Jrry32 Happy New Year Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I promise you, there's no crazy trade for Goff. In this mock, I assume that the Browns take him at #2. The Titans are unwilling to trade down from #1 all the way to #18. Paxton Lynch goes off the board in the top 10. And Connor Cook goes off the board in the top 15 to either Houston (trade) or Philadelphia. I also went a little different direction in this mock than I have gone with FAs and re-signings. As always, this is what I'd do if I were in Snead's and Fisher's shoes.

Hire
Rob Boras OC

I think Fisher will stick with him. Not sure how I feel about it but don't know if we can attract better.

Cut
Jared Cook TE
Chris Long DE
Nick Foles QB

Re-sign
Janoris Jenkins - 5 years $55 million (after being franchised)
Rodney McLeod - 3 years $10.5 million
Greg Zuerlein - 1 year $1.5 million
Will Hayes - 3 years $9 million
Tim Barnes - 2 years $2 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Benny Cunningham - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender
Case Keenum - RFA Tender
Cory Harkey - 2 years $3 million

I can't take any more of Nick Foles at QB. We don't save much when we cut him but he's just not worth the roster spot. Mark Barron filled in admirably for Ogletree but he doesn't really have a spot once Alec comes back. Cutting Chris Long hurts but it's time. He can't stay healthy and his skills are declining. Britt has played well enough this year to keep as a deep threat imo. We bring Case Keenum back as the backup QB. Zuerlein gets a "prove it" deal. SHOCKER: Trumaine decides to test the market and takes a big contract from the Oakland Raiders.

Free Agency
JPP-charges-fireworks-07-07-15.jpg

Jason Pierre-Paul DE - 1 year $10 million

10689.jpg

Marvin Jones WR - 4 years $24 million

billywinn_576.jpg

Billy Winn DT - 2 years $3 million

This will surprise some but with Trumaine Johnson leaving and Long being cut, the Rams have the money to make a big splash. JPP is looking to rehab his value after his major hand injury. The Giants seem unlikely to franchise him again. JPP just turned 27 years old. He still has a big contract left if he can prove his hand is right. Like Nick Fairley, JPP recognizes that the Rams have the best DL Coach in football and arguably the best DL in football. There isn't a place where JPP is going to have a better opportunity to have a big year and rehab his value than St. Louis. He'll be playing across from Robert Quinn with Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers providing inside push and pressure. He takes a "prove it" deal in St. Louis with the hopes of landing his monster contract next year. There is a possibility that JPP returns to the Giants. If that happens, we offer this same sort of deal to Mario Williams who the Bills are likely going to cut.

I was a little iffy on Jones because he missed all of 2014 with an injury but he's come back and stayed healthy this year. I watched him against Denver and I was impressed with how he played. He got behind their talented corners a couple times on deep balls but McCarron overthrew him. He made some nice catches on the sidelines and ran good routes. He's not a superstar WR but he offers us a quality #2 WR that can get open deep and make plays on the sidelines.

We need a body behind Donald and Brockers. Winn is a cheap body with some talent and upside left. He's shown some flashes but ultimately has proven only to be a rotational guy. That's probably what he is but the truth is, that all he needs to be. Come in, spell one of the two DTs, and don't be a major liability.

Trade
Rams trade HB Tre Mason
Cowboys trade Round 4 Pick #4

Rams trade Round 2 Pick #17 and Round 4 Pick #4
Ravens trade Round 2 Pick #7

With Todd Gurley in town, the Rams don't need Tre Mason. Tre is a talented kid who could be a productive HB in the right scheme. He's a one cut runner with quickness and enough power. He fits well in Dallas's scheme. This allows Dallas to add a talented runner and focus their premium picks on defense where they need the help. Benny Cunningham takes over the #2 HB job.

Rams trade up for a player they value in the early 2nd round out of fear that the Giants or Saints will take him before he reaches the #11 pick.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #18 - Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRLe5ltOD4g

Analysis: I'm not sure if Wentz is as pro ready as Cook and Goff so he might need to sit for part or all of his rookie year. In that case, I'm hopeful that Mannion or Keenum can handle the job until he's ready. Wentz is currently out injured with a broken wrist and he needs to do a better job of protecting himself at the NFL level. He shouldn't be running the way he does in college. He can't be reckless or he'll put us in tough situations. He needs to learn to slide. But I don't think it'll be an issue. Wentz is a good athlete with the mobility to extend plays or take off and run if a seam is there. As a thrower, Wentz has a rifle for an arm which allows him to make the most difficult throws look easy. There isn't a throw on the field that will be off limits to us with Wentz at QB. I've seen him throw a 13-15 yard comeback route from the right hashmark to the left sideline on a rope. That's the type of throw that only a handful of NFL QBs have the arm to make. He's got the type of arm that guys like Aaron Rodgers and Kaepernick have. And he combines that strong arm with accuracy. He's a great thrower with the ability to squeeze the ball into tight windows. Which he had to do more than you'd expect because his WRs at NDSU were not very good. Wentz isn't lacking in pocket presence or poise under pressure. He's not afraid to stand tall and take a shot in order to deliver a pass. He is willing to climb the ladder in the pocket and has no issues throwing over the LOS at 6'5" 230. Wentz will sometimes lock onto a WR but I've seen enough of him to know that he has no issues working through his progressions quickly and finding the checkdown if nothing is there.(he's not Kaepernick) I've also seen enough anticipation throws to make me comfortable although, he needs to be more consistent with his timing on throws. His arm allows him to throw late at times. Wentz's throwing motion is natural and he doesn't possess an elongated release. Wentz's biggest problem right now is his lower body mechanics. He needs to rework his feet and throwing base in order to allow him to move more comfortably in the pocket and throw without having to get his feet set.(I don't mean throw without setting his feet but with how his throwing base currently is, he has to set and then throw when he should be already set as he's scanning through his options when he's not forced off his spot) Wentz also has to keep his feet from becoming static so he doesn't get flat-footed which will help his pocket movement. These issues are all fixable with time and coaching and they will improve his movement in the pocket as well as his accuracy and timing.
NFL Comparison: Carson Palmer

Round 2 Pick #7 - Desmond King CB Iowa

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DowxI0vJXrM

Analysis: This one might surprise some people. "You traded up for a CB?" Yep, I did. With Trumaine Johnson walking and E.J. Gaines coming off such a major injury, we should be prepared. E.J. may not come back the same. My opinion of King is that he has no business getting out of the first round but he's one of those guys (like Tyler Boyd) that might be undervalued by NFL evaluators. His measurables aren't going to jump off the page at you at 5'11" 200 with 4.5 speed. However, King is a natural cover CB who played both RCB and SLCB this year. That versatility will be very useful to a team like the Rams. He also has the size, physicality, tackling ability, and ball-skills to play FS and be pretty damn great at it. With McLeod only being a solid FS, there's a chance the Rams could move King to FS if Gaines comes back strong. As a CB, King has natural cover skills and had a very strong season with 8 interceptions. Two of the interceptions came against Tyler Boyd who he handled extremely well. King has extremely fluid hips, quick feet, and sound technique. He stays in the WR's hip pocket, plays the ball well in the air, and rarely makes mistakes. Additionally, he's a feisty and physical guy that will mix it up with the guy he's covering and has no fear in the run game. He'll take on OLs and TEs and hold up pretty well for a CB. He's a great tackler that will make plays at the LOS in the run game. Aside from measurables and elite speed, I don't see any holes in his game. He can press guys at the LOS, play off man or zone, and be used in bail technique and he looks good at each and every one. He's a sound, versatile player that is a great fit for the Rams defense. Additionally, he also can return kicks and punts. You can never have enough guys capable of returning punts.
NFL Comparison: Joe Haden

Round 2 Pick #11 - Hunter Henry TE Arkansas

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV5uBnO9pyo

Analysis: Henry has prototypical NFL TE size at 6'5" 250 and has been highly productive for Arkansas this year and throughout his career. He possesses great hands and is known for making tough catches in traffic. He's a very reliable option in the passing game with the acceleration and agility to get open on short to intermediate routes. Doesn't have game-breaking speed but has enough speed to threaten the seam. Basically, he's a good athlete with great hands and size. As a blocker, he's pretty average. Doesn't overpower guys when blocking inline. His fundamentals and technique are pretty sound. They can better but they're not bad. But he's more of a wall them off blocker than a bury them in the dirt blocker. That all said, he's an effective enough blocker due to his size and technique that he won't be a liability if asked to block inline. Not a good pass blocker...but we're not drafting the guy to pass block. Will give us a big red-zone option and a reliable 3rd down option.
NFL Comparison: Tyler Eifert

Round 3 Pick #16 - Scooby Wright III ILB/OLB Arizona

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PUWnNxGqYE

Analysis: According to Arizona, Scooby Wright had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs in 2014 ALONE. Unfortunately for him, he's missed almost this entire season thus far with injuries. This is a kid that doesn't have the NFL look. He's listed at 6'1" 246. I think he'll come in closer to 5'11" 240. But he's a guy that plays with so much passion, relentlessness, and heart that his average athleticism and underwhelming size don't limit his game. He has top tier instincts, great play strength (gym rat), and plays with reckless abandon. Sometimes, that reckless abandon will cause him to miss tackles but it's worth it with how often he's in the back-field making plays. He's Arizona's defensive leader, he is the guy that makes sure everyone is lined up properly, and he's the heart of that defense. They also will move him down to DE on certain passing downs and he's a disruptive, relentless pass rusher. This guy is James Laurinaitis's heir apparent. If Wright isn't available, Tyler Matakevich from Temple and Kentrell Brothers from Missouri are also worth considering. But right now, Wright is being considered a mid round pick due to his lack of measurables and his injury keeping him out all year.
NFL Comparison: Chris Borland

Round 4 Pick #15 - Nelson Spruce WR Colorado

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otdZnUuzarM

Analysis: Nelson Spruce is one of the most productive WRs in Pac-12 history ending his career with 294 catches, 3347 yards, and 23 TDs. Spruce also ends his career with back to back 1000+ yard seasons. At 6'1" 205, Spruce has solid NFL size and offers the versatility to play inside and outside. Spruce is willing to use his physicality and savvy to create separation. He's a nuanced route runner with the quickness and fluid hips to create separation at the next level. Doesn't have great top-end speed but can create separation deep using his route running ability and his physicality. Spruce also possesses a very good and reliable pair of hands. He'll make tough catches in traffic and rarely drops passes. Can also return punts if we need him to. Type of guy that will find a way to get on the field and produce for you.
NFL Comparison: Austin Collie

Round 6 Pick #18 - Mike Matthews C Texas A&M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6osh3LY1VXk

Analysis: Yep, there's another Matthews. Mike isn't blessed with the size that Jake had but he's definitely got the same sort of athleticism and feet that Jake has. Body is a hindrance. Undersized at 6'2" 290ish and he appears to have short arms. My guess is around 32 inches. Wouldn't be surprised if they're shorter than 32. This does cause him some occasional problems. As a pass blocker, he's an absolute rock. He knows when to help, he's an intelligent player that handles stunts and blitzes well, and I didn't notice any issues with bad snaps. In 1-on-1 situations, he consistently shut his man down. Even when his man lands a jarring blow, Matthews is able to drop his butt and widen his base while establishing proper hand positioning and locking on which allows him to stonewall the bullrush after a step or two. When his man tries to knife past him with agility, Matthews shows great footwork and body positioning to slide with the defender, push him up-field, and position his body between the defender and QB at all times. However, Matthews will occasionally duck his head and lunge at defenders because of his arm length and he doesn't have a powerful punch. Often is catching the defender but he's strong and polished in the lower body which allows him to handle this well. As a pass protector, he looks like a quality player and a pro ready guy. As a run blocker, he needs work. Great movement skills, feet, and fluidity which allows him to reach defenders and pull or attack the second level effortlessly. However, he needs to play under control and use angles better on the second level and in the open-field. Too often misses his man because he doesn't position himself well. When blocking 1-on-1 on the LOS, he has enough sand in his pants to get push but he doesn't sustain blocks well. Again, I think the short arms hurt him here and he needs to play with better leverage. As a run blocker, he certainly has upside especially in a zone blocking scheme but will be hit and miss until his OL Coach polishes some technical aspects of his game. Frankly, I'm shocked that NFL teams don't seem to be higher on the guy as I have him as a Day 2/early Day 3 pick but then again, Center is probably my worst position when it comes to evaluations.
NFL Comparison: Jason Kelce

Projected Starters
QB: Carson Wentz
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Kenny Britt
ZWR: Marvin Jones
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Jamon Brown
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Garrett Reynolds
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Jason Pierre-Paul
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
OLB: Akeem Ayers
LCB: E.J. Gaines
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: LaMarcus Joyner
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

I kept Rodger Saffold which is very different than my normal mocks but I figured that the $3 million we save won't be enough to get an OL that will provide his level of play and versatility. Saffold will not be starting. Instead, he'll be our 6th OL which should be quite good for us because it gives us a guy that can play 4 positions on the OL off the bench that will not be a liability. Garrett Reynolds, Cody Wichmann, and Jamon Brown will all battle for the two starting jobs. Reynolds has played well for us and Wichmann has really improved as a pass protector but he needs to get stronger in the run game. We might actually have ourselves an OL next year if Greg Robinson can improve and the other young guys progress.

My expectation is that Desmond King and Hunter Henry will be getting significant PT and possibly starting by the end of their rookie years. But with them being rookies, no reason to rush them on the field when we have competent starters at their position. My hope is that will happen with Mike Matthews as well. I projected Carson Wentz as starting but if he's not ready, Case or Mannion will have to start until he is. I would not rush him on the field before he's ready. He's too talented to risk setting his career back by rushing his development. Scooby Wright will be James Laurinaitis's heir apparent and take over as the starting MLB in 2017.

FRO

Legend
I hate missing Trumaine, but King is a very good get. I feel like some of the draft pundits are undertaking him. I can definitely live with it.

Athos

Legend
Would rather we bring Tru back to allow us Boyd and Henry... But I'd allow it I guess.

I'm falling hard for Wentz measurables. Love big burly QBs who can take a hit or shed a tackle. I hope he proves enough to fall into our laps and not go before us.

Wish I could watch more of him.

FRO

Legend
Would rather we bring Tru back to allow us Boyd and Henry... But I'd allow it I guess.

I'm falling hard for Wentz measurables. Love big burly QBs who can take a hit or shed a tackle. I hope he proves enough to fall into our laps and not go before us.

Wish I could watch more of him.
Here you go:
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/carson-wentz/

Wentz is a great fit for us. He may need a year on the bench, but I'm willing to wait. He runs a pro offense, has a nice arm and good accuracy, he is big and strong, a good runner. There are areas where he struggles, but look at Bortles and how he is paying huge dividends in year two. I'm seeing similar things in Wentz.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love it.
I'd prefer they franchise Tru and think Pierre Paul is done. But I like the way you think on it.
Was expecting to see Boyd pop up in the 2 round and was glad to see the obligatory Scooby Wright pick. (3rd round is more believable than 4)
On the WR angle, a guy I'd love to see the Rams take a flyer on Leonte Caroo from Rutgers. He's got some baggage and will def drop because of it. Maybe Kenny Britt can big brother him

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought about Mario Williams if they have the money. I am worried about Quinn's future. I would be hating losingTru though. I'd rather let JJ walk and put a new corner over there. I'd let some of the other minor free agents walk and package that money for Williams. I'd also let Fairley test the market and try to sign him cheaper. I don't think he scores big.

Barron, so many people want to let him go. He is one of those irreplaceable talents. Great teams have great players and I hate to lose him. I guess it depends on what they think of Mo and if he could play that role. I dont think he can. Barron could break the bank, but I think he is a must keep player that they won't want to let go. I like McLeod but Mo looked good in coverage. McLeod won't be cheap anymore either. Let him walk and maybe Barron stays.

In the end I just keep both corners and use round two on the best receivers they can find. I love not trading up. I think Keenum can get it done until Wentz is ready.

Memphis Ram

Legend
@Elmgrovegnome

I haven't seen anyone that wants to let Barron go. It's just it's hard to see him returning given that he's probably going to command a great deal of money and his best position also happens to be Ogletree's best position.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@Elmgrovegnome

I haven't seen anyone that wants to let Barron go. It's just it's hard to see him returning given that he's probably going to command a great deal of money and his best position also happens to be Ogletree's best position.

I disagree. His best position is hybrid. Will teams want him? Sure because he is a great player. But, that is just why the Rams need to try and keep him.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Love it.
I'd prefer they franchise Tru and think Pierre Paul is done. But I like the way you think on it.
Was expecting to see Boyd pop up in the 2 round and was glad to see the obligatory Scooby Wright pick. (3rd round is more believable than 4)
On the WR angle, a guy I'd love to see the Rams take a flyer on Leonte Caroo from Rutgers. He's got some baggage and will def drop because of it. Maybe Kenny Britt can big brother him

Carroo seems like he'd be the perfect fit for this team

Memphis Ram

Legend
I disagree. His best position is hybrid. Will teams want him? Sure because he is a great player. But, that is just why the Rams need to try and keep him.

But, how much time was he getting when Ogletree was healthy? I'm guessing that he's going to get starter money and playing time elsewhere.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
But, how much time was he getting when Ogletree was healthy? I'm guessing that he's going to get starter money and playing time elsewhere.

Maybe he will. It all depends but the Rams should try to keep him. He is one of the star players on the team. There are a lot of good players but he is better than just good. He was getting a lot of playing time before Ogeletree's injury and I think nothing would change.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Maybe he will. It all depends but the Rams should try to keep him. He is one of the star players on the team. There are a lot of good players but he is better than just good. He was getting a lot of playing time before Ogeletree's injury and I think nothing would change.

I hope they re-sign him. Just don't like their chances outside of Ogletree being moved to MLB.

Check the link. Barron's snap count about doubled when Ogletree went down.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yes. I like this one.

Marvin would be a nice pick up.

Do you really believe JPP would take a 1 year deal? I think someone will give him a long term deal, with big money.

Loosing Tru hurts, but the chances of us keeping JJ and Tru are slim.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Methinks there's little chance that Saffold gets paid all that money to be a backup.

He might take a pay-cut. But I don't see a point in releasing him to save $3 million. Unlikely to find a player of his caliber that can play every position on the OL but Center for $3 million.

Yes. I like this one.

Marvin would be a nice pick up.

Do you really believe JPP would take a 1 year deal? I think someone will give him a long term deal, with big money.

Loosing Tru hurts, but the chances of us keeping JJ and Tru are slim.

I think it's possible. Hard to know what he'll get offered.

Carroo seems like he'd be the perfect fit for this team

Based on what I've seen thus far, I don't think he's a good fit. He's a fast kid that can get over the top and his hands are solid but he appears to have heavy feet and stiff hips. That shoehorns him into a Kenny Britt type role.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I wonder what Mario Williams would cost since he's probably on his way out of Buffalo after being snakebit buy another coach that wants to run a 3-4 instead of playing to his strengths.

Stel

Starter
I wonder what Mario Williams would cost since he's probably on his way out of Buffalo after being snakebit buy another coach that wants to run a 3-4 instead of playing to his strengths.

More than we should pay. He'll be 31 next season and likely a declining talent.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
At this point, I'd rather franchise Tru and give him that contract, rather than JJ.

FRO

Legend
At this point, I'd rather franchise Tru and give him that contract, rather than JJ.
I want both, but I'm leaning your way. I think Johnson would be cheaper, and he has size. Gaines and Jenkins don't. I'm still hoping we keep both.