Jrry32 Immediate Contention Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not apples to oranges. A team can change their system greatly. The biggest struggle with a NFL playbook is learning the verbiage and complexities. You don't have to change those even if you change how the scheme is run.

It's not an issue. Hell, they changed that scheme in one season from the way it was run with Orton to how it was run with Tebow.
It's totally apples to oranges. Tebow was horrible in the offense so they ran whatever plays they thought he could run.
And then dumped him after the season.
You're talking about installing an offense for Kaep that will be suited to what he does best and somehow having the rookie qb learn the ropes yet play in a totally different offense when he's ready. Then of course is the issue that if Kaep plays in the right offense he may not give up the job thus making drafting a 1st round qb a bad decision.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
True. Locker was team captain his last two years. Won the team's most inspirational player award twice.

And Cook's team has gone 36-4 during his 3 years as a starter compared to Locker whose team had a losing record during his time as a starter. And Cook's career TD to Int ratio is over 3.5 to 1 while Locker's was barely over 1.5 to 1.

But then again, that wasn't what I was trying to say above. I hated Locker as a prospect. Wanted nothing to do with him. He wasn't a player that was streaky. He just wasn't a good QB prospect. Scattershot accuracy and didn't see the field well. Some will say Cook has scattershot accuracy. I don't necessarily agree with that characterization. But there's no argument that Cook doesn't see the field well.

Cook is so far beyond Locker in field vision, reading defenses, and throwing with anticipation that it's not even worth putting the two of them in the same breath. Cook might end up failing but he's a far better prospect than Locker. Locker was drafted highly because he had gobs of physical talent. Cook has physical talent but the reason he'll be drafted highly is because of what he offers upstairs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's totally apples to oranges. Tebow was horrible in the offense so they ran whatever plays they thought he could run.
And then dumped him after the season.
You're talking about installing an offense for Kaep that will be suited to what he does best and somehow having the rookie qb learn the ropes yet play in a totally different offense when he's ready. Then of course is the issue that if Kaep plays in the right offense he may not give up the job thus making drafting a 1st round qb a bad decision.

Or not. You assume that you can only install an offense for Kaepernick. The reality is, like Tebow, he'd just run a paired down version of the actual offense with a few twists thrown in.(read option and QB runs)

You can install the offense you plan to run in the future and not have Kaepernick run it the same way you'll have Cook run it. It's not like the passing plays have to differ greatly with Kaepernick and Cook. The way you run the offense is what will differ greatly as well as the small tweaks I discussed earlier.

As I said, they managed to have an offense that both Orton and Tebow could run in the same season with tweaks for both QBs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or not. You assume that you can only install an offense for Kaepernick. The reality is, like Tebow, he'd just run a paired down version of the actual offense with a few twists thrown in.(read option and QB runs)

You can install the offense you plan to run in the future and not have Kaepernick run it the same way you'll have Cook run it. It's not like the passing plays have to differ greatly with Kaepernick and Cook. The way you run the offense is what will differ greatly as well as the small tweaks I discussed earlier.

As I said, they managed to have an offense that both Orton and Tebow could run in the same season with tweaks for both QBs.
Totally not.
Denver is the perfect example of what I'm saying. When Fox had control he brought in Manninng and drafted a qb who would play in the same system.
And it's paying off for them.
The Tebow example is totally off base and not comparable.
If you're going to draft a classic drop back passer like Cook and have him on the bench you had better have a guy playing in front that he can learn from.
And Kaep ain't it

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally not.
Denver is the perfect example of what I'm saying. When Fox had control he brought in Manninng and drafted a qb who would play in the same system.
And it's paying off for them.
The Tebow example is totally off base and not comparable.
If you're going to draft a classic drop back passer like Cook and have him on the bench you had better have a guy playing in front that he can learn from.
And Kaep ain't it

His job isn't to learn from the guy in front of him. That's not a luxury we have. His job is to learn from the coaching staff. Iron out the minor issues in his game, learn the playbook, and build chemistry with his teammates...and then step in when he's mentally prepared.

I've already explained multiple times why having him and Kaepernick in the same offense isn't an issue. It seems clear that we don't see eye to eye on this one.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His job isn't to learn from the guy in front of him. That's not a luxury we have. His job is to learn from the coaching staff. Iron out the minor issues in his game, learn the playbook, and build chemistry with his teammates...and then step in when he's mentally prepared.

I've already explained multiple times why having him and Kaepernick in the same offense isn't an issue. It seems clear that we don't see eye to eye on this one.
And if he's taking 2nd string snaps in practice it's not going to be in a totally different offense.
So we agree that Kaep suffered by being a square peg in a round hole I don't see why we'd do that to our own guy for Kaep benefit.
In any event I actually think we agree on more than not. And I appreciate all the work you put in.
Heck you sold me on Wentz...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if he's taking 2nd string snaps in practice it's not going to be in a totally different offense.
So we agree that Kaep suffered by being a square peg in a round hole I don't see why we'd do that to our own guy for Kaep benefit.
In any event I actually think we agree on more than not. And I appreciate all the work you put in.
Heck you sold me on Wentz...

Thank you. Feel the same way about you. :)

FRO

Legend
If Adam Gase is smart and the Titans come calling on Black Monday, he should be on a plan to Nashville on Tuesday. Given the Rams circumstances, I don't like their chances of landing one of the top names available.

It's a shame, but in a article I read awhile back, the thing the guys is heavy demand (or most new HC hires) want to know is how much personnel control will they have and who is going to be their QB.
You're exactly right. The Rams will not be in a great spot because we have no QB and the whole LA thing may not be decided yet leaving instability as far as where the coach will live for the next few years.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Not bad. I'll nitpick because that's what ppl do on the internet.
I'm not bringing Zuerlein back. Unpopular opinion i'm sure but there's more to a Kicker than looking at FG% and leg strength. He's a mentally fragile kicker. We can do better.

Kaepernick. Not opposed to the idea and i actually like the thinking of having an offense where he's allowed to freelance etc and make him Gurley and Tavon a nightmare to defend at the LOS.... but i would be mildly concerned about bringing in a guy from within the division that has struggled mightily vs DC's that all know him very well.

I do like the re-sign of Willy Hayes. If Chris Long is let go, Hayes' leadership, presence and heart & soul will be important.

I wouldn't be looking at WR's in Arians' offense. Minus Fitzgerald they're all system guys, and Floyd doesn't really even fit and he's still getting involved.