Jrry32 Thanksgiving Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alright guys, here's another shot at a possibility for our off-season.

Release
Harvey Dahl - 4 million saved
Cortland Finnegan - 4 million saved
Kendall Langford - 4 million saved

Re-sign
Rodger Saffold - 16 million over 4 years(max value of 24 million with incentives related to performance)
Jo-Lonn Dunbar - 6 million over 3 years

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #5 - Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
Analysis:
Clowney goes to Atlanta or else he'd be the pick here. Matthews serves as the RT while Barksdale is a valuable swing tackle and gets a shot at the OG position.

Round 1 Pick #17 - Ra'Shede Hageman DT Minnesota
Analysis:
Has the body type that Waufle and Fisher loves. Amazing athlete that can penetrate. Perfect complement to Brockers.

Round 2 Pick #17 - LaMarcus Joyner CB/S Florida State
Analysis:
Joyner is very much like the Honey Badger without the character concerns. An undersized playmaker that can play slot CB or FS for you.

Round 3 Pick #17 - Ahmad Dixon FS Baylor
Analysis:
Dixon is a hard hitting safety with athleticism and the ability to play downhill against the run.

Round 4 Pick #17 - Ja'Wuan James T/G Tennessee
Analysis:
James is big but bends well. I think he's too heavy-legged to be a good RT but he's mean, finishes his blocks and gets push in the run game. I think he's a great fit at RG as he has surprising balance for his lack of foot speed and is very good at identifying and making blocks on the second level.

Round 5 Pick #17 - David Fales QB San Jose State
Analysis:
Fales has a weak arm but he anticipates routes well, is mobile, has a quick release and he's accurate. He's excellent backup material because he's a smart game manager.

Round 6 Pick #17 - Victor Hampton CB South Carolina
Analysis:
Vic is a frustrating player as a SC fan. Why? He has the tools to be a very good CB but he is prone to a lot of mental errors(plays stupid). He's a project pick to help our depth at the position and see if we can develop him.

Round 7 Pick #17 - Garrison Smith DT Georgia
Analysis:
Another talented player that had underachieved up until this year. He's added DT depth behind Hageman and Brockers. Another option here would be additional depth on the OL in OG Spencer Long.

Starting Line-up:
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: Cory Harkey
WR: Tavon Austin
WR: Stedman Bailey(hopefully)
WR: Brian Quick(hopefully)
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: Scott Wells
RG: Joe Barksdale
RT: Jake Matthews

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Ra'Shede Hageman
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
CB: Janoris Jenkins
CB: Trumaine Johnson
CB: LaMarcus Joyner
FS: Ahmad Dixon
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: John Hekker

As you can see, I decided not to make any big FA splashes. Just keep our own and build via the draft. Think it'll be a smart move in prepping for the salary cap to increase in the immediate future. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of this FA class. I wouldn't mind, though, if we signed a guy like Anquan Boldin to give our young WRs some veteran leadership.

Happy Thanksgiving guys!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That would be a great draft. I would be ecstatic with this draft. It looks like a homerun to me.

One poster on another forum has noted that the Rams are scouting a bigger DT from Arkansas State named Ryan Carrathers. Looking at Fishers past teams, I would be leaning towards more of a penetrator like Hageman as the more likely type of DT. Do you think the Rams view Brockers as a NT moreso than an UT? I though Langford was more the NT.
Maybe they are just doing their due diligence in case they don't get a top DT in the first round.

Concerning CB. Do you think the Rams would be better off taking a top corner like Purifoy or Buchanon in round 1? Corner is a definite need and if you look at depth, if Tru or Jenkins goes down the next in line would be Joyner ( a Safety) to take over as the starting Corner, and then I guess McLeod moves to nickel. So in this case you then have only one true corner on the outside.

The Rams first round could go in many directions. DT, OL, C, even LB. It would be tough to turn down one of Mosley, Watkins or Matthews at that first pick which is currently a top 5. Mosley could be the future at MLB and I think he would perform better than Laurinitis in the long run. Or, is Ogletree smart enough to take over the defense and move to OLB in a few years? I never considered him instinctive enough to take on a role similar to Keuchly.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I just don't understand why we are so intent on moving a player to another position when he has played at a high level. Joe Barksdale has graded out as our best lineman in most games he has started this year if I remember correctly. When was the last time we had good tackles at both spots? Now people are wanting to move him just because there is a tackle available at the top of the draft?

No...it just doesn't look like that is going to happen. Fisher has never drafted an Olineman that high...and the past 2 drafts Snead and Fisher have moved around to go get the players they want. I don't see why this year would buck either one of those trends.

I also don't see them ditching Kendall Langford. He has played well this year and is getting more and more comfortable to the 4-3 transition.

A55VA6

Legend
I don't see Langford going anywhere. We need to keep those starting 4 in tact, and have really good rotational players on the line. We need another William Hayes... but maybe that's Gerald Rivers.

ausmurp

Starter
Someone else said it, but I don't think we draft a tackle first, as Jake Long is coming around and playing very well, and we have him locked up for years. Plus he's still young. I don't see Fisher taking a tackle this early just to play on the right side for a few years. I know tons of people want OL, but the real position we need on the OL is LG, not tackle. I could see us taking a LG with our second 1st rd pick. That leaves us with Watkins/Evans, or Clinton-Dix - who I think we will end up drafting first.

Love your mocks though Jrry, keep em coming please on this site! I can't use realramsfans anymore because I'm locked out for some odd reason. I've contacted the admin several times with no reply as to why. Definately miss forum convos with you, aeneas, and that Penn State fan :wink: (Elm).

jjab360

Legend
I don't see the point of drafting Matthews with Barksdale playing as well as he has. Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins would provide the most impact, imo. I didn't see it with Watkins before, but after rewatching a couple of his games, that guy is special. Both of those receivers are definitely worth a top 10 pick.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Like everyone else, would prefer Watkins over Matthews and try to resign Barksdale. If that fails, then you draft him. Would also love to have Deone Bucannon instead of Dixon, who feels more like a strong safety to me. I love the Hageman, Joyner, and James picks, though. Overall, a very good draft.

TexasRam

Legend
Nice Mock. It's one possible way to go. And I love the Cuts to get Saffold here. Langford hasn't done enough to warrant keeping him and Dahl Finn are gone.

I wouldn't move Barksdale though. Don't fix what aint broke. He has been solid. Keep the Oline Continuity with the exception of adding a guard. There is no guarantee that Lewan or Matthews isn't the next Jason Smith or Chris Williams..keep our Tackles in place. Keep Saffold in place. I would even be OK with getting Barrett Jones into LG if Wells is sticking around. Spend the picks elsewhere. Right now our running game is 2nd best in the NFL since Stacy took over. Let's keep that in place and build the rest of the team.

jjab360

Legend
Like everyone else, would prefer Watkins over Matthews and try to resign Barksdale. If that fails, then you draft him. Would also love to have Deone Bucannon instead of Dixon, who feels more like a strong safety to me. I love the Hageman, Joyner, and James picks, though. Overall, a very good draft.
I don't think Barksdale is a Free Agent

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Does anyone see any other choice with the first pick besides Matthews, Watkins, Evans, or a trade down?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Guess i will chime in with my thoughts, respectfully of course:

1. Not a fan of picking a RT in the first, especially with how good Barksdale has done, and also not thinking we pick one based on Fishers history.
2. Hageman is a great pick that i am leaning towards as well.
3. Joyner is a playmaker that is a good choice.
4. Not sold on Dixon yet, would rather grab more of a ballhawk, though i do like Dixon's hard hitting ability.
5. the rest of the draft is good, good depth.

I could easily live with this draft.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Does anyone see any other choice with the first pick besides Matthews, Watkins, Evans, or a trade down?

With Nix's injury, i say no. Trade down FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sum1

Hall of Fame

I definitely see a trade down situation.

Hell, with as bad as Washington looks we might be able to make another trade for a handful of draft picks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would like to address this common theme of the non need for a OT. The main two arguments that I see from my fine fellow posters is #1-that the Rams are set @ OT due to having Joe & Jake here now & they are playing well & #2- the thought of using a high 1st round pick on a Right OT causes upset stomach & is just not worthy.

Any NFL team that plays us has to assign this afterthought position of Right OT to face off with Rams DE's like Chris Long & William Hayes .....those two are serious pass rushing DE's so it not like ORT do not see big time pass rushers too.

What's the issue with a Right OT position being taken so lightly? ...is this position not a very valuable needed strong position of need for teams that have Pocket Passers?? For teams desireing to run too? So Joe Barksdale has this good long proven track record of years of game experience to say he is what we think he is now ...since he took over for the injured Saffold?

How long has it been since OLT Jake Long was considered in major decline & washed up & not resigned by his original team that drafted #1 in the entire draft due to multiple ongoing nagging injuries & surgeries to his soon to be 29 yr old body? Can someone advise me who the Rams have ready to step into Jake's critical OLT post if he was to get injured? Would that be the UDFA 6-4 299 pound Mike Persons or the often broken rookie UDFA PS OT Sean Hooey?? What information do you have that indicates that either of them could handle a Julius Peppers like Jake had too last week? I also commonly read that good OT's can be found much later in the NFL draft right? If Its so common then it should be easy to name me the last good swing OT the Rams found late in the draft that came in and played well enough?

Rams current swing OT is Saffold, before that it was Barksdale, before that it was veteran Wayne Hunter, who the Rams paid close to 4 million for one season to be our Swing OT oh can the Rams afford to pay another 4 million a season for another vet swing OT? How important was these 3 swing OT's?????? So important that when Saffold was injured had to step up into some serious big shoes...Barksdale had spent three training camps & three preseasons getting ready to step into those Saffold shoes.. do the Rams happen to have any other OT prospect that has that kind of prep work?? When Saffold was hurt early in the 2012 season a 31 yr old former starting jets OT Wayne Hunter swing OT had to step up into the blind side protector post for Sam and due to his past experience was able to protect Sam very well & well enough to have one of the better Ram seasons not seen in many yrs. Now back to Saffold the current Ram swing OT...Rams being in an unbelievable position to have a good third OT that when veteran starting ORG Harvey Dahl went down Saffold was talented enough to be inserted into a position he has never played in the NFL or in college & provided some of the best OG play not seen in over a decade by a Ram.

In addition I should remind us that even if the Rams are able to purchase the services of our current swing OT Saffold after this season Saffold will be our starting OG not the Rams swing OT. It would seem to me that I have listed bonified facts why the 2014 Ram team should have an excellent highly talented OT like a Mathews or even Bama's Cyrus Kouandjio added to this OL because we all should know that the Rams have a history of injured OT's & OG's. Today the Rams currently have both their starting OG out due to injury & unable to play ....seems like a common happening to me. So why would any Ram fan find it so unsettling to draft an OT that high?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I would like to address this common theme of the non need for a OT. The main two arguments that I see from my fine fellow posters is #1-that the Rams are set @ OT due to having Joe & Jake here now & they are playing well & #2- the thought of using a high 1st round pick on a Right OT causes upset stomach & is just not worthy.

Any NFL team that plays us has to assign this afterthought position of Right OT to face off with Rams DE's like Chris Long & William Hayes .....those two are serious pass rushing DE's so it not like ORT do not see big time pass rushers too.

What's the issue with a Right OT position being taken so lightly? ...is this position not a very valuable needed strong position of need for teams that have Pocket Passers?? For teams desireing to run too? So Joe Barksdale has this good long proven track record of years of game experience to say he is what we think he is now ...since he took over for the injured Saffold?

How long has it been since OLT Jake Long was considered in major decline & washed up & not resigned by his original team that drafted #1 in the entire draft due to multiple ongoing nagging injuries & surgeries to his soon to be 29 yr old body? Can someone advise me who the Rams have ready to step into Jake's critical OLT post if he was to get injured? Would that be the UDFA 6-4 299 pound Mike Persons or the often broken rookie UDFA PS OT Sean Hooey?? What information do you have that indicates that either of them could handle a Julius Peppers like Jake had too last week? I also commonly read that good OT's can be found much later in the NFL draft right? If Its so common then it should be easy to name me the last good swing OT the Rams found late in the draft that came in and played well enough?

Rams current swing OT is Saffold, before that it was Barksdale, before that it was veteran Wayne Hunter, who the Rams paid close to 4 million for one season to be our Swing OT oh can the Rams afford to pay another 4 million a season for another vet swing OT? How important was these 3 swing OT's?????? So important that when Saffold was injured had to step up into some serious big shoes...Barksdale had spent three training camps & three preseasons getting ready to step into those Saffold shoes.. do the Rams happen to have any other OT prospect that has that kind of prep work?? When Saffold was hurt early in the 2012 season a 31 yr old former starting jets OT Wayne Hunter swing OT had to step up into the blind side protector post for Sam and due to his past experience was able to protect Sam very well & well enough to have one of the better Ram seasons not seen in many yrs. Now back to Saffold the current Ram swing OT...Rams being in an unbelievable position to have a good third OT that when veteran starting ORG Harvey Dahl went down Saffold was talented enough to be inserted into a position he has never played in the NFL or in college & provided some of the best OG play not seen in over a decade by a Ram.

In addition I should remind us that even if the Rams are able to purchase the services of our current swing OT Saffold after this season Saffold will be our starting OG not the Rams swing OT. It would seem to me that I have listed bonified facts why the 2014 Ram team should have an excellent highly talented OT like a Mathews or even Bama's Cyrus Kouandjio added to this OL because we all should know that the Rams have a history of injured OT's & OG's. Today the Rams currently have both their starting OG out due to injury & unable to play ....seems like a common happening to me. So why would any Ram fan find it so unsettling to draft an OT that high?

Unsettling? No, just unlikely.

You think the Rams will spend a high first round pick on a guy they want to be a swing tackle?

No. What they probably will do for a swing tackle is take a guy in the mid rounds or sign a versatile backup.

That is where we are all coming from.

And how can you look at Barksdale for a reason to take a tackle high because he doesn't have a long track record? A rookie tackle is going to have even less of a track record. With that logic we need to forget anything Alec Ogletree has done and find a LB...or forget Tavon Austin and take Dri Archer or De'Anthony Thomas.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Why wouldn't we take a QB in the 3rd (implying that he would have a high ceiling)? Or is the running assumption that Bradford is a franchise QB who's contract we will restructure from his cap number of $17 million next year to something in the neighborhood of [hl]$10 million[/hl] per year with something in the neighborhood of $50 million guaranteed?

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I think its quite conceivable that we end up a high enough pick that that QB starved teams will be looking to trade up.

I can easily see Snead trading the pick for a boat load of picks all over again, though not the same haul as the RG3 deal of course, but more in line with the Cleveland/Atlanta trade for Julio Jones.

When was the last time a team had the draft pick capital that the Ram have? I mean, the high level of the pick.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A couple of thoughts;

If Mathews is the highest rated olinemen, you take him. This pick is about more than just 2014... and that guy is an anchor on the line for years!

I noticed you've knocked Givens down the depth chart. I'm starting to think he's a one trick pony. I'm sliding him down myself.