, McGee or Rodney McLeod(who will still be here in his safety/CB hybrid role).

I just think that using a 3rd round pick on a QB who probably isn't good enough to replace SB long term and if SB plays as well as I predict he will then he will never see the field.

I don't know jrry, do you really think we have so much talent on our team that we can trade away one 2nd round pick and use a 3rd rounder on a back up? Not me.

As for Byrd, you could be right which is why I really like your (to me) fall back plan with Clemens.

I hope he isn't. But regardless of that, QBs tend to appreciate in worth. Smith is a talented kid and he's the type of guy that teams usually end up liking down the line. Very real chances we could trade him for a future 2nd or 3rd in a couple of years. And until then, he gives us a very good backup behind Sam...and possibly a starter if Sam gets hurt again or doesn't pan out.

Well, first of all, I think grabbing a talent like Watkins is worth giving up a 2nd round player. I hate being conservative. You're not assured that the pick will pan out. What happens if you draft another Pead? I don't like trading picks but if I like a prospect enough and think he'll be enough of a difference-maker, I'm not going to shy away from doing it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Well in that scenario we lose Atlanta's second round pick in order to move up to #5, so we don't get all of those picks
we trade for ATL's 2nd rnd pic in 2014 AND 2015, and them trade the 2014 2nd rounder to OAK, still retaining the 2015 2nd rounder.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 back with this:
We go with LaMarcus Joyner, Antone Exum, McGee or Rodney McLeod(who will still be here in his safety/CB hybrid role).

I hope he isn't. But regardless of that, QBs tend to appreciate in worth. Smith is a talented kid and he's the type of guy that teams usually end up liking down the line. Very real chances we could trade him for a future 2nd or 3rd in a couple of years. And until then, he gives us a very good backup behind Sam...and possibly a starter if Sam gets hurt again or doesn't pan out.

Well, first of all, I think grabbing a talent like Watkins is worth giving up a 2nd round player. I hate being conservative. You're not assured that the pick will pan out. What happens if you draft another Pead? I don't like trading picks but if I like a prospect enough and think he'll be enough of a difference-maker, I'm not going to shy away from doing it.

How many positions can Joyner play? You can't have him replacing Finnegan and replacing an injured CB too. McGee and McLeod have not shown an ability to successfully replace a starting CB. We all hope they will but hope can be ephemeral can't it?

I'll have to disagree with you completely about a QB appreciating in worth. Yes a few have but think about how they did it and appreciating up to a high 3rd round pick? Sorry but to me it's a wasted pick and a probable lost starter.

And what if Watkins is a Pead? Now you've pissed away two starters for nothing. At least I'd only be pissing away one. :D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many positions can Joyner play? You can't have him replacing Finnegan and replacing an injured CB too. McGee and McLeod have not shown an ability to successfully replace a starting CB. We all hope they will but hope can be ephemeral can't it?

Joyner slides outside from the slot. McLeod plays slot CB as he did this year.

I'll have to disagree with you completely about a QB appreciating in worth. Yes a few have but think about how they did it and appreciating up to a high 3rd round pick? Sorry but to me it's a wasted pick and a probable lost starter.

And what if Watkins is a Pead? Now you've pissed away two starters for nothing. At least I'd only be pissing away one.

I don't agree. And I think if Sam misses any games with us in playoff contention, you'll be quite happy that we have a competent backup.

What if Watkins is Pead? He won't be.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Rams need multiple draft picks that will be able to start on the OL in 2014. I like Mathews pick but I would use another 2nd round pick on a Guard such as Zach Martin or C.Richardson. both guys would start right away