Jrry32 Thanksgiving Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I love the draft for a couple of reasons. Addresses needs and get value for the round.
Yes the draft is much more valuable to the team than the free agency in so many ways. seems the free agency always gets the team in trouble with the cap. Now the draft is a major way to attempt to maintain the team strength but bring major RELIEF to the cap issues.

As the NFL continues to change IMO Teams will utilize the draft to bring about cap relief more than just address the teams position needs or finding the BPA. The best of all worlds for Snead is to master it all... *provide the needs & *strengthen your team overall in addition to those two *assist you in your cap mgt.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't feel like we have the luxury of drafting for the future when we still have so many holes to fill. For some reason ppl think are safeties are good but this is by far our biggest need. IF by draft time there is a safety of the Eric Berry/Mark Barron blue chip caliber, we take him with our first pick. Plain and simple.

If there were an Eric Berry, Earl Thomas or Mark Barron in this draft...I'd jump on them in a second. But I'm not entirely sold on Clinton-Dix. And beyond him, the best safety I've seen is the undersized LaMarcus Joyner...who likely plays slot CB in the NFL.

In principle, your line of thinking is solid Jerry, but thats only assuming the Rams go in this particular direction.

I'm not a big fan of losing 10M to save 4M ( Finnegan ) Its NOT saving 4M....its wasting 10M on someone who isnt here. I am assuming the dead money on Finn would be at least 10m. Next year Finn can still fill the role of veteran leader in a young backfield even as a nickel.

Personally, I like the idea of keeping our linemen (dont forget about Barrett Jones @ G) and trading down for additional picks. The idea there would be to draft 2-3 highly rated defensive backs, who would typically go in the lower 1st round and upper 2nd round. I am thinking 2 corners and another big hitting safety.

I dont think 4m will convince Saffold to stay. Someone will give him 5.5 to play tackle.

The dead money on Finnegan is 6 million but we're only actually paying him 3 million of that. So the team is saving 6 million but the cap savings are only 4 million.

One thing I have seen this season is that Boudreau wants Barksdale cemented/concreted in the RIGHT OT post. Thus the reason we saw the Rams past four seasons starting OT not return to the OT post. That tells me that Boudreau sees that Barksdale learns better from actual game pressures than from TC or practice. Some players are just like that. We all have seen the improvement in JB pass blocking from all this pressure game day experience. JB is not a power in run game! can I say that again??? That may be why JB stayed home & RS moved to OG.

If this is the way they went, I wouldn't have an issue with it but I just figured they wouldn't want to make Jake's transition harder by moving him to a totally new position.

F. Mulder

Starter
For me if it's Mathews I'm fine with him being 1A, outside of him however I would hope they would go a different direction than OL in the first. Initial grading seems to have Safety as mid/late 1st round type value and even then there doesn't seem like any blue chippers this year. IF they went Safety I would hope it would be via a trade down and picking in the low 1st or somewhere in the 2nd.

I look forward to seeing how these players get kind of filtered post-bowl games. We usually have a clearer picture of the top overall positions and the consensus top 3-5 per position.