Jrry32 Rams Mock Off-Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With me being new to the site, I'll preface this by saying that these mock off-seasons are always based on what I'd personally do in the Rams shoes. I like to tinker around with a lot of mocks because I like to try out different scenarios based on things being able to workout a million different ways. The moves I make are based off my own personal rankings rather than the consensus or media rankings. While you may not agree with my rankings, I put a lot of time and thought into them. Thanks.

Alright guys, thought I'd explore the possibility of Warmack being gone before we pick. So this is what I'd do if Warmack is off the board at Pick #16:
Cut
Steven Jackson
Quintin Mikell
Wayne Hunter
Chris Williams
Harvey Dahl

Re-sign
William Hayes
Wayne Hunter
Robert Turner
Darian Stewart
Joe Barksdale

Free Agency
kenny_phillips--300x300.jpg

Kenny Phillips SS

512x.jpg

Rob Jackson SLB

Chris-Ivory-Daunta-Robinson.jpg

Chris Ivory HB

460x.jpg

Mike Adams CB/S

tony-McDaniel-3.jpg

Tony McDaniel DT

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #16 - Terrance Williams WR Baylor
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep3ASYyhUB4
Round 1 Pick #22 - Tavon Austin WR/RS West Virginia
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q3UOd9_Tkw
Round 2 Pick #16 - Larry Warford OG Kentucky
Round 3 Pick #16 - Kyle Long OT Oregon
Round 4 Pick #16 - Gavin Escobar TE San Diego State
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgZm7M3PoO8
Round 5 Pick #16 - Earl Watford OG James Madison
Round 6 Pick #16 - Micah Hyde CB/FS Iowa
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtuQRly4xnk
Round 7 Pick #16 - Kemal Ishmael FS/SS UCF
Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muVANT9nyJs

Projected Starting Lineup:
QB - Sam Bradford
HB - Chris Ivory
FB - Lance Kendricks
WR1 - Terrance Williams vs. Brian Quick
WR2 - Chris Givens
WR3 - Tavon Austin
TE1 - Lance Kendricks
TE2 - Gavin Escobar
LT - Rodger Saffold
LG - Rokevious Watkins vs. Shelley Smith vs. Earl Watford
C - Scott Wells
RG - Larry Warford
RT - Kyle Long

LDE - Chris Long
LDT - Kendall Langford
RDT - Michael Brockers
RDE - Robert Quinn
WLB - Jo-Lonn Dunbar
MLB - James Laurinaitis
SLB - Rob Jackson
CB1 - Cortland Finnegan
CB2 - Janoris Jenkins
CB3 - Trumaine Johnson
FS - Micah Hyde vs. Mike Adams vs. Kemal Ishmael
SS - Kenny Phillips

K - Greg Zuerlein
P - John Hekker
LS - Jake McQuaide
KR - Tavon Austin
PR - Tavon Austin

I won't be surprised if this one isn't loved. I know many of us are set on Warmack and the idea of not drafting any OLs in the 1st might scare us. Plus there wasn't a ton of emphasis on defense in the draft.

Ultimately, though, I think we'd do well if things worked out like this. I really really like Ishmael from UCF and I think Hyde from Iowa has a lot of potential at FS. Hyde is more of a deep coverage type with great ball-skills and range. I think he'd do well at FS...very reliable tackler too.

Obviously, adding Austin, Williams and Escobar would offer some more firepower to this offense. But I think Long, Warford and Watford would be underrated additions. Think Long has unbelievable potential in the right situation. Warford is a mauler that is impossible to move in pass pro and Watford is a very talented small school OG. Feel like if Rok didn't take the LG job, Watford might be able to. But man...could you imagine Rok Watkins at LG and Larry Warford at RG? That's 670 to 680 pounds of OG on this OL. :lol:

And I'll say that I do absolutely love Tavon Austin. That kid is breathtaking to watch. You can toss him the ball on 2 yard drag or a 5 yard slant and watch him make 5 defenders miss and pick up 30 yards. His cuts, vision, elusive moves and ability to stop and start on a dime remind me of Barry Sanders...now obviously, he's not Barry but this kid is unbelievable and lethal with the ball in his hands. If we're going to lose Danny, I want to replace him with Tavon. Because he'd add an entirely new dimension to this offense and would just be so much fun to watch.

nighttrain

Legend
a bit different for some, but from past Fisher drafts, well within reason..
thanks Jery. good effort
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Very interesting!

No Amendola.

Terrance Williams in an interesting guy if the Rams go WR.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, I tried to find something I didn't like about that, and besides the loss of Jackson (which would 'have' to happen if you want the cap money to do that FA shopping), I think that's a solid off-season and draft. I'm leaning more towards a TE with the first pick (with Austin at 22), but I'd be satisfied with Escobar in the 4th I suppose. And you do have enough OL in that draft to satisfy my need for quality depth on the line.

Good to see someone else high on Chris Ivory too. Kenny Phillips is kind of scary. Good player, excellent size, but only has 41 starts in 5 years. Do you know how bad his MCL injury was last year? And do you figure his contract to be any easier to digest than say, Louis Delmas (hint hint)? At any rate, it's looking like they'll need two starting safeties if this off-season goes down the way many think it will. I'd really be interested in picking Cecil's brain when it comes to McLeod, Stewart and Daniels too. Would be cool to know what we have there.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
Well, I tried to find something I didn't like about that, and besides the loss of Jackson (which would 'have' to happen if you want the cap money to do that FA shopping), I think that's a solid off-season and draft. I'm leaning more towards a TE with the first pick (with Austin at 22), but I'd be satisfied with Escobar in the 4th I suppose. And you do have enough OL in that draft to satisfy my need for quality depth on the line.

Good to see someone else high on Chris Ivory too. Kenny Phillips is kind of scary. Good player, excellent size, but only has 41 starts in 5 years. Do you know how bad his MCL injury was last year? And do you figure his contract to be any easier to digest than say, Louis Delmas (hint hint)? At any rate, it's looking like they'll need two starting safeties if this off-season goes down the way many think it will. I'd really be interested in picking Cecil's brain when it comes to McLeod, Stewart and Daniels too. Would be cool to know what we have there.

I'm in the boat thinking the Rams go TE in the first round. Two very interesting guys, the E's, and one or both of them will be there for us.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:

Phillips returned to action and started in Week 17 after the MCL injury so I don't think it's an issue moving forward. Him and Delmas both have durability issues and likely would be looking at similar contracts. I personally think Phillips is a better player. My issue with Delmas is that I think he plays recklessly and out of control. That's an attribute that I don't like in my safeties. I think this play really sums up what I'm saying here:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss ... s-by-Lions

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I fully support the effort and logic jrry32. Personally I would prefer to see SJax retained over most if not all FA additions you mentioned. Its not due to wanting alternative players we all know he's not washed up hell not even close. He's still lethal in the blocking and receiving game and bullrushes the rock. I found it very interesting you predicted us drafting 2 WRs at #16/22.

This is definitely a topic I enjoy reading and thinking about. Agree Phillips =Delmas both have consistent injury history...as I would rather get our stud SS in the draft very early.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
2 more rookie WRs is not what we need IMO. I understand the need for more explosive players but I seriously think we need a vet WR in FA. I would be happy with Greg Jennings.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Young Ram said:
2 more rookie WRs is not what we need IMO. I understand the need for more explosive players but I seriously think we need a vet WR in FA. I would be happy with Greg Jennings.

I disagree. Why pay a near 30 year old WR 7 to 9 million a year when we can get a 22 or 23 year old kid with a ton of talent for 1.5 million a year? We have a young QB and a young offense, lets continue to build up our talent so we can be competitive for a long time.

The draft isn't about 2013. It's about the next 5 years or the next 10 years. I'd rather set ourselves up for the future than sacrifice the future for the present.

Lets give Sam some young weapons to build with. What we need are talented WRs with the athletic gifts to beat iso coverage. Both these guys can.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
jrry32 said:
Young Ram said:

I disagree. Why pay a near 30 year old WR 7 to 9 million a year when we can get a 22 or 23 year old kid with a ton of talent for 1.5 million a year? We have a young QB and a young offense, lets continue to build up our talent so we can be competitive for a long time.

The draft isn't about 2013. It's about the next 5 years or the next 10 years. I'd rather set ourselves up for the future than sacrifice the future for the present.

Lets give Sam some young weapons to build with. What we need are talented WRs with the athletic gifts to beat iso coverage. Both these guys can.

What makes you think he will get 7-9 million / year? He definitely hasn't earned that type of money the last 2 years.

The reason why I want a veteran is for Sam's sake. A reliable target that has shown he can play at a high level. I wouldn't feel comfortable having a bunch of youngsters learning on the fly and what if one of them got hurt then what?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Young Ram said:
jrry32 said:
Young Ram said:

What makes you think he will get 7-9 million / year? He definitely hasn't earned that type of money the last 2 years.

The reason why I want a veteran is for Sam's sake. A reliable target that has shown he can play at a high level. I wouldn't feel comfortable having a bunch of youngsters learning on the fly and what if one of them got hurt then what?

What if Jennings got hurt...like he was for most of 2012? I picked 2 WRs who haven't had any durability issues in college(neither missed a game in their career in college)...gotta hope they stay healthy.

7 to 9 million is the going rate for a top FA WR. Santonio Holmes got 9 million a year. Vincent Jackson got 11 million a year. Pierre Garcon got 8+ million a year. Sidney Rice got 8+ million a year. Even Reggie Wayne at 33 years old got around 6 million a year.

FA WRs don't come cheap.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I am intrigued by the options that a guy like Austin brings. I do agree that it would mean moving on from Amendola, which would be hard to swallow for a lot of fans (myself included) but might be necessary evil considering his injury history and that he will garner a raise. Austin would also be a huge addition to S/T considering the young guys this past season proved to be largely ineffective on returns.

My gut says Amendola would have to stay, but Austin could make a great pick-up and become a part-time contributor making Amendola a trade piece by 2014. I could easily see a guy like Willaims taking Gibson's spot. I still like Aaron Dobson as a good replacement player there too, and that would allow the team to still go Safety or O-Line in the first.

It's a pretty good mock-up in that it takes an unconventional look at the off-season. What we as fans would like to happen, very rarely does, so I appreciate it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
No offense, but I wouldn't like this scenario at all.

Basically rebuilding again by cutting 3 main guys and creating more holes.

I like Ivory but he is a RFA...so it might cost something to get a pick. Might as well draft an awesome, new RB w/ no injury history.

Kenny Phillips...no please. He always seems to be hurt. And spending FA dollars on another DT? I doubt it, considering there's Cudjo and Conrath (which for some reason hasn't been cut or PSd, or anything).

Not resiging Amendola, so Givens, Quick, and 2 rookies? That's a big risk.

My style is to sign 1 big FA (someone like Byrd or Goldson), one solid contributor (like Daryl Smith OLB), and uild the rest through the draft (avoiding double dipping).

Appreciate the effort man, but I just think this sets the team back more than ahead.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
jrry32 said:
Young Ram said:
jrry32 said:
Young Ram said:

What if Jennings got hurt...like he was for most of 2012? I picked 2 WRs who haven't had any durability issues in college(neither missed a game in their career in college)...gotta hope they stay healthy.

7 to 9 million is the going rate for a top FA WR. Santonio Holmes got 9 million a year. Vincent Jackson got 11 million a year. Pierre Garcon got 8+ million a year. Sidney Rice got 8+ million a year. Even Reggie Wayne at 33 years old got around 6 million a year.

FA WRs don't come cheap.

I still wouldn't feel comfortable going into the season with inexperienced WRs. Its to risky. We need at least 1 Vet WR.

Also all those guys you mentioned had good/great years when they received their contracts. Jennings?

gregl.png

Not exactly 7-9 mill /year worthy.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Young Ram said:
jrry32 said:
Young Ram said:
jrry32 said:
Young Ram said:

FA WRs don't come cheap.

I still wouldn't feel comfortable going into the season with inexperienced WRs. Its to risky. We need at least 1 Vet WR.

Also all those guys you mentioned had good/great years when they received their contracts. Jennings?

gregl.png

Gotta think scarcity will drive up the price though. Plus he's a known commodity. Bowe and Wallace are the top 2 targets, and they're both streaky at best, sketchy at least.

If I were calling the shots, I'd still roll the dice on the guy. His numbers might have been inflated in GB, but he's a great route runner and can still get past defenders without much of a problem.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd rank my favorite FA WR;

Wallace
Bowe
Jennings

Part of me is really intrigued by Bowe, who hasn't had much of a QB throwing to him.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Angry Ram said:
No offense, but I wouldn't like this scenario at all.

Basically rebuilding again by cutting 3 main guys and creating more holes.

I like Ivory but he is a RFA...so it might cost something to get a pick. Might as well draft an awesome, new RB w/ no injury history.

Kenny Phillips...no please. He always seems to be hurt. And spending FA dollars on another DT? I doubt it, considering there's Cudjo and Conrath (which for some reason hasn't been cut or PSd, or anything).

Not resiging Amendola, so Givens, Quick, and 2 rookies? That's a big risk.

My style is to sign 1 big FA (someone like Byrd or Goldson), one solid contributor (like Daryl Smith OLB), and uild the rest through the draft (avoiding double dipping).

Appreciate the effort man, but I just think this sets the team back more than ahead.

I'd be just fine with that but something to keep in mind is that we're not the only team in the market. Byrd will likely be franchised and Goldson will be in very high demand due to the extreme shortage of quality safeties. He can signed anywhere he wants. And if Byrd does hit the market, he will get paid and paid well. So if we sign Byrd, I have strong doubts that we can afford to sign much else...not even a solid aging vet like Daryl Smith who I quite like and have included in multiple mocks.

The thing is that you have to make sacrifices if you want to spend in FA. You don't cut those 3 guys then you have no money to spend.

As for Ivory, the assumption is that he was set at Original Round tender or ROFR. Any other tender and I'd steer clear.

I disagree with it setting the team back more than ahead. You want to succeed as a NFL team, you build a sustainable contender. And you do that by continually getting younger. It's a business and it's always best to move on from an older player before they start to be a drain on the team. We have failed to do that in the past. We have had great opportunities to move on from our vets right before they declined(Holt for 1st rounder trade that we turned down is an example) and we failed to do it.

I love SJ. And I love the attitude that Dahl and Mikell bring to this team. But this is a business, these 3 guys don't have much left in the tank and are making a lot of money. Gotta move on and replace them before their decline hits them hard. Just gotta focus on getting younger. Although you still want to keep a few vets on the team for leadership purposes.

As for the FA dollars on the DT, McDaniel would get around the vet minimum. It's just a depth pick-up because he fits the type of DT we're trying to find. 6'7" 305 and a good run stopper. You're not shelling out much of anything for a guy that can be a solid role player off the bench.

Young Ram said:

gregl.png

Do you think Jennings is a 360 yard WR? I don't see why you'd want him if he was.

Jennings will be valued on the market because of his history and skill-set...the same reason why you value him. FA WRs are expensive because teams get into bidding wars for them. As someone else said, you're dealing with scarcity here and there are a shortage of #1 type WRs hitting the market. So when they do, they get paid well.