Jrry32 Give Up the Farm for Goff Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep, there is a crazy trade for Goff here. Some will hate it, some will like it, some will be okay with it. I think the guy is special. I think he's a QB that can lead us to the Super Bowl in the next 5 years. I'd give up a ton to get him. As always, this is what I'd do if I were in Snead's and Fisher's shoes. Alshon Jeffery was franchised in this mock.

Hire
John DeFilippo OC

It seems like Fisher might be getting it. DeFilippo would be an awesome hire. I really hope the Rams don't interview him and then sit on their hands. They need to get this guy here. His passing schemes with the Browns were awesome and he handled their QBs so well. He's like Gregg Williams in that he adjusts his scheme to fit his personnel and makes the most out of them.

Cut
Jared Cook TE
Chris Long DE
Nick Foles QB
Rodger Saffold OG

Re-sign
Janoris Jenkins - 5 years $55 million (after being franchised)
Trumaine Johnson - 5 years $45 million
Rodney McLeod - 3 years $10.5 million
Greg Zuerlein - 1 year $1 million
Will Hayes - 3 years $9 million
Tim Barnes - 2 years $3 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Benny Cunningham - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender
Case Keenum - RFA Tender
Cory Harkey - 2 years $3 million

I can't take any more of Nick Foles at QB. We don't save much when we cut him but he's just not worth the roster spot. Mark Barron filled in admirably for Ogletree but he doesn't really have a spot once Alec comes back. Cutting Chris Long hurts but it's time. He can't stay healthy and his skills are declining. Britt has played well enough this year to keep as a deep threat imo. We bring Case Keenum back as the backup QB. Zuerlein gets a "prove it" deal.

Free Agency
Olivier-Vernon.jpg

Olivier Vernon DE - 5 years $50 million

10689.jpg

Marvin Jones WR - 4 years $24 million

I know what you guys are thinking, "Jerry, why the heck are we paying so much for a DL?" With Chris Long declining and being cut, I think it would be a smart move for the Rams to consider finding a big time talent to replace him. We have a strength...our DL...that is tough for any team to match-up with. I think we need to continue to play that up. Vernon's sack totals don't tell the entire story. He's a disruptive defender that can get after the QB and defend the run at a high level. With the talent on our DL, he'll be a threat for double digit sacks year in and year out while also being an outstanding run defender. Best part of the deal? He's only 25 years old.

I was a little iffy on Jones because he missed all of 2014 with an injury but he's come back and stayed healthy this year. I watched him against Denver and I was impressed with how he played. He got behind their talented corners a couple times on deep balls but McCarron overthrew him. He made some nice catches on the sidelines and ran good routes. He's not a superstar WR but he offers us a quality #2 WR that can get open deep and make plays on the sidelines.

Trade
Rams trade Round 1 Pick #15, Round 2 Pick #12, 2017 1st, and 2018 1st
Titans trade Round 1 Pick #1

I know that some people will object to giving up this much for one player but I think Goff is worth it. Don't think anyone will be complaining when he makes us a Super Bowl contender. I know what some people are thinking, "Why would the Titans do this?" The simple answer is look at what the Rams did when Fisher came on board. They made the RGIII trade. We desperately needed talent and thought we had our QB so we made a trade that would offer us the talent we needed to build around that QB. The Titans are in the same spot. They believe they have their QB but they need to put talent around him. This trade gives them a chance. Plus, outside of Goff, the top two players in this draft are a DE and an OT. The Titans already have a young LT (Lewan) and two DEs (Morgan and Orakpo). While I don't think they'd have an issue taking Bosa or Tunsil, both guys play positions where they don't have glaring needs. So it helps them out to drop down in the draft, pick up a bunch of premium picks, and add a talented player at a position where they need more help.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #1 - Jared Goff QB California

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxW_bIhc8Dc

Analysis: Yes, I did compare Jared Goff to Peyton Manning. It's impossible to know if Goff has Manning's unbelievable football IQ but in terms of tools and play style, Manning is who he is most similar to. He's the prototypical pocket passer that we're all dreaming of. His Offensive Coordinator was talking earlier this year about how he has no idea what Goff and his WRs are doing on some plays because they've designed a system of hand signals which allows them to change plays and routes...AND HE'S GOT NO PROBLEMS WITH THEM DOING THAT. That's serious trust in a young QB. What does Goff offer? What doesn't he offer is the better question. And the answer to that question is elite arm strength, 4.5 speed, and a 230+ pound frame. What he does offer is an underrated but not elite arm, awesome accuracy, active feet, outstanding pocket presence and movement, poise under pressure, an extremely high football IQ, and great mental processing speed. Basically, this kid is one of the pure best throwers I've evaluated with some of the best pocket presence/movement that I've evaluated, and is not lacking in any way mentally. The only question with him is his offensive scheme and I'm not worried.(although he does have some minor inconsistencies with his lower body mechanics...namely throwing off his back-foot...that can be improved) Last year, I pounded the table for us to trade up for Winston or Mariota. That wasn't possible. Tampa Bay and Tennessee weren't going to let it happen. This year, we have a chance because Tennessee, San Diego, and Dallas all have franchise QBs. We need to trade up and get our guy. If Goff had played in a pro style offense like Manning and Luck, he'd be getting similar hype.
NFL Comparison: Peyton Manning

Round 2 Pick #14 - Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSh6yeGjWs8

Analysis: Boyd hasn't been in many of my recent mocks but don't think it's because I've cooled on him at all. I've liked this kid since he was a true freshman. At 6'2" 200 pounds, Boyd is not a burner and doesn't offer dominating size and strength. This leads some to doubt whether he'll separate at the next level. People said the same thing about Keenan Allen and quickly found out that Allen had no trouble separating against NFL CBs. The same will be true of Tyler Boyd. While Boyd does not have elite athleticism or size, he does have outstanding acceleration, quickness, fluidity, and body control. He's also a highly intelligent receiver and a nuanced route runner. He makes crisp cuts, he attacks zone coverage effectively, and he understands how to run his routes in order to position the corner across from him to create separation. Due to his body control and awareness, Boyd works the sideline with veteran precision and does an excellent job of getting proper depth on his routes. Boyd also possesses a great pair of hands which allow him to make tough catches in traffic, go up and get the football in jump ball situations, come down with contested catches, and make acrobatic catches on inaccurate passes. He has the occasional concentration drop but that's not out of the ordinary in young players. In addition to that, Boyd is a very dangerous player with the ball in his hands because he has good vision, isn't afraid of contact, and can cut on a dime. He's a very elusive player. Aside from Boyd lacking dominating size and speed, the biggest weaknesses I see in his game are his inconsistent effort while blocking and his attitude. On film, Boyd comes off as a bit of a diva. He's prone to sulking and visible frustration if the ball isn't coming his way or the QB is making mistakes. But that's a pretty common trait in WRs. He'll need to control his temper and show a more consistent motor in the running game at the NFL level.
NFL Comparison: Keenan Allen

Round 3 Pick #13 - Scooby Wright III ILB/OLB Arizona

View: https://youtu.be/4PUWnNxGqYE

Analysis: According to Arizona, Scooby Wright had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs in 2014 ALONE. Unfortunately for him, he's missed almost this entire season thus far with injuries. This is a kid that doesn't have the NFL look. He's listed at 6'1" 246. I think he'll come in closer to 5'11" 240. But he's a guy that plays with so much passion, relentlessness, and heart that his average athleticism and underwhelming size don't limit his game. He has top tier instincts, great play strength (gym rat), and plays with reckless abandon. Sometimes, that reckless abandon will cause him to miss tackles but it's worth it with how often he's in the back-field making plays. He's Arizona's defensive leader, he is the guy that makes sure everyone is lined up properly, and he's the heart of that defense. They also will move him down to DE on certain passing downs and he's a disruptive, relentless pass rusher. This guy is James Laurinaitis's heir apparent. If Wright isn't available, Tyler Matakevich from Temple and Kentrell Brothers from Missouri are also worth considering. But right now, Wright is being considered a mid round pick due to his lack of measurables and his injury keeping him out all year.
NFL Comparison: Chris Borland

Round 4 Pick #12 - Bryce Williams TE East Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imwLMD_8MO4

Analysis: Bryce Williams is a former walk-on at East Carolina that has proven himself to be a very intriguing tight end prospect. At 6'6" 260, Williams has NFL size and a frame that still has growth potential. He'll need to get a bit stronger to be able to block in line at the NFL level. However, Williams played FB in the past at East Carolina and is a very willing blocker. His technique needs a lot of refinement but the mechanics are in place and there's no lack of want-to. He actually looked surprisingly good in pass protection when I saw him so there's definitely upside there. As a receiver, he was one of the most productive TEs in college football with 58 catches for 588 yards and 4 TDs this year. Williams displays good agility and burst with solid top-end speed. He's not going to be torching teams up the seam but he has the athleticism to get open in the short to intermediate range. He also is a sure-handed TE that is willing to make catches in traffic, will go up and get the football, and will battle defenders for the ball when it is in the air. He's willing to get physical and use his big body. After the catch, he's got some elusiveness for a big man and doesn't go down without a fight but he's not Rob Gronkowski in terms YAC. Solid overall YAC skills, though. As a rookie, he'll likely see limited snaps. Will need some time to get his blocking up to par and get the pro game down but he should be able to contribute on 3rd downs early on as a reliable target and has potential in the red-zone.
NFL Comparison: Todd Heap

Round 6 Pick #15 - Mike Matthews C Texas A&M

View: https://youtu.be/6osh3LY1VXk

Analysis: Yep, there's another Matthews. Mike isn't blessed with the size that Jake had but he's definitely got the same sort of athleticism and feet that Jake has. Body is a hindrance. Undersized at 6'2" 290ish and he appears to have short arms. My guess is around 32 inches. Wouldn't be surprised if they're shorter than 32. This does cause him some occasional problems. As a pass blocker, he's an absolute rock. He knows when to help, he's an intelligent player that handles stunts and blitzes well, and I didn't notice any issues with bad snaps. In 1-on-1 situations, he consistently shut his man down. Even when his man lands a jarring blow, Matthews is able to drop his butt and widen his base while establishing proper hand positioning and locking on which allows him to stonewall the bullrush after a step or two. When his man tries to knife past him with agility, Matthews shows great footwork and body positioning to slide with the defender, push him up-field, and position his body between the defender and QB at all times. However, Matthews will occasionally duck his head and lunge at defenders because of his arm length and he doesn't have a powerful punch. Often is catching the defender but he's strong and polished in the lower body which allows him to handle this well. As a pass protector, he looks like a quality player and a pro ready guy. As a run blocker, he needs work. Great movement skills, feet, and fluidity which allows him to reach defenders and pull or attack the second level effortlessly. However, he needs to play under control and use angles better on the second level and in the open-field. Too often misses his man because he doesn't position himself well. When blocking 1-on-1 on the LOS, he has enough sand in his pants to get push but he doesn't sustain blocks well. Again, I think the short arms hurt him here and he needs to play with better leverage. As a run blocker, he certainly has upside especially in a zone blocking scheme but will be hit and miss until his OL Coach polishes some technical aspects of his game. Frankly, I'm shocked that NFL teams don't seem to be higher on the guy as I have him as a Day 2/early Day 3 pick but then again, Center is probably my worst position when it comes to evaluations.
NFL Comparison: Jason Kelce

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Kenny Britt
ZWR: Marvin Jones
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Jamon Brown
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Garrett Reynolds
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Olivier Vernon
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
OLB: Akeem Ayers
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

My hope is that Mike Matthews, Tyler Boyd, Scooby Wright, and Bryce Williams are ready to contribute during some point in their rookie year. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Boyd pushes Britt early on for a starting job as he's a fairly polished kid coming from a pro style offense. I also wouldn't be surprised if Scooby Wright finds a way onto the field as a rookie because he's a very versatile player that Gregg Williams will likely find a way to make use of him. Mike Matthews will probably need to bulk up and improve his run blocking technique before he's ready to play so he might not be ready to start over Barnes in Year 1. Bryce Williams will need to get stronger and improve his blocking. My expectation is that he'll see the field on passing downs once he gets the offense down but probably won't be a full time starter as a rookie.

I know a lot of you are going to hate the Jared Goff trade and think it's a crazy move but I'm convinced that in 3 years, you'll all recognize that Goff would have been worth it. And in 10 years, none of you would have thought twice about giving up that much for rookie Goff. I am convinced that QB can lead us to a Super Bowl. As a rookie? Nah. That's unrealistic. But in the next 5 years? Yep. I think so. Our defense and rushing attack are there. Give us a legitimate top tier QB and we could have a run of absolute dominance like the Patriots did.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
That's about the price you would have to pay to get Goff. Trading all those picks didn't kill the Redskins, and we have had only 4 winning seasons in 26 years, so we might as well take the risk. Goff does the small things well. That's why I'm so enamored with him, plus he has great arm talent. Huge upside.

I think I may go with Henry in the second due to our OC, but I really like Boyd. There are a lot of very good pass catching options in the second.

It would improve our team. That's all that matters. We have a playoff caliber defense and run game. Goff definitely has superstar potential.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's about the price you would have to pay to get Goff. Trading all those picks didn't kill the Redskins, and we have had only 4 winning seasons in 26 years, so we might as well take the risk. Goff does the small things well. That's why I'm so enamored with him, plus he has great arm talent. Huge upside.

I think I may go with Henry in the second due to our OC, but I really like Boyd. There are a lot of very good pass catching options in the second.

It would improve our team. That's all that matters. We have a playoff caliber defense and run game. Goff definitely has superstar potential.

I think with the OC, it made more sense to me to go with Boyd if we had to choose one. Barnidge was a journeyman before going to Cleveland. Plus, I'd like to get a young guy here to upgrade on Britt in the future. Britt is a good vertical target but he's a highly inconsistent player on shorter routes. That's where Boyd can really do damage. And ultimately, I think we need a guy who can consistently get open on short and intermediate routes.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Love it!!!! Call Snead now and make this happen! I'd cry tears of joy if this all happened.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Trading all those picks didn't kill the Redskins, and we have had only 4 winning seasons in 26 years, so we might as well take the risk.

And look how well their QB draft selection went :( and they're now running with a 4th (?) round QB...

I'm just not getting all the Hype you guys are throwing on Goff, he doesn't seem that special to me at all

Stel

Starter
I would love it if you could pull off that trade, off season, and draft. However, I think the #1 pick would cost us more draft capital than you show.

Washington's trade with us to move from #6 to #2 cost more draft capital than what you show us spending to move from #15 to #1. Same picks as involved in our Washington deal, but the draft slots are lower. I show values from the trade value chart inside ().

Our trade with Washington sent #2 (2600) in return for #6 (1600), #33 (580), and Washington's next two #1 picks. Valuing future picks is a bit less mechanical, but generally what I've seen is that you have the value of the pick for each year in the future it is. Since you don't know what a team's draft position will be, assume the middle of the round. That would make Washington's two future #1s to us worth 500 and 250 respectively (1/2 the value of a mid round #1 and 1/4 the value of a mid round #1). The total trade would be: We gave up 2600, Washington gave up 1600 + 580 + 500 + 250, or 2930. [I've always though we "got to them" for that second future #1]

Whether teams follow the trade value chart or not, if you apply it to past trades, the values work out pretty close to it. Since your proposed trade uses the exact same picks, whatever rules you use the value system would be comparable.

You proposed trade with Tennesse to obtain the #1 pick has us going from #15 (1050) to #1 (3000). To do that, you have us trading our #15 (1050), the 2nd from Philly, #43 (470), and our next two first round picks. That trade value analysis would be: Tennesse gives up 3000, we give up 1050 + 470 + 500 + 250, or 2270.

I see no way Tennessee would move from #1 to #15 this year for that return. To make that deal, I think it would take at least our regular second round pick, #45 (450) as well as our third round pick #76 (210) and fourth round pick #110 (74). With those additional picks, St. Louis would be giving up 3004 points to move up to #1 (3000).

Essentially, I think it takes our entire 2016 draft AND two future number 2s to get the #1 pick. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I'm open to considering it based on what I see in the pre draft process.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that's a reasonable price to pay for that pick. And if possible, keeping one of the 2 #2's would be great.

Only thought that I have is regarding Jeffrey. Im starting to wonder if he will be franchised after all. I dont know if he's trying to get out of town, or if he's injury prone but the dude misses a lot of games. Furthermore, didnt they draft a WR last year #1?
Just a thought, he may be available. But also may be damaged goods

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This year, we have a chance because Tennessee, San Diego, and Dallas all have franchise QBs. We need to trade up and get our guy. If Goff had played in a pro style offense like Manning and Luck, he'd be getting similar hype.

I include Dallas in the group of teams that needs a quarterback. In order, Cleveland, Dallas, San Francisco, Philadelphia all should be lookin at QBs. When is the next time they will be drafting this high? If you are in a position to take a top QB and you don't have one, or yours is aging or always injured, then you should pick one.
You could even throw in a team like New Orleans who are rumored to be making the team over. We don't really know how much the Bears like Cutler, or the Dolphins like Tannehill.

But just say that at least 4 teams higher than the Rams need a QB. The Browns at #2 could easily make a better trade to move up one pick and ensure they get their guy, whomever that is. Then Dallas is at 5 and the Niners at 7. That is stiff competition to move up on. However with those 4 teams looming, if the Rams even want to get a bit of a project like Wentz, then they probably have to make a trade up. Wentz will really have to test bad for a team like Dallas who has an aging/injured Romo to pass on him.

I am a little cooled on Boyd. I am leaning towards Josh Doctson mostly, or Corey Coleman. I also really like Mike Thomas out of Southern Miss. a little later in the draft. The rest of the draft looks fine. Matthews would be a good choice at OC, especially in round 6.

In Free Agency the choice of Vernon is one I like. I would love Mario Williams there but he is unlikely. If you recall I had Vernon mocked to the Rams as a linebacker. You said 'why draft a 3/4 Linebacker to play in a 4/3 defense?" . He played very well as a linebacker in a 4/3 in Miami, so he is scheme versatile, which is something Fisher and Williams like in their players. He would be a good fit.

I am fine with Jones if they don't have to break the cap to get him. He is a solid WR.

I was questioning all of these mocks that have Long being released. I figured he can heal up and get through one more season and switch spots with Hayes as the depth. But then I saw him chasing a play in one of the later games. I think it was Tampa Bay. I couldn't believe how slow and lumbering he looked. He clearly has lost a step or 8. I still try to bring Barron back. He was invaluable this year and is the type of player that you just figure out how to get into games. The Rams don't have enough star types to let one go. Most think he can get a huge deal this offseason but what will that deal be paying him to play? Strong Safety? WLB? SS don't demand huge contracts and he is still a bit smaller for WLB. Will teams be willing to throw a great deal of money at him to play either position full time? We'll see. If he is cheap enough I keep him on.

Athos

Legend
Wow! Goff has basically been calling and changing plays with his WRs?

That's a level of QB intelligence you just don't see in the college game anymore and it's rare when you do.

My woody for Goff is getting so hard I may need an ER visit.

:ROFLMAO:

Dooooo it! Everything it takes. Passing on trying to trade up for him will be the second greatest failure of this organization 2nd only to treating Warner like garbage and pawning off the GSOT piece by piece.

Never been as smitten by watching a QB since Luck at Stanford.

Love how his feet are always active. His touch. Mobility. Sliding in the pocket. And anticipation passes. The passes that separate average from above average and above average from elite.

Athos

Legend
As for the trade chart, I don't think that tells the whole story. It's all about who offers the best deal. With the holes TEN needs to help Mariota why wouldn't they?

And I say the trade chart is bunk because that trade chart basically allowed us to get Tavon, Tree, GRob (eh), and Aaron Donald.

More than anything those extra 1s let you exercise risk while still getting a dominant player or go both O and D.

The point totals of future licks aren't waited nearly enough.

If I were TeN and the Rams fielded that offer and it was the best, I'd take it.

Stel

Starter
And I say the trade chart is bunk because that trade chart basically allowed us to get Tavon, Tree, GRob (eh), and Aaron Donald.

I'm not sure what that means. The trade value chart didn't allow us to get any players, it only evaluates the relative value of draft slots when discussing and making trades of draft picks.

Call it bunk, but analyze the draft pick trades made in the last decade. The only one I can find which significantly varies from the trade value chart valuations is our trade with Washington where we, holding the higher value pick, got a premium. Somebody, or more precisely a group of somebodies, seem to think the trade value chart has merit.

Don't get me wrong. If Tennessee received no other offers, they might consider it. I just don't think they'd sell the pick that cheap. If Goff is really that good, they'll get other offers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Steep price to move up, but for the Rams to get up there it would take something along those lines. And I would be good with it, because people tend to overvalue those first round picks. Way I look at first round picks is if you don't get a difference making talent you whiffed on it. If you get a guy who can just stick on your roster and perform in a role, for the most part you blew it because you can get those types later. Getting a QB who might be elite is worth it IMO. The Rams are proof that bunches of picks and great talent all over a roster doesn't mean squat if you don't have a QB.

Re: Goff I will say of course that he's gonna have a learning curve in the NFL. His biggest adjustment will be that he is very bold in his decision making so he's gonna put up picks early as he learns not to force throws. He's also going to have to work on his throw accuracy particularly deep over the middle due to how good the safeties are, where what he thinks will be safe will often be a pick.

But he's got some things that I look for in QBs aside from his known strengths. I love QBs that keep their eyes downfield even when the rush is around them, because it is very hard to teach courage in the pocket. He sees the field well, and makes quick decisions which are also things that coaches have a difficult time teaching.

The rest of the draft is of course fantastic. Scooby in round 3 is very unlikely IMO but man it would be sweet. Boyd still gets listed in round 2 and might end up being the best WR option in this draft if you want a guy to contribute quickly. Coming out of the draft with Goff/Boyd alone plus just about any solid FA WR this offseason would give any OC what he needs to field a good offense, given the young OL and Gurley. I'd be extremely pumped by this draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not sure what that means. The trade value chart didn't allow us to get any players, it only evaluates the relative value of draft slots when discussing and making trades of draft picks.

Call it bunk, but analyze the draft pick trades made in the last decade. The only one I can find which significantly varies from the trade value chart valuations is our trade with Washington where we, holding the higher value pick, got a premium. Somebody, or more precisely a group of somebodies, seem to think the trade value chart has merit.

Don't get me wrong. If Tennessee received no other offers, they might consider it. I just don't think they'd sell the pick that cheap. If Goff is really that good, they'll get other offers.

It wouldn't make sense for them to settle. However, would Cleveland be willing to stand pat and take either Goff or Lynch? Then if Dallas thinks they are close, might they want a more NFL ready QB like Cook, and that leaves a battle between the Niners and Rams. The Rams could be more competitive e with the Niners, who have a few more holes to fill and may be more reluctant to trade picks after their player defections.

I guess anything is possible.

Stel

Starter
It wouldn't make sense for them to settle. However, would Cleveland be willing to stand pat and take either Goff or Lynch? Then if Dallas thinks they are close, might they want a more NFL ready QB like Cook, and that leaves a battle between the Niners and Rams. The Rams could be more competitive e with the Niners, who have a few more holes to fill and may be more reluctant to trade picks after their player defections.

I guess anything is possible.

If Dallas decided to take a QB in the first, they'd have the luxury of sitting him a year behind Romo. However, I think Dallas is in a win now mode and has some immediate needs to win their rather weak division. They only have 5 picks in the 2016 draft (rounds 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6) which is why I think they are a prime trade partner candidate for someone wanting to move up. Other than future QB, their needs (RB, DL, LB) don't require a top 5 pick. However, those needs could be met well with the acquisition of picks #15, #43 and #45 instead of #4. Dallas could really upgrade their team if they picked #15, #34, #43 and #45 instead of #4 and #34.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Love it, go big or go home! Once you get a franchise QB, who cases about first round picks, anyway? Seems like NE and SEA never have first round picks and they do just fine because they have a real QB, and in the NFL everything comes second to that. And even if Goff busts, it would at least create disarray and urgency to actually fix something instead of the Fisher plodding and complacency with the status quo.

I do have to get in my requisite Goff negative, of course. The hand signal thing isn't unique to Goff, it's always a part of air raid systems. It's just at Cal they've had the same core of QB/WRs for three years now, which means they've been able to tweak their "Bear Raid" beyond what they normally can with the usual college churn. They can let Goff off the leash and ad lib in part because the WRs are always on the same page as Goff after three years of playing together.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Dallas decided to take a QB in the first, they'd have the luxury of sitting him a year behind Romo. However, I think Dallas is in a win now mode and has some immediate needs to win their rather weak division. They only have 5 picks in the 2016 draft (rounds 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6) which is why I think they are a prime trade partner candidate for someone wanting to move up. Other than future QB, their needs (RB, DL, LB) don't require a top 5 pick. However, those needs could be met well with the acquisition of picks #15, #43 and #45 instead of #4. Dallas could really upgrade their team if they picked #15, #34, #43 and #45 instead of #4 and #34.

That would probably require a draft day trade. If the Rams are initially unwilling to move to #1, they could wait and see who is picked. If Goff goes and Lynch is still an option in their mind and he is there at pick 5, then they may be able to jump ahead of SF. Lots of maybe's if you consider it a 'must have' position pick.

Athos

Legend
@Stel

I meant in so far as the trade doesn't accurately qualify the value the future first round picks.

I think it depends on depth of a draft when in the year we got Donald, there was a plethora of seriously legit NFL talent in the top 15 picks.

And hell, if I was looking at future picks, knowing the ineptitude of the Rams, I'd be thinking I'm almost guaranteed of a top 10 to 15 pick.

If you look at future picks, DAL will likely be in the 20s and lower if Romo is healthy.

So I guess that leaves the Rams and Clevland as the battle of mediocrity and high picks.

But yea, would teams that close, like a DAL sell the farm when they're built to win now and can trade down and still possibly grab Cook or Wentz to sit behind Romo?

Stel

Starter
@Athos

I think Dallas would jump on a trade with us to exchange #4 for #15, #43, and #45, even if they had to give us back some later round or future non premium picks to even it out. With four picks between 15 and 45, Dallas could come away with a top notch RB, DT, OLB and still maybe get a QB to put behind Romo.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I like most of the moves. I'd hate to give up so much, but I love the draft, and FA pickups. I'd be OK, without the DE, I think we have some talent already on the roster, but we really need the WR's, and Jones is one of the one's that I really like that's on the market. It's a good market for FA WR's. No good for QB's, but we could trade for a backup, if we covet somebody. That QB class, a couple years ago, isn't looking too bad.

I hate to give up the future, but if we get all those guys back, our future would be very bright with all the moves you made.

Great job, Jerry.