Jrry32 Mock Off-Season Numero Uno

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
Marcus Murphy just doesn't approach Duke Johnson as a prospect. Johnson is a guy that you can pair with Mason and have a lethal two headed monster at HB.

Respectfully disagree. If Mizzou played in the god-awful conference that is ACC football, his numbers would be even better. Murphy has singlehandedly won MU games this year because their offense has been so putrid both as a runner and as a STer.

Maybe I'm a MM homer, but he's a far better than you think he is. He did break Jeremy Maclin's record for return scores earlier this year. He is smaller than Johnson, but he's faster and quicker and more elusive. Won't break the tackles, but meh.

I'm about value. And I just don't see it with a RB in the 2nd unless it's a premiere talent like Yeldon, Gurley, Gordon.

Though really, my preference is the 2nd anyway is stud lineman or stud linebacker. ;)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good mock.

I don't see a need to spend a high pick at Running Back. Not at all.

We've shown, as have other teams, the ability to find quality players at this position much later.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd be pleased with this draft if it happened. Mayle is a talented wideout, and A.J. Cann definitely reminds me of Warford. I have no issues with grabbing a center to push Jones, Barnes, and Rhaney, so I like the Gallik pick. Hundley is a good option, even though I think he goes top fifteen. I also love the starting defense going into next year, although I do believe that we need more depth at cornerback.

The only problem I have with your draft is Duke Johnson. While I agree that you need to stockpile talent wherever you can find it, I can't help but think that using a second round pick on a running back when the Rams have Mason, Stacy, Cunningham, Austin, and Watts all taking carries is overkill. I personally would switch Johnson with the best defensive end available, especially since Long and Hayes both turn thirty and since you're cutting Sims. While Westbrooks has been impressive in limited action, he hasn't fully proven himself yet. Plus Odighizuwa has had serious injury problems in the past.

Beyond Mason, which of those guys is a game changing talent? Austin isn't a HB. We are no longer at the point where we have a lot of holes to fill in the starting lineup. So, I think we should be looking to upgrade. Mason looks like a talented kid but he's not Adrian Peterson. I think we need a HB to pair with him. Johnson is a potential great player. We need more explosive and dangerous players on offense. Johnson can be that.

I think we're pretty solid at DE. Quinn, Long, Hayes, Westbrook, and Odi. I really like Odi. He reminds me a lot of Hayes. Yes, he's had injury issues which is why he'll be there in the later rounds but he's so powerful and explosive. Needs to improve his hand usage but Waufle can help him with that. I really like his upside for us and I feel good about our depth.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good mock.

I don't see a need to spend a high pick at Running Back. Not at all.

We've shown, as have other teams, the ability to find quality players at this position much later.

I don't agree.

Respectfully disagree. If Mizzou played in the god-awful conference that is ACC football, his numbers would be even better. Murphy has singlehandedly won MU games this year because their offense has been so putrid both as a runner and as a STer.

Maybe I'm a MM homer, but he's a far better than you think he is. He did break Jeremy Maclin's record for return scores earlier this year. He is smaller than Johnson, but he's faster and quicker and more elusive. Won't break the tackles, but meh.

I'm about value. And I just don't see it with a RB in the 2nd unless it's a premiere talent like Yeldon, Gurley, Gordon.

Though really, my preference is the 2nd anyway is stud lineman or stud linebacker. ;)

I've seen a lot of Marcus Murphy. He's not faster, quicker, or more elusive than Johnson(and that's not an indictment of Murphy). Johnson matches him in those categories while having better tackle breaking ability and better vision.

Murphy isn't a bad player but he's more of a #2 HB with special teams value.

Melvin Gordon and Todd Gurley are long gone in the 2nd. I'd draft either in a heartbeat. I wouldn't touch Yeldon.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Beyond Mason, which of those guys is a game changing talent? Austin isn't a HB. We are no longer at the point where we have a lot of holes to fill in the starting lineup. So, I think we should be looking to upgrade. Mason looks like a talented kid but he's not Adrian Peterson. I think we need a HB to pair with him. Johnson is a potential great player. We need more explosive and dangerous players on offense. Johnson can be that.

I think we're pretty solid at DE. Quinn, Long, Hayes, Westbrook, and Odi. I really like Odi. He reminds me a lot of Hayes. Yes, he's had injury issues which is why he'll be there in the later rounds but he's so powerful and explosive. Needs to improve his hand usage but Waufle can help him with that. I really like his upside for us and I feel good about our depth.

I realize that Austin isn't a running back, but he still takes some carries, and there's only one football to go around. I just feel that a second round pass-rusher to groom would get more meaningful snaps and make a more meaningful impact than another running back. But that's my opinion, and overall, I'd be pleased with this mock.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In what way?

What quality HBs have we found? Stacy showed some promise last year but has been relegated to the bench. Cunningham is a solid 3rd HB, backup HB, and KR but he's not a quality starter. Mason was taken only like 20ish spots after where I had us taking Johnson. And our last two really good starting HBs were both former 1st round picks(Jackson and Faulk).

We've been able to find players later on...but I wouldn't say quality players. They're more the type of guys that you look to upgrade on when you can. Kind of like Rodney McLeod or Scott Wells or Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What quality HBs have we found? Stacy showed some promise last year but has been relegated to the bench. Cunningham is a solid 3rd HB, backup HB, and KR but he's not a quality starter. Mason was taken only like 20ish spots after where I had us taking Johnson. And our last two really good starting HBs were both former 1st round picks(Jackson and Faulk).

We've been able to find players later on...but I wouldn't say quality players. They're more the type of guys that you look to upgrade on when you can. Kind of like Rodney McLeod or Scott Wells or Jo-Lonn Dunbar.

Are we good enough to win with at this position?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I realize that Austin isn't a running back, but he still takes some carries, and there's only one football to go around. I just feel that a second round pass-rusher to groom would get more meaningful snaps and make a more meaningful impact than another running back. But that's my opinion, and overall, I'd be pleased with this mock.

Austin gets something like 3-5 carries a game. That would still leave Johnson and Mason 10-15 carries a piece. Plus, Johnson can return kicks and catch passes out of the back-field.

I just don't see the need or value of a second round pass rusher. It's a luxury pick...like Johnson. But I think Johnson is a better value than the pass rushers around at that stage and would have a quicker impact for our team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are we good enough to win with at this position?

We can win with what we have at every position except QB right now.(with Sam, that might be a different story) But I still want upgrades.

OG is a spot we absolutely have to upgrade. Beyond that, we have a choice of a lot of positions where we can upgrade on average or worse talent. I happen to think that this HB class is very deep and the position is undervalued which will allow a guy like Johnson, whose a first round talent in a lot of drafts, to fall to the late 2nd. It's all about maximizing value and talent.

Athos

Legend
Good RBs just aren't taken very high anymore unless they are can't miss elite. I still don't see the need to take one there. Though admittedly, the Pead pick (2nd round) still rankles me deep.

If Johnson was Gio Bernard, sure as hell balls. But there isn't a Gio Bernard in the draft this year.

Build the line like hell, especially guys who can road grade, and the necessity of premium RB talent decreases. I still think Mason has the explosion for chunk yards.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Austin gets something like 3-5 carries a game. That would still leave Johnson and Mason 10-15 carries a piece. Plus, Johnson can return kicks and catch passes out of the back-field.

I just don't see the need or value of a second round pass rusher. It's a luxury pick...like Johnson. But I think Johnson is a better value than the pass rushers around at that stage and would have a quicker impact for our team.

I look at a potential starting pass rusher as much more of a need than a running back. Aside from Quinn, who do we have that is likely to be here in a few years? Like I said, Long and Hayes both turn thirty, Sims is a cap casualty in this mock, and Westbrooks has only proven himself in the preseason. Long, as much as I love the guy's leadership and ability, has had injuries that have kept him out of the lineup in the past two years and his salary could eventually cause him to be traded or cut for cap purposes. Hayes is probably not going to be resigned after his contract is up. While I have hopes for Westbrooks as a great rotational end and backup, I don't think he'll ever be a starter.

Our running backs are young. I can't say the same for most of our defensive ends. But again, I'm not against Johnson as a prospect. He really is a damn good running back. I'd just do things a little differently is all.

Athos

Legend
Our running backs are young. I can't say the same for most of our defensive ends.

That's probably true. But I think Long has a lot of football left in him. You're probably right about DE age though. Don't think DE is pressing atm though.

One thing I will say, outside of a stud LB or CB, I think this draft just has to be all offense. Practical offense. As in, build up our trenches, get a QB, and possibly bring in another pass-catcher.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good RBs just aren't taken very high anymore unless they are can't miss elite. I still don't see the need to take one there. Though admittedly, the Pead pick (2nd round) still rankles me deep.

If Johnson was Gio Bernard, sure as hell balls. But there isn't a Gio Bernard in the draft this year.

Build the line like hell, especially guys who can road grade, and the necessity of premium RB talent decreases. I still think Mason has the explosion for chunk yards.

Johnson is a lot like Gio Bernard...except he's more physically talented.

I am taking the best of both worlds method. Get run blockers and an explosive HB. Now you have big holes with a HB that can house it when given a seam. That's what I love about Mason and that's what I love about Johnson.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I look at a potential starting pass rusher as much more of a need than a running back. Aside from Quinn, who do we have that is likely to be here in a few years? Like I said, Long and Hayes both turn thirty, Sims is a cap casualty in this mock, and Westbrooks has only proven himself in the preseason. Long, as much as I love the guy's leadership and ability, has had injuries that have kept him out of the lineup in the past two years and his salary could eventually cause him to be traded or cut for cap purposes. Hayes is probably not going to be resigned after his contract is up. While I have hopes for Westbrooks as a great rotational end and backup, I don't think he'll ever be a starter.

Our running backs are young. I can't say the same for most of our defensive ends. But again, I'm not against Johnson as a prospect. He really is a damn good running back. I'd just do things a little differently is all.

I think we have significantly more talented at DE, though. And a bigger window than you're letting on.

Athos

Legend
Johnson is a lot like Gio Bernard...except he's more physically talented.

No. I'll give you Johnson is a quality back, but more physically talented? I don't see how. Healthier? Maybe. More talented? No. As UNC fan, I watched Gio a lot. Being in Cincy, I've watched him even more. When he's on the field and healthy, he's freakish. His balance, vision, cutting ability, and explosion is elite. He doesn't go down as easy as his size would say either. And he can catch out of the backfield. Everything you want and more in a two back set. And when he's back to healthy, he and Hill will be one dynamic duo. Gio has been one of my favorite backs coming out of the last several years sans Gurley.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. I'll give you Johnson is a quality back, but more physically talented? I don't see how. Healthier? Maybe. More talented? No. As UNC fan, I watched Gio a lot. Being in Cincy, I've watched him even more. When he's on the field and healthy, he's freakish. His balance, vision, cutting ability, and explosion is elite. He doesn't go down as easy as his size would say either. And he can catch out of the backfield. Everything you want and more in a two back set. And when he's back to healthy, he and Hill will be one dynamic duo. Gio has been one of my favorite backs coming out of the last several years sans Gurley.

Gio is a talented kid but Johnson has him in explosion and speed. Both guys catch the ball well out of the back-field but I can give Gio an edge on that. Neither guy goes down easy. Both guys can make great cuts but I can give Gio an edge on cutting ability. Vision and balance are pretty even.

They're similar players.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PLgsOOj-NE

Athos

Legend
Eh? I watched that.

And Gio has plenty of explosion and speed. At worst, they're equal in that regard.

And the moment I'll always remember, the execution of NC State.

And pro.

Last year, Gio made some moves that (prepared for the statements of blasphemy) Faulk.

Memento

Name
Jemma

If the Bengals are smart, they should just trade Hill and take Gurley/Gordon to pair with Bernard.

And I'm more than prepared to say "BLASPHEMY" to your statement that Bernard made moves that were Faulkian in nature. If he had them, Mizzou wouldn't have crushed UNC as badly as they did. :p