Jrry32 Return to LA Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, it happened. Time to move forward. My number one priority would be Jared Goff. But in this mock, the Browns snatch him up and the Titans are unwilling to trade down to #15. As always, this is what I'd do if I were in Snead's and Fisher's shoes. Alshon Jeffery was franchised in this mock.

Hire
John DeFilippo OC

It seems like Fisher might be getting it. DeFilippo would be an awesome hire. I really hope the Rams don't interview him and then sit on their hands. They need to get this guy here. His passing schemes with the Browns were awesome and he handled their QBs so well. He's like Gregg Williams in that he adjusts his scheme to fit his personnel and makes the most out of them.

Cut
Jared Cook TE
Chris Long DE
Nick Foles QB
Rodger Saffold OG

Re-sign
Janoris Jenkins - 5 years $55 million (after being franchised)
Trumaine Johnson - 5 years $45 million
Rodney McLeod - 4 years $16 million
Greg Zuerlein - 1 year $1 million
Will Hayes - 3 years $9 million
Tim Barnes - 2 years $3 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Benny Cunningham - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender
Case Keenum - RFA Tender
Cory Harkey - 2 years $3 million

I can't take any more of Nick Foles at QB. We don't save much when we cut him but he's just not worth the roster spot. Mark Barron filled in admirably for Ogletree but he doesn't really have a spot once Alec comes back. Cutting Chris Long hurts but it's time. He can't stay healthy and his skills are declining. Britt has played well enough this year to keep as a deep threat imo. We bring Case Keenum back as the backup QB. Zuerlein gets a "prove it" deal.

Free Agency
travis-benjamin.jpg

Travis Benjamin WR - 5 years $40 million

tight-end-jimmy-graham-80-of-the-new-orleans-saints.jpg

Tony McDaniel DT - 1 year $1.5 million

With the Rams bringing in John DeFilippo, Travis Benjamin comes with him. Marvin Jones goes to the Browns with Hue Jackson to replace Benjamin. Stepping in for the suspended Josh Gordon, Benjamin had a near 1000 yard season (966 yards) at 25 years old. Benjamin is one of the fastest and most explosive WRs in the NFL. He would give the Rams a major deep threat on the outside and another explosive playmaker. He knows DeFilippo's system and DeFilippo knows how to utilize him. There's some risk here because Benjamin is a bit of a one year wonder but there's also plenty of reward because of his age, physical talent, and the fact that he thrived under the OC we brought in.

McDaniel fits what Waufle typically looks for in his DTs in terms of height and weight. He was a good rotational piece in Seattle and Tampa Bay. He's one of the DTs out there that could step in and provide a body to rotate behind Donald and Brockers.

Trade
Rams trade Round 6 Pick #15 and 2017 4th Round Pick
Patriots trade Round 4 Pick #28

Patriots are usually willing to deal for future picks. Rams move up for a guy they're targeting that they're worried won't drop to the 6th round.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #15 - Paxton Lynch QB Memphis

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjrSXeKxMIs

Analysis: There's not really a good comparison for Lynch. He's somewhere between Tannehill and Newton. Better talent than Tannehill but not quite the talent that Newton is. At 6'6" 230, Lynch offers 4.5/4.6 speed with impressive agility and a good arm. He can drive throws to the sideline, he can throw it deep, and he can make the touch throws. Lynch has shown tremendous progression during his time at Memphis. He's been starting since his true freshman year, his stats have improved each year, and his team has done better each year. He's coming out of a spread offense but it's the same system that Andy Dalton played in. Lynch isn't a polished kid. He still has a ways to go in terms of development but his potential is through the roof. Currently, he tends to miss some open WRs when he locks onto his first read, his mechanics on the run need a lot of work as they cause him to be very inconsistent with his accuracy, and he needs show more consistency incorporating his lower half into his throws. Lynch also doesn't have as quick of a release as a guy like Goff although his release isn't so elongated that it's an issue (it's just average in terms of quickness). Still, Lynch has great accuracy when he's mechanically sound, he's an intelligent kid that is clearly dedicated to getting better, he's very tough, and he has all the intangibles needed to succeed (instincts in the pocket, mental processing speed, football IQ, etc.). He also understands the nuances of the position and how to read and attack defensive schemes. Is there risk with Lynch? Yes. But he's extremely physically talented, has shown consistent progression (which gives me a lot of hope for the future...same thing I noted with Bortles while admitting he was raw), and he helped turn a perennial loser into a winner. Why Lynch over Wentz? He's less of a project at this point. More polished mechanically. Both guys are extremely physically talented. Carson has the stronger arm while Lynch is more mobile.
NFL Comparison: Ryan Tannehill/Cam Newton

Round 2 Pick #12 - Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfJHNtZ6JoU

Analysis: Boyd hasn't been in as many of my recent mocks but don't think it's because I've cooled on him at all. I've liked this kid since he was a true freshman. At 6'2" 200 pounds, Boyd is not a burner and doesn't offer dominating size and strength. This leads some to doubt whether he'll separate at the next level. People said the same thing about Keenan Allen and quickly found out that Allen had no trouble separating against NFL CBs. The same will be true of Tyler Boyd. While Boyd does not have elite athleticism or size, he does have outstanding acceleration, quickness, fluidity, and body control. He's also a highly intelligent receiver and a nuanced route runner. He makes crisp cuts, he attacks zone coverage effectively, and he understands how to run his routes in order to position the corner across from him to create separation. Due to his body control and awareness, Boyd works the sideline with veteran precision and does an excellent job of getting proper depth on his routes. Boyd also possesses a great pair of hands which allow him to make tough catches in traffic, go up and get the football in jump ball situations, come down with contested catches, and make acrobatic catches on inaccurate passes. He has the occasional concentration drop but that's not out of the ordinary in young players. In addition to that, Boyd is a very dangerous player with the ball in his hands because he has good vision, isn't afraid of contact, and can cut on a dime. He's a very elusive player. Aside from Boyd lacking dominating size and speed, the biggest weaknesses I see in his game are his inconsistent effort while blocking and his attitude. On film, Boyd comes off as a bit of a diva. He's prone to sulking and visible frustration if the ball isn't coming his way or the QB is making mistakes. But that's a pretty common trait in WRs. He'll need to control his temper and show a more consistent motor in the running game at the NFL level.
NFL Comparison: Keenan Allen

Round 2 Pick #14 - Shawn Oakman DE Baylor

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pd2FpUR93Q

Analysis: There aren't a lot of teams that I think Oakman makes sense for because he's such a boom/bust player but we have arguably the best DL Coach in the NFL, the most talented DL in the NFL, and a Head Coach known for dealing well with players who have character red flags. Oakman does have character red flags but boy is he talented. Oakman is listed at 6'9" 275 by Baylor and looks every bit of it and more. My guess is that he checks in around 6'8" 280 at the Combine with freakishly long arms. Basically, the guy has ridiculous length. On top of that ridiculous length, Oakman is extremely powerful with jarring hands. The kid has one hell of a punch. It's really a shame that he doesn't know how to use it to full potential yet. This is a kid that has the power and length to be rag-dolling OTs like Aldon Smith used to. Oakman is incredibly raw. He doesn't really have a set of pass rush moves. He doesn't understand how to consistently attack the half man or play with proper leverage. He doesn't convert speed to power and power to speed. But we have the right guys to teach him how. He's not like Robert Quinn. He doesn't have the flexibility to bend around the edge. But what he does have is extreme power, closing speed, and great length. That makes him perfect to play the LDE role in our defense. If we can develop this kid, we'll have an absolutely monstrous DL. The issues with him are that he has skinny legs (but it doesn't detract from his power), takes plays off, and has gotten into trouble in the past off the field. But I think he's worth the risk for a team like us. With Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, Robert Quinn, and Will Hayes on your ass on top of Coach Waufle, I don't see how he can not succeed.
NFL Comparison: Calais Campbell

Round 3 Pick #13 - Scooby Wright III ILB/OLB Arizona

View: https://youtu.be/4PUWnNxGqYE

Analysis: According to Arizona, Scooby Wright had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs in 2014 ALONE. Unfortunately for him, he's missed almost this entire season thus far with injuries. This is a kid that doesn't have the NFL look. He's listed at 6'1" 246. I think he'll come in closer to 5'11" 240. But he's a guy that plays with so much passion, relentlessness, and heart that his average athleticism and underwhelming size don't limit his game. He has top tier instincts, great play strength (gym rat), and plays with reckless abandon. Sometimes, that reckless abandon will cause him to miss tackles but it's worth it with how often he's in the back-field making plays. He's Arizona's defensive leader, he is the guy that makes sure everyone is lined up properly, and he's the heart of that defense. They also will move him down to DE on certain passing downs and he's a disruptive, relentless pass rusher. This guy is James Laurinaitis's heir apparent. If Wright isn't available, Tyler Matakevich from Temple and Kentrell Brothers from Missouri are also worth considering. But right now, Wright is being considered a mid round pick due to his lack of measurables and his injury keeping him out all year. This is a kid that was involved in almost every play for Arizona when he was healthy. One of those guys that is always around the ball.
NFL Comparison: Chris Borland

Round 4 Pick #12 - Mike Matthews C Texas A&M

View: https://youtu.be/6osh3LY1VXk

Analysis: Yep, there's another Matthews. Mike isn't blessed with the size that Jake had but he's definitely got the same sort of athleticism and feet that Jake has. Body is a hindrance. Undersized at 6'2" 290ish and he appears to have short arms. My guess is around 32 inches. Wouldn't be surprised if they're shorter than 32. This does cause him some occasional problems. As a pass blocker, he's an absolute rock. He knows when to help, he's an intelligent player that handles stunts and blitzes well, and I didn't notice any issues with bad snaps. In 1-on-1 situations, he consistently shut his man down. Even when his man lands a jarring blow, Matthews is able to drop his butt and widen his base while establishing proper hand positioning and locking on which allows him to stonewall the bullrush after a step or two. When his man tries to knife past him with agility, Matthews shows great footwork and body positioning to slide with the defender, push him up-field, and position his body between the defender and QB at all times. However, Matthews will occasionally duck his head and lunge at defenders because of his arm length and he doesn't have a powerful punch. Often is catching the defender but he's strong and polished in the lower body which allows him to handle this well. As a pass protector, he looks like a quality player and a pro ready guy. As a run blocker, he needs work. Great movement skills, feet, and fluidity which allows him to reach defenders and pull or attack the second level effortlessly. However, he needs to play under control and use angles better on the second level and in the open-field. Too often misses his man because he doesn't position himself well. When blocking 1-on-1 on the LOS, he has enough sand in his pants to get push but he doesn't sustain blocks well. Again, I think the short arms hurt him here and he needs to play with better leverage. As a run blocker, he certainly has upside especially in a zone blocking scheme but will be hit and miss until his OL Coach polishes some technical aspects of his game. Frankly, I'm shocked that NFL teams don't seem to be higher on the guy as I have him as a Day 2/early Day 3 pick but then again, Center is probably my worst position when it comes to evaluations.
NFL Comparison: Jason Kelce

Round 4 Pick #28 - Tyler Higbee TE Western Kentucky

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPiz2_bO08Q

Analysis: Despite missing nearly half of the season with a knee injury (sprain not a tear; not an issue moving forward), Higbee was one of the nation's most productive TEs with 38 receptions for 563 yards and 8 TDs. Higbee is a converted WR that is now up to 6'5" 250. He's a competitive, fiery player that blocks with a passion. He plays through the whistle and has a real mean streak. Basically, the kid is more than a willing blocker. He's competitive and visibly gets angry with himself when he fails to make a block. He's still a work in progress as a blocker and needs to get stronger to block inline at the NFL level but I don't doubt his desire. As a receiver, he's an unrefined route runner that doesn't possess elite athleticism. That all said, Higbee has outstanding hands and can be relied upon to make tough catches in traffic and go up and get the football in the red-zone. He has enough speed to separate but he's not a freakish athlete. The same is true of his movement skills. He'll never be a guy that wins with pure athleticism but if he continues to develop as a route runner, he can be a very effective weapon because of how great his hands are. And after the catch, Higbee is a major threat because he refuses to go down easy and is deceptively elusive. He does compare favorably to Gary Barnidge who had a major breakout year in DeFilippo's system with Cleveland this year.
NFL Comparison: Gary Barnidge

Projected Starters
QB: Paxton Lynch
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Kenny Britt
ZWR: Travis Benjamin
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Jamon Brown
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Cody Wichmann
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: William Hayes
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
OLB: Akeem Ayers
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

My hope is that Mike Matthews, Tyler Boyd, Scooby Wright, and Tyler Higbee are ready to contribute at some point in their rookie year. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Boyd pushes Britt early on for a starting job as he's a fairly polished kid coming from a pro style offense. I also wouldn't be surprised if Scooby Wright finds a way onto the field as a rookie because he's a very versatile player that Gregg Williams will likely find a way to make use of. Mike Matthews will probably need to bulk up and improve his run blocking technique before he's ready to play so he might not be ready to start over Barnes in Year 1. Higbee needs to get stronger and improve as a blocker and route runner but I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the field in passing situations and in the red-zone because of his size and great hands. Oakman should contribute as a rotational player while he develops. There's a possibility that Lynch isn't ready to play Day 1 but I think he likely sees the field and has ups and downs like any rookie.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is your best yet IMO. I hope a guy like Lynch falls to 15 but I don't think he will. Lynch is the second best QB IMO. Some have him first on their position lists. I'd be happy with the entire off-season.

I worry that Defelipo has not signed on with the Rams and may be a prime target for Jackson in Cleveland, or for other new hires Koetter, Macadoo, and Pederson. Isn't it strange how he was content to sign on with Cleveland and Pettine. The Rams are an upgrade to that organizational mess.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is your best yet IMO. I hope a guy like Lynch falls to 15 but I don't think he will. Lynch is the second best QB IMO. Some have him first on their position lists. I'd be happy with the entire off-season.

I worry that Defelipo has not signed on with the Rams and may be a prime target for Jackson in Cleveland, or for other new hires Koetter, Macadoo, and Pederson. Isn't it strange how he was content to sign on with Cleveland and Pettine. The Rams are an upgrade to that organizational mess.

I don't think Jackson is considering him...at least from the reports. Jackson will probably call the plays himself and DeFilippo isn't an Air Coryell guy. I think Pederson might be sticking with Shurmur. And Koetter will likely continue calling the plays himself. McAdoo is promoting Mike Sullivan to OC from what I hear.

I think the only threats to us are the Browns keeping him (if Hue changes his direction) or the 49ers grabbing him.

There is a possibility that somebody else does but right now, there doesn't seem to be a major threat besides San Francisco.

As for Lynch, I could see him going as high as #2 or as low as #22. Hard to know. He's going to be a guy that some will love and some will not like.

Then again, there's a remote possibility that Goff falls to #15.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think Jackson is considering him...at least from the reports. Jackson will probably call the plays himself and DeFilippo isn't an Air Coryell guy. I think Pederson might be sticking with Shurmur. And Koetter will likely continue calling the plays himself. McAdoo is promoting Mike Sullivan to OC from what I hear.

I think the only threats to us are the Browns keeping him (if Hue changes his direction) or the 49ers grabbing him.

There is a possibility that somebody else does but right now, there doesn't seem to be a major threat besides San Francisco.

As for Lynch, I could see him going as high as #2 or as low as #22. Hard to know. He's going to be a guy that some will love and some will not like.

Then again, there's a remote possibility that Goff falls to #15.

Either dropping to 15 would be a dream come true for me.

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't like Benjamin at all seems like another tavon type player. He has occasionall deep shot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't like Benjamin at all seems like another tavon type player. He has occasionall deep shot.

Give me 10 Tavon type players if they can put up over 950 yards with Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel at QB. :LOL:

jjab360

Legend
Not big on Lynch, but really I just don't know what to make of him given the offense he played in, his inconsistent delivery, and his odd off balance delivery.

Give me Wentz, Cook, or optimistically Goff at 15 and that's pretty much the perfect offseason imo. Would be really excited about getting Benjamin as well and that looks like a good chance of happening with DFlip.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Nice Mock jrry. I think people will be very surprised where
  1. A QB with an NFL arm and accuracy
  2. A Viable every down threat Wideout with a physical frame (K Benjamin)
  3. WR depth and TE consistency
  4. Imaginative competent Talent conscious play calling and design
Will take this team.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Excellent Mock @jrry32 you truly have me California Dreaming on such a winter's day! And BTW I really want Scooby Wright just so after the pick I can yell..."Yeah, Yeah, Yeah."

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Thanks Jrry. Great read. I still have hope that Long gets it back when healthy, restructures, and has 3 more years left to enjoy some success.

It may just be hope.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A little different than your last one posted on FF but I like it. Addresses all our needs and does it well.

TexasRam

Legend
I am totally behind getting a top Wr Free Agent and then going QB and Wr in the first two picks.

I would like to see that 2nd 2nd round pick spent on an oline man. Center or tackle preferably.

Not sure about Paxton over Carson but have a hunch we need to move up to get either.

I do like Benjamin. He would be a nice #2 Wr. We still need that #1 possession guy. Maybe Boyd is that guy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't he have a bunch of screens

Nope. As far as I can tell, he only caught 7 screen passes this year. The bulk of his yardage came in the intermediate and deep ranges.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I look at a lot of mocks. Walter Football has a database constantly being updated with new mocks. Yours, by far, is the best I've seen for the Rams. And I can actually see all of these players being available when you have them taken. Aside from Lynch. But if he's gone, sub in a Wentz, and I'm still happy. Do you have Lynch as the #2 QB or did you have someone else that you think goes before him, hence dropping him to us? @jrry32

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that you like Scooby Wright. Lol
Good job as always. Interesting that Cleveland has held on to Defelippo this long. Not doing him any favors that's for sure.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I look at a lot of mocks. Walter Football has a database constantly being updated with new mocks. Yours, by far, is the best I've seen for the Rams. And I can actually see all of these players being available when you have them taken. Aside from Lynch. But if he's gone, sub in a Wentz, and I'm still happy. Do you have Lynch as the #2 QB or did you have someone else that you think goes before him, hence dropping him to us? @jrry32

Yea, Lynch is my #2 QB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice job as always. I'll say this too... If by some miracle the Rams get one of those top 3 QBs at 15 it's gonna make for a great draft.

I think those guys are gonna start rocketing up the board here pretty soon, starting with Wentz after the teams get a load of him during the Senior Bowl practices. But I certainly hope that doesn't happen of course. Got my fingers crossed.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I foresee the top 3 and possibly 4 QBs being taken in the top 10. History says so.