Jrry32 Thanksgiving Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
If I had it my way, Matthews is who I target with our first pick. It's no secret, I want this guy lol but I think it'd be beneficial to our current and future plans to have an OT like him for years to come. Barksdale is playing well, don't get me wrong, but I want BPA every time and Bark could be moved inside ala Saffold or become reserve swing tackle. What happens if we pass on him and next year Barksdale regresses? or we have an injury at OT? We'll look back at it and kick ourselves for not taking this kid.

If, god forbid, that falls through for whatever reason, my next dream scenario *SOUND THE ALARMS* is to keep the pick, pray to god UCF's qb Bake Bortles declares, and take him.:wow:

Before anyone takes my head off:juiced:, just watch the guy's film and come back to this post. I know most belief Bradford isn't going anywhere, and I for one, unfortunately see the staff committing to him, but I think if Bortles comes out you take him. In my opinion, the guy looks like a mix between Rodgers and Luck. I know some of you are thinking :cray::cray: but watch his film on youtube or watch his games on ESPN 360 (awesome college replay website ftw). He has a cannon for an arm, has great accuracy, has the size and mobility, has the IN-GAME instincts, and most importantly has that innate leadership ability. Hear me out, I was a bradford fan myself the minute he was drafted. Hell, I even bought his jersey banking on him being the next great Ram qb but my gut tells me this guy just isn't ever going to escalate to elite status. Sure, coaches rave about his practices and how he works hard, and yad yada yada, but one thing I've noticed from Clemens (and Bortles) is their IN-GAME instincts. Clemens, for all the lack of talent and size, etc. brings it every game. Now I'm not saying I'd take him over Bradford, but I think he brings to the table what Bradford is lacking and that's IN-GAME swagger and instincts.

Back to Bortles though. His pocket awareness is great and he has a knack for being clutch, making precise downfield throws, and scrambling around making something out of nothing. I also read an article gushing over his in-the-huddle approach when he made his last minute comeback against Bridgewater's team.

If this guy comes out, which is unlikely, you will see a shake up in the top 5 without a doubt. He is off a lot of radars for most people but scouts are raving over him and I think if he declares we have to think long and hard about considering him.

And if neither option is available, I say trade down. Have at it!!:razz::peek::sly:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
A couple of thoughts;

If Mathews is the highest rated olinemen, you take him. This pick is about more than just 2014... and that guy is an anchor on the line for years!

I noticed you've knocked Givens down the depth chart. I'm starting to think he's a one trick pony. I'm sliding him down myself.

I disagree.

I understand the philosophy of taking the best player and not drafting for need. But I think it is a much smarter strategy to evaluate your team and target a player that makes you better from both a talent standpoint and from a need standpoint. If you have the 5th pick and a Matthews is the highest rated player on your team but you don't have a starting spot for him for a few years then you find a team that wants to trade into your spot. And I think this is the philosophy that Snead has shown in the past two drafts.

I recall Snead mentioning Brockers a couple years ago during one of those season ticket holder mock drafts. It flew under the radar because no one thought the Rams would be picking in the area Brockers was projected. And last year the guy they wanted was out of reach from where they were picking...so they moved to get him.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If I had it my way, Matthews is who I target with our first pick. It's no secret, I want this guy lol but I think it'd be beneficial to our current and future plans to have an OT like him for years to come. Barksdale is playing well, don't get me wrong, but I want BPA every time and Bark could be moved inside ala Saffold or become reserve swing tackle. What happens if we pass on him and next year Barksdale regresses? or we have an injury at OT? We'll look back at it and kick ourselves for not taking this kid.

If, god forbid, that falls through for whatever reason, my next dream scenario *SOUND THE ALARMS* is to keep the pick, pray to god UCF's qb Bake Bortles declares, and take him.:wow:

Before anyone takes my head off:juiced:, just watch the guy's film and come back to this post. I know most belief Bradford isn't going anywhere, and I for one, unfortunately see the staff committing to him, but I think if Bortles comes out you take him. In my opinion, the guy looks like a mix between Rodgers and Luck. I know some of you are thinking :cray::cray: but watch his film on youtube or watch his games on ESPN 360 (awesome college replay website ftw). He has a cannon for an arm, has great accuracy, has the size and mobility, has the IN-GAME instincts, and most importantly has that innate leadership ability. Hear me out, I was a bradford fan myself the minute he was drafted. Hell, I even bought his jersey banking on him being the next great Ram qb but my gut tells me this guy just isn't ever going to escalate to elite status. Sure, coaches rave about his practices and how he works hard, and yad yada yada, but one thing I've noticed from Clemens (and Bortles) is their IN-GAME instincts. Clemens, for all the lack of talent and size, etc. brings it every game. Now I'm not saying I'd take him over Bradford, but I think he brings to the table what Bradford is lacking and that's IN-GAME swagger and instincts.

Back to Bortles though. His pocket awareness is great and he has a knack for being clutch, making precise downfield throws, and scrambling around making something out of nothing. I also read an article gushing over his in-the-huddle approach when he made his last minute comeback against Bridgewater's team.

If this guy comes out, which is unlikely, you will see a shake up in the top 5 without a doubt. He is off a lot of radars for most people but scouts are raving over him and I think if he declares we have to think long and hard about considering him.

And if neither option is available, I say trade down. Have at it!!:razz::peek::sly:

What if we take Matthews, move Barksdale to OG...Matthews is a bust and Barksdale doesn't transition to G...and now you have a wasted first round pick and have to move Barksdale back to tackle and have an opening at G?

...or you could take a G or swing tackle later.

I understand all of your guys thoughts on this...It just doesn't compute with anything this staff has done in their history.

Furthermore...in the first quarter of the season the Rams o-line ranked 6th in the NFL according to Pro Football Focus...which also singles out the tackle play of Jake Long and Joe Barksdale. In the 2nd quarter of the season they dropped to 12, but again cited Jake Long and made it point to say that Barksdales play made it possible to switch Saffold to guard....my point of all this is that you typically can get some pretty dominant guards later in the first round while the tackles are in the top end. So why take a tackle high just to move your proven tackle out of position when you can keep him where he has success and get a player that play the position you have an opening at?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just don't understand why we are so intent on moving a player to another position when he has played at a high level. Joe Barksdale has graded out as our best lineman in most games he has started this year if I remember correctly. When was the last time we had good tackles at both spots? Now people are wanting to move him just because there is a tackle available at the top of the draft?

No...it just doesn't look like that is going to happen. Fisher has never drafted an Olineman that high...and the past 2 drafts Snead and Fisher have moved around to go get the players they want. I don't see why this year would buck either one of those trends.

I also don't see them ditching Kendall Langford. He has played well this year and is getting more and more comfortable to the 4-3 transition.

Because Matthews possesses more upside and fills a future need. And if we end up becoming a contender, we may not have a shot at replacing Jake Long in the future. You draft with a mind to the future.

Looking at Barksdale's best assets at tackle and weaknesses, I think he'd do well at OG. But you never know. Regardless, if he can't, he's still a valuable swing OT. Matthews is too good of a talent to pass up

As far as Langford, I don't think he has played well this year.

That would be a great draft. I would be ecstatic with this draft. It looks like a homerun to me.

One poster on another forum has noted that the Rams are scouting a bigger DT from Arkansas State named Ryan Carrathers. Looking at Fishers past teams, I would be leaning towards more of a penetrator like Hageman as the more likely type of DT. Do you think the Rams view Brockers as a NT moreso than an UT? I though Langford was more the NT.
Maybe they are just doing their due diligence in case they don't get a top DT in the first round.

Concerning CB. Do you think the Rams would be better off taking a top corner like Purifoy or Buchanon in round 1? Corner is a definite need and if you look at depth, if Tru or Jenkins goes down the next in line would be Joyner ( a Safety) to take over as the starting Corner, and then I guess McLeod moves to nickel. So in this case you then have only one true corner on the outside.

The Rams first round could go in many directions. DT, OL, C, even LB. It would be tough to turn down one of Mosley, Watkins or Matthews at that first pick which is currently a top 5. Mosley could be the future at MLB and I think he would perform better than Laurinitis in the long run. Or, is Ogletree smart enough to take over the defense and move to OLB in a few years? I never considered him instinctive enough to take on a role similar to Keuchly.

I don't think I'd take either. Purifoy has looked bad this year. Joyner has done well at CB and S. He can play either at a high level. IMO, he plays slot CB here. And provides depth at CB and FS. We also brought in Hampton who can play both boundary and slot CB. And then there's Brandon McGee.

I still believe in Tru and Janoris.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A couple of thoughts;

If Mathews is the highest rated olinemen, you take him. This pick is about more than just 2014... and that guy is an anchor on the line for years!

I noticed you've knocked Givens down the depth chart. I'm starting to think he's a one trick pony. I'm sliding him down myself.

We're on exactly the same wavelength on both.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if we take Matthews, move Barksdale to OG...Matthews is a bust and Barksdale doesn't transition to G...and now you have a wasted first round pick and have to move Barksdale back to tackle and have an opening at G?

...or you could take a G or swing tackle later.

What if Matthews is a bust? What if any player is a bust? It sets us back. But Matthews is pretty unlikely to bust in my mind. The worst you'll get is that he's only "solid". I think he'll be a lot more than that.

Yes, you could take a OG or a Swing Tackle later...but what if Matthews ends up being a HOF OT? What if we also have no replacement for Jake Long when it comes time? I think it would be a big regret passing on this pick.

I think Barksdale's game can translate to OG...if not...he's a great swing OT...which is necessary in today's NFL.

On the flip-side of your question, what happens if Matthews becomes a dominant OT and Barksdale becomes a very good OG? Then we have one of the NFL's best OLs which will do a lot for our QB.

What's the harm? If Matthews busts(again, unlikely), we have Barksdale to fall back on.

I understand all of your guys thoughts on this...It just doesn't compute with anything this staff has done in their history.

Furthermore...in the first quarter of the season the Rams o-line ranked 6th in the NFL according to Pro Football Focus...which also singles out the tackle play of Jake Long and Joe Barksdale. In the 2nd quarter of the season they dropped to 12, but again cited Jake Long and made it point to say that Barksdales play made it possible to switch Saffold to guard....my point of all this is that you typically can get some pretty dominant guards later in the first round while the tackles are in the top end. So why take a tackle high just to move your proven tackle out of position when you can keep him where he has success and get a player that play the position you have an opening at?

I call it a "mock" but it's typically how I'd draft not how I assume the staff would draft. They're players that I personally like and think we could use.

Why do it? Simple. Value. Matthews is an elite talent with a scarce and highly sought after skill-set. He could realistically play 4 out of the 5 positions on the OL. We may not get a shot at another Jake Matthews type player if we become a good team. That's my same reasoning for drafting Clowney if we get the chance.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I like this post simply because you're talking about Bortles. He's my biggest mancrush in this draft and my #2 QB right now after Teddy. :D

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I like this post simply because you're talking about Bortles. He's my biggest mancrush in this draft and my #2 QB right now after Teddy. :D

Yea, he's my top qb prospect. Will be better than Teddy at the pro level, in my opinion. If he comes out, which he most likely won't, I think he goes top 5-8 after the whole scouting and combine process. Scouts are already really high on him. If he stays, he'll be #2 behind Winston. My gut says he stays.

No complaints whatsoever though if we grab Matthews. Love the kid!!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Elite OTs are too hard to find to pass up on one. Even if he didn't start in his first year it would be good to grab Matthews when you can. Barksdale will be gone as a free agent because the Rams won't be able to pay him. ORT make a lot of money these days.

Saffold may be gone too. Thy let Danny walk away and he was great for the Rams. Saffold still has an injury past and Fisher may not want to pay what some other team will because of it.

You can draft a DT and keep Langford around. College DTs play fewer games and year one is a huge adjustment for them. Break Hageman in slowly.

I made an error earlier btw. Buchanon is a safety. Brain fart.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, he's my top qb prospect. Will be better than Teddy at the pro level, in my opinion. If he comes out, which he most likely won't, I think he goes top 5-8 after the whole scouting and combine process. Scouts are already really high on him. If he stays, he'll be #2 behind Winston. My gut says he stays.

No complaints whatsoever though if we grab Matthews. Love the kid!!

I would hope they are. I've been talking up Bortles for almost a year now. :wink:

I don't think he'll be better than Teddy though...but it depends on where they end up. Teddy is a prototype pocket passer. Bortles is much better at extending plays and buying time.

If Teddy ends up on a team with good WR talent and a solid OL, he's going to be great. Whereas Bortles would do more than Teddy on a team with a lesser OL.

…..

Legend
In principle, your line of thinking is solid Jerry, but thats only assuming the Rams go in this particular direction.

I'm not a big fan of losing 10M to save 4M ( Finnegan ) Its NOT saving 4M....its wasting 10M on someone who isnt here. I am assuming the dead money on Finn would be at least 10m. Next year Finn can still fill the role of veteran leader in a young backfield even as a nickel.

Personally, I like the idea of keeping our linemen (dont forget about Barrett Jones @ G) and trading down for additional picks. The idea there would be to draft 2-3 highly rated defensive backs, who would typically go in the lower 1st round and upper 2nd round. I am thinking 2 corners and another big hitting safety.

I dont think 4m will convince Saffold to stay. Someone will give him 5.5 to play tackle.

ausmurp

Starter
I don't feel like we have the luxury of drafting for the future when we still have so many holes to fill. For some reason ppl think are safeties are good but this is by far our biggest need. IF by draft time there is a safety of the Eric Berry/Mark Barron blue chip caliber, we take him with our first pick. Plain and simple.

ausmurp

Starter
A game that proves my point is the first 49ers game. Some of the worst safety play I've ever seen.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I don't feel like we have the luxury of drafting for the future when we still have so many holes to fill. For some reason ppl think are safeties are good but this is by far our biggest need. IF by draft time there is a safety of the Eric Berry/Mark Barron blue chip caliber, we take him with our first pick. Plain and simple.

While free safety is the one of our bigger needs, there is no big name free safeties worthy of a top 10 pick in this year's draft unfortunately. And you NEVER want to reach to fill a position. There are guys like HA HA who people are pegging in all their mocks to us with our second first round pick, but he isn't worthy of a top 5 pick. GO BPA and draft the stud OT who will man the right tackle position for a couple years, solidify our bookends for a few years, and eventually replace the great Jake at left tackle. Besides, who better to learn from and become an elite tackle than from Jake Long? He'd be a perfect mentor!

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
And there's always the off chance (although slim, with all the future cap money being reserved for our home-grown talent) for a guy like Byrd from the Bills to be signed in the off-season. Would love a vet like him in horns to lead our secondary. We'd definitely have to make some cap adjustments, but he'd be worth it. Then you can focus even more on BPA, trading up or down, in the draft and not worry about safety spot.

…..

Legend
draft boards will move significantly over the coming months. Everyone gets hype over pro days and combine speeds. A few blue chips like Jake will stay top ten, but some will move up and some down.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hey guys I really like this Thanksgiving Mock myself I sure enjoy reading all the different insights on this stuff just make good Ram off the wall conversations. Staying on the top mock pick discussion......OT Mathews has a lot of good things to like about him...Fisher also has a big connection with his father. Mathews reminds me as being a more talented & versatile Rodger Saffold. Mathews has proven to be highly effective @ playing both sides of the OL. Mathews is also able to run block as well as pass block from both sides.

Now I will try to convey & answer the concerns about drafting a swing OT so in the top 10 with the thoughts of being a non starter (Swing OT) ....well TA is not a starter either .......no one had many issues with that. I guess my sticking the Swing OT label to him may have caused some to think less of him in value...I just did a poor job on that & not making it clear ....I think that Jake Mathews (just like his dad) can play & start @ any OL positions & play it very well well. I see the SWING OT label as a very high & good complement.

Selecting a OL'er like Jake Mathews would come in very handy & prove very smart due the fact that #1- The Rams have three OL'ers (two starters & the top reserve OG) will be free agents when this season ends. #2- Current starter ORT Joe Barksdale will be an UNRESTRICTED free agent after the 2014 season along with two other OL'ers Harvey Dahl & present back up OT Mike Persons. For my way of thinking ..."PROPER PLANNING MAKES PREDICTABLE PERFORMANCES". Now too me the OL Alarm bells should be are sounding loudly for all Ram fans on the need for top OL talent insertion!

One thing I have seen this season is that Boudreau wants Barksdale cemented/concreted in the RIGHT OT post. Thus the reason we saw the Rams past four seasons starting OT not return to the OT post. That tells me that Boudreau sees that Barksdale learns better from actual game pressures than from TC or practice. Some players are just like that. We all have seen the improvement in JB pass blocking from all this pressure game day experience. JB is not a power in run game! can I say that again??? That may be why JB stayed home & RS moved to OG.

Back to jrry32's very good Thanksgiving Mock....I am of the opinion that Swing OT Mathews like RS has the talent & versatility to be a very good starting Ram OG where the starting OL post openings will be in abundance in 2014. I would suggest that jrry32 consider reevaluating his proposed OL make up where JB stays @ ORT & Jake Mathews moves to OG instead!

I see it ideal that Jake Mathews get the easier OG starting position in 2014 playing with JB. Then if the Rams have not resolved the cap issues by then & JB demands average contract @ ORT then departs for more $$$ Jake Mathews is ready to start @ the ORT post in 2015 or if Jake Long has injury bug return he can start there..

Last edited by a moderator:

fearsomefour

Legend
I love the draft for a couple of reasons. Addresses needs and get value for the round. How is Hageman vs. the run?
I have been hyping Fales for a bit. As you said not the strongest arm but plays at a high level and is an accurate passer. Good back up material in my opinion. To me the top two later round back up QBs I like are Fales and the kid from Utah St. I am little biased because I have seen both a couple of times in person. I think either would be very good back up options after one year learning.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I love the draft for a couple of reasons. Addresses needs and get value for the round. How is Hageman vs. the run?
I have been hyping Fales for a bit. As you said not the strongest arm but plays at a high level and is an accurate passer. Good back up material in my opinion. To me the top two later round back up QBs I like are Fales and the kid from Utah St. I am little biased because I have seen both a couple of times in person. I think either would be very good back up options after one year learning.
Agreed. Very curious about the question I bolded though. I'd assume pretty good.