Jrry32 Mock Off-Season #2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gurley is rare. If the knee is fine and he is there to be had you pick him. You don't pass on elite transcendent talent. The Donald example is perfect. Was DT a glaring need? No. If they redid the draft today would we be able to draft Donald where we did? Absolutely not.

We need all the elite talent we can get. Since there aren't many solid QBs to be had we should build up other areas of our team over reaching for a need. Make our run game elite. If Fisher can win with Collins at QB he can win with Bradford or Hill. It just takes other parts of the team stepping up.

The draft doesn't always fit your needs perfectly. Good teams pick players, bad teams fill needs.

Agreed entirely. You don't get to control where the strengths of the draft lie...but you can maximize your drafting by utilizing those strengths. Teams that try to fight it often regret it.

Gotta be a QB worth drafting to take one. And I'm not sure there is one after the top 3.

But I'll be tuning into watch Hundley tonight and am certainly going to keep my mind open on him.

FRO

Legend
Agreed entirely. You don't get to control where the strengths of the draft lie...but you can maximize your drafting by utilizing those strengths. Teams that try to fight it often regret it.

Gotta be a QB worth drafting to take one. And I'm not sure there is one after the top 3.

But I'll be tuning into watch Hundley tonight and am certainly going to keep my mind open on him.
In 2011 the Titans felt like they needed a QB, so they reached and picked Locker. The three non QBs picked after Locker were Tyron Smith, JJ Watt, and Robert Quinn. Three elite players. There were 2 QBs squeezed in there, they were Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder. We saw teams pick for needs and we saw teams getting great players.

As far as Hundley I'm keeping an open mind as well, but I want a QB that has good eyes and can really read and get through his reads. Also pocket awareness is huge. That's what I'm really going to watch Hundley. If he is a one read and run guy I'll pass. If he panics when he feels pressure or sense ghost pressure I'll pass.

The lack of success of the spread QB really worries me to. Fisher is a power football coach. Yes he won with Vince Young, but that wasn't a good fit. That's something to keep in mind. That's why I think Cook is the best fit for us. Somebody who comes from a pro system who is used to playing the power football game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In 2011 the Titans felt like they needed a QB, so they reached and picked Locker. The three non QBs picked after Locker were Tyron Smith, JJ Watt, and Robert Quinn. Three elite players. There were 2 QBs squeezed in there, they were Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder. We saw teams pick for needs and we saw teams getting great players.

As far as Hundley I'm keeping an open mind as well, but I want a QB that has good eyes and can really read and get through his reads. Also pocket awareness is huge. That's what I'm really going to watch Hundley. If he is a one read and run guy I'll pass. If he panics when he feels pressure or sense ghost pressure I'll pass.

The lack of success of the spread QB really worries me to. Fisher is a power football coach. Yes he won with Vince Young, but that wasn't a good fit. That's something to keep in mind. That's why I think Cook is the best fit for us. Somebody who comes from a pro system who is used to playing the power football game.

Hundley and Winston aren't really spread guys. Their teams spread it out but they do it with pro style concepts and route trees.

Keep in mind that Hundley's coach is Jim Mora Jr. who is a WCO disciple.

I'm not super big on Cook either. He doesn't handle pressure well and isn't consistent enough in his accuracy for me.

FRO

Legend
Hundley and Winston aren't really spread guys. Their teams spread it out but they do it with pro style concepts and route trees.

Keep in mind that Hundley's coach is Jim Mora Jr. who is a WCO disciple.

I'm not super big on Cook either. He doesn't handle pressure well and isn't consistent enough in his accuracy for me.
I'm not super big on Cook either. There are parts of his game I really like. As far as on the field Winston is superior. He wasn't a guy I was referencing when talking about the spread. The guys I was talking about is Mariota for sure and Hundley, although I haven't watched a ton of UCLA games.