Jrry32 Post-FA Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Giles27

UDFA
Name
Giles Loveless
Gesicki is a poor and unmotivated blocker. He does the bare minimum in that department.
Exactly. Mcvay wants his skill position players to be "willing blockers".
I don't see that being a part of Gesicki game.

dang

Legend
Would love Settle in 2nd round. The 6th round picks look solid. Not thrilled by any of the other picks especially another TE in round 2 - we need an ILB or Edge for that pick.

Ranma

Rookie
I'm a bit of a draftnik for all four of the major North American professional sports leagues, but I'm not well-versed on college football prospects, though I think I can get a decent handle from the thumbnail profiles I've gone over from NFL.com and the scouting reports provided by jrry32, which I greatly appreciate, by the way. Having said that, please take my opinions with a grain of salt and feel welcome to provide some constructive enlightenment.

While I have defense as the higher priority, I subscribe to the notion of taking the best player available as frequently as feasible, especially with high draft picks. The NFL Draft, more so than the others, has a premium on draft picks filling needs--which are typically of the immediate variety--so I get why teams' strategies are focused on filling holes on the roster.

Given that the Rams pursued Eifert in free agency, I actually see Goedert being a realistic possibility in the draft provided that we trade down, especially given McVay's use of tight ends previously in his offense in Washington and the need to replace some of Watkins' production. From what I've read and heard, Gesicki may have the more overall natural ability and physical tools but he doesn't have the inclination or mindset to block consistently, which is also why I've had Goedert ranked above him. In fact, I have Ian Thomas from Indiana as the more appealing and better fit for the Rams as a tight end prospect over Gesicki as well.

I also like Tim Settle as a NT prospect if we somehow were to trade up or down into the second round, but there may be better prospects than him available and our priorities might shift if the Rams somehow signed Suh or Hankins in the off-season.

I'm also sold on Cichy as an ILB prospect but I suspect we'll need to take him with our final pick in the fourth round while jrry32 has convinced me to elevate Holland for consideration as an OLB prospect. I was already aware of him, but had concerns about his lack of ideal physical and athletic profile; he'd be a nice complement if we were to draft a more athletic outside linebacker like Shaquem Griffin. I also like Miami defensive end prospect Chad Thomas given his athletic attributes and in spite of his lack of polish, which contrasts with Holland.

I've heard that Wade Phillips might not prioritize ILB high in the draft, but I'm targeting Leighton Vander Esch from Boise State with our top pick unless Tremaine Edmunds, Marcus Davenport, or Calvin Ridley fall to us at 23rd overall. However, there seems to be a decent chance of Vander Esch being available in the early to mid second round, but he seems to be a fast riser up the draft board.

Last edited:

Ranma

Rookie
Round 6 Pick #21 - Phillip Lindsay HB Colorado

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lpqc99k9-I

Analysis: Phillip Lindsay's nickname is the "Tasmanian Devil" because of his endless energy, toughness, and refusal to let his size limit him. At 5'7" 185 pounds, Lindsay is definitely undersized, but that didn't stop him from rushing for 2726 yards and 30 TDs over the past two seasons at Colorado. He also caught 76 passes during that time. Lindsay is a fearless pass protector who will stonewall edge rushers despite his small stature. He saved his QB from a number of hits in college. He's actually been compared to Chris Thompson by some, and there's validity to the comparison. Lindsay is small with good speed (4.39 40 at his Pro Day), great pass protection skills, and good pass-catching skills. He won't break a lot of tackles as a runner, but he'll get what's blocked. He has the potential to be a valuable HB on passing downs.

With the Rams meeting with RB Mike Davis, there may be less of a need to utilize a selection on a halfback like Lindsay but I've been intrigued with Southern Mississippi running back Ito Smith. Do you have any thoughts on him?

Also, I'm curious what you think of Southern Miss wide receiver Korey Robertson as well as Oklahoma fullback Dmitri Flowers. Do you think Flowers could be available in the sixth round?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've heard that Wade Phillips might not prioritize ILB high in the draft, but I'm targeting Leighton Vander Esch from Boise State with our top pick unless Tremaine Edmunds, Marcus Davenport, or Calvin Ridley fall to us at 23rd overall. However, there seems to be a decent chance of Vander Esch being available in the early to mid second round, but he seems to be a fast riser up the draft board.

I can't see Vander Each falling out of the first, but I'd love him at #23.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
@jrry32 What happened to Tyler Higbee? He is chopped liver now?

I thought he had a lot of promise and was a good blocker...