Jrry32 No Cooper? No White? No Problem Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't change too much from my last mock in terms of the players drafted. I think it's very important for us to bring a couple vets capable of starting at RT and OG before the draft. Hopefully, the Rams get the deals done.
Free Agency
1. Sign Justin Blalock
2. Re-sign Joe Barksdale

Trade
St. Louis Rams trade 1st round #10
Cleveland Browns trade 1st round #19 and 2nd round #11

Kevin White, Amari Cooper, and Marcus Mariota are all off the board. The Rams have a number of guys ranked closely in that second tier so they opt to move down with Cleveland. Cleveland is moving up to grab DeVante Parker at #10 and want to keep #12 for a guy they're rumored to be high on...Ereck Flowers.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #19 - Todd Gurley HB Georgia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQkHP5BxxMU

Analysis: This might be a curious pick for some but I'll go ahead and quote Nick Foles here, "Coach Fisher really likes the run game." The Rams are a team that wants to run the ball and Gurley is very arguably a top 5 talent in this draft but his knee injury will drop him in the first round. Yes, there's risk here because of the injury but there's no denying that if Gurley comes back strong like so many others have, he's more than worth it. He's big, fast, powerful, and a huge threat in the passing game...true three down back who can combine with Mason to give us one hell of a 1-2 punch. If the Rams want to pound the rock and play defense next year, it will give Mason and Gurley plenty of carries to go around.

Round 2 Pick #9 - A.J. Cann OG/C South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwRR2-tr_w

Analysis: Cann is a well rounded player who needs some development in pass pro but should be able to compete for the starting job at LG or Center at some point during his rookie year. Good overall athlete with good power who really maximizes his power with his use of leverage, flexibility, and active feet. Powerful run blocker with the movement skills and anchor to be a quality NFL pass protector once his punch timing and hand placement improve.

Round 2 Pick #11 - Eric Kendricks LB UCLA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x24S4ce1h3s

Analysis: We missed out on Eric's brother, Mychal, a few years ago in the Pead trade down. So we grab Eric to be Laurinaitis's heir apparent. Kendricks is an athletic and rangy LB with great instincts that can more than hold his own in coverage. He's a do it all LB that can play Mike or Will at the next level and will rack up tackles. Kendricks is your typical glue guy. He'll be reliable, always around the football, and a player you can count on to show up every single week.

Round 3 Pick #8 - Andy Gallik C Boston College

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfUY4HnHcCg

Analysis: Gallik isn't going to overwhelm you with his power and punch but he's quick off the snap, has excellent hand strength that makes it very difficult to disengage once he locks in, and you gotta love his feisty, competitive attitude. Gallik uses angles and positioning well and is very active with his hands and arms. His hand placement while run blocking is excellent. Has the potential to develop into a starting Center especially if he improves his functional strength in a NFL S&C program.

Round 4 Pick #20 - DeAndre Smelter WR Georgia Tech

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjlTPD4BHQo

Analysis: Smelter tore his ACL late in the year or else I think he'd be in the running to be a first round pick. He's an outstanding athlete at 6'2" 226 with massive 11 inch hands and he bullies defenders despite having only two years of experience in college football. He's a project WR but he has major upside down the road. I don't think it's a stretch to call him one of the most physically talented WRs in this class...and that's saying something if you look at this class of WRs. I'd love to get him with Kenny Britt and Brian Quick.

Round 6 Comp Pick - Donald Celiscar CB Western Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTJAbl2cbRM

Analysis: Makes me think of E.J. Gaines because he's EXTREMELY productive, experienced, and natural in coverage but is being underrated due to measurables. Great feet and hips, drives on the football extremely well, good ball-skills, willing in run support, and anticipates routes well. But he's a tad undersized and lacks great straight-line speed. Underrated player.

Round 7 Pick #31 - Chaz Green OT Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Ll__i8SoM

Analysis: Green steps in as a swing OT for us on the OL. He falls this far due to medical issues but I see him as a mid round talent. Has good range and overall movement skills for his size(6'5" 315), can play either OT spot and could probably slide in and play OG if needed, and Green is capable of getting push in the run game. He's a solid all around player that can be good depth on the OL if he stays healthy.

2015 Projected Starters
QB: Nick Foles
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Justin Blalock
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Benny Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

Ltrautman

MIZ
I personally prefer Melvin Gordon over Gurley and his recovering ACL, but outside of the first round pick there's not a thing I would change.. Love Kendricks in round 2

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That draft would be great if all 3 of the guys with medical/ injuries completely recover. But Fisher let Steven Jackson go due to age and injury concerns, he didn't want Amendola because of injuries and now he traded the oft injured Bradford. I think picking 3 more injured guys would make Jeff rip his hair out.

I would be estatic with a healthy Gurley. He reminds me of SJ coming out of college without the hitch. The Oline is addressed and I am even warming up to Galick after watching him a bit more. Plus I am seeing more holes in the other centers games than I would like. I do like Shaq from GT though.

I like Celiscar and Kendricks, Smelter has potential and that is a good spot to pick a guy that needs developed NOT round 2! If everything worked out that could be a good draft IMO.

One major flaw though. There is no Auburn guys.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I like it..... a fresh perspective. ....weather we agree or not..... great ideas...... ;)

Go Rams........ ;)

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Thought I was gonna hate it when I saw Gurley as the pick at #19, but kinda liked it as a whole. Good new mock. (y)

*question, does JLau's contract end at the end of the 2016 season, or 2017? Also what do you think the chances are they extent his contract? Cause I think there is a very high chance they do. This all pertains to the Kendricks pick of course.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thought I was gonna hate it when I saw Gurley as the pick at #19, but kinda liked it as a whole. Good new mock. (y)

*question, does JLau's contract end at the end of the 2016 season, or 2017? Also what do you think the chances are they extent his contract? Cause I think there is a very high chance they do. This all pertains to the Kendricks pick of course.

That hurts, Tron. How could you ever hate a Gurley pick in the second half of the first round? Is it the name? We can call him Todd Manley if it helps. ;)

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
That hurts, Tron. How could you ever hate a Gurley pick in the second half of the first round? Is it the name? We can call him Todd Manley if it helps. ;)
I'd prefer "Todd Faulk". (y) that I could get on board on easily!!

I'd settle for Todd Dickerson as well :)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Gurley's an amazing player. Feels like a luxury pick and I can't get past that.

FrankenRam

Starter
Trade

NFL Draft

I think I could warm up to that idea rather easily. IF Gurley's ACL is healed, he & Mason could be one heckuva RB tandem. Could take a LOT of pressure off the QB position.

Stel

Starter
Four picks in the top 70 and you expect only one player to have immediate significant playing time? With those picks, I'm assuming that, in the absence of injury, Cann, Gallik, and Kendricks won't see the field in 2015. I'd hope for more immediate impact than that. And I think going into this season counting on Jones to be our starting center isn't very realistic.

Athos

Legend
That's a lot of knee injuries to draft is my 1st thought. Smelter and Gurley both will likely miss training camp. Or rather, should. Would rather ease those picks in slowly.

There is a point, however, about a Fisher run game needing a more elite back who won't wear down. I like BamBam. Like Mason. But let's be real, we don't have one of those lines you can throw anyone behind and have them have a 1000 yard season with around 8 TDs. Probably not this season.

So you need a better stable of backs. Gurley is a beast. Don't think you could go wrong with Gordon either.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could totally see Cleveland trading up to 10 if white and cooper are gone. Parker likely won't slide by Minnesota.
That said, Id hate to draft an RB in the first with tre on the team.
And count me in the "I like Gordon more" camp.
And I wouldn't take him there either

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Didn't change too much from my last mock in terms of the players drafted. I think it's very important for us to bring a couple vets capable of starting at RT and OG before the draft. Hopefully, the Rams get the deals done.
Free Agency
1. Sign Justin Blalock
2. Re-sign Joe Barksdale

Trade

Kevin White, Amari Cooper, and Marcus Mariota are all off the board. The Rams have a number of guys ranked closely in that second tier so they opt to move down with Cleveland. Cleveland is moving up to grab DeVante Parker at #10 and want to keep #12 for a guy they're rumored to be high on...Ereck Flowers.

NFL Draft

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQkHP5BxxMU

Analysis: This might be a curious pick for some but I'll go ahead and quote Nick Foles here, "Coach Fisher really likes the run game." The Rams are a team that wants to run the ball and Gurley is very arguably a top 5 talent in this draft but his knee injury will drop him in the first round. Yes, there's risk here because of the injury but there's no denying that if Gurley comes back strong like so many others have, he's more than worth it. He's big, fast, powerful, and a huge threat in the passing game...true three down back who can combine with Mason to give us one hell of a 1-2 punch. If the Rams want to pound the rock and play defense next year, it will give Mason and Gurley plenty of carries to go around.

Round 2 Pick #9 - A.J. Cann OG/C South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwRR2-tr_w

Analysis: Cann is a well rounded player who needs some development in pass pro but should be able to compete for the starting job at LG or Center at some point during his rookie year. Good overall athlete with good power who really maximizes his power with his use of leverage, flexibility, and active feet. Powerful run blocker with the movement skills and anchor to be a quality NFL pass protector once his punch timing and hand placement improve.

Round 2 Pick #11 - Eric Kendricks LB UCLA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x24S4ce1h3s

Analysis: We missed out on Eric's brother, Mychal, a few years ago in the Pead trade down. So we grab Eric to be Laurinaitis's heir apparent. Kendricks is an athletic and rangy LB with great instincts that can more than hold his own in coverage. He's a do it all LB that can play Mike or Will at the next level and will rack up tackles. Kendricks is your typical glue guy. He'll be reliable, always around the football, and a player you can count on to show up every single week.

Round 3 Pick #8 - Andy Gallik C Boston College

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfUY4HnHcCg

Analysis: Gallik isn't going to overwhelm you with his power and punch but he's quick off the snap, has excellent hand strength that makes it very difficult to disengage once he locks in, and you gotta love his feisty, competitive attitude. Gallik uses angles and positioning well and is very active with his hands and arms. His hand placement while run blocking is excellent. Has the potential to develop into a starting Center especially if he improves his functional strength in a NFL S&C program.

Round 4 Pick #20 - DeAndre Smelter WR Georgia Tech

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjlTPD4BHQo

Analysis: Smelter tore his ACL late in the year or else I think he'd be in the running to be a first round pick. He's an outstanding athlete at 6'2" 226 with massive 11 inch hands and he bullies defenders despite having only two years of experience in college football. He's a project WR but he has major upside down the road. I don't think it's a stretch to call him one of the most physically talented WRs in this class...and that's saying something if you look at this class of WRs. I'd love to get him with Kenny Britt and Brian Quick.

Round 6 Comp Pick - Donald Celiscar CB Western Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTJAbl2cbRM

Analysis: Makes me think of E.J. Gaines because he's EXTREMELY productive, experienced, and natural in coverage but is being underrated due to measurables. Great feet and hips, drives on the football extremely well, good ball-skills, willing in run support, and anticipates routes well. But he's a tad undersized and lacks great straight-line speed. Underrated player.

Round 7 Pick #31 - Chaz Green OT Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Ll__i8SoM

Analysis: Green steps in as a swing OT for us on the OL. He falls this far due to medical issues but I see him as a mid round talent. Has good range and overall movement skills for his size(6'5" 315), can play either OT spot and could probably slide in and play OG if needed, and Green is capable of getting push in the run game. He's a solid all around player that can be good depth on the OL if he stays healthy.

2015 Projected Starters
QB: Nick Foles
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin or Stedman Bailey
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Justin Blalock
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Benny Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

Oh, you SOB, that was the same trade that I had yesterday, except I included them giving us a #2 next year too. Totally different mock though. I like it except for Chaz Green, I don't see him as a swing tackle, at all. He's very stiff, and slow. Not good enough feet, IMO. I'll find you a better lineman. I have a RB too, but not quite that high.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I wouldn't mind getting Gurley (we don't have an "elite" RB), just not sure at that spot. I actually could see Cann and Gurley flipped as picks... uh-oh, here comes Jrry! ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Four picks in the top 70 and you expect only one player to have immediate significant playing time? With those picks, I'm assuming that, in the absence of injury, Cann, Gallik, and Kendricks won't see the field in 2015. I'd hope for more immediate impact than that. And I think going into this season counting on Jones to be our starting center isn't very realistic.

I don't pencil rookie starters in unless we just lack a guy at the position who can actually play at this level or we drafted a guy that I think is an elite pro ready talent. Some guys are ready to start, some guys aren't. You never know who is or isn't.

Who would have thought that our 6th round pick would have started before the #2 and #13 picks last year?

Gotta earn a starting job.

I'm fine with Barrett Jones being our starting Center next year. I saw him play against KC. He can hold his own at this level. His durability is the major concern I have.

Gurley's an amazing player. Feels like a luxury pick and I can't get past that.

IMO, nothing luxurious about it. Our offense needs special impact players. If we can't get Cooper or White, Gurley is the next best shot at a guy who provides that.

Oh, you SOB, that was the same trade that I had yesterday, except I included them giving us a #2 next year too. Totally different mock though. I like it except for Chaz Green, I don't see him as a swing tackle, at all. He's very stiff, and slow. Not good enough feet, IMO. I'll find you a better lineman. I have a RB too, but not quite that high.

Gotta disagree on Green. I didn't see a very stiff or slow guy on tape. His feet aren't elite but they're good for a guy who's slotted to go that late. In fact, I hate to point to the Combine but his 40, 10 yard split, short shuttle, and 3 cone drill are all right in line with Andrus Peat. And I think he plays to it on tape.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=107947&draftyear=2015&genpos=OT
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=124694&draftyear=2015&genpos=OT

I could totally see Cleveland trading up to 10 if white and cooper are gone. Parker likely won't slide by Minnesota.
That said, Id hate to draft an RB in the first with tre on the team.
And count me in the "I like Gordon more" camp.
And I wouldn't take him there either

Gordon isn't anywhere near the fact on passing downs that Gurley is and I prefer Gurley by a solid margin in our blocking scheme. We're talking about two guys with similar speed, I'd rather have the power HB that breaks more tackles.

Gordon isn't a bad talent himself but I do think there's a solid gap between the two.

That's a lot of knee injuries to draft is my 1st thought. Smelter and Gurley both will likely miss training camp. Or rather, should. Would rather ease those picks in slowly.

There is a point, however, about a Fisher run game needing a more elite back who won't wear down. I like BamBam. Like Mason. But let's be real, we don't have one of those lines you can throw anyone behind and have them have a 1000 yard season with around 8 TDs. Probably not this season.

So you need a better stable of backs. Gurley is a beast. Don't think you could go wrong with Gordon either.

We're a talented team without a lot of holes. We can afford to take chances on guys who had injuries drop them well beyond where they should have went.

Gurley isn't supposed to miss training camp. Smelter may or may not. But he's a developmental WR. A redshirt year for him isn't a bad idea anyways.

I wouldn't mind getting Gurley (we don't have an "elite" RB), just not sure at that spot. I actually could see Cann and Gurley flipped as picks... uh-oh, here comes Jrry! ;)

I'd love to get Gurley in the 2nd round. I just don't think it's a feasible choice.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
@jrry32, I like him, but at OT, not the best, option, but possible ORT, or Center. He has short arms, and is ideally built for a G/C. In my notes, I have him as having very quick feet, and powerful compact build. He looked pretty good in his ORT kick slide at the combine. Good balance, and pop. I love his quickness, and know of his numbers, one of the best 10's 1.75 in this draft. He has huge hands too. With his feet and quickness/power combo, he could possibly make a very good OLG, or Center. Being available where you have him, another conversation, but I'd do an assisted back flip if that happened. I think he's a potential starter with some work. I don't see enough length, and depth with legs to be an OT.

I think Florida has a pretty decent O-line coach, BTW. Props to him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32, I like him, but at OT, not the best, option, but possible ORT, or Center. He has short arms, and is ideally built for a G/C. In my notes, I have him as having very quick feet, and powerful compact build. He looked pretty good in his ORT kick slide at the combine. Good balance, and pop. I love his quickness, and know of his numbers, one of the best 10's 1.75 in this draft. He has huge hands too. With his feet and quickness/power combo, he could possibly make a very good OLG, or Center. Being available where you have him, another conversation, but I'd do an assisted back flip if that happened. I think he's a potential starter with some work. I don't see enough length, and depth with legs to be an OT.

I think Florida has a pretty decent O-line coach, BTW. Props to him.

His arms aren't long. I don't know if I'd go as far as short(Shorter than ideal? Sure). They're around 33.5". Not ideal but not below what you need from an OT. But OG or OT, I think he's good depth guy to bring in.

As far as why he would fall that far, from what I heard, he has some pretty major medical red flags that will get him dropped from the boards of some teams.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
His arms aren't long. I don't know if I'd go as far as short(Shorter than ideal? Sure). They're around 33.5". Not ideal but not below what you need from an OT. But OG or OT, I think he's good depth guy to bring in.

As far as why he would fall that far, from what I heard, he has some pretty major medical red flags that will get him dropped from the boards of some teams.
Well, being 6'4" and having that length of arm isn't ideal, and I only brought up metrics cuz you did first, but for a G, or C, I have no problem with that length with his body type. I do like his feet. I really can see him as a very good OLG, with starting potential. Great lower body thickness, and very good balance. I think everybody has him underrated, so props to you for even having him drafted. I don't go by rankings, so I had to look up where they had him. I assumed he'd be ranked higher. I'd have him as a late 3rd, early 4th prospect, besides the injuries. Rodger Saffold?

We're having a lot of conversation over a guy that isn't even supposed to be drafted, but he has some nice tools. This year reminds me a little of last year, not a lot of OT's, but pretty good players if you slide them in.

They are also harder to evaluate, because they are all getting closer to being good athlete's. It used to be easy to pick guys out of the pack.

Last edited: