Jrry32 Post Combine Mock - 3/1/2013

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alright guys, the combine has come and go. Overreaction season has arrived. I believe Lane Johnson will be gone before #16. Here's my mock off-season with that in mind after the Combine:

Cuts
Steven Jackson(Void) - 7 million saved
Wayne Hunter - 4 million saved
Quintin Mikell - 3 million saved
Cap Space - 14 million

Re-Signings
William Hayes - 2 years 3 million(1.5 million cap hit)
Robert Turner - 2 years 2 million(1 million cap hit)
Cap Space: 11.5 million

Free Agency
20130102__VikingsLoadholt.jpg

Phil Loadholt RT
Projected Contract: 5 years/30 million, 5 million SB, 14 million guaranteed(first two base salaries + Signing Bonus) - 5 million cap hit
Cap Space: 6.5 million

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #16 - Chance Warmack LG Alabama
151589073.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Explanation: I think he falls this far after a pedestrian combine. Plug and play LG that along with Loadholt would give us quite the OL.

Round 1 Pick #22 - Tavon Austin WR/HB/KR/PR West Virginia
tavon-austin.jpg

Explanation: Explosive playmaker with unbelievable movement skills and a 4.25 speed. Can line up anywhere on offense or special teams and make plays.

Round 2 Pick #16 - Bacarri Rambo FS Georgia
Bacarri-Rambo.jpg

Explanation: We need a playmaker at safety and Rambo offers that. He's like OJ in that he'll give up some plays going for the big play but he will force turnovers and he can make plays in coverage unlike Dahl.

Round 3 Pick #16 - DJ Swearinger SS South Carolina
512x.jpg

Explanation: Might as well just shore up the safety position for good. Rambo offers us the playmaking FS, Swearinger offers us the intimidator at SS. He will hit and he will hit hard but he also offers good cover skills and the ability to make tackles in space.

Round 4 Pick #16 - Chris Harper WR Kansas State
u1TgT.SlMa.80.jpeg

Explanation: In a draft stocked with WRs, Harper might just be the most underrated. He lacks flashy numbers mainly because of the system and QB he played with. Harper is a former QB who looks like a HB at 6'1" 230. However, he has extremely strong hands, understands how to use his body, is arguably the best in the draft at making catches in traffic and is extremely quick and fluid for his size. He has a lot of similarities to guy by the name of Boldin.

Round 5 Pick #16 - Michael Williams TE Alabama
Defenses-dominate-LSU-Alabama-showdown-F9IFP78-x-large.jpg

Explanation: Great blocker and a solid receiver. Ideal pick for a #2 TE in our scheme.

Round 6 Pick #16 - Dennis Johnson HB Arkansas
johnson.jpg

Explanation: Johnson is possibly the most overlooked HB in this draft. At 5'8" 212, Johnson is a short, compact runner with some shiftiness, good speed and great balance. He runs hard and is very hard to take down.

Round 7 Pick #16 - Greg Reid CB/PR Florida State
0904gregreidB.jpg

Explanation: There are a lot of directions we could go here. Reid is a possible one. Why not? Potentially talented returnman who could end up being a good slot CB. Take a shot on a character risk coming off an injury but his talent can't be denied.

Projected Starting Line-up:
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Daryl Richardson
FB/TE: Lance Kendricks
SE: Brian Quick vs. Chris Harper vs. Austin Pettis
FL: Chris Givens
SL: Tavon Austin
TE: Michael Williams
LT: Rodger Saffold
LG: Chance Warmack
C: Scott Wells
RG: Harvey Dahl
RT: Phil Loadholt

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Cheap FA/UDFA/Sammy Brown
CB1: Cortland Finnegan
CB2: Janoris Jenkins
CB3: Trumaine Johnson
FS: Bacarri Rambo
SS: DJ Swearinger

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: John Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Tavon Austin vs. Greg Reid
PR: Greg Reid vs. Tavon Austin

Thoughts?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Well...I could live with that team. I honestly don't believe there's that much of a chance that Warmack falls to the Rams unless we get some luck...like a QB rising into the top 15 or a surprise player being taken. Loadholt would definitely be an upgrade at RT, but I'm not sure I would be willing to give him that much money. I also don't believe that Hayes will sign that cheaply, someone will throw some money at him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
brokeu91 said:
Well...I could live with that team. I honestly don't believe there's that much of a chance that Warmack falls to the Rams unless we get some luck...like a QB rising into the top 15 or a surprise player being taken. Loadholt would definitely be an upgrade at RT, but I'm not sure I would be willing to give him that much money. I also don't believe that Hayes will sign that cheaply, someone will throw some money at him.

That's the going rate for a good RT. Warmack is an OG...that alone give us a chance. The pedestrian combine along with questions of his fit in ZBS schemes makes me believe there's a very solid chance that he's on the board at #16.

As for Hayes, I'm not really concerned about it. If he goes, he goes. But I don't know if I buy that he's going to get this big pay day right now. We'll see.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Jrry, if Johnson is there at 16 would you still going with Warmack? Assuming Loadholt is not signed by the Rams.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[mp3]http://www.moviewavs.com/0039257685/MP3S/Movies/Fargo/debateu.mp3[/mp3]

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I <3 this mock. Really...I do.

jap

Legend
This mock clearly depends on a number of "if's," as they usually do, but there are possibilities. Guard is not a glamour position, and I am hoping too that Chance slips as teams get caught up in making runs at the glamour spots while Fish & Snider quietly build a staunch Rams fortress. With an OL guru like Coach Bou aboard the U.S.S. Rams mothership, you can select more rough prospects (read that: later round OL picks) and depend on the OL master to tune their games. Besides, we already have a number of young OL guys from last season who may demonstrate a substantial jump from the 2012 performances.

I would love to have them grab Tavon regardless of whether Danny-A goes or stays. The turbo charge to our return & receiving games practically demands it. Personally, I can see someone throwing money at Danny if only because of his stunning resemblance to his Patriots clone. While others may get excited over some of the speedy receivers with inconsistent hands, I prefer that we target solid route runners (e.g., Chris Givens last draft) with 'natural' hands. I wouldn't mind another TE who can block and has hands to help make that position a viable offensive threat again.

We definitely have to shore up the safety spots, and, after seasons of the man named Dahl, you gotta figure that ex-NFL DB's Fish and Chuck Cecil want to do for the safety crew this draft what they did for the CB pool last season. Adding an OLB or developing one of our existing young LB's would help to round things out.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Nice job Jrry32, really. I could definitely live with this feasible outcome.

I just don't see Loadholt leaving the Vikes same goes for Bengals RT Andre Smith.

However I liked reading thru this and I hope many others would agree.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Maybe sub Warmack out with... :wink:
zu8a7u6a.jpg
aqagy6u5.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Nice mock. I think you could switch Rambo and Swearinger's spots (because of Rambo's numerous character issues and because Swearinger's stock has been rising), and I think we needed an outside linebacker more than a slot cornerback/returner, especially with Tavon Austin being drafted at #22, but all in all, I like the prospects you picked.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Nice job!

Any draft that lands Warmack AND Austin is a success in my book!

I'm not sure about going so late for the TE. And... Williams is better known for blocking than receiving.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't like the idea of 2 rookie safteies, especially w/ Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson going into just year 2.

I'd hope if possible to redo Quintin's contract instead of flat out cut him.

I also don't think Chance Warmack will be available, but who knows. It's possible and I wouldn't mind taking him (actually I had him in mine too).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
X said:
[mp3]http://www.moviewavs.com/0039257685/MP3S/Movies/Fargo/debateu.mp3[/mp3]
:lmao: Well played.

I like this mock Jrry. I'm really on the Rams-must-find-a-way-to-draft-Tavon Austin-bandwagon.
I also like the safety overhaul approach. It worked well with our corners last season.

I also like the idea of trying to bring in a quality,experienced FA lineman,while also drafting one in the 1st rd.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Memento said:
Nice mock. I think you could switch Rambo and Swearinger's spots (because of Rambo's numerous character issues and because Swearinger's stock has been rising), and I think we needed an outside linebacker more than a slot cornerback/returner, especially with Tavon Austin being drafted at #22, but all in all, I like the prospects you picked.

It's the 7th, I'm just looking to get a talented player with upside there.

CGI_Ram said:
Nice job!

Any draft that lands Warmack AND Austin is a success in my book!

I'm not sure about going so late for the TE. And... Williams is better known for blocking than receiving.

I think if you look at the TEs that Schotty played last year behind Kendricks, it makes more sense to me that a guy like Michael Williams will be preferred. He seems to like the #2 TE being a strong blocking presence.

moklerman

Warner-phile
If you call this one right with those two first round picks you'll be a genius. I don't see either of them falling that far.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I just don't see Warmack falling and feel very strongly he ends up with the Titans at 10 with former OL and now Head Coach Mike Munchak. Love Mike Williams as the 2nd TE and Dennis Johnson would be Alfred Morris 2.0!

jap

Legend
den-the-coach said:
I just don't see Warmack falling and feel very strongly he ends up with the Titans at 10 with former OL and now Head Coach Mike Munchak. Love Mike Williams as the 2nd TE and Dennis Johnson would be Alfred Morris 2.0!

You might have a point there. Munchak isn't about to miss any OL blue-chippers, unless the Titans have a more pressing concern.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jap said:
den-the-coach said:

You might have a point there. Munchak isn't about to miss any OL blue-chippers, unless the Titans have a more pressing concern.

They need a pass rusher badly. I'd expect them to be more likely to take a DE or DT than an OG.