Jrry32 Mock Off-Season Numero Uno

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Yea, I've been beginning to feel the same. Been looking around to see what other options are out there.

I'd definitely love to hear anything you have on Gallik. I caught onto him recently and turned a couple of games on. Liked what I saw so I threw him on here. Liked him better than Grassu. For whatever reason, Grassu just didn't stand out on film to me. I thought Gallik looked more athletic and more powerful.

Here is what I have heard on Gallik, super smart and always in the film room. Eats, breathes and sleeps football. Has a mean streak, but solid character prospect.

What I have seen this year: very good at picking up inside blitzes and reads and anticipates what the defense is doing (might be his best strength), anchors well and has active hands when engaged and continues to punish and not let defenders into his frame. When he is engaged with a defender although he doesn't bury players like a Greg Robinson, he maintains his blocks to the whistle and on occasion after the whistle but not in a Richie Incognito type of way lol.

He does a good job getting to the 2nd level but needs to improve getting into players. Too many times I have seen him miss or not block players. Murphy and Jonathan Hillimans ability to make defenders miss. He need to loosen up the hips I think but he has improved year over year with this.

Overall: I love this kids toughness and smarts. Most importantly he is a football player who loves the game and is always looking to improve. Great attitude and another tough guy attitude to pair with Robinson.

I would rate him above Grasu for the Rams. Grasu is a better athlete and unlike Gallik excels at getting to the 2nd level and picking up blocks, I do think Grasu could be limited to a ZBS only though. Grasu is going to struggle against 3-4 defenses, he can not man block on a NFL NT imo.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is the first mock I've put together on here(I think). I ran the salary cap numbers and did my best with the draft. Don't promise everyone will love it but it's just the way I'm leaning right now.
Restructure
Sam Bradford - 2 years $16 million($13 million guaranteed...Full $8 million first year base and $5 million of the second year base)
Total Cap Savings: $4.9 million
Total Cap Room: $9.4 million

Released
Jake Long - $8 million in cap savings
Kendall Langford - $6 million in cap savings
Scott Wells - $3.8 million in cap savings
Eugene Sims - $1.9 million in cap savings
Isaiah Pead - $900,000 in cap savings
Total Cap Savings: $20.6 million
Total Cap Room: $30 million

Re-signed Players
Joe Barksdale - 5 years $30 million($5 million first year)
Kenny Britt - 1 year $2 million
Lance Kendricks - 2 years $6 million($3 million first year)
Alex Carrington - 1 year $1.5 million
Cory Harkey - ERFA($645,000)
Austin Davis - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Tim Barnes - RFA($1.4 million - Original round)
Johnny Hekker - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Rodney McLeod - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Total Cap Spent: $17.7 million
Total Cap Room: $13.3 million

The Bradford deal takes the near $13 million base and guarantees it but spreads it out over two seasons with the addition of $3 million. I think it's a win-win. It's about what Bradford's market value would be, he gets the guarantees in order to accept a pay cut, and the Rams keep their QB. We all want to win next year and Bradford gives us our best chance. He knows the system and is a veteran QB. We know he's a solid starter at worst that plays well in clutch moments and doesn't turn the ball over a lot. But Bradford is only Plan A, trust me, there's a Plan B in case of injury.

The other re-signings are pretty standard. I want to keep Britt for another year but I'm not willing to give him a longer term deal. Kendricks is a valuable role player for us. Barksdale is a solid starter at RT. And the rest all have important roles on the team.

Free Agency

Marcus-Cannon-Patriots.jpg

Marcus Cannon OT/OG New England Patriots
2 years $5 million($2 million first year)

Rams need depth on the OL. Cannon isn't a quality starter but he's not a major liability as depth. With Saffold's injury history, we need to be prepared for the worst. That is one major issue we've had, we just haven't had quality depth behind our starters on the OL.

a_leger_300.jpg

Leger Douzable DT New York Jets
2 years $4 million($2 million first year)

I think that the DT rotation is extremely important. Douzable is a solid rotational DT that has done well for himself in New York. With Kendall Langford departing, the Rams need to replace him in the rotation. Will Hayes can still contribute some at DT but having Douzable and Carrington will take some of the pressure off of Hayes.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #10 - TRADE - Cleveland trades #22, 2nd, 4th, and 6th
Analysis:
Cleveland moves up due to them having the extra first and fourth from Buffalo which gives them flexibility. The Rams get back the picks they gave up for Barron. With Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota off the board, the Rams decide that they'd rather grab the extra picks.

Round 1 Pick #22 - Brett Hundley QB UCLA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pIRtnLOnU8

Analysis: I have been hard on Hundley but I want to backtrack a bit from my stance on him. With Bradford coming back, I'm willing to take a shot on Hundley in the late 1st or early 2nd. Hundley has all the tools at 6'3" 230 with a strong arm and great mobility. He has shown improved pocket movement and awareness this year. He plays in an offense that asks him to go through progressions, utilizes a pro style route tree, and asks him to throw timing patterns. Hundley has a tendency to drop his eyes when pressured and holds the ball too long. However, I think these are fixable issues if he gets time on the bench. Having Sam buys us time to develop the immensely talented Hundley and if Sam does get injured, Hundley gives us a legitimate option off the bench.

Round 2 Pick #10 - A.J. Cann OG South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkUVV9lv_dg

Analysis: If you think the big boys on the OL are as important as I do, this is a pick that'll knock your socks off. The only reason why Cann slips out of the first round is that he's a pure OG that lacks great athleticism. Cann's doesn't have outstanding feet or lateral movement. However, that does not hinder him because he's so adept at identifying targets on the move, reading the defense, and getting a hat on his man. He's extremely technically sound with the strength and leg drive to move defenders off the LOS and put them on their back. Cann also is one of the best I've seen at maintaining leverage as an OL despite his 6'3"/6'4" size. He shoots off the ball low and gets underneath defenders. When pass blocking, he sits back in his stance comfortably with easy bend at the knees and hips. He's very difficult to move with a bull-rush and is very active and aggressive with his hands. He needs to get quicker off the LOS and has some issues with quick DTs that get skinny when pass blocking. He also needs to keep his head up as he gets a tad over-aggressive as a pass blocker. Still, this guy is a plug and play NFL LG and a great overall prospect. He demolishes people in the running game.

Round 2 Pick #22 - Duke Johnson HB Miami

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I8vr-MLtB0

Analysis: I know what people are thinking...why are we drafting a HB? I like Bennie, Tre, and Stacy. However, I also think that you have to take talent when it's available. I recall hearing during the Arizona game that the Rams are the most run heavy team in the NFL in the first half of games. It's clear we want to establish a running game. Duke Johnson would be a first round HB in a lot of classes. It just so happens that this year might be the most stacked HB class in a LONG time. HBs tend to fall on draft day and Johnson is a tad undersized at 5'9" 205. There are also some questions about his durability. Johnson seems like the perfect guy to pair up with Mason to keep both of them fresh and healthy. Johnson is an explosive runner with breakaway speed, surprising power for his size(rarely goes down on first contact), and the wiggle to make defenders miss in the open field. He also has good hands out of the back-field. This guy is a threat to take it to the house any time he touches it. Plus, the guy is an explosive and dangerous kick returner.

Round 3 Pick #10 - Andy Gallik C Boston College
Analysis:
Tough Center and a tenacious run blocker with active, powerful hands. Gallik isn't the type to blow people off the ball but he does a good job of getting enough push and using his angles to open up running lanes in the middle. He shows the lateral agility and burst to be dangerous as a pulling blocker but needs to improve his angles in space as well as his ability to locate targets as he has a tendency to overrun his angles when pulling which makes it difficult for him to get that crushing block on the second level. As a pass protector, he's still a work in progress. He needs improve his punch timing and mechanics. Has a tendency to not fully extend and let defenders into his body but he has a wide base, a strong lower body, and good balance. Needs to improve his upper body strength which should also help him as a run blocker. There's some development here but I really like his attitude and ability in the run game as well as his lateral agility.

Round 4 Pick #22 - Vince Mayle WR Washington State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELVbbH8r0-Q

Analysis: Some of you might not like us taking another developmental WR but as I said with the Duke Johnson pick, it's all about collecting talent. Here's the story on Vince Mayle...he played HB in high school but decided to play basketball at the JUCO level instead of football. Returned to football in 2012 at the JUCO level before transferring to WSU before the 2013 season. In 2013, the 6'3" 240 pound Mayle played TE for WSU and caught 7 TDs in his first year out of JUCO. This year, WSU asked him to drop 20 pounds and play WR for them. He did and has responded with 86 catches, 1152 yards, and 9 TDs on the year. Mayle is just starting to come into his own and I want to see what he can develop into. I think like with Quick, Kenny Britt can help teach this big WR how to impose his will on the field physically. Typically, I stay away from players who have had some drop issues like Mayle has this year but I'm willing to take the chance here. I think his athletic upside makes him well worth the pick in the 3rd/4th round. We're talking about a 6'3" 220 pound WR that looks like he glides on the field due to his light, quick feet(basketball) and his impressive top-end speed. I want to remember that THIS GUY was playing TE last year:

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11644153

Round 5 Pick #10 - Jordan Hicks OLB Texas

Round 6 Pick #22 - Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE UCLA

Round 7 Pick #10 - Kenny Williams HB/LB/ST Texas Tech

Starting Line-up
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: A.J. Cann
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

I like what you've done, except don't you think your letting too much depth, from the D-Line, go by releasing Langford and Sims!?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like what you've done, except don't you think your letting too much depth, from the D-Line, go by releasing Langford and Sims!?

I don't think so. Depth is important to me but Langford and Sims are replaced by Douzable and Odi.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Why and where's your proof? Gaines shut down premiere WR talent in both the Big 12 and the SEC and did it in the ridiculously dumb secondary scheme of Mizzou where their lack of talent in the backfield was glaringly slim.

And he's a rookie. Not many rookies just go out and shutdown the top WRs who've been in the league a long time. Regardless, Gaines doesn't play like a rookie and is probably our best all round CB right now.
Watching the game film shows me he doesn't have the quickness or foot placement of Janoris. But, I am willing to be wrong; after this weekend, I will follow up on this.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watching the game film shows me he doesn't have the quickness or foot placement of Janoris. But, I am willing to be wrong; after this weekend, I will follow up on this.

No, I agree with you completely. I think Janoris would be the better slot CB. When I listed Gaines there, I meant that more as he'd come in with 3 WR sets...not necessarily that he'd play the slot. Would have been more clear if I had put NCB(nickel CB). My mistake.

fearsomefour

Legend
Interesting.
I don't like Hundley, so, not too interested in him. I like the D a lot and I agree with having a deep DT rotation. I was convinced (still way early and I reserve the right to change course about a dozen times) with drafting a LB in the first round....I like the Spur position with Barron....makes total sense. I like going G with Cann in the second.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I haven't done much draft review yet, but as far as cuts and resignings I agree with most. But Sims is worth every penny of his contract, and a cheap one at that. Wouldn't cut him. I'd also like for Langford to return, but would prefer a restructure. Also I wouldn't mind resigning Hill in addition to Davis.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
@jrry32 How would you change your mock based on the info we got on BQ?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 How would you change your mock based on the info we got on BQ?

BQ as in Brian Quick? I'll put something out in the next couple days. Still going back and forth over Hundley. Want to resolve that in my mind first.

I don't think it would change much for me on the Quick front.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
BQ as in Brian Quick? I'll put something out in the next couple days. Still going back and forth over Hundley. Want to resolve that in my mind first.

I don't think it would change much for me on the Quick front.
Yeah, Brian Quick, and his total shoulder reconstruction. For me, it changes things a little. Honestly, he might never come back from that the same, and we don't even know how good he was.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, Brian Quick, and his total shoulder reconstruction. For me, it changes things a little. Honestly, he might never come back from that the same, and we don't even know how good he was.

That's true. But I'm really big on value either ways. So in the end, I don't see it really affecting what I do. If I really love a WR, I would take him Quick injury or no injury. Plus, I really don't know the long term ramifications of it all like the Rams do.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 mocking us:
This is the first mock I've put together on here(I think). I ran the salary cap numbers and did my best with the draft. Don't promise everyone will love it but it's just the way I'm leaning right now.

Released
Kendall Langford - $6 million in cap savings
You've probably already talked about this in this thread but I only just found this place and that's only because @Mojo Ram posted a link. :LOL: I'm not gonna read all the posts right now but I just wanted to understand why you don't think we need to try and restructure Langford and keep him in the rotation? I've never been a fan of his but after slow starts he seems to come on some. I'ts kind of hard to get a good DT isn't it? Plus it usually takes them so ling to develop. So that's me but what's your rationale?

Great job on your mock BTW! (y)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You've probably already talked about this in this thread but I only just found this place and that's only because @Mojo Ram posted a link. :LOL: I'm not gonna read all the posts right now but I just wanted to understand why you don't think we need to try and restructure Langford and keep him in the rotation? I've never been a fan of his but after slow starts he seems to come on some. I'ts kind of hard to get a good DT isn't it? Plus it usually takes them so ling to develop. So that's me but what's your rationale?

Great job on your mock BTW! (y)

Eh. I don't know if he will. Guess we could try but Mosley is a good run stopper.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 from out of the blue:
Eh. I don't know if he will. Guess we could try but Mosley is a good run stopper.
Who's Mosley? I couldn't find him in your mock.

Win1-4Ned

Rookie
I don't suppose we could draft Winston and call dibs on his teammate Ramsey for next year, too?

Alan

Legend
jrry32 having trouble remembering:
Approximately 739.4.
I used to have trouble making up my mind too. Then my daughter hit me in the head with her soccer ball and I've been fine ever since. Catching coconuts in your sombrero works too if you're not quick enough.

Win1-4Ned wanting a twofer:
I don't suppose we could draft Winston and call dibs on his teammate Ramsey for next year, too?
Can we just take Ramsey and forget about Winston?