Jrry32 New Look Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This mock is definitely a different take than many of my recent ones. As usual, this is what I would do if I were making the decisions rather than me trying to guess what the Rams will do.
Re-sign
Joe Barksdale RT

Trades
St. Louis trades 1st round #10
Baltimore trades 1st round #26, 2nd round #26, and 4th round #23

The top 10 goes in the direction we don't want it to go which leaves us sitting at #10 with Mariota, Winston, Cooper, and White all off the board. The Rams are willing to give the Ravens a discount in their trade up because there isn't an ideal fit for them at #10. The Ravens move up in the draft for DeVante Parker who they are having in for a visit and covet. They have three fourths and three fifths so they can afford to give up a couple of picks to move up.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #26 - Cameron Erving C/OG/OT Florida State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-CJ0URg4is

Analysis: Erving is a versatile OL with ideal size for our scheme. As a rookie, he'll compete for one of the starting spots on the interior but if he's not ready, he provides valuable depth as a player who can play any of the 5 spots on the OL. Erving showed tremendous talent and potential at Center once he was moved inside in 2014. He possesses the talent to be one of the league's best Center especially in a PBS like ours as he's a very talented run blocker. Erving still needs development and may need some time mentally to catch up to a NFL scheme but he should be an outstanding Center for this team sooner or later.

Round 2 Pick #9 - Garrett Grayson QB Colorado State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZz0Sg8qMs

Analysis: Here's a big surprise for everyone. I went back and watched more film on Grayson and definitely have changed my mind on how I feel about him. He's my #3 QB in the draft and I feel he has the potential to be a starter at the next level. His arm strength isn't elite but it's definitely adequate. The three things that really sold me on him were his pocket presence, his consistent ball placement, and his anticipation on NFL type throws. He dealt with a lot of pressure in college and handled it well. He can feel pressure and does a nice job of sliding in the pocket to create space while keeping his eyes down-field and remaining poised. His ball placement and decision making were both very consistent. He'll take some chances but he knows when he needs to throw it away. The thing that stood out to me was seeing him begin his throwing motion on out routes before his WR had even began to breakdown and cut. That's NFL level anticipation and timing. The two biggest issues I saw with Grayson are that he needs to be more deceptive with his eyes as he'll stare down targets at times and he needs to do a better job of lofting the ball over the LOS when he doesn't have a lane as he gets a lot of passes deflected at the LOS. Grayson's physical tools aren't outstanding as his height(6'2.5"), arm strength, and mobility are fairly average but he's a polished passer coming from a pro style offense that appears to me to have the accuracy, instincts, decision making, and mental acuity to be an effective starter at the NFL level.

Round 2 Pick #26 - Laken Tomlinson OG Duke

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ovMbQnY7I

Analysis: Some might feel that Tomlinson won't last this long and there's a possibility of that but guys like him tend to drop into this range in the draft (see: Gabe Jackson and Larry Warford). Tomlinson needs to keep his weight under control but he should be a solid to good OG at the NFL level. I don't think he's Warford good. Tomlinson is a better run blocker at this stage than a pass protector. He can struggle at times in pass pro against ultra quick interior rushers with good hand use but Tomlinson does show quick feet (he's a dancing bear), active hands, and a strong anchor. He's much more of a puncher than a grabber and I'm hopeful that Boudreau can teach him to lock on better rather than try to duke it out with his man (no pun intended). As a run blocker, Tomlinson doesn't dominate in the way I think he should but he's steady and reliable. He'll be a good fit in our PBS although he's not a guy that will be pulling too often.

Round 3 Pick #8 - Paul Dawson LB Texas Christian

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3izLFsWGpY

Analysis: There's also a possibility that Dawson does not fall this far but with all of the character concerns surrounding him at TCU, his terrible combine workout, and the appearance that he wasn't in shape for the combine...I could definitely see him falling this far on draft day. Dawson has exceptional film and is a true playmaker on defense with amazing instincts. He's not a guy that will ever run through or over blockers but he's very good at sifting through traffic and slipping off blocks to make tackles. He needs to reign in the free-lancing as I doubt Gregg Williams will stand for that but the guy is just always around the football and really looks great in coverage. While Dawson ran poorly at the combine, he plays fast and that's what matters.

Round 4 Pick #20 - DeAndre Smelter WR Georgia Tech

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjlTPD4BHQo

Analysis: Smelter is one of my favorite sleeper prospects in this draft. At 6'2" 225, he boasts a large frame and massive 11" hands. Smelter is a former baseball player that was forced to retire from the sport due to a shoulder problem. He's only played two years of college football but really stood out in 2014. Smelter still has a lot of developing to do but his physical tools are apparent when you watch him play. He's very agile for a man his size with the straight-line speed to run by corners at the next level. Smelter also has a feisty attitude and will create separation with physicality which is great to see in a young WR with his size. Smelter is recovering from a torn ACL which is the only reason why he won't be a Day 1 or Day 2 pick this year.

Round 4 Pick #23 - Josh Robinson HB Mississippi State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f05pZn-Fi1s

Analysis: The Combine can be brutal for some players. This is a super deep and talented HB class and some guys will fall further than they should. After running a 4.7 40, Robinson will likely be one of those guys. I don't care about his 40. The guy is built at 5'8" 220, runs like a bull, and has massive hands for his size which allows him to be a very good pass catcher. Just watch him against LSU and tell me that he's a 6th round pick.

Round 6 Pick #40 - Donald Celiscar CB/S Western Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTJAbl2cbRM

Analysis: Makes me think of E.J. Gaines because he's EXTREMELY productive, experienced, and natural in coverage but is being underrated due to measurables. Great feet and hips, drives on the football extremely well, good ball-skills, willing in run support, and anticipates routes well. But he's a tad undersized and lacks great straight-line speed. Underrated player.

Round 7 Pick #31 - Chaz Green OT/OG Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Si2-lh7A4

Analysis: Green hasn't gotten much hype unlike teammate D.J. Humphries but he's deserving of it. Like Humphries, he's had durability issues at UF but Green still possesses good athleticism and the power to generate movement in the running game. At 6'5" 315, he's a good fit for our PBS and is capable of providing depth at four positions.

Starting Line-up
QB: Nick Foles
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Laken Tomlinson
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Bennie Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Its hard to argue against this mock really. I would rather go with Foles and grab a QB next year if Foles doesnt work out, but dont hate the grabbing of Grayson, just hate grabbing him in the 2nd. Like the O-line picks. Love Dawson but still doubt he falls that far. I see you are still on the Smelter and Robinson bandwagon(at least you didnt have us taking Smelter in the 3rd this time :sneaky:). 6th and 7th rounders are good choices for late rounders.

I give it a B+. Really solid and fills some good needs, but just feels like it is lacking at some point, havent put my finger on it but sure I will at some point.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Funnily enough, the guy that Grayson most reminds me of is a guy that Rams fans remember well...Marc Bulger.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Funnily enough, the guy that Grayson most reminds me of is a guy that Rams fans remember well...Marc Bulger.

I agree with that comparison. I like the draft. The trade makes sense for both teams. I actually thought Etving could be Baltimores pick at 26. I really don't like taking any of these QBs in round2 but realize that it is the only way to get them.
I like all of the picks though and if it fell this way they would be good value where taken.

Athos

Legend
I would love this if not for Grayson.

I'll look, but it is a pick that just reeks of desperation to me.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Like the draft, but it's a head scratchier that their first pick is Cam Erving and he does not start? Other than that I like draft and concur with you @jrry32 DeAndre Smelter that would be huge value in the 4th.

And BTW not that it means much, but Jim Thomas and company will kill the regime for sitting their first round pick, but they are going to kill them regardless.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I agree with Athos, love the picks but I wonder if Dawson would be there at that slot. I have been high on Tomlinson for a while, got to see him quite a bit in the ACC.

Can't get behind the Grayson pick though. He has guts but that is about the only good thing I can say about him. Every time I watch him I see average. Haven't seen anything that indicates he will succeed at the next level but that's just me lol.

FRO

Legend
Sign me up. I think this draft may be fairly close to what actually happens. Grayson reminds me a bit of Bradford. The ball placement and accuracy is nice. He doesn't have as strong of arm as Bradford, but it's good enough to make all the throws. Arm strength usually gets overrated this time of year. I think Grayson's arm strength is in the same ball park as Bulger's and Foles. That's good enough.

I really like Erving. Think he is a probowl C. Look what Fredricks did for Dallas. Would love to have a stud C once and for all. He and Tomlison are great fits.

I really want a developmental WR like Smelter. We don't know if Britt will relapse or Quick will ever heal properly after injury. Having a guy like Smelter just in case to develop is nice.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree with Athos, love the picks but I wonder if Dawson would be there at that slot. I have been high on Tomlinson for a while, got to see him quite a bit in the ACC.

Can't get behind the Grayson pick though. He has guts but that is about the only good thing I can say about him. Every time I watch him I see average. Haven't seen anything that indicates he will succeed at the next level but that's just me lol.
Its funny how it is. I can see more things that make me think he will be successful than a guy like Hundley.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would love this draft.
I like Erving a lot.
I am glad you've come around on Grayson. This is the QB I want the Rams to draft. He may not be the top QB for me....but, the Rams have larger needs and in terms of value I think he will be the best value pick (for where he is picked) at QB. In other words, balancing potential, where they are now and where they would have to be drafted, Grayson is better value to me than Mariotta or Hundely.

Athos

Legend

I have this feeling, well for most QBs after Mariota/Winston, that you're going to be drafting backup QBs the rest of the way. Grayson may be a guy who can stick around in the NFL for 10 years, but he'd never really start for a winning team.

I'd rather just roll all my dice on Foles being the guy (or a 2016 coming around) and either maxing out on the O-line by adding Cann to Laken (or Humphries if he lasts into the 2nd) or going with the best CB left. That Byron kid with the ridiculous combine maybe?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This mock is definitely a different take than many of my recent ones. As usual, this is what I would do if I were making the decisions rather than me trying to guess what the Rams will do.
Re-sign
Joe Barksdale RT

Trades
St. Louis trades 1st round #10
Baltimore trades 1st round #26, 2nd round #26, and 4th round #23

The top 10 goes in the direction we don't want it to go which leaves us sitting at #10 with Mariota, Winston, Cooper, and White all off the board. The Rams are willing to give the Ravens a discount in their trade up because there isn't an ideal fit for them at #10. The Ravens move up in the draft for DeVante Parker who they are having in for a visit and covet. They have three fourths and three fifths so they can afford to give up a couple of picks to move up.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #26 - Cameron Erving C/OG/OT Florida State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-CJ0URg4is

Analysis: Erving is a versatile OL with ideal size for our scheme. As a rookie, he'll compete for one of the starting spots on the interior but if he's not ready, he provides valuable depth as a player who can play any of the 5 spots on the OL. Erving showed tremendous talent and potential at Center once he was moved inside in 2014. He possesses the talent to be one of the league's best Center especially in a PBS like ours as he's a very talented run blocker. Erving still needs development and may need some time mentally to catch up to a NFL scheme but he should be an outstanding Center for this team sooner or later.

Round 2 Pick #9 - Garrett Grayson QB Colorado State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZz0Sg8qMs

Analysis: Here's a big surprise for everyone. I went back and watched more film on Grayson and definitely have changed my mind on how I feel about him. He's my #3 QB in the draft and I feel he has the potential to be a starter at the next level. His arm strength isn't elite but it's definitely adequate. The three things that really sold me on him were his pocket presence, his consistent ball placement, and his anticipation on NFL type throws. He dealt with a lot of pressure in college and handled it well. He can feel pressure and does a nice job of sliding in the pocket to create space while keeping his eyes down-field and remaining poised. His ball placement and decision making were both very consistent. He'll take some chances but he knows when he needs to throw it away. The thing that stood out to me was seeing him begin his throwing motion on out routes before his WR had even began to breakdown and cut. That's NFL level anticipation and timing. The two biggest issues I saw with Grayson are that he needs to be more deceptive with his eyes as he'll stare down targets at times and he needs to do a better job of lofting the ball over the LOS when he doesn't have a lane as he gets a lot of passes deflected at the LOS. Grayson's physical tools aren't outstanding as his height(6'2.5"), arm strength, and mobility are fairly average but he's a polished passer coming from a pro style offense that appears to me to have the accuracy, instincts, decision making, and mental acuity to be an effective starter at the NFL level.

Round 2 Pick #26 - Laken Tomlinson OG Duke

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ovMbQnY7I

Analysis: Some might feel that Tomlinson won't last this long and there's a possibility of that but guys like him tend to drop into this range in the draft (see: Gabe Jackson and Larry Warford). Tomlinson needs to keep his weight under control but he should be a solid to good OG at the NFL level. I don't think he's Warford good. Tomlinson is a better run blocker at this stage than a pass protector. He can struggle at times in pass pro against ultra quick interior rushers with good hand use but Tomlinson does show quick feet (he's a dancing bear), active hands, and a strong anchor. He's much more of a puncher than a grabber and I'm hopeful that Boudreau can teach him to lock on better rather than try to duke it out with his man (no pun intended). As a run blocker, Tomlinson doesn't dominate in the way I think he should but he's steady and reliable. He'll be a good fit in our PBS although he's not a guy that will be pulling too often.

Round 3 Pick #8 - Paul Dawson LB Texas Christian

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3izLFsWGpY

Analysis: There's also a possibility that Dawson does not fall this far but with all of the character concerns surrounding him at TCU, his terrible combine workout, and the appearance that he wasn't in shape for the combine...I could definitely see him falling this far on draft day. Dawson has exceptional film and is a true playmaker on defense with amazing instincts. He's not a guy that will ever run through or over blockers but he's very good at sifting through traffic and slipping off blocks to make tackles. He needs to reign in the free-lancing as I doubt Gregg Williams will stand for that but the guy is just always around the football and really looks great in coverage. While Dawson ran poorly at the combine, he plays fast and that's what matters.

Round 4 Pick #20 - DeAndre Smelter WR Georgia Tech

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjlTPD4BHQo

Analysis: Smelter is one of my favorite sleeper prospects in this draft. At 6'2" 225, he boasts a large frame and massive 11" hands. Smelter is a former baseball player that was forced to retire from the sport due to a shoulder problem. He's only played two years of college football but really stood out in 2014. Smelter still has a lot of developing to do but his physical tools are apparent when you watch him play. He's very agile for a man his size with the straight-line speed to run by corners at the next level. Smelter also has a feisty attitude and will create separation with physicality which is great to see in a young WR with his size. Smelter is recovering from a torn ACL which is the only reason why he won't be a Day 1 or Day 2 pick this year.

Round 4 Pick #23 - Josh Robinson HB Mississippi State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f05pZn-Fi1s

Analysis: The Combine can be brutal for some players. This is a super deep and talented HB class and some guys will fall further than they should. After running a 4.7 40, Robinson will likely be one of those guys. I don't care about his 40. The guy is built at 5'8" 220, runs like a bull, and has massive hands for his size which allows him to be a very good pass catcher. Just watch him against LSU and tell me that he's a 6th round pick.

Round 6 Pick #40 - Donald Celiscar CB/S Western Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTJAbl2cbRM

Analysis: Makes me think of E.J. Gaines because he's EXTREMELY productive, experienced, and natural in coverage but is being underrated due to measurables. Great feet and hips, drives on the football extremely well, good ball-skills, willing in run support, and anticipates routes well. But he's a tad undersized and lacks great straight-line speed. Underrated player.

Round 7 Pick #31 - Chaz Green OT/OG Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Si2-lh7A4

Analysis: Green hasn't gotten much hype unlike teammate D.J. Humphries but he's deserving of it. Like Humphries, he's had durability issues at UF but Green still possesses good athleticism and the power to generate movement in the running game. At 6'5" 315, he's a good fit for our PBS and is capable of providing depth at four positions.

Starting Line-up
QB: Nick Foles
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Laken Tomlinson
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Bennie Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

I like what you did, But I just can't see going after a QB in the 2nd round, under these circumstances.
And I REALLY prefer Saffold play at RG not LG. JMHO

…..

Legend
I like your approach to the QB position, going early for Greyson, a guy that brings reasonable and legitimate expectations and at a time when he can be developed and not pressed.Getting away from undrafted rookie hopes is fine with me.

You're lite on defense but the two you target address needs so no complaints.

I really really like that you pencil in Barrett Jones at center and though not everyone agrees, I'm comepletely comfortable going in to the year with him.

I hadto reach to find something to disagree with in the mock, and i finally settled on Smelter. Great athletisism yet I'm worried about his route running and then there is this; We spent time developing Danario, then Brian Quick, and to some extent Tavon Austin. I'm a little weary of drafting WR's that need so much time to develop and clearly Smelter is a known project going in.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I like it. Erving is my must get guy. I like the Tomlinson get too. My problem with this scenario is that I feel other teams are warming to Erving as well so I doubt he lasts that long. What then? I realize you have him slightly above draftnik rankings. I did a mock where I had us moving into the teens for him. My scenario was dependent on two trades though...

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I have this feeling, well for most QBs after Mariota/Winston, that you're going to be drafting backup QBs the rest of the way. Grayson may be a guy who can stick around in the NFL for 10 years, but he'd never really start for a winning team.

I'd rather just roll all my dice on Foles being the guy (or a 2016 coming around) and either maxing out on the O-line by adding Cann to Laken (or Humphries if he lasts into the 2nd) or going with the best CB left. That Byron kid with the ridiculous combine maybe?

Couldn't agree more. This class looks like a bunch of career back ups. If I'm looking at a development QB I like Fajardo who was discussed in another thread or Hutson Mason from Georgia. Both could be had after the 5th and IMO may have more "upside".

When a class for a certain position is so weak there is a tendency to overrate certain players to justify a need.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I like it. Erving is my must get guy. I like the Tomlinson get too. My problem with this scenario is that I feel other teams are warming to Erving as well so I doubt he lasts that long. What then? I realize you have him slightly above draftnik rankings. I did a mock where I had us moving into the teens for him. My scenario was dependent on two trades though...

Agree on Erving, I can see him going before 20. He would be a great fit for the Rams

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Trading down makes a qb in the second more appealing to me. I'm completely confused by every qb after MM and Winston. It's frustrating. (I really need to try to watch more college ball next year)

I have a difficult time giving up our second rnd pick on a raw player when we need oline help asap. (If we stay at 10, that is). I am convinced we need to move down in this draft if we don't have a shot at MM.
This formula works for me.