Jrry32 QB of the Future Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cut
Jared Cook TE
Rodger Saffold OG
Kenny Britt WR

Restructure
Chris Long DE

Re-sign
Janoris Jenkins - 5 years $50 million
Trumaine Johnson - 4 years $28 million
Mark Barron - 3 years $15 million
Greg Zuerlein - 3 years $6 million
Rodney McLeod - 3 years $15 million
Will Hayes - 2 years $6 million
Tim Barnes - 2 years $3 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Benny Cunningham - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender
Cory Harkey - 2 years $4 million

Free Agency
030314-HOF-Header.jpg

Anquan Boldin WR - 2 years $10 million

RhettEllison-Brace-Hemmelgarn.jpg

Rhett Ellison TE - 2 years $5 million
DL Depth (Akiem Hicks or Billy Winn are backup DT options)

Yes, Anquan Boldin is getting way up there in years but he had back to back 1000+ yard seasons coming into this year and has produced well this year when on the field (even with Kaep's suckitude). Boldin's game ages well and I think a veteran leader like Boldin would do our WR corp some good. Boldin also provides the reliable pass catcher we currently lack.

Rhett Ellison is similar to Cory Harkey. He's played both TE and FB in Minnesota. He's brought in to be our #2 TE behind Kendricks. Solid blocker and receiver. Not a special player but a good role player.

Trade
Rams trade Round 1 Pick #22, Round 2 Pick #22, and 2017 1st
Jaguars trade Round 1 Pick #5

Like I said, this is the time for a bold move. The Redskins gave us all those first rounders and the Eagles gave us an extra 2nd. It's time to go after our QB of the future. There are a bunch of teams around the top of the draft that already have QBs (Ravens, Jaguars, Chargers, Titans, Cowboys, etc.) and I think a few will be open to trading down.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #5 - Jared Goff QB California

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEGafktM5r4

Analysis: I think Paxton Lynch will be the #1 QB drafted because of his physical upside and the amount of progression he's shown over his three years in college. However, whether it's Lynch or Goff, if we get one of those two guys, we'll be very happy. Taking a year to develop Goff will do him some good. Goff needs to add weight to his frame and correct some inconsistencies in his lower body mechanics.(he's also coming out of an Air Raid offense) However, Goff also just turned 21 years (less than a month ago) and already shows several attributes you don't expect to see in a young passer. Goff has awesome feet and a great feel in the pocket. His pocket presence is elite for a QB prospect. His feet are always active, he's always moving, and his instincts for finding space to buy time are amazing. He's been under a ton of pressure this year due to his OL and he's shown time and time again that he can buy time in the pocket like NFL pocket passers do. On top of that, Goff's accuracy and touch are great. He makes a ton of "wow" throws and already shows the ability to throw WRs open. Goff is also a cerebral passer that will take off and run when given a lane or use his feet to buy time and make plays down the field. I think he's a top tier QB prospect. You develop this kid right and he's going to be a top QB for the foreseeable future.
NFL Comparison: Matt Ryan

Round 2 Pick #17 - Joshua Garnett OG Stanford

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsQsI34OUAQ

Analysis: With Garrett Reynolds filling in well for Saffold, we take an OG in Garnett to develop behind Reynolds. Garnett is the type of OL the Rams have typically gone for. He's a big boy at 6'5" 320 with a mean streak. He plays through the whistle, looks to bury defenders, and can be an absolutely violent blocker. I haven't seen enough video to fully evaluate Garnett but in what I have seen, I didn't see any glaring flaws in pass pro or run blocking. He's not an elite athlete which can lead him a tad exposed in space but he generally does a nice job of making his blocks when pulling or on the second level. All in all, he looks like a strong OG prospect to me. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes higher than this. The one thing that hurts him is that he's a pure OG prospect.
NFL Comparison: Carl Nicks

Round 3 Pick #22 - Scooby Wright III ILB Arizona

Analysis: According to Arizona, Scooby Wright had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs in 2014 ALONE. Unfortunately for him, he's missed almost this entire season thus far with injuries. This is a kid that doesn't have the NFL look. He's listed at 6'1" 246. I think he'll come in closer to 5'11" 240. But he's a guy that plays with so much passion, relentlessness, and heart that his average athleticism and underwhelming size don't limit his game. He has top tier instincts, great play strength (gym rat), and plays with reckless abandon. Sometimes, that reckless abandon will cause him to miss tackles but it's worth it with how often he's in the back-field making plays. He's Arizona's defensive leader, he is the guy that makes sure everyone is lined up properly, and he's the heart of that defense. They also will move him down to DE on certain passing downs and he's a disruptive, relentless pass rusher. This guy is James Laurinaitis's heir apparent and I have a feeling Gregg Williams will find a way to use his versatile skill-set in the mean time. If Wright isn't available, Tyler Matakevich from Temple is also worth considering.
NFL Comparison: Chris Borland

Round 4 Pick #22 - Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuyJjtMpcJs

Analysis: I've still got a lot of evaluation left to do with Kupp but watching the entirety of his Oregon game, he blew me away. His YAC skills are off the charts and he made some tough catches. Also looks to have NFL athleticism and good hands. I think he's a prospect that's definitely worth developing. Plus, you can't argue with his production. He put up 93 catches, 1691 yards, and 21 TDs as a freshman, 104 catches, 1431 yards, and 16 TDs as a sophomore, and currently has 91 catches, 1290 yards, and 17 TDs as a junior. His father was a NFL QB and his grandfather was a Pro Bowl OG in the NFL.
NFL Comparison: Pierre Garcon

Projected Starters
QB: Nick Foles
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Anquan Boldin
ZWR: Tavon Austin
SLWR: Stedman Bailey
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Garrett Reynolds
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm good with trading that for Goff or Lynch. Whomever falls. I'm not okay with a guard in the second round. A wide receiver like Pharoh Cooper or Tyler Boyd would interest me, but definitely not a guard.

Also, I don't think Wright drops to the third round. Someone takes him based on talent in the second, so you might as well have Matakevich in that spot.

Admittedly don't know much about Kupp, so I'll defer to your evaluation.

In addition, I don't think that you re-sign all of those free agents as well as our own. That's a lot of cap space when we need to extend people like McDonald and Brockers, and you might actually need to franchise Jenkins based on his comments on wanting to test free agency.

Stel

Starter
If a QB they like is there when it is our turn, take him. If you can move up and get your guy, do it. That said, I'm not sold on Goff as that guy. I think he should stay in school and keep learning.

If we take a QB in this draft, my money is on Dak Prescott, Mississippi State. Not that he would be my choice, but I think Fisher will see him as a Steve McNair type QB that will fit the offense he wants to run. I'm guessing he currently has a 3rd round grade but is rising. I know many here don't like him, but the guy ticks all the boxes. Three year + starter who has improved every year both in completion percentage and in TD/int ratio. Very mobile, good runner, solidly built to take punishment. Seems to have a good head for the game.

My prediction: If he is there in the 3rd round, we will take him. If not before.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I hate the 49ers and the Pac12 conference so this offseason is pretty much my biggest nightmare!

Athos

Legend
Wow.

First time seeing Goff's highlights.

Yea, it's definitely an air raid offense....

But fuck, I am in love with the dude's ball placement. Yea, it's highlights, but he's either leading his WRs perfectly downfield or he's dropping it right into the bread basket. And he can really move in that pocket, and he seems to be keeping his eyes downfield at all times.

I'll have to watch some CAL games down the stretch if they end up on the TV.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow.

First time seeing Goff's highlights.

Yea, it's definitely an air raid offense....

But freak, I am in love with the dude's ball placement. Yea, it's highlights, but he's either leading his WRs perfectly downfield or he's dropping it right into the bread basket. And he can really move in that pocket, and he seems to be keeping his eyes downfield at all times.

I'll have to watch some CAL games down the stretch if they end up on the TV.

Yep. The guy makes unreal "wow" throws. And he moves in the pocket like 10 year NFL veteran.

Check these plays out from this year:

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13800549

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13800469

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13747122

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:13951319

If a QB they like is there when it is our turn, take him. If you can move up and get your guy, do it. That said, I'm not sold on Goff as that guy. I think he should stay in school and keep learning.

I am sold. There's no reason for him to stay in college and develop in an offense that doesn't resemble a NFL offense. Getting in a NFL offense, sitting for a year, and developing in the pro game will do far more for him.

I'm good with trading that for Goff or Lynch. Whomever falls. I'm not okay with a guard in the second round. A wide receiver like Pharoh Cooper or Tyler Boyd would interest me, but definitely not a guard.

I'm more interested in protecting our QB than anything else. Give a good QB time and they'll pick a defense apart.

Also, I don't think Wright drops to the third round. Someone takes him based on talent in the second, so you might as well have Matakevich in that spot.

He may or may not. Borland did. Wright has been injured all year and I don't expect him to kill it at the Combine.

Admittedly don't know much about Kupp, so I'll defer to your evaluation.

In addition, I don't think that you re-sign all of those free agents as well as our own. That's a lot of cap space when we need to extend people like McDonald and Brockers, and you might actually need to franchise Jenkins based on his comments on wanting to test free agency.

I ran the numbers. It can be done. Trust me. :)

Please for the love of football say no to Goff!

I'm saying yes to Goff every single time.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Everyone looks good in highlights but when you watch him in a game he doesn't look that good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone looks good in highlights but when you watch him in a game he doesn't look that good.

I've watched 8 of Goff's games. I don't agree with you at all.

Last edited:

Memento

Name
Jemma
I'm more interested in protecting our QB than anything else. Give a good QB time and they'll pick a defense apart.

He may or may not. Borland did. Wright has been injured all year and I don't expect him to kill it at the Combine.

I ran the numbers. It can be done. Trust me. :)

Disagree. Who do you throw it to aside from Austin? I'm shocked that you don't take Boyd when he's probably right there due to his Keenan Allen comparison and alcohol-related arrest. Give a good quarterback time, and they'll pick a defense apart for certain, but they can't if they have nothing to pick a defense apart with aside from Tavon.

Borland didn't have the pure statistics that Wright does. Wright averaged something like two or three tackles for a loss a game; Borland never did anything like that for Wisconsin. He may be injured all year, but his talent is going to trump anyone's opinion of him, and he has zero character issues of which to speak of, unlike Burfict and Dawson. He's more apt to go where Wagner went than where Borland went.

Then how do you re-sign Brockers and McDonald at the end of the year when they'll be free agents? What if Jenkins needs a franchise tag? I'd love to see the numbers personally because I don't think that McLeod will sign for that little. He's become one of the better free safeties in the game. I think you'd need to restructure Laurinaitis as well in order to fit everything under the cap, and even then, I just don't know if that fits under the cap.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree. Who do you throw it to aside from Austin? I'm shocked that you don't take Boyd when he's probably right there due to his Keenan Allen comparison and alcohol-related arrest. Give a good quarterback time, and they'll pick a defense apart for certain, but they can't if they have nothing to pick a defense apart with aside from Tavon.

Anquan Boldin, Stedman Bailey, Lance Kendricks, Todd Gurley, Cooper Kupp, etc.

I didn't take Boyd, as much as I like him, because I felt that Garnett + Kupp offers us more than Boyd + a 4th round OG.

Borland didn't have the pure statistics that Wright does. Wright averaged something like two or three tackles for a loss a game; Borland never did anything like that for Wisconsin. He may be injured all year, but his talent is going to trump anyone's opinion of him, and he has zero character issues of which to speak of, unlike Burfict and Dawson. He's more apt to go where Wagner went than where Borland went.

Compare their sophomore years:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/chris-borland-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/scooby-wright-1.html

Only differences between them are Wright's sacks (because he's used as an edge rusher on passing downs) and Borland's INTs/PDs (because he was dropped into coverage). Both of them put up outstanding numbers.

Bobby Wagner went as high as he did because on top of being a great college player, he put up RIDICULOUS numbers at his Pro Day.(4.46 40, 39.5" VJ, etc.) Scooby won't do that. Like Borland, his ability on the field will do the talking...not his Combine/Pro Day numbers.

Then how do you re-sign Brockers and McDonald at the end of the year when they'll be free agents? What if Jenkins needs a franchise tag? I'd love to see the numbers personally because I don't think that McLeod will sign for that little. He's become one of the better free safeties in the game. I think you'd need to restructure Laurinaitis as well in order to fit everything under the cap, and even then, I just don't know if that fits under the cap.

With the additional ~$25-30 million in cap room we'll have the next year. What if Jenkins needs the franchise tag? We'll tag him. I doubt Jenkins will prefer the franchise tag to a long-term deal.

McLeod will be getting slightly less money than T.J. Ward, Antoine Bethea, and Malcolm Jenkins got. All three are superior safeties.

I ran the numbers. It fits under the cap. Laurinaitis will only be making $6.4 million. No reason to restructure him. Especially when he's likely to be cut after 2016.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But I'll run the numbers for you @Memento if it will help:
Beginning Cap Space: 38,638,345
Cut Jared Cook - Save $5.7 million
Cut Kenny Britt - Save $4.85 million
Cut Rodger Saffold - Save $3 million
New Cap Space: $52,187,904
Re-sign Janoris Jenkins - 5 years $50 million
Re-sign Trumaine Johnson - 4 years $28 million
Re-sign Mark Barron - 3 years $15 million
Re-sign Greg Zuerlein - 3 years $6 million
Re-sign Rodney McLeod - 3 years $15 million
Re-sign Will Hayes - 2 years $6 million
Re-sign Tim Barnes - 2 years $3 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender ($2.35 million)
Benny Cunningham - RFA Tender ($1.53 million)
Cody Davis - RFA Tender ($1.53 million)
Re-sign Cory Harkey - 2 years $4 million
New Cap Space: $11.28 million
Sign Anquan Boldin - $5 million
Sign Rhett Ellison - $2.5 million
Depth - $2 million
New Cap Space: $1.78 million

However, that doesn't take into account $4.45 million in cap room we currently are slated to roll-over, a Chris Long pay-cut, and the fact that the first year of contracts are typically slightly cheaper than later years because of up-front bonuses. So yes, we have the money. And we'll have the money in 2016 to keep Brockers and McDonald.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Anquan Boldin, Stedman Bailey, Lance Kendricks, Todd Gurley, Cooper Kupp, etc.

I didn't take Boyd, as much as I like him, because I felt that Garnett + Kupp offers us more than Boyd + a 4th round OG.

I honestly don't think that we need yet another guard over a wide receiver. Boldin is declining at a sharp rate, Bailey is pretty much a fourth wide receiver, Kendricks is an average tight end, Cooper Kupp is a rookie, etc.

I'm sorry, but I'm not comfortable with any draft that advocates a guard over someone like Boyd or Pharoh Cooper, especially when our number one need is at wide receiver and when guys like Britt and Quick are both gone in your scenario.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I honestly don't think that we need yet another guard over a wide receiver. Boldin is declining at a sharp rate, Bailey is pretty much a fourth wide receiver, Kendricks is an average tight end, Cooper Kupp is a rookie, etc.

I'm sorry, but I'm not comfortable with any draft that advocates a guard over someone like Boyd or Pharoh Cooper, especially when our number one need is at wide receiver and when guys like Britt and Quick are both gone in your scenario.

Anquan Boldin is coming off back to back 1000+ yard seasons and was on pace for 850 yards this year with shitty Kaepernick as his QB before his injury.

I do think we need to shore up our OL over grabbing a WR. A WR does us no good if Foles and Goff can't get the ball to them.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I really like Goff.....Starting to like Lynch...But I'ma Goff/Cook guy.....Hell, I'd take Hackenberg .....Oh, I'm sure you've noticed how much I campaign for Hogan too....

Garnett....hmmm.....I gotta see him versus ND...Hopefully he goes to the Senior Bowl....At this moment, I like Wichmann....

boy, you sure wanna cut a bunch of guys that make up our foundation.....LOL, that's usually me....:LOL...that's why I like you @jrry32 ....Cook will prove his worth....I like that TE outta Michigan...

Checking out Arkansas, and can't find Hunter Henry....Is he playing today??? JK...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Got to watch both Goff and Paxton go against terrible D yesterday and color me unimpressed.
Still like Brandon Doughty over all of them and he can be had in the 3rd or 4th. Get Boyd in the 1st unless Fuller comes out

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Got to watch both Goff and Paxton go against terrible D yesterday and color me unimpressed.
Still like Brandon Doughty over all of them and he can be had in the 3rd or 4th. Get Boyd in the 1st unless Fuller comes out

I think he'll still be available 2-3 rounds later than that.(I'll be surprised if he goes before Round 6) He's the same type of player as David Fales...but I think Fales was a better prospect on film.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he'll still be available 2-3 rounds later than that.(I'll be surprised if he goes before Round 6) He's the same type of player as David Fales...but I think Fales was a better prospect on film.
Much stronger arm than Fales
Held his own against LSU too. Bowl matchup would help

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Much stronger arm than Fales
Held his own against LSU too. Bowl matchup would help

I thought he looked bad against LSU and I don't see a strong arm.(or an arm any better than Fales's)

Memento

Name
Jemma
Will change a few things about your draft:

Jared Goff/Paxton Lynch.

Josh Doctson in the second round.

De'Runnya Wilson in the third round.

Brandon Shell/Le'Raven Clark in the fourth round.

Best of all worlds.