Jrry32 NFL Combine Mock Offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This scenario is a little bit out there but I'm acting on some of the recent reports and I figured the fun of these is creativity.
Released
Jake Long OT
Kendall Langford DT
Scott Wells C
Eugene Sims DE
Isaiah Pead HB

Re-signed Players
Kenny Britt - 4 years $20 million($5 million first year)
Lance Kendricks - 3 years $9 million($3 million first year)
Shaun Hill - 1 year $1.5 million
Mike Person - 1 year $745,000
Cory Harkey - ERFA($645,000)
Rodney McLeod - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)

Free Agency
Jermey Parnell OT
6796722.jpg

3 years $12 million($4 million first year)

Parnell has been Dallas's swing OT the last few years and ended up starting 6 games at RT last year. He allowed 0 sacks in his 6 starts including both of Dallas's playoff games. He'd step in and compete for the RT job for us as well as giving us a legitimate swing OT as depth.

Rob Sims OG
4954328.jpg

2 years $5 million($2.5 million first year)

The Lions are expected to let Sims go as they try to rebuild their OL. Sims is 31 years old but he's started each of the 80 games in the past 5 years. He's consistent and durable which are two things we need. He'll compete with a draft pick for the starting OG job and provide quality depth.

Leger Douzable DT
med_gallery_5331_85_72722.jpg

2 years $3 million($1.5 million first year)

Douzable is a rotational DT that can step into the run stuffer role and is even capable of playing some DE if needed.

Josh Freeman QB
josh-freeman-oversleeps.jpg

1 year $745,000

Freeman will have the opportunity to compete for a QB job. He's worked with Weinke before so we take a shot on his talent. If he acts out or doesn't work hard, he can go back to watching football from his couch.

Trades
St. Louis trades 1st round #10
Philadelphia trades 1st round #20, QB Nick Foles, and 4th round #20

St. Louis trades QB Sam Bradford
Cleveland trades 2nd round #11

St. Louis trades HB Zach Stacy
Indianapolis trades 6th round #29

Philadelphia decides to make their move and go all in on Mariota. They offer us this trade to get the #10 pick and then trade up with Jacksonville at #3 by offering two firsts, their 2nd this year, and their 4th next year. We value Foles as a 2nd rounder in this trade.

With Foles coming over, the Rams decide to take Cleveland up on their offer and move Bradford for a 2nd.

Indianapolis seems to like power HBs and they have multiple 6th round picks. Stacy is good at grinding out yardage and should fit in well with their HB stable.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #20 - T.J. Clemmings OG/OT Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW19rssMRFM

Analysis: Clemmings falls due to his rawness and a tough Senior bowl week. I think it'll be at least a year before Clemmings is ready to play OT in the NFL but I do think he can play OG as a rookie. He'll compete with Rob Sims for the starting OG spot. Clemmings has great physical gifts but is a raw player still learning how to play OL. That all said, he is already a devastating run blocker despite needing technical work.

Round 2 Pick #9 - A.J. Cann OG/C South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwRR2-tr_w

Analysis: This should be no surprise, I have had Cann in many of my mocks. I love his fit in our scheme and him saying that he can play Center only makes him more valuable for me. Cann might not be able to compete for the Center job this year but he'll be able to compete at OG at worst.

Round 2 Pick #11 - Paul Dawson LB Texas Christian

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3izLFsWGpY

Analysis: There have been some reports of character concerns with Paul Dawson but I'm unfazed. The guy has a great motor and is constantly moving on the field. Dawson is a top tier athlete with elite cover skills and excellent overall instincts. He'll be able to play OLB and might be Laurinaitis's heir apparent at MLB.

Round 3 Pick #8 - DeAndre Smelter WR Georgia Tech

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjlTPD4BHQo

Analysis: Maybe I could wait and get him in the fourth but I'd rather not take that risk. Smelter tore his ACL late in the year or else I think he'd be in the running to be a first round pick. He's an outstanding athlete at 6'2" 226 with massive 11 inch hands and he bullies defenders despite having only two years of experience in college football. He's a project WR but he has major upside down the road. I'd love to get him with Kenny Britt and Brian Quick.

Round 4 Pick #20 - Chaz Green OT/OG Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Ll__i8SoM

Analysis: Green hasn't gotten much hype unlike teammate D.J. Humphries but he's deserving of it. Like Humphries, he's had durability issues at UF but Green still possesses good athleticism and the power to generate movement in the running game. At 6'5" 315, he's a good fit for our PBS and is capable of providing depth at four positions. He also might be able to compete with Parnell as a rookie for that starting RT job as Green is a good pass protector with impressive range on the edge.

Round 5 Pick #9 - Donald Celiscar CB Western Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTJAbl2cbRM

Analysis: Makes me think of E.J. Gaines because he's EXTREMELY productive, experienced, and natural in coverage but is being underrated due to measurables. Great feet and hips, drives on the football extremely well, good ball-skills, willing in run support, and anticipates routes well. But he's a tad undersized and lacks great straight-line speed. Underrated player.

Round 6 Pick #29 - Josh Robinson HB Mississippi State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoxXIvwxYTo

Analysis: I had us taking him in the 3rd round 10 or so days ago but the Combine can be brutal for some players. This is a super deep and talented HB class and some guys will fall further than they should. After running a 4.7 40, Robinson will likely be one of those guys. I don't care about his 40. The guy is built at 5'8" 220, runs like a bull, and has massive hands for his size which allows him to be a very good pass catcher. Just watch him against LSU and tell me that he's a 6th round pick.

Round 6 Pick Comp - Darius Kilgo DT Maryland

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egsAK5F0Dy8

Analysis: Kilgo is a very big man at 6'4" 320 and will offer us another rotational run stopper behind Brockers, Donald, and Douzable. Kilgo needs some development on his handwork and use of leverage as he gets too high with his pad level but he's extremely stout at the POA and very strong. He played NT in Maryland's 3-4 defense. He's a project for Coach Waufle to develop.

Round 7 Pick #31 - Taylor Heinicke QB Old Dominion

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pl8yChaw9E

Analysis: We take a shot on a developmental QB. Heinicke impressed me with his ball placement, instinctual ability to find passing lanes, and willingness to climb the pocket. However, he's short(6'1"), struggles throwing over the line, and lacks a great arm. I think he has a lot in common with Chase Daniel but he's more athletic and has a slightly stronger arm. He's really surprising in how mobile and athletic he is.

Starting Line-up
QB: Nick Foles
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Rob Sims
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Jermey Parnell

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Bennie Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

Our OL is finally a deep and talented unit with our depth consisting of:
Utility: Mike Person
Utility: Chaz Green
Utility: T.J. Clemmings
OG/C: A.J. Cann
C: Demetrius Rhaney

I realize that I have zero rookie starters but that's because I don't believe in penciling in rookies for a starting job if we have a starting caliber vet. You never know how ready a guy will or won't be.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So you allow Barksdale to leave. I heard today that Kendrick's will get 4 million at least. May have to let him go too.

What did Dawson do to get a bad rep?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Think Dawson will go earlier(late first) and that its to early for Smelter(as we are currently discussing), but beside that I like it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So you allow Barksdale to leave. I heard today that Kendrick's will get 4 million at least. May have to let him go too.

What did Dawson do to get a bad rep?

Kendricks wants $4 million but it doesn't mean he'll get it. We let him test the market and we get him back with $3 million. Will that happen? I have no clue. I could see Kendricks getting $4 million but I could also see him not getting it.

Yep, allowed Barksdale to go and replaced him with Parnell who played really well last year when he stepped in for Free.

Dawson has had reports coming out questioning his character. He(Dawson) wrote a piece on it for SI, I think, and admitted to being a knucklehead but said he's not a bad kid and turned things around.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Think Dawson will go earlier(late first) and that its to early for Smelter(as we are currently discussing), but beside that I like it.

For me, the concern isn't about where he'll get drafted. It's about whether I think he'll pan out. And I do. In the end, if he becomes a quality starting WR, nobody will complain about grabbing him in the 3rd. Just my philosophy.

FRO

Legend
Dawson said he had an issue with tardiness. I think he has the talent to draft in the first, but teams shy away from problem child's. Fisher takes chances. Dawson would definitely be somebody worth taking a chance on.

paceram

Pro Bowler
This scenario is a little bit out there but I'm acting on some of the recent reports and I figured the fun of these is creativity.
Released
Jake Long OT
Kendall Langford DT
Scott Wells C
Eugene Sims DE
Isaiah Pead HB

Re-signed Players
Kenny Britt - 4 years $20 million($5 million first year)
Lance Kendricks - 3 years $9 million($3 million first year)
Shaun Hill - 1 year $1.5 million
Mike Person - 1 year $745,000
Cory Harkey - ERFA($645,000)
Rodney McLeod - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)

Free Agency
Jermey Parnell OT
6796722.jpg

3 years $12 million($4 million first year)

Parnell has been Dallas's swing OT the last few years and ended up starting 6 games at RT last year. He allowed 0 sacks in his 6 starts including both of Dallas's playoff games. He'd step in and compete for the RT job for us as well as giving us a legitimate swing OT as depth.

Rob Sims OG
4954328.jpg

2 years $5 million($2.5 million first year)

The Lions are expected to let Sims go as they try to rebuild their OL. Sims is 31 years old but he's started each of the 80 games in the past 5 years. He's consistent and durable which are two things we need. He'll compete with a draft pick for the starting OG job and provide quality depth.

Leger Douzable DT
med_gallery_5331_85_72722.jpg

2 years $3 million($1.5 million first year)

Douzable is a rotational DT that can step into the run stuffer role and is even capable of playing some DE if needed.

Josh Freeman QB

1 year $745,000

Freeman will have the opportunity to compete for a QB job. He's worked with Weinke before so we take a shot on his talent. If he acts out or doesn't work hard, he can go back to watching football from his couch.

Trades
St. Louis trades 1st round #10
Philadelphia trades 1st round #20, QB Nick Foles, and 4th round #20

St. Louis trades QB Sam Bradford
Cleveland trades 2nd round #11

St. Louis trades HB Zach Stacy
Indianapolis trades 6th round #29

Philadelphia decides to make their move and go all in on Mariota. They offer us this trade to get the #10 pick and then trade up with Jacksonville at #3 by offering two firsts, their 2nd this year, and their 4th next year. We value Foles as a 2nd rounder in this trade.

With Foles coming over, the Rams decide to take Cleveland up on their offer and move Bradford for a 2nd.

Indianapolis seems to like power HBs and they have multiple 6th round picks. Stacy is good at grinding out yardage and should fit in well with their HB stable.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #20 - T.J. Clemmings OG/OT Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW19rssMRFM

Analysis: Clemmings falls due to his rawness and a tough Senior bowl week. I think it'll be at least a year before Clemmings is ready to play OT in the NFL but I do think he can play OG as a rookie. He'll compete with Rob Sims for the starting OG spot. Clemmings has great physical gifts but is a raw player still learning how to play OL. That all said, he is already a devastating run blocker despite needing technical work.

Round 2 Pick #9 - A.J. Cann OG/C South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwRR2-tr_w

Analysis: This should be no surprise, I have had Cann in many of my mocks. I love his fit in our scheme and him saying that he can play Center only makes him more valuable for me. Cann might not be able to compete for the Center job this year but he'll be able to compete at OG at worst.

Round 2 Pick #11 - Paul Dawson LB Texas Christian

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3izLFsWGpY

Analysis: There have been some reports of character concerns with Paul Dawson but I'm unfazed. The guy has a great motor and is constantly moving on the field. Dawson is a top tier athlete with elite cover skills and excellent overall instincts. He'll be able to play OLB and might be Laurinaitis's heir apparent at MLB.

Round 3 Pick #8 - DeAndre Smelter WR Georgia Tech

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjlTPD4BHQo

Analysis: Maybe I could wait and get him in the fourth but I'd rather not take that risk. Smelter tore his ACL late in the year or else I think he'd be in the running to be a first round pick. He's an outstanding athlete at 6'2" 226 with massive 11 inch hands and he bullies defenders despite having only two years of experience in college football. He's a project WR but he has major upside down the road. I'd love to get him with Kenny Britt and Brian Quick.

Round 4 Pick #20 - Chaz Green OT/OG Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Ll__i8SoM

Analysis: Green hasn't gotten much hype unlike teammate D.J. Humphries but he's deserving of it. Like Humphries, he's had durability issues at UF but Green still possesses good athleticism and the power to generate movement in the running game. At 6'5" 315, he's a good fit for our PBS and is capable of providing depth at four positions. He also might be able to compete with Parnell as a rookie for that starting RT job as Green is a good pass protector with impressive range on the edge.

Round 5 Pick #9 - Donald Celiscar CB Western Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTJAbl2cbRM

Analysis: Makes me think of E.J. Gaines because he's EXTREMELY productive, experienced, and natural in coverage but is being underrated due to measurables. Great feet and hips, drives on the football extremely well, good ball-skills, willing in run support, and anticipates routes well. But he's a tad undersized and lacks great straight-line speed. Underrated player.

Round 6 Pick #29 - Josh Robinson HB Mississippi State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoxXIvwxYTo

Analysis: I had us taking him in the 3rd round 10 or so days ago but the Combine can be brutal for some players. This is a super deep and talented HB class and some guys will fall further than they should. After running a 4.7 40, Robinson will likely be one of those guys. I don't care about his 40. The guy is built at 5'8" 220, runs like a bull, and has massive hands for his size which allows him to be a very good pass catcher. Just watch him against LSU and tell me that he's a 6th round pick.

Round 6 Pick Comp - Darius Kilgo DT Maryland

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egsAK5F0Dy8

Analysis: Kilgo is a very big man at 6'4" 320 and will offer us another rotational run stopper behind Brockers, Donald, and Douzable. Kilgo needs some development on his handwork and use of leverage as he gets too high with his pad level but he's extremely stout at the POA and very strong. He played NT in Maryland's 3-4 defense. He's a project for Coach Waufle to develop.

Round 7 Pick #31 - Taylor Heinicke QB Old Dominion

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pl8yChaw9E

Analysis: We take a shot on a developmental QB. Heinicke impressed me with his ball placement, instinctual ability to find passing lanes, and willingness to climb the pocket. However, he's short(6'1"), struggles throwing over the line, and lacks a great arm. I think he has a lot in common with Chase Daniel but he's more athletic and has a slightly stronger arm. He's really surprising in how mobile and athletic he is.

Starting Line-up
QB: Nick Foles
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Rob Sims
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Jermey Parnell

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Bennie Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

Our OL is finally a deep and talented unit with our depth consisting of:
Utility: Mike Person
Utility: Chaz Green
Utility: T.J. Clemmings
OG/C: A.J. Cann
C: Demetrius Rhaney

I realize that I have zero rookie starters but that's because I don't believe in penciling in rookies for a starting job if we have a starting caliber vet. You never know how ready a guy will or won't be.

I like most your trades except for the Zac Stacy trade. I personally would rather keep him to team up with Tre Mason and Benny Cunningham than to receive a 6th round pick especially if the Rams are really going to rely more on their running game. I am not sure what happened to Stacy last season but if the Rams do want to stick to more of a running game then I think the rotation of Mason, Cunningham and Stacy would be a pretty good threesome for that plan. I have no problems with the Rams trading Stacy if they can get another quality RB in the Draft like Robinson or someone else if the Rams could get more than a 6th rounder for him (I just think Stacy is worth more to the Rams than a 6th round pick). And, I hate to say it but I really do like your Sam Bradford trade. If the Rams can get a 2nd round pick for him which would free up a lot of cap space then by all means as much as I like and respect Bradford (I just don't think the Rams can gamble on Bradford's health anymore) I would make that trade in a heartbeat! And, I also like your Nick Foles trade and Josh Freeman FA signing (A bit of a risk for signing but at that price I think it would definitely be worth that risk and if he works out he could be very good backup plan for Foles).

Athos

Legend
Too early for Smelter, specially with his injury.

Keenan Allen's injury and 40 as a result, dropped him, imo, from the 1st to 3rd round and he was a far more polished prospect coming out of college.

With all the WRs and when Smelter torn his ACL, I don't we'd have to fight off any teams to draft him in the 4th. A 2 year footballer who likely face 7-9 months rest and rehab....probably miss all of rookie camp which would be highly important to such a raw guy.

I'd say Langford in the 4th, but that 40 definitely put him gone by the 3rd at the latest.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As always @jrry32 love it my concern would be at Center I know you had the Rams signing Chiefs Center Rodney Hudson and he's now a priority for the Chiefs, but I do like him. Maybe Barrett Jones is now actually ready. Would sign up for the Foles trade today just don't see the Eagles doing it, but stranger things have happened.

thehammer

Rookie
that Foles trade might happen...

T.J. Clemmings, T, Pittsburgh: 6-4 1/2, 309. Spent three seasons at DE (six starts in 2012) before starting at RT in 2013-'14. "An athlete first," said one scout. "He has the athleticism to start. Just going to take a little bit of time. Still developing his technique, fundamentals and understanding the position." Long arms (35 1/8). Scored 15 on the Wonderlic intelligence test. Turned down offers to play basketball at Providence and Seton Hall.
A.J. Cann, G, South Carolina: 6-3, 313. Started 51 games at LG. "He has size, length, mass, toughs and he's competitive," said one scout. "He'll need a little bit of work in pass pro, and the mental part will scare you a little bit." Two-time captain. Arms were just 32 5/8. "Second round probably," another scout said. "Good player. He's got enough strength and he can move, too."

why draft Smelter in the 3rd when he will be there in the 6th?

curious have your opinion on Strong changed after his solid combine 4.44 40 and 42 vertical?
Jaelen Strong*, WR, Arizona State: 6-2, 217. Junior-college transfer caught 157 passes for 2,287 yards (14.6) and 17 TDs in two seasons for Sun Devils. "(Plays) like his last name," said one scout. "Average to above-average speed. He'll probably play early. His ceiling isn't high, but he's going to be a good, solid, starting wide receiver with good hands. Physical frame. Really good field awareness. Very good in the red zone. Just not a stretch-the-field vertical receiver. More of a short to intermediate type." Ran surprisingly fast (4.44).

FrankenRam

Starter
Josh Freeman QB

1 year $745,000

Any thoughts on what's up with Freeman? For as much good as he showed early in TB, it sure seems as though teams have been avoiding him like the plague the last year or so. It's almost as though he's been blackballed.

Unless I've missed something, I don't recall hearing any reports of him being a locker room cancer or having off the field 'issues'. So, I'm a little surprised that a team like AZ didn't at least give him a call and/or bring him in for a look-see last yr when they were so desparate for a QB.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Any thoughts on what's up with Freeman? For as much good as he showed early in TB, it sure seems as though teams have been avoiding him like the plague the last year or so. It's almost as though he's been blackballed.

Unless I've missed something, I don't recall hearing any reports of him being a locker room cancer or having off the field 'issues'. So, I'm a little surprised that a team like AZ didn't at least give him a call and/or bring him in for a look-see last yr when they were so desparate for a QB.

Last I heard, there were rumors he had a cocaine issue, aways partying and coming in late. We literally know nothing though of why he's not in the NFL.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
For me, the concern isn't about where he'll get drafted. It's about whether I think he'll pan out. And I do. In the end, if he becomes a quality starting WR, nobody will complain about grabbing him in the 3rd. Just my philosophy.
Nobody will complain 3 years from now If he pans out by then, but they certainly will till he does. Just like Quick. Still think the 3rd is way to early for him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Fate, yes, I absolutely fucking love this draft. I actually am starting to believe that Rhaney wrests the center spot from Jones, but I'd actually plug in Cann at center as the starter over Jones or Rhaney. I'm slightly disappointed that you didn't get Gilbert from Cleveland as well (to shift Tru over to the starting free safety role and get insurance for both him and Jenkins if we can't re-sign then next year). I'm going to be extremely disappointed if we go into the season with McLeod as our starting safety for a third year in a row. Can't see Kendricks re-signing with us; he'll likely go to Oakland or the Giants and start immediately for more money than we can pay him. As such, I'd be more comfortable if Harkey was signed to a three-year deal with less money than Kendricks would get, and you could draft someone like Jalston Fowler instead of Celiscar (as fullbacks - even ones as versatile and talented as Fowler - tend to sink like stones on draft day).

But otherwise? I have absolutely zero problems with this draft and offseason. I'm so giddy that you're not picking Scherff for a change that I'd give you an A+++ for that alone, I love the Cann, Dawson, and Smelter picks, and Green, Robinson, and Kilgo are very underrated players.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I like most your trades except for the Zac Stacy trade. I personally would rather keep him to team up with Tre Mason and Benny Cunningham than to receive a 6th round pick especially if the Rams are really going to rely more on their running game. I am not sure what happened to Stacy last season but if the Rams do want to stick to more of a running game then I think the rotation of Mason, Cunningham and Stacy would be a pretty good threesome for that plan. I have no problems with the Rams trading Stacy if they can get another quality RB in the Draft like Robinson or someone else if the Rams could get more than a 6th rounder for him (I just think Stacy is worth more to the Rams than a 6th round pick). And, I hate to say it but I really do like your Sam Bradford trade. If the Rams can get a 2nd round pick for him which would free up a lot of cap space then by all means as much as I like and respect Bradford (I just don't think the Rams can gamble on Bradford's health anymore) I would make that trade in a heartbeat! And, I also like your Nick Foles trade and Josh Freeman FA signing (A bit of a risk for signing but at that price I think it would definitely be worth that risk and if he works out he could be very good backup plan for Foles).

Yep. I just posted something about a Foles trade last night... I agree.

AND... I actually LIKE the idea of bringing in Josh Freeman. I think it's worth a look to find out why he's radioactive. I don't trust that coach from Rutgers. He certainly was an arsonist down here in Tampa, so it's not exactly like I trust his judgment...

What I liked about Heinicke is his ability to throw it into tight windows. Even in what little you can find of him, he's often NOT throwing to guys who are wide open like you so often see. He's throwing into tight windows. Damn, I like that. A lot.

Major props on this draft, man. I was wondering about why 2 HBs, but that bowling ball got me excited... I know I hate when our D has to face them... and no, he's not a 6th rounder, but if we got him there, I'd be stoked.

Another edit... I LOVE the Parnell pickup. I totally forgot about him. That's an excellent catch. You're absolutely right that Free went down and that OL didn't skip a beat. Only problem is that Parnell will likely be swamped with suitors. Hopefully, we can nab him...

Last edited:

Memento

Name
Jemma
curious have your opinion on Strong changed after his solid combine 4.44 40 and 42 vertical?
Jaelen Strong*, WR, Arizona State: 6-2, 217. Junior-college transfer caught 157 passes for 2,287 yards (14.6) and 17 TDs in two seasons for Sun Devils. "(Plays) like his last name," said one scout. "Average to above-average speed. He'll probably play early. His ceiling isn't high, but he's going to be a good, solid, starting wide receiver with good hands. Physical frame. Really good field awareness. Very good in the red zone. Just not a stretch-the-field vertical receiver. More of a short to intermediate type." Ran surprisingly fast (4.44).

Good fate, why would anyone touch Strong or Funchess, for that matter? They're both softer than a newborn sea otter's ass.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Good fate, why would anyone touch Strong or Funchess, for that matter? They're both softer than a newborn sea otter's ass.

I think Funchess could make a decent TE. Strong is basically a smaller version of Funchess but limited to only being a WR. No wonder he hasnt been selected yet in our draft.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I think Funchess could make a decent TE. Strong is basically a smaller version of Funchess but limited to only being a WR. No wonder he hasnt been selected yet in our draft.

Funchess is like Jared Cook, except he doesn't have a tenth of the athleticism or fire that Cook has shown on the field, he doesn't try to block even cornerbacks when he was playing wide receiver, he doesn't fight for the ball in traffic, he drops passes like he's paid to do that, he runs sloppy routes, and - like I said - he is softer than a newborn sea otter's ass. Strong, like you said, is a smaller version of Funchess.

I have Williams, Walford, James, Koyack, and Derby rated much higher than Funchess at tight end. Williams and James don't have the athleticism, Walford drops a lot of passes, Koyack is a string-bean, and Derby is raw as hell, but at least they care about their craft and at least try to fucking block.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Here's the thing... I'm thinking about this...

I think DGB is gonna sink like a stone. As is Sammy Coates. Now, I don't want anything to do with Coates who I think is a slower version of Darius Heyward-Bey... In other words... just no.

But if we get to that 2nd pick in the 2nd round and DGB is still there... I'm REALLY not sure that Fisher will be able to say no to him there and I REALLY think he will be there.

Fans may want him in the first, but several teams (Texans and Eagles) have already outright said he's on their DND list due to character concerns and word is that "the grade" on DBG is rounds 3-5. Which seems like "the league sending a message"... as they do.

Except... As much as Fisher may want to stay on board... if he's there with that 2nd pick in the 2nd round, unless the Rams are also unsatisfied with the character concerns, how do they NOT get him.

Because it's like this. The guy can FLAT OUT BALL. And once the team does the investigation, either he'll be an NFL contributor or a knucklehead. Britt has already shown that he can steer guys right. I mean look at the influence he had on Quick. And Britt would know about almost blowing HIS chance in the league.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Lots of good analysis that goes into deeper dimensions than I've thought about, especially the OL solutions. So I'll just offer my usual superficial nitpickings:

- I don't believe the Browns are interested in Bradford, I believe that is a smoke screen by his agent and bought into by idiot bleacher report. Further, there is no reason for the Rams to trade him. Fisher and Rams are consistently behind Bradford. Heck they even include Bradford in their OC and QB coach hirings. I just can't see any scenario where they part ways at this point. The only possible way they part at this point is if Bradford completely stonewalls any salary cap restructure and it becomes publicly ugly. And even then I see Fisher sticking with him.

Also, I do not believe any team will trade for a guy coming off 2 years of injury at a $13 million cap number. Now, one could say of course a team trading for him as a condition would restructure that cap hit as part of a trade -- but that is a vicious circle of logic... If Bradford's willing to restructure, it gets rid of the only motivation the Rams have to part with him. He would restructure with the Rams and there would be no need to trade him.

- Releasing Sims is interesting, don't think I've seen that mentioned elsewhere. I think the Rams like him enough to convert his salary to a more cap-friendly form (if needed) and keep him around. They like him in case Hayes is injured. I expect Westbrooks to pass Sims for playing time, and Sims becomes the Carrington of next season.

- I agree with Memento that Hendricks is gone. In addition to other teams bidding more on him, Bayer auditioned for his spot last season and showed enough for the Rams to feel comfortable giving him a shot as the #2 receiving TE. And I totally agree the late draft (or undrafted FA) focus should be adding a fullback rather than a blocking TE. They already have Harkey, so if the Rams want to go big they can put Harkey inline, and have a true lead back.

- I also agree with Memento that McLeod should not be the starting FS, but agree he should be signed as a special teams star. Hope Joyner can beat him out.

- I do not want Shaun Hill back no matter what. Going into the preseason with Bradford, Foles, Freeman (bleh) and your developmental QB would be enough to see what shakes out, don't need Hill. We already know Hill is not good enough to win.