Jrry32 Trade Craziness Mock - 1/5/2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys may or may not like this one(RFIP might love it). I have two pretty major trades in it. Here it is:

Re-sign
Rodger Saffold OT/OG - $30 million over 5 years with escalators based on health, the max value is $35 million...$15 million is guaranteed($4.5 mil first year cap hit)
Tim Barnes C - ERFA Tender($570,000)
Jo-Lonn Dunbar OLB - $4 million over 2 years($1.5 mil first year cap hit)

Release
Cortland Finnegan CB - $7 million in cap relief
Harvey Dahl OG - $4 million in cap relief
Scott Wells C - $4.5 million in cap relief
Mike Person OG - $645,000 in cap relief
Jermelle Cudjo DT - $900,000 in cap relief

Analysis: The cuts are pretty typical and expected at this point. I think Dunbar can be brought back fairly cheap and love the energy he brings to our defense. I feel Saffold has to be brought back if he can be. I offered him a contract that pays him what a mid tier OT would make and a top tier OG would make that also gives us flexibility to cut him after Year 2 if he can't stay healthy but gives him additional money if he does stay healthy. It's a fair contract and fair market value.

Free Agency Cap Room - $13.9 million

Free Agency
Chris Clemons S - $12 million over 3 years($3.5 million first year cap hit)
Tony McDaniel DT - $4 million over 2 years($2 million first year cap hit)
John Jerry OG - $3 million over 2 years($1.5 million first year cap hit)

Analysis: Chris Clemons is a very solid FS and will be making a little less than Glover Quin was signed for last year. He won't be flashy but he's a veteran presence that will provide reliable play as both a run stopper and pass defender. Tony McDaniel takes Cudjo's job as a rotational DT. I think he fits what our coaches prefer on the DL better than Cudjo at 6'7" 305. He's played well this year as Seattle's run stopping UT in their rotation. Another veteran, steady presence on defense and he'll be able to spell Brockers. John Jerry is a reclamation project for Boudreau. Has been an alright RG in Miami but hasn't reached his expected potential. He's a big body with a lot of starting experience that will give us a player that can step in if Saffold goes down and start at OG if Jake Long isn't ready(with Matthews sliding to LT).

Trade
Rams trade:
Pick #2

Falcons trade:
Pick #6
2nd round pick
2015 2nd round pick

Rams trade:
Pick #13
Falcons 2nd round pick

Raiders trade:
Pick #5

Analysis: Raiders made a nearly identical trade last year with Miami. I think they will not be happy with Clowney, Bortles and Bridgewater already gone. They'll be willing to move down as a team with a lot of needs that wants to stockpile some picks. We trade down with Atlanta who is after Clowney. I'm not sure Atlanta is willing to give up their first in 2015, we'll see. For this mock's purposes, I took their 2015 2nd instead. We trade Atlanta's 2nd to the Raiders in our trade up.

NFL Draft
http://www.draftnikcentral.com/dream-draft/view.cfm?id=137
Round 1 Pick #5 - Jake Matthews OT/OG/C Texas A&M
JakeMatthews011013_feat.jpg

Round 1 Pick #6 - Sammy Watkins WR Clemson
All-American-WR-suspended-two-games-for-arrest-Q120GA80-x-large.jpg

Round 2 Pick #12 - LaMarcus Joyner CB/FS Florida State
rn_lamarcusjoyner_nickwaisome_ms_576.jpg

Round 3 Pick #11 - Brett Smith QB Wyoming
BrettSmith.jpg

Round 4 Pick #10 - Seantrel Henderson OT Miami
seantrel-henderson-return-miami-hurricanes.jpg

Round 5 Pick #13 - Antone Exum CB/S Virginia Tech
keithcoward.com-3054.jpg

Round 6 Pick #12 - Andrew Jackson MLB/SLB Western Kentucky
andrew-jackson-500x332.jpg

Round 7 Pick #11 - Tim Flanders HB Sam Houston State
Tim-Flanders.gif

Projected Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Sammy Watkins
ZWR: Stedman Bailey
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Jake Matthews
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: LaMarcus Joyner
FS: Chris Clemons
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker

What do you guys think?

Simba

Rookie
Really interesting mock Jrry32.Just, are you so confident in Barksdale and in Long,s healt?Will he ready for the regoular season?Maybe we need Dahl more then we think?However good job!+:bigup:1

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really interesting mock Jrry32.Just, are you so confident in Barksdale and in Long,s healt?Will he ready for the regoular season?Maybe we need Dahl more then we think?However good job!+:bigup:1

Matthews and Saffold can both play LT if Long isn't ready. I think it's time to move on from Dahl. He played poorly this year imo. Thank you. :D

Cory

UDFA
5 and 6 plus we still have a 2nd round pick! Sign me up just based on that. Then we get the two players that I really want in this draft. BOOM

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Love the first round! Minor differences on later in the draft and FA. Great job!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If we got those first two guys; I'd shit the bed. Luscious!

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
If we could somehow get Watkins and Matthews out of this draft, it's a homerun. They might be the two best players in the entire draft. I would be one happy man.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
First round HR. But it highlights how getting those 2 studs prevents us from adequately addressing the secondary.

I think getting Byrd in FA would make it more palatable.

Who the hell is Mike Person? Honestly never heard of the guy :confused:.

I'm down with that draft (love the first two), only question is who is the other starting OG until Long is healthy?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Edit: Never mind... Username was WRONG. Amazing I know. :cheese: Lets go get Clemons!

Alan

Legend
A lot of great work there Jrry!

If we cost ourselves another 2nd round pick/probable starter to trade up again I'll be very upset. Again.

Plus, I sure don't want to use the #75th pick to draft a QB who we hope will never see the field.

In my mind those two moves cost us two starters.

Having said that, while I'd prefer to sign Byrd in FA, your FA plan concerning Clemons looks like a great fallback and I really like the rest of your moves in FA. Plus I really like your trade down with Atlanta even if it only works out to an additional 2nd round pick in 2015. Along with the additional 2nd round pick this year of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
We get #5 & #6 in 2014 and add Atlanta's 2015 2nd round pick... that beautiful!!! Make is so, Snisher!

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
We get #5 & #6 in 2014 and add Atlanta's 2015 2nd round pick... that beautiful!!! Make is so, Snisher!
Well in that scenario we lose Atlanta's second round pick in order to move up to #5, so we don't get all of those picks

iced

I honestly believe that with whoever we end up trading with, we'll get their 2nd this year and next years first.

It's not about trading for one particular player - its about trading for the pick. Some teams are going to want a different player (Raiders/Browns may go qb, while Falcons/Bucs may want a pass rusher) - the question is how much in love do they fall with a player, and if it becomes a bidding war (which i think it will to that price), what do we get in the end?

can't wait for the overhyping of the combine and pro days!

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
So just curious jrry, you said Bridgewater, Clowney, & Bortles get taken before we pick at 5. Who is the 4th player taken before pick 5?

iced

So just curious jrry, you said Bridgewater, Clowney, & Bortles get taken before we pick at 5. Who is the 4th player taken before pick 5?
Manziel to browns, imo.

This is how i think it shakes out:

1)Bridgewater to texans
2)Trade for clowney - bucs or falcons
3)Bortles to Jags
4)Manziel to Browns

obviously this is subject to change depending on the manziel

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Great mock Jerry, now call Snead up and make it happen!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A lot of great work there Jrry!

If we cost ourselves another 2nd round pick/probable starter to trade up again I'll be very upset. Again.

Plus, I sure don't want to use the #75th pick to draft a QB who we hope will never see the field.

In my mind those two moves cost us two starters.

Having said that, while I'd prefer to sign Byrd in FA, your FA plan concerning Clemens looks like a great fallback and I really like the rest of your moves in FA. Plus I really like your trade down with Atlanta even if it only works out to an additional 2nd round pick in 2015. Along with the additional 2nd round pick this year of course.

We don't. We trade the 2nd that came from Atlanta. So it wasn't a pick we originally had anyways.

I don't see any glaring needs after the first 2 rounds. I like Smith a lot and I think he could be a guy we could flip to a QB needy team later on in his career if he's not needed here.

I don't like the idea of Byrd. I think he's going to be asking too much.