Jrry32 Second to Last Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll try to do one more mock before the draft. Since this is my second to last mock draft, I won't do any trading. In my last mock, there will be trades. As always, this is what I'd do if I were in the Rams' shoes.
NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #15 - Paxton Lynch QB Memphis

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdm3TayuSUo

Analysis: There's a possibility that the Rams might have to move up a few slots. If that's true, then they need to do it. They need to come away with a top QB. If they can move up for Goff, I'm all for it. But I'll be disappointed if they let all three of the top QBs slip away. If they let all four go, I'll be rooting for a new team until Fisher is gone (unless they trade for a QB that I like). Lynch is a big guy at 6'7" 245 with tons of upside. He possesses a strong arm, impressive athleticism for his size, and all the attributes needed to succeed in the NFL. He's raw mechanically and mentally but with time and experience, I expect him to become a franchise QB.
NFL Comparison: Joe Flacco

Round 2 Pick #12 - Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOIkBLmtUMc

Analysis: Rams have paid a lot of attention to Tyler Boyd during the process which is good news imo. Boyd isn't an amazing athlete but he more than makes up for that with outstanding hands, body control, and instincts. He's coming out of a pro style offense and already has a good feel for how to exploit defenders' weaknesses. His route running will need to continue to develop but his smoothness, easy change of directional ability, and high football IQ should aid him greatly with that. Boyd appears to be a WR that should contribute early and produce for a long time. More than that, he gives the Rams a much needed target who can move the chains and catch tthe ball consistently.
NFL Comparison: Keenan Allen

Round 2 Pick #14 - Keanu Neal FS Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5nzVdpia6M

Analysis: There are rumors that Neal will go first round. I guess we'll find out. Neal seems like the type of player that the Rams love at safety. He's a vicious hitter who looks to stick the runner every chance he gets. This leads to some missed tackles and bad plays because he doesn't wrap up. When he does wrap up, he consistently makes the tackle due to his strength and reckless abandon. However, he needs to improve his angles and play more under control in the NFL. He'll run himself out of plays or take bad angles to the ball. Had a lot of experience playing the single high safety role at UF. Comes downhill with a vegeneance and has the range/cover skills to play single high in the NFL. Ball-skills need to improve, though, as he has the tendency to play the man rather than the ball and look for big hits rather than INTs.
NFL Comparison: T.J. Ward

Round 3 Pick #13 - Tyler Higbee TE Western Kentucky

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLcQeMGsOQM

Analysis: There are more and more rumors that NFL evaluators consider Higbee to have the highest ceiling as a pure pass-catcher in this draft. At 6'6" 250, Higbee certainly has the prototypical size. He's also a WR convert with the speed to threaten the seam and outstanding hands. Higbee rarely drops passes, can make acrobatic catches, and has no issues coming down with passes in traffic. Higbee needs to continue to get bigger and stronger if he's going to become an effective in-line blocker in the NFL. That all said, Higbee does not lack the desire or physicality. He is a willing and competitive blocker who gets visibly angry at himself on the field when he fails to make a key block. Higbee's injury history is a concern but he's a talented player who appears to only be scratching his potential.
NFL Comparison: Greg Olsen

Round 4 Pick #12 - Mike Thomas WR Southern Miss

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5hq-x4_5UA

Analysis: Yep, I have us drafting another WR. We've had success in the past doubling up on positions. Thomas is a very talented guy who's been overlooked despite steller production. He only has two years of college tape because he was a JUCO transfer. Thomas was snubbed by the Combine despite putting up 1391 yards, 14 TDs, and nearly 20 yards per catch this year. I tossed out Antonio Bryant as a comparison because they have similar games and body types. Like Bryant, Thomas is a guy who can get vertical and win jump-balls and pull down tough catches in traffic. He can also create yardage after the catch. He's ultra-competitive and has great instincts for timing his jumps and adjusting to the football in the air. However, like Antonio Bryant, Thomas is prone to bouts of inconsistency with his hands and route running. He suffers from concentration drops but makes the tough catches look routine. Unlike Bryant, Thomas does not have significant off the field problems (that I know of). Thomas is an intriguing player in the mid rounds because he's an explosive player with the ability to make extremely acrobatic catches and win 50-50 balls but he still is pretty raw and inconsistent. He needs to get a bit bigger and stronger in order to better get off of press coverage in the NFL. Still, he has a lot of upside.
NFL Comparison: Antonio Bryant

Round 6 Pick #14 - Evan Boehm C Missouri

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWDstknJHEw

Analysis: Boehm is a tough as nails player who was consistently great over his career at Missouri. The Rams might as well make use of the depth and talent at Center in this draft. Boehm offers the Rams a difference-making run blocker at Center. He has rare power and drive blocking ability for a Center along with a nasty disposition. This allows him to absolutely maul defenders at the LOS and handle the power of NTs. Why will Boehm fall to Day 3 if he's such a powerful guy and great player in the SEC? He lacks the foot speed and quickness to play in a true ZBS and doesn't have the height and arm length a lot of teams look for. That all said, he fits our scheme well and has the sort of work ethic and passion for the game that makes me believe he can develop into an effective NFL pass blocker. I compared him to Incognito but he has the common sense that Incognito lacks. He plays the game with a similar mean streak but doesn't kill his team with bone-headed mistakes.
NFL Comparison: Richie Incognito

Projected Starters
QB: Paxton Lynch
HB: Todd Gurley
WR: Kenny Britt
WR: Tavon Austin
WR: Tyler Boyd
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Jamon Brown v. Garret Reynolds
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Cody Wichmann v. Rodger Saffold
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Will Hayes
NT: Michael Brockers
UT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Mark Barron
MLB: Alec Ogletree
CB: Trumaine Johnson
CB: E.J. Gaines
CB: LaMarcus Joyner
FS: Keanu Neal v. Mo Alexander v. Cody Davis
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein v. Ross Martin (UDFA)
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.thebackyardbanter.com/reception-perception-2016-nfl-draft-prospects-results.html

the following is a quote from the above link (which is in its own thread on ROD) about tyler boyd. doctson, coleman and shepard are highly regarded , boyd, not so much. lots of plays behind the line of scrimmage or as a slot receiver, isnt that where tavon austin lines up the most?

"While he carried a ton of buzz throughout his college career, and was highly productive on a poor offense, the weaknesses in Tyler Boyd’s game are deafening. The Pitt star finished with the second lowest SRVC against man and press, and the worst mark against zone. To his credit, Boyd showed some “old man game” in the way he uses savvy to fool inferior cornerbacks at the college level. However, please remember those came in mere flashes. On a consistent route-to-route basis, Boyd didn't have the athleticism or consistent technique to separate in 2015. These numbers should cast major doubt on his ability to be a top-two option in a passing game, and his chances to function outside of a super specific role." By: Matt Harmon
March 1, 2016

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love every pick but Boyd. I would be very happy with this draft and even welcome Boyd to prove me wrong too.

Lynch, Neal, Higbee and the lesser Mike Thomas? That is good value with a limited number of picks. Throw in Boehms run blocking and it looks like a complete draft. Well done.

Now, was that a typo when you said "If they let all four go" who is number 4?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would be fine with this love the Neal pick and doubling up on WR's would behoove the Rams and give new WR Coach Mike Groh something to work with and again you can never go wrong drafting a center!
tumblr_nsijgpoxX01ur7mdeo1_500.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, at least we both picked Mike Thomas. (y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like this mock & have no real issues with WR Boyd with that #43 pick. Tavon Autin is a UFA in less than a year. Rams will have 7 starters listed as UFA's alone. TA will not be tagged. Rams might sign him to a 5th yr. extension but when they are trying to sign Micheal Brockers- Tru Johnson- Alex Ogletree- TJ Mcdonald & a starting QB to a long term deals cap $$ will be very very tight much tighter than this season. So thinking that a TA gadget player is a sure sign might want to rethink. WR Boyd would be a excellent fit if TA shows the Rams the hand(y).

My only issue is jrry32 excellent mock draft is with the second round safety prospect selection(n).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That would be a great draft. Some stretches in there but all are possible.

Right at the top sitting at 15 and hoping Lynch makes it is gonna have me on the edge of my armchair. Think we are in for a wild one tbh...

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I like the draft. But one question about Boyd. Where do you have him in terms of your WR rankings? Because I've seen some mocks with him in the third. Obviously people that aren't high on him. But id like to know where you rank him with the other receivers in the draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.thebackyardbanter.com/reception-perception-2016-nfl-draft-prospects-results.html

the following is a quote from the above link (which is in its own thread on ROD) about tyler boyd. doctson, coleman and shepard are highly regarded , boyd, not so much. lots of plays behind the line of scrimmage or as a slot receiver, isnt that where tavon austin lines up the most?

"While he carried a ton of buzz throughout his college career, and was highly productive on a poor offense, the weaknesses in Tyler Boyd’s game are deafening. The Pitt star finished with the second lowest SRVC against man and press, and the worst mark against zone. To his credit, Boyd showed some “old man game” in the way he uses savvy to fool inferior cornerbacks at the college level. However, please remember those came in mere flashes. On a consistent route-to-route basis, Boyd didn't have the athleticism or consistent technique to separate in 2015. These numbers should cast major doubt on his ability to be a top-two option in a passing game, and his chances to function outside of a super specific role." By: Matt Harmon
March 1, 2016

I've seen it. Doesn't do anything for me. I've watched Boyd since his freshman year. He's a player. He'll produce at the next level.

He had a lot of plays behind the LOS and as a slot WR this year because James Conner was injured early in the season and Pittsburgh needed Boyd to carry the offense. Boyd averaged over 16 yards per catch in 2014. That number dropped to just over 10 yards per catch in 2015. Boyd's skill-set didn't change. How Pittsburgh used him did change. Boyd can win in any WR slot and anywhere on the field. And no, Tavon didn't line up in the slot that often last year (IIRC). He spent much of his time playing outside the numbers.

Let's also keep in mind that Tyler Boyd was playing in a pro style offense. The three guys you named all were playing in Air Raid offenses.(although, I am a big fan of Shepard's route running)

Yes I like it except Boyd. He said himself his best position is y or z we need a x

Britt will play the X. Boyd will play the Z or the S. Austin will play the other. We don't need an X. We need a WR who can get open and catch the ball consistently.

I love every pick but Boyd. I would be very happy with this draft and even welcome Boyd to prove me wrong too.

Lynch, Neal, Higbee and the lesser Mike Thomas? That is good value with a limited number of picks. Throw in Boehms run blocking and it looks like a complete draft. Well done.

Now, was that a typo when you said "If they let all four go" who is number 4?

Connor Cook

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the draft. But one question about Boyd. Where do you have him in terms of your WR rankings? Because I've seen some mocks with him in the third. Obviously people that aren't high on him. But id like to know where you rank him with the other receivers in the draft.

He's my 3rd ranked WR.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Good draft, I too think we will double-up at the WR position. I was looking at a 2nd WR like Malcolm Mitchell out of Georgia, but your guy seems like a good prospect as well. Too bad about Higbee today as I really liked his receiving ability and potential as a blocker. Good job on your part, as I could see something like this taking place on draft day. Thanks!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Good draft, I too think we will double-up at the WR position. I was looking at a 2nd WR like Malcolm Mitchell out of Georgia, but your guy seems like a good prospect as well. Too bad about Higbee today as I really liked his receiving ability and potential as a blocker. Good job on your part, as I could see something like this taking place on draft day. Thanks!

Too bad on Higbee? This was the perfect timing for his stupidity. Cost him millions, but will allow us to get him later on, such as the fifth or sixth round.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've seen it. Doesn't do anything for me. I've watched Boyd since his freshman year. He's a player. He'll produce at the next level.

He had a lot of plays behind the LOS and as a slot WR this year because James Conner was injured early in the season and Pittsburgh needed Boyd to carry the offense. Boyd averaged over 16 yards per catch in 2014. That number dropped to just over 10 yards per catch in 2015. Boyd's skill-set didn't change. How Pittsburgh used him did change. Boyd can win in any WR slot and anywhere on the field. And no, Tavon didn't line up in the slot that often last year (IIRC). He spent much of his time playing outside the numbers.

Let's also keep in mind that Tyler Boyd was playing in a pro style offense. The three guys you named all were playing in Air Raid offenses.(although, I am a big fan of Shepard's route running)

Britt will play the X. Boyd will play the Z or the S. Austin will play the other. We don't need an X. We need a WR who can get open and catch the ball consistently.

Connor Cook

So you still consider him in the same area as the rest of the top 3. I thought you dropped him down. For me he is a notch below the top three but the best of the rest. The Rams are showing interest. My bet is they draft BPA at #15 and then try to snag him at the top of round 2 or trade into round 1 and grab him. I don't like the gamble or the settling.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you still consider him in the same area as the rest of the top 3. I thought you dropped him down. For me he is a notch below the top three but the best of the rest. The Rams are showing interest. My bet is they draft BPA at #15 and then try to snag him at the top of round 2 or trade into round 1 and grab him. I don't like the gamble or the settling.

I consider him as part of the top 3. Treadwell, Doctson, and Boyd are my top 3. And I consider them all to be first round caliber players. I'd take Treadwell around #15. Doctson and Boyd in the 20s to 30s.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Boyd kind of scares me. Sometimes I look at him and think, "I wouldn't even draft this guy". Then I see him do things that I can project into the NFL. My main concerns, and maybe you share them, is how pedestrian he can look. I like receivers who can tell a story with their play. Off the line, his pads need to be lower to give the impression to his opponent that he’s about to drive hard off the line. It doesn’t matter if he's gonna run at half speed or 3/4 speed, it’s the visual you sell that gives you the immediate advantage. It's one of the reasons I love Treadwell. His ability to sell things gives him a huge advantage. I also have a concern about ball security with him with how he doesn't frequently switch arms, carries the ball low and loose, and uses it as a prop at times. That's a death sentence at the next level. While that's teachable, I fear he'll forget that stuff and just do what he feels comes natural.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Wow, jrry32. Just Wow!

THIS is a draft that I could really get behind.

All the boxes checked. Well done, sir.

I would substitute Shepard for Boyd, but that's just a nit picky personal preference.

If S&F come out of this draft with these results, I will be downright giddy. Lol.

Thanks for the effort, man.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boyd kind of scares me. Sometimes I look at him and think, "I wouldn't even draft this guy". Then I see him do things that I can project into the NFL. My main concerns, and maybe you share them, is how pedestrian he can look. I like receivers who can tell a story with their play. Off the line, his pads need to be lower to give the impression to his opponent that he’s about to drive hard off the line. It doesn’t matter if he's gonna run at half speed or 3/4 speed, it’s the visual you sell that gives you the immediate advantage. It's one of the reasons I love Treadwell. His ability to sell things gives him a huge advantage. I also have a concern about ball security with him with how he doesn't frequently switch arms, carries the ball low and loose, and uses it as a prop at times. That's a death sentence at the next level. While that's teachable, I fear he'll forget that stuff and just do what he feels comes natural.

I don't think ball security is as much of an issue at WR. It's an issue on punt returns but I've seen WRs who carry the ball the way he does not have major issues in the NFL. Alshon Jeffery was the same way. He's good about protecting it when he needs to as a WR. It's something he'll need to work on but it's not a huge concern for me.

With the pad level, it's more about consistency than anything. It doesn't trouble me because he's consistent with it. You don't want to telegraph your route. Plus, it works with his style of cutting. He's such a fluid, clean mover that he changes direction with ease even while upright. Most receivers can't run routes upright.(if they do, they typically don't sink their hips and remain balanced/under-control through their breaks) Boyd is a rare exception. Keenan Allen is the same way. Both guys are so smooth into their breaks and so clean coming out of them that they can run routes without the forward lean.

Plus, neither guy's game is their vertical speed. You have to keep that in mind. Most WRs run with the lean to try and bait the defender into fearing the deep ball. Boyd and Allen are aiming for the opposite. They know they're not a threat to run right by most defenders. They're trying to lull defenders to sleep with the underneath stuff and catch them late out of their back-pedal. With most WRs, it's the opposite. They want the defender bailing out early so they run with a heavy forward lean and come hard off the LOS. Boyd and Allen know they can get in and out of breaks faster than the defender and can use their route running to attack them and create separation underneath. They want the defender late out of his back-pedal when they do run a vertical route.