Jrry32 No Trade Down Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
He's also a QB that has helped his team reach the playoffs in each of the last four years. Dalton on the Rams would be Dalton. Which is a below average starting QB.

Dalton is not Grayson's ceiling though. Ceilings are hard to determine for QBs but imo, Grayson's ceiling is Kurt Warner. Dalton is Grayson's realistic expectation imo.

As far as Garoppolo goes, yes, he had a quick release. He was also coming from a spread offense and had very questionable pocket presence. I prefer Grayson to Garoppolo as a prospect.

I feel like people are overvaluing physical talent for QBs. If that position has proved anything, it's that physical talent is the least important of the four components.

I'm not touching the Warner ceiling compare. If you think he is Warner then draft him 1st lol.

To me a below average starting QB is equal to a good back up.

When it comes to Grayson I love the kids guts. Outside of that he has no elite skills. He hangs on to the ball too long sometimes and decision making is good but he has no elite skill set. Nothing to do with his physical talent which for the record is also average. To say he is a better prospect then Garoppolo is a reach IMO. He has an elite release. That translates in every offense. He was also a better decision maker. I don't think there is one atrrbute in which Grayson is better.

I completely agree physical talent is the least important. Grayson will stick around for years because of his guts and desire to compete. I just feel he is a good back up at the next level. I stand by my 4th round grade because I would use a 4th on a good back up QB.

I agree with most of what you say, I just don't agree with the 2nd round and him better than Jimmy G ;)

Athos

Legend
Dalton is not Grayson's ceiling though. Ceilings are hard to determine for QBs but imo, Grayson's ceiling is Kurt Warner. Dalton is Grayson's realistic expectation imo.

His ceiling is a guy who has at least a half a shoe in the NFL HOF and has some of the greatest postseasons stats of QBs? I dunno about that. Warner had a very quick release with elite level accuracy running a complex offensive system. I just don't buy that. I don't fault you for liking Grayson, but like with Hundley, you may be trying to convince yourself of something that isn't there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
His ceiling is a guy who has at least a half a shoe in the NFL HOF and has some of the greatest postseasons stats of QBs? I dunno about that. Warner had a very quick release with elite level accuracy running a complex offensive system. I just don't buy that. I don't fault you for liking Grayson, but like with Hundley, you may be trying to convince yourself of something that isn't there.

Warner was similarly sized with nothing special arm strength and mobility. Why was Warner great? Ball placement, pocket presence and poise under pressure, mental processing speed, touch, ability to throw with anticipation, etc.

These are all traits that have nothing to do with physical talent. All traits where Grayson shows well or has flashed at minimum.

And I don't appreciate the last sentence. You don't need to agree with me but don't marginalize my opinion.

I'm not touching the Warner ceiling compare. If you think he is Warner then draft him 1st lol.

That's his ceiling. Which means if he meets his full potential.

To me a below average starting QB is equal to a good back up.

I don't really see it that way. A starting caliber QB is a starting caliber QB. Are there a few starting caliber QBs that are currently backups? Yes. But there are 3-5 AT MOST. And I'm not sold that all of those guys would be below average starters. So the best backups...maybe. But a good backup? Not to me.

When it comes to Grayson I love the kids guts. Outside of that he has no elite skills. He hangs on to the ball too long sometimes and decision making is good but he has no elite skill set. Nothing to do with his physical talent which for the record is also average. To say he is a better prospect then Garoppolo is a reach IMO. He has an elite release. That translates in every offense. He was also a better decision maker. I don't think there is one atrrbute in which Grayson is better.

Grayson's pocket presence, movement, and poise are far better than Garoppolo's. Grayson's ball placement is every bit as good if not better imo. Grayson is more polished mechanically and more polished mentally.

I completely agree physical talent is the least important. Grayson will stick around for years because of his guts and desire to compete. I just feel he is a good back up at the next level. I stand by my 4th round grade because I would use a 4th on a good back up QB.

I agree with most of what you say, I just don't agree with the 2nd round and him better than Jimmy G ;)

Fair enough. I wasn't a Garoppolo fan...almost entirely because I saw things like this on film:
30t3n8z.jpg

Seeing that scares the bejeezus out of me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If we take a QB; I'm in the Grayson camp.

I like the mock. (y)

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
I don't mind the Grayson pick, I've seen enough of him to feel confident in his ability, he has good pocket presence and a better arm than given credit for.

Not a fan of the Harrison pick though, you said so yourself that he is lazy, I don't want that on my football team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't mind the Grayson pick, I've seen enough of him to feel confident in his ability, he has good pocket presence and a better arm than given credit for.

Not a fan of the Harrison pick though, you said so yourself that he is lazy, I don't want that on my football team.

Can't blame you on that. It's a tough call. I was willing to take the risk because it's the 4th but I don't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with that. If he pans out, he's a dominant OG that can play OT competently in the pinch but you also risk having to deal with a lazy problem child that won't keep his weight in check.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Can't blame you on that. It's a tough call. I was willing to take the risk because it's the 4th but I don't blame anyone for not wanting to deal with that. If he pans out, he's a dominant OG that can play OT competently in the pinch but you also risk having to deal with a lazy problem child that won't keep his weight in check.

I guess I wouldn't hate it, I'd dislike sure, but in this draft...when the talent really dies after the 2nd day, I am more open to taking chances on guys.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
@jrry32 i know these mocks take time and effort and I have a ton of respect for everyone who does them. Big picture is we have a 2 round disagreement on a QB which is in today's age a difficult position to project.

I still think your a little off your rocker if you think Grayson is better than Jimmy G, or course Garoppolo was my binky pick last year lol and I actually have a rocker on my front porch which I am rocking in now lol.

Although I disagree on Grayson thanks for doing this, I enjoy reading them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 i know these mocks take time and effort and I have a ton of respect for everyone who does them. Big picture is we have a 2 round disagreement on a QB which is in today's age a difficult position to project.

I still think your a little off your rocker if you think Grayson is better than Jimmy G, or course Garoppolo was my binky pick last year lol and I actually have a rocker on my front porch which I am rocking in now lol.

Although I disagree on Grayson thanks for doing this, I enjoy reading them.

I don't have a rocker to get off of. You might be thinking of @Alan ;)

Athos

Legend
And I don't appreciate the last sentence. You don't need to agree with me but don't marginalize my opinion.

No need to take it personally man. I was drawing a conclusion, because, like you, I started convincing myself Hundley should be the guy because at that point, the Rams were QB desperate. I was just wondering if you weren't falling in love for another flawed guy because of the still relatively unknown factor with Foles.

Seeing that scares the bejeezus out of me.

I dunno. I've seen some name QBs do that stupid shit in the NFL before. I was a Garoppolo honk last year too, mainly because of hammer's write-ups and liking of him. And when the Patriots love a certain prospect because, no matter how much of an evil empire they are, they seem to pull talent out of their asses like clockwork.

Grayon's delivery just seems to bother me. It looks like a side-arm a lot of the time and drops down. Don't like it. And when I see his highlights, I see a lot of Davis too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No need to take it personally man. I was drawing a conclusion, because, like you, I started convincing myself Hundley should be the guy because at that point, the Rams were QB desperate. I was just wondering if you weren't falling in love for another flawed guy because of the still relatively unknown factor with Foles.

It's a different thing to say it about yourself. I've said it before about this class (especially on Hundley) but it's not true in this case. On review, I saw things that really changed my mind. And then I spaced things out again and watched a couple more games just to make sure. I really like this kid. He's not perfect but the things he does the best are the things that matter the most. I'll put my neck out for him.

Hundley is in the opposite direction. I can certainly see the talent and potential but he's much the opposite of Grayson. If you combined Hundley's physical talent with Grayson's instincts, mental acuity, and ball placement...you'd have yourself quite the prospect haha.

I dunno. I've seen some name QBs do that stupid crap in the NFL before. I was a Garoppolo honk last year too, mainly because of hammer's write-ups and liking of him. And when the Patriots love a certain prospect because, no matter how much of an evil empire they are, they seem to pull talent out of their asses like clockwork.

It bothers me when I see it in college. It's one thing if you feel the pressure and try to protect yourself. It's another if the pressure isn't actually there yet.

Grayon's delivery just seems to bother me. It looks like a side-arm a lot of the time and drops down. Don't like it. And when I see his highlights, I see a lot of Davis too.

You just gotta accept a delivery for what it is. In the end, it's more about how quick he gets it out than how pretty it is.

I don't see Davis at all. Shane Carden is the guy that reminds me of Davis.

It's odd but the three names that come to mind with Grayson for me are Andy Dalton(realistic expectation), Marc Bulger(realistic ceiling), and Kurt Warner(hard ceiling). I just love accurate QBs with a great feel for the pocket.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I like the make up of this draft and pray the Rams do simular. I'd be okay with Grayson with the 64th pick, my guess is no less than 4 QB's would have already been selected. (I'd be okay with Mannion too)

Just not sure about the 1st pick, little too risky for me, not sure Snisher will pull that trigger.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the make up of this draft and pray the Rams do simular. I'd be okay with Grayson with the 64th pick, my guess is no less than 4 QB's would have already been selected. (I'd be okay with Mannion too)

Just not sure about the 1st pick, little too risky for me, not sure Snisher will pull that trigger.

They may not but he's my top rated OL. His physical talent is off the charts and he's come a long way technically over the past couple years. Just a kid who needs coaching and time to become a dominant NFL OL.

paceram

Pro Bowler
From a talent perspective I would give the edge to Dawson by a pretty good margin. If you could merge the 2 you have the perfect LB. Kendricks has the intangibles and Dawson has the talent. Kendricks has a lot of JL in him, very productive but leaves some underwhelmed. I wish Kendricks was a little more explosive especially when you consider his size. Does not make a lot of plays for loss or even no gain. Lots of his plays are made after a 4 yard gain.

I like Kendricks and his attitude and think he will be a productive player.

I still like Shaq Thompson better than them both.

Thanks for the information! I wouldn't be too upset if the Rams selected Dawson or Kendricks in the 2nd round IF they have already chosen an offensive lineman with their top pick! I definitely think they have to pick an offensive lineman with one of their top two picks!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Great draft. Would rather have a thumper MLB instead of a QB, but this is a solid draft and would set us up for years on the OL front.

I'm back on the @jrry32 for GM bandwagon!