Jrry32 No Trade Down Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This one is for you, Memphis. ;) I followed your mock which is linked below for player availability in the first 3 rounds:
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/memphisram-3-round-mock-draft-1-0.36309/

I am going to pretend that the Rams did not sign (or re-sign) any FAs prior to the draft.(as disappointed as I would be if that happened)

Trade
St. Louis Rams trade Round 3 Pick #8 and 2016 4th Round Pick
New England Patriots trade Round 2 Pick #32

I did include one trade, Memphis, but since we're trading up and not gaining picks, I figured it was fair game.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #10 - T.J. Clemmings OT Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chPpSi723eM

Analysis: This may not be the most popular pick because people are worried about his perceived rawness but that won't stop me from drafting the highest rated guy on my board. The draft is about more than just 2015. Yes, Clemmings will have some rookies moments if asked to start at RT but he also has the ability to develop into one of the best OTs in the NFL.(not just RT...either side) He's easily the most athletically gifted OT in this class boasting quick feet, great balance, smooth, fluid and graceful movement skills, and arguably the best power of any OT in this class. Clemmings is already a dominating run blocker despite still having some technical flaws to clean up in that department.

As a pass blocker, Clemmings is raw but insanely talented. He has the range and movement skills to handle any type of rusher but needs to learn to trust his feet and technique as he climbs deeper into the back-field. Clemmings also needs to not involve his head in his punch as it leaves him vulnerable to arm over swim moves and adversely affects his balance. Additionally, Clemmings needs to work on his footwork while sliding and his punch placement especially on counter moves to the inside. That all said, Clemmings has come a long way as a player and should continue to develop with even better coaching at the next level. As long as he doesn't lose confidence, he has the ability to be as good as he wants to be as a pass blocker...he just needs time, coaching, and experience.

Round 2 Pick #9 - A.J. Cann OG/C South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwRR2-tr_w

Analysis: A.J. Cann is the best pure OG in this class but actually got a lot of work at Center at his Pro Day and was recruited out of high school as a Center. He would be an interesting developmental prospect at Center for down the line that can contribute immediately as a rookie at OG. As a LG, Cann is a brutish run blocker combining sound footwork with great power and leverage. He's explosive out of his stance, consistently the low man, and drives his feet through contact. Cann has a mean streak and looks to bury guys in the run game. He'd immediately bolster our run game and his experience in South Carolina's zone blocking scheme will help him at the next level because it bolstered his understanding of angles and positions and gave him a lot of experience blocking on the move.

As a pass protector, Cann has a few technical issues to clean up but should be able to hold his own until they're cleaned up. Cann has the natural mirroring ability, anchor, power, and athleticism to develop into a very good pass protecting LG. He needs to improve his punch and hand placement in the passing game. His punch can be a bit weak because he doesn't time it right and he has a tendency to allow his punches to land outside the chest-plate. Cann also needs to do a better job of sitting back in his stance as he'll get caught leaning at times but his bend is not at all an issue so that should be something that will be easy to clean up. Cann also needs to do a better job of redirecting vs. quicker DTs especially on swim moves as he will sometimes stop moving his feet when getting spun on by a quick DT. Regardless, Cann's technical issues are very fixable and nothing overly worrisome at this stage.

Round 2 Pick #32 - Garrett Grayson QB Colorado State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fwhKKXII_g

Analysis: The Rams see Bryce Petty go off the board a few picks ahead of Grayson and decide that they want to get in front of the teams picking at the beginning of Round 3 to make sure they can land their guy. Garrett Grayson does not have outstanding physical tools but he makes up for his average physical talent with great instincts, sound mechanics, and consistent ball placement. Grayson's arm strength is middle of the pack and would likely be considered below average for a current NFL starter but it is adequate for the next level. Due to his polished footwork, he gets good zip on the majority of throws. Some of the deeper throws to the sideline can be tough for him. However, him and Nick Foles both are similar in terms of arm strength so Grayson's arm is more than enough. Grayson really shines in ball placement. His polished footwork, throwing base, and upper body mechanics allow him to throw a very consistent ball. He is coming from a pro style offense so he's used to throwing pro style routes and locates the football well especially on deep routes. Grayson also shows nice touch on the ball although he needs to do a better job of lofting it when trying to get over the LOS without a throwing lane as he had some issues in college with batted passes. Grayson also had a slight hitch in the back side of his throwing motion but has reportedly been working this off-season to clean that up.

Grayson's poise under pressure, pocket presence, and pocket movement are some of the most impressive parts of his game. Grayson feels pressure and understands how to slide in the pocket to find and create space while still keeping his eyes down-field. Grayson also understands when to take a sack and protect the football. His OL was inconsistent so he dealt with quite a bit of pressure and has a lot of experience standing tall and making accurate throws with the knowledge that he's about to get hit. He's a very tough kid (played through an ankle injury during the season despite it visibly hobbling him in some games...and played well). Grayson also has flashed NFL caliber anticipation (seen him start his motion on quite a few NFL out routes before the WR has even began gearing down to make his break) although he needs to be more consistent with it, his timing, and his internal clock. Will throw late at times or hold onto the ball too long at times but this should improve with experience and coaching at the next level. Grayson has shown the ability to work through NFL style route combinations and progressions. He will hit the checkdown when nothing is there or throw it away when necessary. He's a good decision maker that protects the ball. He needs to be more deceptive with his eyes as he will lock onto targets at times. Grayson also needs to be more consistent with his timing in moving through progressions. His mental processing speed looks great at times and at other times, he's slow to come off his first read. But again, these are things that typically improve in the NFL. I like Grayson a lot as a prospect. I think he's got the ability to develop into a starter for a team at the next level.

Round 4 Pick #20 - Jarvis Harrison OG/OT Texas A&M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlqJS2BVwxI

Analysis: Jarvis Harrison really has no business being around this late in the draft. It's likely that a lot of you don't really know much about Harrison. Here's some interesting info on Harrison...at the Combine, Harrison bested La'el Collins in the 10 yard dash(1.77 vs. 1.87), in the vertical jump(29.5 inches vs. 27 inches), in the short shuttle(4.62 vs. 4.63), and the 3 cone drill(7.51 vs. 7.70). Collins only bested Harrison in the broad jump(9 feet vs. 8.5 feet). Now here's the kicker...Harrison did all that at 330 pounds...that's 25 pounds heavier than Collins. Jarvis Harrison is a 6'4" 330 pound OG with the athleticism and feet of a NFL OT(arguably a NFL LT). He also has enough length to play LT or RT when needed(6'4" with 33.5 inch arms). Harrison's pass protection skills are incredibly impressive despite a few technical flaws in his punch timing and hand placement. His ability to sustain blocks in pass protection is incredible. This is a kid that has experience at LG, RG, and RT. Hell, he even slid out to LT this year against Missouri and Auburn and showed the foot speed to handle the LT spot. So why is Harrison still around in the 4th round?

There are a couple big reasons why. The first one is that there are some major concerns about Harrison's ability to keep his weight in check. He was suspended for the first two games in 2014 due to "conditioning" problems. He's a guy that the team that drafts him is going to have to keep a close eye on. On top of that, Harrison lacks a mean streak and plays with far too much finesse as well as a highly inconsistent motor. He definitely looks like a lazy player on the field at times. He's a guy that you're going to have to light a fire under him. As a run blocker, Harrison just looks to block his man and sustain the block rather than dominate him. He doesn't drive him off the LOS or out of the hole like a man with his power and size should. He also doesn't look to bury or finish his man. He's an effective enough run blocker but he should be dominant with his size, strength, and athleticism. That all said, Harrison is the most physically gifted OG in this class and if he actually had his head screwed on right, he'd be a first round pick. I think it's worth taking the risk here in the fourth round on a guy with his sort of upside. I hope that Fisher and Boudreau will be able to motivate him and the Rams will find a way to help him keep his weight under control. Because if that happens, you have a kid that can be a dominant OG and a swing OT. In fact, Harrison kind of reminds me of Shawn Andrews. Hopefully, we can keep Harrison's head screwed on for longer than Andrews's because Andrews was an elite player until he fell apart mentally and physically after his fourth year.

Round 6 Pick #40 - DeAndre Smelter WR Georgia Tech

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjlTPD4BHQo

Analysis: I'm not buying that he'll be here. I still think that someone will recognize his talent and scoop him up in the 4th or 5th round but he's ranked lowly on the draft sites and I just want a reason to toss him in this draft. As I've said before many times, this is a kid with outstanding physical talent and the type of attitude I love in big WRs(aggressive bully). He's 6'2" 225 with speed to stretch the defenses deep, the strength to break tackles after the catch, and the quickness to make people miss as well as make hard cuts on his routes. He's raw and tore his ACL late in 2014 but if he were healthy, I think he'd have put himself in contention for a first round pick at the Combine. He's that talented imo.

Round 7 Pick #32 - Donald Celiscar CB/S Western Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTJAbl2cbRM

Analysis: Another player that I think quite highly of and that I think will likely be off the board this point in the draft but again, the draft sites have him rated in this area. Celiscar is a physical CB that is not afraid to come up in run support. His lack of long speed has some believing he should move to safety due to the aforementioned physicality and run support. I think he'd be a great safety but I also think he's capable of playing CB in the NFL. Likely in the slot. I love his instincts, feet, and hip fluidity. He anticipates routes well and gets a great break on the ball. He's a very aggressive kid that sticks to his man like glue. Faster WRs can get behind him deep but he's feisty and will make them absolutely earn it. The big thing I loved seeing while watching him is that he brought his "A" game when playing more talented teams and really stood out. Also, Celiscar is a former WR and plays like it. He has great ball-skills and is very comfortable playing the ball even with his back to it.

Starting Line-up
QB: Nick Foles
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: A.J. Cann
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: T.J. Clemmings

LDE: Chris Long
NT: Michael Brockers
UT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: E.J. Gaines
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: Trumaine Johnson (Gaines moves into the slot when all three are on the field)
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Benny Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

I realize all the rookie starters (as well as young players on top of that in Greg Robinson and Barrett Jones) isn't ideal but I am working within the constraints I set out. If it were my choice, I'd like to go into the draft with AT LEAST one of Joe Barksdale and Justin Blalock but I wanted to do a mock with no trades and without signing either one since that's the situation we're CURRENTLY in.(hoping it will change soon)

P.S. for all of those worried about the WR corp...2016 looks like it'll have a nice group as well so if we have to wait until next year...don't fret. Tyler Boyd (#23) from Pittsburgh is going to be a great prospect...kid is nasty. And you got guys like LaQuon Treadwell(Ole Miss), Rashard Higgins(Colorado State), Duke Williams(Auburn), and Mike Williams(Clemson). It's also going to be a talented class.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I like it except for Grayson. It still feels like a reach, I just don't see 2nd round talent there and nothing more than a career back up.

Like the rest if available. I would say this though, I would take Smelter as high as the 3rd and most certainly the 4th but I know a lot of us had Gaines last year as a 3rd or 4th and he fell to the 6th so anything is possible.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like it except for Grayson. It still feels like a reach, I just don't see 2nd round talent there and nothing more than a career back up.

Like the rest if available. I would say this though, I would take Smelter as high as the 3rd and most certainly the 4th but I know a lot of us had Gaines last year as a 3rd or 4th and he fell to the 6th so anything is possible.

Fisher must look hard as jrry32 suggests here. All of Fisher's signed QB's will enter Free Agency in less than one yr. Due to the current situation Fisher may be forced into going earlier that projected for a QB like Grayson. Its a serious state to be in @ QB.

I am fine with this mock myself.

Athos

Legend
No matter how many mocks you have, in w/e combinations, I'm going to loathe the Garrett Grayson pick every time.

He's about a 4th round QB at best in a less shitty QB draft. I'm going to hate overdrafts each and every time.

I would rather take the best LB or CB at our slot instead.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Fisher must look hard as jrry32 suggests here. All of Fisher's signed QB's will enter Free Agency in less than one yr. Due to the current situation Fisher may be forced into going earlier that projected for a QB like Grayson. Its a serious state to be in @ QB.

That's where I disagree. He should not have to force a decision like that. They made a deal for Foles because they saw something. You ride it out with him till next year when there is projected to be better QB's if at that time you think you need to replace Foles. I don't want to waste a 2nd on a 4th round talent because of need or in this case perceived need since.

Athos

Legend
That's where I disagree. He should not have to force a decision like that. They made a deal for Foles because they saw something. You ride it out with him till next year when there is projected to be better QB's if at that time you think you need to replace Foles. I don't want to waste a 2nd on a 4th round talent because of need or in this case perceived need since.

We're defo on the same page. This team just can't afford to waste premium picks on average to mediocre talent just because no QBs are signed for the future. This team still needs an influx of talent in the NOW. You live and die with Foles this season. Grayson won't be ready this season. Probably not next season. And I don't believe he ever will be ready as a starter. Next year will have a better class. I'd rather trade that 2nd and maybe a 4th to move up again for a high impact player.

Or get a guy who can spell JL55. Or have a CB since we're unlikely to retain both Jenks and Tru J.

Snisher missed their shot at a QB last year. No reason to compound the issue by blowing your wad on Grayson to make up for it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Sorry, but I still don't believe that Grayson is even an upgrade over Austin Davis.

Harrison has the potential to be the best OLineman selected here or Rokevious Watkins Part Deux.

IMO, 3 OLinemen selections with the top 4 picks just might be OLine overkill if the Rams were able to bring in a couple veterans like Blalock & Barksdale.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
We're defo on the same page. This team just can't afford to waste premium picks on average to mediocre talent just because no QBs are signed for the future. This team still needs an influx of talent in the NOW. You live and die with Foles this season. Grayson won't be ready this season. Probably not next season. And I don't believe he ever will be ready as a starter. Next year will have a better class. I'd rather trade that 2nd and maybe a 4th to move up again for a high impact player.

Or get a guy who can spell JL55. Or have a CB since we're unlikely to retain both Jenks and Tru J.

Snisher missed their shot at a QB last year. No reason to compound the issue by blowing your wad on Grayson to make up for it.

To your point Marcus Peters or Paul Dawson could be sitting there with that 2nd.

paceram

Pro Bowler
To your point Marcus Peters or Paul Dawson could be sitting there with that 2nd.

Just curious - How do you rank Eric Kendricks with Paul Dawson and would you consider drafting him in the 2nd round if he was available? I think I read where he is listed as a MLB but could he play on the outside until JL retires? Kendricks just seems like a real intense/active LB who makes a ton of plays!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As always @jrry32 great job, however, Bryce Petty is my guy and I'm sticking to it!
images

fearsomefour

Legend
This one is for you, Memphis. ;) I followed your mock which is linked below for player availability in the first 3 rounds:
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/memphisram-3-round-mock-draft-1-0.36309/

I am going to pretend that the Rams did not sign (or re-sign) any FAs prior to the draft.(as disappointed as I would be if that happened)

Trade
St. Louis Rams trade Round 3 Pick #8 and 2016 4th Round Pick
New England Patriots trade Round 2 Pick #32

I did include one trade, Memphis, but since we're trading up and not gaining picks, I figured it was fair game.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #10 - T.J. Clemmings OT Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chPpSi723eM

Analysis: This may not be the most popular pick because people are worried about his perceived rawness but that won't stop me from drafting the highest rated guy on my board. The draft is about more than just 2015. Yes, Clemmings will have some rookies moments if asked to start at RT but he also has the ability to develop into one of the best OTs in the NFL.(not just RT...either side) He's easily the most athletically gifted OT in this class boasting quick feet, great balance, smooth, fluid and graceful movement skills, and arguably the best power of any OT in this class. Clemmings is already a dominating run blocker despite still having some technical flaws to clean up in that department.

As a pass blocker, Clemmings is raw but insanely talented. He has the range and movement skills to handle any type of rusher but needs to learn to trust his feet and technique as he climbs deeper into the back-field. Clemmings also needs to not involve his head in his punch as it leaves him vulnerable to arm over swim moves and adversely affects his balance. Additionally, Clemmings needs to work on his footwork while sliding and his punch placement especially on counter moves to the inside. That all said, Clemmings has come a long way as a player and should continue to develop with even better coaching at the next level. As long as he doesn't lose confidence, he has the ability to be as good as he wants to be as a pass blocker...he just needs time, coaching, and experience.

Round 2 Pick #9 - A.J. Cann OG/C South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwRR2-tr_w

Analysis: A.J. Cann is the best pure OG in this class but actually got a lot of work at Center at his Pro Day and was recruited out of high school as a Center. He would be an interesting developmental prospect at Center for down the line that can contribute immediately as a rookie at OG. As a LG, Cann is a brutish run blocker combining sound footwork with great power and leverage. He's explosive out of his stance, consistently the low man, and drives his feet through contact. Cann has a mean streak and looks to bury guys in the run game. He'd immediately bolster our run game and his experience in South Carolina's zone blocking scheme will help him at the next level because it bolstered his understanding of angles and positions and gave him a lot of experience blocking on the move.

As a pass protector, Cann has a few technical issues to clean up but should be able to hold his own until they're cleaned up. Cann has the natural mirroring ability, anchor, power, and athleticism to develop into a very good pass protecting LG. He needs to improve his punch and hand placement in the passing game. His punch can be a bit weak because he doesn't time it right and he has a tendency to allow his punches to land outside the chest-plate. Cann also needs to do a better job of sitting back in his stance as he'll get caught leaning at times but his bend is not at all an issue so that should be something that will be easy to clean up. Cann also needs to do a better job of redirecting vs. quicker DTs especially on swim moves as he will sometimes stop moving his feet when getting spun on by a quick DT. Regardless, Cann's technical issues are very fixable and nothing overly worrisome at this stage.

Round 2 Pick #32 - Garrett Grayson QB Colorado State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fwhKKXII_g

Analysis: The Rams see Bryce Petty go off the board a few picks ahead of Grayson and decide that they want to get in front of the teams picking at the beginning of Round 3 to make sure they can land their guy. Garrett Grayson does not have outstanding physical tools but he makes up for his average physical talent with great instincts, sound mechanics, and consistent ball placement. Grayson's arm strength is middle of the pack and would likely be considered below average for a current NFL starter but it is adequate for the next level. Due to his polished footwork, he gets good zip on the majority of throws. Some of the deeper throws to the sideline can be tough for him. However, him and Nick Foles both are similar in terms of arm strength so Grayson's arm is more than enough. Grayson really shines in ball placement. His polished footwork, throwing base, and upper body mechanics allow him to throw a very consistent ball. He is coming from a pro style offense so he's used to throwing pro style routes and locates the football well especially on deep routes. Grayson also shows nice touch on the ball although he needs to do a better job of lofting it when trying to get over the LOS without a throwing lane as he had some issues in college with batted passes. Grayson also had a slight hitch in the back side of his throwing motion but has reportedly been working this off-season to clean that up.

Grayson's poise under pressure, pocket presence, and pocket movement are some of the most impressive parts of his game. Grayson feels pressure and understands how to slide in the pocket to find and create space while still keeping his eyes down-field. Grayson also understands when to take a sack and protect the football. His OL was inconsistent so he dealt with quite a bit of pressure and has a lot of experience standing tall and making accurate throws with the knowledge that he's about to get hit. He's a very tough kid (played through an ankle injury during the season despite it visibly hobbling him in some games...and played well). Grayson also has flashed NFL caliber anticipation (seen him start his motion on quite a few NFL out routes before the WR has even began gearing down to make his break) although he needs to be more consistent with it, his timing, and his internal clock. Will throw late at times or hold onto the ball too long at times but this should improve with experience and coaching at the next level. Grayson has shown the ability to work through NFL style route combinations and progressions. He will hit the checkdown when nothing is there or throw it away when necessary. He's a good decision maker that protects the ball. He needs to be more deceptive with his eyes as he will lock onto targets at times. Grayson also needs to be more consistent with his timing in moving through progressions. His mental processing speed looks great at times and at other times, he's slow to come off his first read. But again, these are things that typically improve in the NFL. I like Grayson a lot as a prospect. I think he's got the ability to develop into a starter for a team at the next level.

Round 4 Pick #20 - Jarvis Harrison OG/OT Texas A&M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlqJS2BVwxI

Analysis: Jarvis Harrison really has no business being around this late in the draft. It's likely that a lot of you don't really know much about Harrison. Here's some interesting info on Harrison...at the Combine, Harrison bested La'el Collins in the 10 yard dash(1.77 vs. 1.87), in the vertical jump(29.5 inches vs. 27 inches), in the short shuttle(4.62 vs. 4.63), and the 3 cone drill(7.51 vs. 7.70). Collins only bested Harrison in the broad jump(9 feet vs. 8.5 feet). Now here's the kicker...Harrison did all that at 330 pounds...that's 25 pounds heavier than Collins. Jarvis Harrison is a 6'4" 330 pound OG with the athleticism and feet of a NFL OT(arguably a NFL LT). He also has enough length to play LT or RT when needed(6'4" with 33.5 inch arms). Harrison's pass protection skills are incredibly impressive despite a few technical flaws in his punch timing and hand placement. His ability to sustain blocks in pass protection is incredible. This is a kid that has experience at LG, RG, and RT. Hell, he even slid out to LT this year against Missouri and Auburn and showed the foot speed to handle the LT spot. So why is Harrison still around in the 4th round?

There are a couple big reasons why. The first one is that there are some major concerns about Harrison's ability to keep his weight in check. He was suspended for the first two games in 2014 due to "conditioning" problems. He's a guy that the team that drafts him is going to have to keep a close eye on. On top of that, Harrison lacks a mean streak and plays with far too much finesse as well as a highly inconsistent motor. He definitely looks like a lazy player on the field at times. He's a guy that you're going to have to light a fire under him. As a run blocker, Harrison just looks to block his man and sustain the block rather than dominate him. He doesn't drive him off the LOS or out of the hole like a man with his power and size should. He also doesn't look to bury or finish his man. He's an effective enough run blocker but he should be dominant with his size, strength, and athleticism. That all said, Harrison is the most physically gifted OG in this class and if he actually had his head screwed on right, he'd be a first round pick. I think it's worth taking the risk here in the fourth round on a guy with his sort of upside. I hope that Fisher and Boudreau will be able to motivate him and the Rams will find a way to help him keep his weight under control. Because if that happens, you have a kid that can be a dominant OG and a swing OT. In fact, Harrison kind of reminds me of Shawn Andrews. Hopefully, we can keep Harrison's head screwed on for longer than Andrews's because Andrews was an elite player until he fell apart mentally and physically after his fourth year.

Round 6 Pick #40 - DeAndre Smelter WR Georgia Tech

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjlTPD4BHQo

Analysis: I'm not buying that he'll be here. I still think that someone will recognize his talent and scoop him up in the 4th or 5th round but he's ranked lowly on the draft sites and I just want a reason to toss him in this draft. As I've said before many times, this is a kid with outstanding physical talent and the type of attitude I love in big WRs(aggressive bully). He's 6'2" 225 with speed to stretch the defenses deep, the strength to break tackles after the catch, and the quickness to make people miss as well as make hard cuts on his routes. He's raw and tore his ACL late in 2014 but if he were healthy, I think he'd have put himself in contention for a first round pick at the Combine. He's that talented imo.

Round 7 Pick #32 - Donald Celiscar CB/S Western Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTJAbl2cbRM

Analysis: Another player that I think quite highly of and that I think will likely be off the board this point in the draft but again, the draft sites have him rated in this area. Celiscar is a physical CB that is not afraid to come up in run support. His lack of long speed has some believing he should move to safety due to the aforementioned physicality and run support. I think he'd be a great safety but I also think he's capable of playing CB in the NFL. Likely in the slot. I love his instincts, feet, and hip fluidity. He anticipates routes well and gets a great break on the ball. He's a very aggressive kid that sticks to his man like glue. Faster WRs can get behind him deep but he's feisty and will make them absolutely earn it. The big thing I loved seeing while watching him is that he brought his "A" game when playing more talented teams and really stood out. Also, Celiscar is a former WR and plays like it. He has great ball-skills and is very comfortable playing the ball even with his back to it.

Starting Line-up
QB: Nick Foles
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: A.J. Cann
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: T.J. Clemmings

LDE: Chris Long
NT: Michael Brockers
UT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: E.J. Gaines
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: Trumaine Johnson (Gaines moves into the slot when all three are on the field)
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Benny Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

I realize all the rookie starters (as well as young players on top of that in Greg Robinson and Barrett Jones) isn't ideal but I am working within the constraints I set out. If it were my choice, I'd like to go into the draft with AT LEAST one of Joe Barksdale and Justin Blalock but I wanted to do a mock with no trades and without signing either one since that's the situation we're CURRENTLY in.(hoping it will change soon)

P.S. for all of those worried about the WR corp...2016 looks like it'll have a nice group as well so if we have to wait until next year...don't fret. Tyler Boyd (#23) from Pittsburgh is going to be a great prospect...kid is nasty. And you got guys like LaQuon Treadwell(Ole Miss), Rashard Higgins(Colorado State), Duke Williams(Auburn), and Mike Williams(Clemson). It's also going to be a talented class.

I love this draft.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan

this is the best draft I have seen imo mostly because of

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grayson probably won't be ready next season? The guy who actually is coming out of a pro style offense. That's ridiculous. Grayson could play this year once he gets the scheme down...but it would be smarter to have a veteran like Foles because rookies make rookie mistakes.

Next year might have a better class...it probably will. But there's also no guarantee we get the QB we want next year.

The Rams did miss their shot at a QB last year...Teddy Bridgewater. But they have a chance to make up for it by taking a kid who gets knocked for some of the same reasons.(physical attributes)

No matter how many mocks you have, in w/e combinations, I'm going to loathe the Garrett Grayson pick every time.

He's about a 4th round QB at best in a less crappy QB draft. I'm going to hate overdrafts each and every time.

I would rather take the best LB or CB at our slot instead.

Except he's not. For the reasons I just gave Boston.

I really don't get the hate for Grayson. You've got a kid coming from a pro style offense with sound mechanics, consistent ball placement, and pocket presence/movement/poise. On top of that, he's actually shown the ability to throw guys open, make anticipation throws, and work through pro style progressions.

What's the issue?

I don't really get what about him isn't a 2nd round talent. Guys like Jimmy Garoppolo and Andy Dalton offered similar physical skill-sets and both went in the 2nd.

Sorry, but I still don't believe that Grayson is even an upgrade over Austin Davis.

Harrison has the potential to be the best OLineman selected here or Rokevious Watkins Part Deux.

IMO, 3 OLinemen selections with the top 4 picks just might be OLine overkill if the Rams were able to bring in a couple veterans like Blalock & Barksdale.

As I said, the Rams didn't bring in either. I'm working within those constraints.

Grayson doesn't panic when he's pressured. That, alone, almost makes him an upgrade over Davis. When you include everything else, he's an upgrade. A clear one imo.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Just curious - How do you rank Eric Kendricks with Paul Dawson and would you consider drafting him in the 2nd round if he was available? I think I read where he is listed as a MLB but could he play on the outside until JL retires? Kendricks just seems like a real intense/active LB who makes a ton of plays!

From a talent perspective I would give the edge to Dawson by a pretty good margin. If you could merge the 2 you have the perfect LB. Kendricks has the intangibles and Dawson has the talent. Kendricks has a lot of JL in him, very productive but leaves some underwhelmed. I wish Kendricks was a little more explosive especially when you consider his size. Does not make a lot of plays for loss or even no gain. Lots of his plays are made after a 4 yard gain.

I like Kendricks and his attitude and think he will be a productive player.

I still like Shaq Thompson better than them both.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry gotta admit I'd take that draft right now because it hits the OL holes with the kind of talent the unit needs. To nitpick a bit however...

Grayson is intriguing, but I prefer Petty even if it means trading up from our second round pick to take him early second or late first round through using next year's extra second round pick. I think Petty is gonna be the best QB from this class and is worth the reach.

Clemmings worries me but I'm good with it because he could end up being special on the right side and the Rams have the coaching to bring him around. Where I'll nitpick you is I'd prefer that the Rams move down to get another pick there if the pick is going to be Clemmings. Same goes for some of those other options, really think the trade down from 10 and getting their OL at the top of the draft is the way to go because of these RT types who are going to be there on the board even if they go down into the 20s.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry gotta admit I'd take that draft right now because it hits the OL holes with the kind of talent the unit needs. To nitpick a bit however...

Grayson is intriguing, but I prefer Petty even if it means trading up from our second round pick to take him early second or late first round through using next year's extra second round pick. I think Petty is gonna be the best QB from this class and is worth the reach.

Clemmings worries me but I'm good with it because he could end up being special on the right side and the Rams have the coaching to bring him around. Where I'll nitpick you is I'd prefer that the Rams move down to get another pick there if the pick is going to be Clemmings. Same goes for some of those other options, really think the trade down from 10 and getting their OL at the top of the draft is the way to go because of these RT types who are going to be there on the board even if they go down into the 20s.

You're certainly entitled to that opinion. I just don't share it. I wouldn't draft Petty in the first three rounds.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Grayson probably won't be ready next season? The guy who actually is coming out of a pro style offense. That's ridiculous. Grayson could play this year once he gets the scheme down...but it would be smarter to have a veteran like Foles because rookies make rookie mistakes.

Next year might have a better class...it probably will. But there's also no guarantee we get the QB we want next year.

The Rams did miss their shot at a QB last year...Teddy Bridgewater. But they have a chance to make up for it by taking a kid who gets knocked for some of the same reasons.(physical attributes)

Except he's not. For the reasons I just gave Boston.

I really don't get the hate for Grayson. You've got a kid coming from a pro style offense with sound mechanics, consistent ball placement, and pocket presence/movement/poise. On top of that, he's actually shown the ability to throw guys open, make anticipation throws, and work through pro style progressions.

What's the issue?

I don't really get what about him isn't a 2nd round talent. Guys like Jimmy Garoppolo and Andy Dalton offered similar physical skill-sets and both went in the 2nd.

As I said, the Rams didn't bring in either. I'm working within those constraints.

Grayson doesn't panic when he's pressured. That, alone, almost makes him an upgrade over Davis. When you include everything else, he's an upgrade. A clear one imo.

Garoppolo has the quickest release I have seen in any QB in the last 8 years, it's why I called him out last year. Quick release, quick recognition that translate at the next level.

Dalton is a back up disguised as a starter with a bunch of weapons. Put Dalton on the Rams and you have a bad QB. He is also a QB that has not won a playoff game. He is good but not good enough to win it all. Grayson's ceiling is probably Dalton, to me is just not worth a 2nd rounder. I wouldn't trade a 2nd rounder for Dalton, why draft a guy with that ceiling 2nd?

It's not so much a knock on Grayson as much as the draft slot you have him at. If you are getting him in the 4th I would ok with that

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Garoppolo has the quickest release I have seen in any QB in the last 8 years, it's why I called him out last year. Quick release, quick recognition that translate at the next level.

Dalton is a back up disguised as a starter with a bunch of weapons. Put Dalton on the Rams and you have a bad QB. He is also a QB that has not won a playoff game. He is good but not good enough to win it all. Grayson's ceiling is probably Dalton, to me is just not worth a 2nd rounder. I wouldn't trade a 2nd rounder for Dalton, why draft a guy with that ceiling 2nd?

It's not so much a knock on Grayson as much as the draft slot you have him at. If you are getting him in the 4th I would ok with that

He's also a QB that has helped his team reach the playoffs in each of the last four years. Dalton on the Rams would be Dalton. Which is a below average starting QB.

Dalton is not Grayson's ceiling though. Ceilings are hard to determine for QBs but imo, Grayson's ceiling is Kurt Warner. Dalton is Grayson's realistic expectation imo.

As far as Garoppolo goes, yes, he had a quick release. He was also coming from a spread offense and had very questionable pocket presence. I prefer Grayson to Garoppolo as a prospect.

I feel like people are overvaluing physical talent for QBs. If that position has proved anything, it's that physical talent is the least important of the four components.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I feel like people are overvaluing physical talent for QBs. If that position has proved anything, it's that physical talent is the least important of the four components.

Not if you ask the ladies.....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not if you ask the ladies.....

LOL...I think it's still true there as well...I've seen the girls the average looking NFL QBs pull. :p