Jrry32 Mariota Scenario Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As always, this isn't what I'm projecting the Rams to do because it's just too hard to guess what they'll do. If I were in the Rams' shoes, this is what I would do. With it seeming more and more likely that Winston will go #1, I think the Rams are in a good spot to make a bold move this year.
Released
Jake Long OT
Kendall Langford DT
Scott Wells C
Eugene Sims DE
Isaiah Pead HB

Re-signed Players
Joe Barksdale - 4 years $24 million($5 million first year)
Kenny Britt - 4 years $20 million($5 million first year)
Shaun Hill - 1 year $1.5 million
Mike Person - 1 year $745,000
Cory Harkey - ERFA($645,000)
Rodney McLeod - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)

Free Agency
Justin Blalock OG
4880912130371_Saints_at_Falcons.jpg

2 years $5 million($2.5 million first year)

Blalock was drafted by Atlanta when Snead was with the organization and played under Paul Boudreau. I think it makes a lot of sense with Atlanta letting him go because they're moving to a PBS. He's missed 1 game in the last 7 years as Atlanta's starting LG. He gives us a bridge player for whatever young OG we bring in.

Leger Douzable DT
med_gallery_5331_85_72722.jpg

2 years $3 million($1.5 million first year)

Douzable is a rotational DT that can step into the run stuffer role and is even capable of playing some DE if needed. I have him in pretty much all of my mocks but I'm good with any good rotational run stuffer that can be had relatively cheap to step into Langford's role.

John Conner FB
4934511827_aeefcd30ea.jpg

1 year $745,000

Conner is an inexpensive way of replacing Kendricks. Cory Harkey slides into the blocking TE role vacated by Kendricks while Conner comes in as a lead blocking FB and a special teamer.

Trades
St. Louis trades 1st round #10, 2016 1st, and 3rd round #8
Oakland trades 1st round #4

We decide to go all in on Mariota. Some will say that we should wait until next year but we could be stuck in the same situation next year. I have some reservations about Mariota but I think he's going to be a good QB. Realistically, I think he's easily capable of being an Alex Smith type QB with much more athleticism. But if he can read defenses at a high level, he can be so much more. I'm willing to take the risk on him.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #4 - Marcus Mariota QB Oregon

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4UW3aGYxfg

Analysis: Some might love this pick, some might hate it but I think the Rams need to be bold and go after their QB this year. You never know when you'll have another chance. I think the world of Sam but we just can't rely on him to stay healthy. Some feel that Mariota will end up like Kaepernick...but even if he does, that's good enough for us to make the playoffs. That all said, I see one major thing that separates Mariota from Kaepernick...mental processing speed. Mariota has it and Kaepernick does not. Regardless, Mariota will be given time to adjust to the scheme because Bradford is still here rather than forcing Mariota to start from Day 1. And Weinke has a lot of experience working with dual threat QBs. In the crazy scenario that Sam stays healthy and has a monster year, we have three options: 1) Sign Sam long term and trade Mariota, 2) Let Sam walk in FA and start Mariota, or 3) Franchise Sam and see if he can stay healthy while giving Mariota another year to develop on the bench...regardless, that's a pretty darn good situation to be in. Plus, if Sam does get hurt again in 2015, we have one hell of a talent backing him up.

Round 2 Pick #9 - A.J. Cann OG/C South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwRR2-tr_w

Analysis: This should be no surprise, I have had Cann in many of my mocks. I love his fit in our scheme and him saying that he can play Center only makes him more valuable for me. Cann might not be able to compete for the Center job this year but he'll be able to compete at OG at worst.

Round 5 Pick #9 - Chaz Green OT/OG Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Ll__i8SoM

Analysis: Green hasn't gotten much hype unlike teammate D.J. Humphries but he's deserving of it. Like Humphries, he's had durability issues at UF but Green still possesses good athleticism and the power to generate movement in the running game. At 6'5" 315, he's a good fit for our PBS and is capable of providing depth at four positions.

Round 6 Comp Pick - Donald Celiscar CB Western Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTJAbl2cbRM

Analysis: Makes me think of E.J. Gaines because he's EXTREMELY productive, experienced, and natural in coverage but is being underrated due to measurables. Great feet and hips, drives on the football extremely well, good ball-skills, willing in run support, and anticipates routes well. But he's a tad undersized and lacks great straight-line speed. Underrated player.

Round 7 Pick #31 - Darius Kilgo DT Maryland

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egsAK5F0Dy8

Analysis: Kilgo is a very big man at 6'4" 320 and will offer us another rotational run stopper behind Brockers, Donald, and Douzable. Kilgo needs some development on his handwork and use of leverage as he gets too high with his pad level but he's extremely stout at the POA and very strong. He played NT in Maryland's 3-4 defense. He's a project for Coach Waufle to develop.

Starting Line-up
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Tre Mason
FB: John Conner
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Justin Blalock
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Bennie Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

While there's no rookie starters listed, I think there's a very real possibility that A.J. Cann and Mariota could start some games as rookies.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I like it and it seems feasible if Mariota fell to 4. My only gripe would be I would prefer Jerome Felton to Conner, but a true FB is addressed.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm not a Mariota guy, but I honestly can not get my head around a more realistic possibility to fix the QB and OL situation and this scenario does a pretty good job of both lol.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not a Mariota guy, but I honestly can not get my head around a more realistic possibility to fix the QB and OL situation and this scenario does a pretty good job of both lol.

Just doing the best I can. I just am not comfortable with any QB after the first two. But I can't blame you for not being a Mariota guy. Spread QBs, especially from offenses like Oregon's and Baylor's, are difficult to project.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
jrry32 for GM!

Seriously.

(Edit: I think this trade is realistic b/c the Raiders still get a WR regardless of whether they draft at 4 or 10. No real drop off between Kevin White vs. Amari Cooper. Either way Carr has a top flight WR to grow with.)

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I would be thrilled if we get Celiscar that low. He'd be another CB steal in the 6th.

Plus, I know folks seem to have all, but forgotten about Christian Bryant, but don't. He was the heart and soul of that Ohio State D and we took him and redshirted him last year. I fully expect him to really show up this year.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Love it!!! Would love if this is how it played out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would be thrilled if we get Celiscar that low. He'd be another CB steal in the 6th.

Plus, I know folks seem to have all, but forgotten about Christian Bryant, but don't. He was the heart and soul of that Ohio State D and we took him and redshirted him last year. I fully expect him to really show up this year.

He was underrated before the Combine and only ran like a 4.62 40 so I think he'll possibly be around that late. I like the kid a lot. He'll fit in somewhere. If he's not fast enough to play outside, he'll play the slot or safety.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd take it.

The Rams screwed up by passing on a first or second round QB last year. They need to make a bold move to overcome that gaffe. I agree Mariota seems to have th mental acuity to get it done. I think that is the biggest obstacle for any QB. He could get a full year to learn behind Sam and Sean. The coaches should have some idea of his potential by the end of next season and also of Bradford's knee and the mental impact it has on his game.

Getter Done.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I love this scenario! Mariota is Sam Bradford on wheels. It would be ideal to watch and learn under someone who also made the transition from spread offense to the pros. They have so much similarity in their mechanics, it really could be a perfect pairing for a year or two.

Athos

Legend
Still think you could get Smelter in the 5th. And I'd take him there too. He won't be able to do a pro-day, I don't think, so all you have is game tape of 56 REC. That's about a season's worth in a normal offense.

He's not going in the 4th or earlier. And if so, find me a WR with that much lack of prod taken that early.

I ramble, but, looking at that draft.....it's rather bare. But that's what a trade up would do I guess. Still think we'd need to do more in FA if we draft a guy like Mariota though.

lockdnram21

Legend
Still think you could get Smelter in the 5th. And I'd take him there too. He won't be able to do a pro-day, I don't think, so all you have is game tape of 56 REC. That's about a season's worth in a normal offense.

He's not going in the 4th or earlier. And if so, find me a WR with that much lack of prod taken that early.

I ramble, but, looking at that draft.....it's rather bare. But that's what a trade up would do I guess. Still think we'd need to do more in FA if we draft a guy like Mariota though.
U really don't like our wr?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Just doing the best I can. I just am not comfortable with any QB after the first two. But I can't blame you for not being a Mariota guy. Spread QBs, especially from offenses like Oregon's and Baylor's, are difficult to project.

I agree, I don't like any QB's in this draft beside Winston. Well I do like Cody Fajardo but that is a story for another day.

As for Mariota though, he could fit here......now Im trying to sell myself on him lol. But if we ran a similar offense to what SF has done with Kaepernick you might actually have something. Fisher gets his run first offensive philosophy in place. Mariota gets a simple game plan that plays to his strengths and allows him time to grow in the position. The more I think about this the more I want this to happen!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'm good with it.
But while Fish is on phone welcoming MM Sneed is cutting Bradford.
If the team is going to invest that much into MM they need to fully commit to him and modify the offense to what he can do. That includes using his legs as a designed package. That eliminates SB and Hill.
If they half ass it and have 2 separate offenses they will bust MM and this will all be a epic fail.

Rest of the draft looks good.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm assuming the Rams let Bradford play 2015 on his 13 mill salary?
I guess that if he has a great year they could roll the dice and slap a franchise tag on him

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm good with it.
But while Fish is on phone welcoming MM Sneed is cutting Bradford.
If the team is going to invest that much into MM they need to fully commit to him and modify the offense to what he can do. That includes using his legs as a designed package. That eliminates SB and Hill.
If they half ass it and have 2 separate offenses they will bust MM and this will all be a epic fail.

Rest of the draft looks good.

Nope. Keeping Bradford. Not going to be forced to throw Mariota out there before he's ready. There's a large learning curve from the offense that he played in to a NFL offense.

Josh Gordon

I'm assuming the Rams let Bradford play 2015 on his 13 mill salary?
I guess that if he has a great year they could roll the dice and slap a franchise tag on him

Pretty much. And they could make the decision whether to let him play out the franchise tag to try and make sure the injuries are behind him, trade him, or give him a long term deal and trade Mariota.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Taken in the Supplemental Draft. Not the main draft. :whistle:

Irrelevant. He was taken with a 2nd round pick. But if Gordon doesn't work, Laveranues Coles. Stephen Hill is also an easy answer.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Although my Buckeyes made Duck a l'Orange out of Mariota I would be in favor of this deal. M squared offers so much from the neck up as well as the neck down I would love to give Chip Kelly a coronary on draft day.