Jrry32 Post-FA Letdown Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a feeling a lot of us feel a little bit let down with how FA has gone so far. Here's what I think we should do moving forward in FA.
Cut
Rodger Saffold OG

Re-sign
Daren Bates LB
Cory Harkey FB
Greg Zuerlein K
Eugene Sims DE
Cody Davis S
Mark Barron OLB
Trumaine Johnson CB (tagged)
Case Keenum QB
William Hayes DE
Tim Barnes C

Free Agency
Anquan Boldin WR
Rashad Johnson FS
Al Woods DT

Trade
Rams trade Round 1 Pick #15, Round 2 Pick #12, and 2017 Round 3 Pick
Ravens trade Round 1 Pick #6

Rams trade Round 2 Pick #14 and Round 6 Pick #15
Panthers trade Round 2 Pick #31, Round 3 Pick #31, and Round 5 Pick #31

Rams trade Round 4 Pick #12
Packers trade Round 4 Pick #27 and Round 5 Pick #27

We decide to move up for our QB. Baltimore is getting slightly better value on the chart.

Panthers are an aggressive team on draft day. We are looking to recoup some picks and are okay with waiting until the end of the 2nd for our guy.

Again, just trying to recoup a pick. Packers are typically willing to trade up for their guy on Day 3.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #6 - Jared Goff QB California

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTNZjkdPTe8

Analysis: In terms of style, I think Goff compares most to Manning but I think his realistic ceiling is Rivers as expecting anyone to be Manning is unrealistic. According to Goff's OC, he was responsible for the entire offense at the LOS. He could call audible, change protections, change routes, etc. He had full freedom. Goff and his WRs develop hand signals to change their routes when they noticed an advantage. As a player, Goff is the best pure thrower in this class. He possesses a good but not elite arm. However, he has top shelf accuracy, touch, and anticipation. Goff put on a show at the Combine. On top of his throwing ability, Goff possesses extremely quick feet and polished footwork. He moves effortlessly in the pocket and is always in position to throw. Goff's instincts and feel for the pocket are as good as any QB that came out in the past few years. What issues does Goff have? He's coming out of an offense without a dense playbook and he has a thinnish frame at 6'4" 215. Oh, and his hands are 9 inches which is right at the bottom of the allowable range. Still, I don't think these are major issues. This kid is a future franchise QB and if he ends up on the Rams, we'll win at least one Super Bowl.
NFL Comparison: Philip Rivers

Round 2 Pick #31 - Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfJHNtZ6JoU

Analysis: I've liked this kid since he was a true freshman. At 6'1" 197 pounds, Boyd is not a burner and doesn't offer dominating size and strength. This leads some to doubt whether he'll separate at the next level. People said the same thing about Keenan Allen and quickly found out that Allen had no trouble separating against NFL CBs. The same will be true of Tyler Boyd. While Boyd does not have elite athleticism or size, he does have outstanding acceleration, quickness, fluidity, and body control. He's also a highly intelligent receiver and a nuanced route runner. He makes crisp cuts, he attacks zone coverage effectively, and he understands how to run his routes in order to position the corner across from him to create separation. Due to his body control and awareness, Boyd works the sideline with veteran precision and does an excellent job of getting proper depth on his routes. Boyd also possesses a great pair of hands which allow him to make tough catches in traffic, go up and get the football in jump ball situations, come down with contested catches, and make acrobatic catches on inaccurate passes. He has the occasional concentration drop but that's not out of the ordinary in young players. In addition to that, Boyd is a very dangerous player with the ball in his hands because he has good vision, isn't afraid of contact, and can cut on a dime. He's a very elusive player. Aside from Boyd lacking dominating size and speed, the biggest weaknesses I see in his game are his inconsistent effort while blocking and his attitude. On film, Boyd comes off as a bit of a diva. He's prone to sulking and visible frustration if the ball isn't coming his way or the QB is making mistakes. But that's a pretty common trait in WRs. He'll need to control his temper and show a more consistent motor in the running game at the NFL level. Boyd's stock has fallen a tad because he ran a 4.58 40 but people act like that's a surprise. It's wasn't. Hasn't affected my evaluation one bit. If Boyd isn't here, Sterling Shepard would be another guy I'd target.
NFL Comparison: Keenan Allen

Round 3 Pick #13 - Nick Martin OG/C Notre Dame

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xUzWyiwXoY

Analysis: Zack's younger brother is a strong prospect in his own right. Isn't quite the nasty mauler that Evan Boehm is but Martin has a strong understanding of angles, good functional strength, and excellent feet and hands. I prefer him over Boehm because Martin is excellent in pass pro. He has quick feet and hands, a solid punch, and uses his hands extremely well. He definitely has polished handwork, good punch timing, and is comfortable handling games and blitzes up-front. Will give up a bit too much ground when getting bullrushed at times (although, I said the same thing about his brother) but keep his man in front of him, keeps his hands locked on, and does a great job of extending his arms and keeping the defender locked out. The only major knock I saw is that he has a tendency to get over-aggressive in both the run and passing game and can get caught with his head over his toes at times. He also needs to do a better job of bending at the knees. But he's a polished, smart OL that can play anywhere on the interior OL and fits our hybrid power/zone scheme.
NFL Comparison: John Sullivan

Round 3 Pick #31 - KeiVarae Russell CB Notre Dame

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0l3JGQvxLc

Analysis: Russell broke his leg late in the year or else I think he'd be gone in the 2nd. He checked into the combine at 5'11" 192. What's nice about Russell is that he has the versatility to play both the slot and outside. Russell's ball-skills really improved this year as in the past he tended to lock onto his man rather than play the ball. Russell has fluid hips, quick feet, and the long speed to recover when he gambles. His speed isn't elite but it's good and will allow him to run with most NFL WRs. He's a natural cover CB with sticky man coverage skills and good recognition in zone coverage. Russell also is a physical player willing to mix it up, take on blockers, and tackle in the open-field. Russell needs to do a better job of getting off blocks and his balance isn't great which hurts him when he has to change direction quickly at times. Still, this is a kid that would be going two rounds earlier if he didn't get injured late in the year and didn't have to sit out 2014 due to "academic dishonesty." He's a really talented kid. Watch him play against Juju Smith-Schuster. He did a great job against Juju. He picked off one pass, deflected another resulting in a pick, and had tight coverage on the one big catch Juju had on him.(Juju had like 5 catches for 60ish yards against him)
NFL Comparison: Logan Ryan

Round 4 Pick #27 - Dan Vitale TE/FB Northwestern

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeKI9mm_ZZY

Analysis: I bet you the Patriots love this guy. Vitale did everything for Northwestern. He lined up in the slot at WR, he played inline TE, he lead-blocked as a FB, and he pass blocked as a HB. At 6'1" 240, Vitale isn't your traditional TE but I love him for the Jared Cook role in the Rams offense. Vitale blew up the Combine posting the best 40, vertical jump, broad jump, short shuttle, and most bench press reps of any tight end. Vitale's official 40 was a 4.60 but many had him clocked in the 4.5s. When you turn on the film, you definitely see the speed to get over the top of the defense and the quickness to separate as a route runner. Vitale also was heavily praised during Senior Bowl week for his pass protection and run blocking skills. Vitale still is developing as a receiver because he moved around so much. His route running footwork needs to become more efficient and he needs to improve his coverage recognition skills and route awareness. Those will come with time, though. However, Vitale offers outstanding athleticism, sure hands, and great run after catch skills. As a blocker, his lack of length will hurt him inline. He'll have some trouble against DLs and longer LBs. However, he's a strong, physical kid who loves to hit. He's very much a willing blocker. He can definitely improve his blocking in space as he plays a bit out of control and he needs to use his hands better while run blocking. That all said, the desire is there and the strength is there. The only down side to his strength is that his frame is just about maxed out. Still, this is a kid that you can move all around the formation with the talent to take advantages of mismatches on the field. I'll tell you this much; he does not go down easy when he gets the ball in his hands. Some team is going to end up with one heck of a move TE.
NFL Comparison: Dallas Clark

Round 5 Pick #27 - Ronald Blair DE/DT Appalachian State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQApJa7eaqg

Analysis: Some of y'all might say "who?" and I wouldn't blame you. Blair hasn't gotten a lot of press but he's a player. This kid gave Clemson absolute fits this year posting 8 tackles and 2 sacks in that game. On the year, he put up 71 tackles, 19 TFLs, and 7.5 sacks. What I loved about Blair's game when I watched him was the effort. He was running sideline to sideline to try to make tackles and jump on the pile. App. State played him all over the DL (he played every spot: RDE, UT, NT, and LDE). Blair was consistently disruptive wherever he lined up. Blair measured in at 6'2" 284 at the Combine with 34 inch arms and 10.25 inch hands. The good news is that he didn't tear up the Combine (so he's still being underrated). He has the versatility to play both DE and DT for the Rams which will help with depth purposes. On the field, Blair has active hands to shed blocks, he has a variety of moves (although he'll need to continue to develop counter-moves), and he's very strong. He plays with a low pad level and being 6'2" with long arms gives him advantages in the run game. He's a very disruptive run defender with a nose for the ball. As a pass rusher, I don't know if he has the upside to be a double digit sacker but he's a disruptive enough player that you can't underestimate him. He has a nice arm-over swim move, he's a twitchy athlete, and he has very active hands which make him a real pain for OTs in pass pro especially considering his natural leverage and long arms. I think he's a really good fit on the Rams because of his versatility, run stopping prowess, and his motor. Watching him reminds me a lot of William Hayes.
NFL Comparison: William Hayes

Round 5 Pick #31 - Alex McCalister DE Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW0erSBUzA4

Analysis: Alex is being listed as a 7th rounder/UDFA right now on some sites. I don't buy it. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes 4th round. He was kicked off of UF's team and has some character red flags/maturity issues. McCalister is also undersized at 6'6" 240 (listed) for a 4-3 DE. However, Eugene Sims was listed similarly his final year in college and we managed to get him up over 260. What makes McCalister such a great pick for me is that he was the best pass rusher on the a talented UF defense this year. McCalister has all of the tools needed to be a disruptive NFL edge rusher. He's 6'6" with long arms and an explosive get-off which allows him to threaten the edge. McCalister also can dip and bend around the corner and push the pocket using his length. He has outstanding balance for such a long defender, great agility, impressive speed, and has flashed a scary spin move. Basically, this kid is a risky prospect because he has character issues and needs to add weight and strength. But he has the tools to be a double digit sacker in the NFL. With the staff and players we have in place on defense and the DL, I think he's worth the risk for us. You don't find many guys with his talent on Day 3.
NFL Comparison: Aaron Lynch

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Tyler Boyd vs. Kenny Britt
ZWR: Anquan Boldin
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Jamon Brown
C: Tim Barnes vs. Nick Martin
RG: Cody Wichmann
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Will Hayes
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Mark Barron
MLB: Alec Ogletree
OLB: Akeem Ayers
LCB: E.J. Gaines
RCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: LaMarcus Joyner
FS: Rashad Johnson
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein vs. Ross Martin (UDFA)
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I would love this outcome.

I want Goff, but I'm really worried about the teams at the top of this draft.

Cleveland takes a QB.

But... Does a team like SF try to jump ahead of them to get the first choice? The Cowboys or Eagles could try to move up too.

If we want to go up, I doubt San Deigo will deal with us. Which makes the Cowboys, Jags, and Ravens spots everyone without a QB will be trying to get into... If someone doesn't deal with Tennessee first.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only thing disappointing about this draft is that I can't find a thing to disagree with.
Big fan of Russell and btw he was cleared on the academic thing
Great job man.
I guess you're relying on Cleveland taking Wentz?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only thing disappointing about this draft is that I can't find a thing to disagree with.
Big fan of Russell and btw he was cleared on the academic thing
Great job man.
I guess you're relying on Cleveland taking Wentz?

Yep. Possibly trading for Kaepernick and taking a QB later. I think Hue tends to prefer veterans. It's possible they take Wentz and develop him behind Kaepernick, though.

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't know that about Russell. Just knew he missed all of 2014 for that reason. Really like his tape.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Strike the Saffold cut. His base salary became guaranteed at midnight.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love it and it fits with the Snisher MO. Like all the picks and especially the trading up then back to rebuild some picks. I'd be a happy fan with this.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would love this outcome.

I want Goff, but I'm really worried about the teams at the top of this draft.

Cleveland takes a QB.

But... Does a team like SF try to jump ahead of them to get the first choice? The Cowboys or Eagles could try to move up too.

If we want to go up, I doubt San Deigo will deal with us. Which makes the Cowboys, Jags, and Ravens spots everyone without a QB will be trying to get into... If someone doesn't deal with Tennessee first.
I'm with you, CGI, I fear what the Cowboys are going to do! And the Eagles have plenty of ' firer power to move up in the draft if they want to! I don't think moving up to #6 will cut it IF we are trying to get one of the TOP QB's!!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm coming around on Goff. That said, the price will likely be about what we got in the RG3 trade.

If the FA period illustrated anything, it's that there aren't enough QBs to go around.

Trading into the top 3 will be ridiculously expensive. If anyone thinks Goff slides to 6 while Jaylen Ramsey and Joey Bosa get picked... Um, I'd bet ROD dollars against that. Wentz and Goff are going in the top 3.

Btw, the post made recently about the success of recent QBs and where they were drafted saying that scouting was getting better and college was offering less may have offered the FIRST argument for throwing a season. I mean, if the Rams are at 4-12 (that would place them at #3 or do o have it backwards?) the cost to trade with Tennessee isn't nearly what it would be from 15. Every other position can be dealt with, but QB has to be taken increasingly in the first round and more and more early first if you aspire to success in the playoffs.

With the cost for trading up for QBs who can generate wins (maybe) being prohibitive, I can see in the future teams with a D and no QB tanking because is it really a choice? Give away your future for a chance at a QB or have no future at all when you can lose a few games and have both.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is the type of outcome I am still holding out hope for. Nice job brother.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the FA period illustrated anything, it's that there aren't enough QBs to go around.
It also illustrates that teams heavily desire and will overspend on outside pass rushers, which this draft also has an abundance of.
Goff could be there at 6

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
In a draft where there's no consensus on who's the top DE, but there IS a consensus that there's only two top QBs and no one's even sure if any of the remaining QBs are ever going to be better than backup QBs...

yeah, I'll take the bet that Goff doesn't slip to 6.

If you're a GM that lets Goff get to 6 and you lose him because you didn't trade up to to get him... you not only deserve to be fired, but deserve to have to scrounge for regional cable jobs for the rest of your life....

All this presumes we don't see a blockbuster trade for Wentz at #1 and Goff at #2 which is entirely possible.

I mean I like Bosa and Ramsey, but are they THAT much better than JJ Watt?

Because Watt's a damned defensive beast and league MVP level player and his TEAM stinks on ice... without a QB.

Which is why teams are really going to have to weigh the price of moving up... and in a draft where it's deep on the defense, if the Titans aren't too greedy and they draft well, they can reap a substantial harvest. That said, it only takes ONE team to overpay (and we don't have the Raiders or Washington to make it easy).

One of the QBs could be there at 6. The likelihood of that is beyond remote.

I mean... MATT SCHAUB got signed, man. Matt Schaub. And you think teams are gonna still think defense with one of the actual QBs who can be starters in this league on the board???

My only question is why Matt Hasselback hasn't gotten a call from Denver. I mean he only won a bunch of games for Indy and he's a better QB than Sanchez...

Oh well. Every year the draft seems to give us at least one WTH??? kind of situation... and then have to wait MONTHS for it to play out. Ugh.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm coming around on Goff. That said, the price will likely be about what we got in the RG3 trade.

It also gave teams the ability to fill their slots. Which teams are still in on the QB chase? We have for sure:
Cleveland
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Denver

We have maybes in:
Dallas
Philadelphia

But I think both Dallas and Philly are out. Philly is paying $25 million a year to Daniel and Bradford.

And if San Francisco trades Kaepernick, Cleveland might be out as well.

Trading into the top 3 will be ridiculously expensive. If anyone thinks Goff slides to 6 while Jaylen Ramsey and Joey Bosa get picked... Um, I'd bet ROD dollars against that. Wentz and Goff are going in the top 3.

I'll bet ROD dollars against that. I wouldn't be surprised if Goff falls further than expected.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Throw in next years 1st and getting closer to Goff.

Meh, if I had to. But giving up another first is a lot. Right now, I'm not in fear of Dallas taking him at #4 or Philly jumping up over Baltimore.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Like this speculative draft a lot
Not a big fan if the title of the draft cause I'm one of the few people it seems to think we have done a great job in free agency - spending were we have to and showing ultimate restraint where it matters most - just kinda throws me off - but I'm grown up enough to get it and I love all the picks

Of course I'm a big fan of McCalister like you and hope that dream happens but like all my other favorite prospects over the years he'll end up a Saint :LOL:

You've sold me on the idea of getting a QB no matter what the risk is imperative to the future of this franchise - they must at least perform as if they perceivably want to put it all together and win

I won't stand for Sackenburg or Stave

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It also illustrates that teams heavily desire and will overspend on outside pass rushers, which this draft also has an abundance of.
Goff could be there at 6

Not from where I sit. This is a weak DE class.

@jrry32 solid draft. Not spectacular but when trading up is required it is bound to have a trickle down affect. I'd take it, but would look to go all the way to one if at all possible. If your gonna take the plunge, go in with two feet.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Meh, if I had to. But giving up another first is a lot. Right now, I'm not in fear of Dallas taking him at #4 or Philly jumping up over Baltimore.
It's more about the Ravens draft board at that point.
Looks like they're going to get the fifth position player where they are now. If Newsome's guy is there and he feels the player is going to be elite the Rams gonna have to pay a cover charge. That one player might be worth more than an a drop down out of elite level even the with the bonus 2nd and 3rd.

If his guys are gone he would be much easier to deal with.

Browns might be better target.