Jrry32 Fix the OL Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I made some big changes including no restructure for Bradford. Just wanted to see how things would pan out if we have to keep him on his current deal. I'm working with the estimated $140 million salary cap. The focus in this mock is fixing this damn OL. I'm so beyond frustrated with it. This is what I'd do currently if I were in charge.

Released
Jake Long - $8 million in cap savings
Kendall Langford - $6 million in cap savings
Scott Wells - $3.8 million in cap savings
Eugene Sims - $1.9 million in cap savings
Isaiah Pead - $900,000 in cap savings
Total Cap Savings: $20.6 million
Total Cap Room: $30.1 million

Re-signed Players
Joe Barksdale - 5 years $30 million($5 million first year)
Kenny Britt - 3 years $15 million($5 million first year)
Lance Kendricks - 2 years $6 million($3 million first year)
Alex Carrington - 1 year $1.5 million
Shaun Hill - 1 year $1.5 million
Cory Harkey - ERFA($645,000)
Tim Barnes - RFA($1.4 million - Original round)
Johnny Hekker - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Rodney McLeod - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Total Cap Spent: $18.8 million
Total Cap Room: $11.3 million

Free Agency
C.J. Mosley DT
c.j.-mosley-suspended.jpg

1 year $1.7 million

Rotational DT known for his run stuffing ability to replace Kendall Langford.

Trades
St. Louis trades HB Zac Stacy
Tennessee trades 6th round pick

St. Louis trades Pick #14
Carolina trades 2nd(#9), 2016 1st

St. Louis trades 3rd round(#14)
Denver trades 3rd round(#30) and 5th round(#30)

St. Louis trades 2015 5th and 2016 conditional 4th(becomes a 3rd if Glennon throws 20+ TDs)
Tampa Bay trades QB Mike Glennon

We trade Stacy because he's fallen behind Cunningham and Mason but still has value and could be a good HB on another team. Tennessee wants to replace Shonn Greene and Stacy offers them a better version of Greene to pair with Sankey.

It seems like there's usually an opportunity to move down that surprises folks. This is a total shot in the dark but Ron Rivera is on the hot seat so Carolina makes a gutsy move. They already have their franchise QB and they trade up in order to spend two top 15 picks this year on help for Newton. I don't like the QBs after Winston and Mariota in this draft. This is the last year of the Bradford experiment unless he earns an extension, we might as well have ammunition if we are going to move up in the draft in 2016. I think that QB class has more potential to have depth than this one with Jared Goff, Christian Hackenberg(I know he's struggled), Jeremy Johnson, Jacob Coker, Cardale Jones/J.T. Barrett, Gunner Kiel, and potentially more names. While some of these guys have not broken out yet, they have sky high potential. Hopefully, enough will break out.

The trade with Denver is just recouping a pick because I think my guy will fall to the end of the 3rd.

After watching 3 of the 5 games that Glennon started, I came away with the opinion that he's definitely worth the trade here. If Bradford does get hurt, we'd be in capable enough hands. I think Glennon fits the mold for our offense well. Had some bad moments but also made some wow throws. Overall, I thought his pocket awareness, presence, and movement was good although he's not mobile so he'll need to be protected. Arm strength is solid but nothing special. Like I said, I think he's a good fit for our system and still has upside worth developing.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #9 - A.J. Cann OG South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwRR2-tr_w

Analysis: I took time today to really watch some of Brandon Scherff and La'el Collins. My opinion is that Cann is just as good as both at OG. While, we sacrifice versatility, I think it's a smart idea to move down and pick up the value here with Cann in the 2nd rather than spending a mid first on one of those two. Cann doesn't have outstanding feet or lateral movement. However, that does not hinder him because he's so adept at identifying targets on the move, reading the defense, and getting a hat on his man. He's extremely technically sound with the strength and leg drive to move defenders off the LOS and put them on their back. Cann also is one of the best I've seen at maintaining leverage as an OL despite his 6'3"/6'4" size. He shoots off the ball low and gets underneath defenders. When pass blocking, he sits back in his stance comfortably with easy bend at the knees and hips. He's very difficult to move with a bull-rush and is very active and aggressive with his hands. He needs to get quicker off the LOS and has some issues with quick DTs that get skinny when pass blocking. He also needs to keep his head up as he gets a tad over-aggressive as a pass blocker. Still, this guy is a plug and play NFL LG and a great overall prospect. He demolishes people in the running game.

Round 2 Pick #14 - Cameron Erving C/OG/OT Florida State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os95Ie_HqPE

Analysis: I had issues with him at LT this year and last. However, FSU moved him to Center against Miami and he jumped back onto my board. He's an athletic kid with good size at 6'5" 310 but had some issues with his kick-slide and punch timing on the edge. That all said, he's really turned the corner since he moved to Center. I have had enough of Wells. Erving packs a punch that Wells simply doesn't have with great athleticism for a Center. He's still learning the position but his upside is through the roof and he offers versatility because he can play any position on the OL. Perfect guy to have as a 6th OL until he's ready to start.

Round 3 Pick #30 - Devontae Booker HB Utah

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11602362

Analysis: Booker is the definition of the word decisive and that's a great thing(it's what I said about Le'Veon Bell as a prospect). He doesn't dance in the back-field and he doesn't waste time. He gets the ball and he knows exactly where he's going. He does a really nice job of pressing the line of scrimmage before making his cut up-field. Even when forced to bounce it outside, Booker wastes no time in getting N-S. At 5'11" 205, he's not a power HB and shouldn't be mistaken for one. Booker has outstanding feet and explosive burst. He doesn't possess great long speed but in those first 5-10 yards, he's very fast. Booker uses his cuts well to setup defenders and blocks. He is shifty with quick feet and a nice jump cut. Booker also possesses impressive balance which makes him a slippery runner and tougher to knock off his feet than you'd expect. And probably the biggest thing for me with Booker is his ability to catch the football. He has outstanding hands and body control. He can adjust to poorly thrown balls and will make his mark in the NFL as a receiver out of the back-field. I love Booker's versatility and the urgency in his running style. He'll get the yards that are blocked and he can create some on his own with his cutting ability and slipperyness as a runner. Some scouts have compared him to Arian Foster.

Round 5 Pick #30 - A.J. Derby TE Arkansas

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11722579

Analysis: A.J. Derby was Arkansas's backup QB last year but moved to TE in the spring this year before his Senior year. While his stats don't seem elite, I think he's a kid who has a lot of upside to him. Derby is listed at 6'5" 255 and still has some weight to gain at the TE position. He shows off good athleticism as a receiver and has made some really nice circus catches this year. But most of all, despite being new to the position, Derby is a very willing blocker who shows a lot of promise in that department. Arkansas has used him all over the formation including at FB, in the slot, split out wide, and inline at TE. Derby is a high effort kid who plays through the whistle. His blocking and receiver skills all need polishing but this is a good kid to develop behind the TEs we have.

Round 6 Pick #4 - Ryan Russell DE Purdue
Analysis:
With Owa flying up the charts, I needed a new developmental DE and I think I found one in Russell. He's been miscast the last two years as a 3-4 DE in Purdue's defense which has stifled his production but he definitely passes the eye test. I saw him chase down Everett Golson from behind. He showed some serious get-off and closing speed for a guy who is listed at 6'5" 275. Also showed the strength to get movement with a bullrush and a strong punch. Needs to improve his awareness and pass rush moves but he has a great motor and will chase plays down 10 yards down the field. I think this is definitely a good upside pick as this kid is athletic, has a NFL frame, and has had his production stifled by a system he doesn't fit. IMO, if he were on a better team in the 4-3, based on what I've seen of him so far, he could go 3 rounds higher than this.

Round 7 Pick #31 - J.J. Nelson WR/KR UAB

View: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:11760552

Analysis: With this being the late 7th round, I usually look for a player that can fill a certain role for our team. J.J. Nelson returned FOUR kickoffs for TDs in 2014. He led the NCAA in average yards per kickoff return. Nelson is listed at 5'11" 160 but possesses breathtaking speed. I wouldn't be surprised if he flirts with a 4.2 40. I saw him run right by Phillip Gaines who ran in the mid 4.3s in a game. Nelson has rare speed, impressive cutting ability, and good balance which makes him a very dangerous returnman. However, the guy also actually has some WR skills that could allow him to challenge Givens's role as the situational deep threat. Even if he doesn't, this kid has potential to be a special teams dynamo. Bennie has done a great job on KRs this year but I'd love to get a guy who could take it to the house.

Starting Line-up
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: A.J. Cann
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: J.J. Nelson
PR: Tavon Austin

I still don't feel comfortable enough with any QB in this draft outside of the top two to choose one in the early rounds.

Some might be upset with Eugene Sims being cut but I just don't think he's worth the price in the role he has.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Not at all sure why you resign Carrington. The guy has literally done nothing in a Rams uniform. I'm not a fan of giving Barksdale that kind of money either, as his play has fallen off of a cliff from the Eagles game to now. A one-year prove-it deal at the absolute most, and if another team wants to overpay, then that's that. Also not a fan of trading Stacy for a sixth round pick. He's much more valuable to us than a sixth round pick who probably won't make the team. It's just that we don't use him enough, and I really don't understand why.

As far as draft picks go, I'm fine with Cann. Not fine with Erving; he and the rest of the FSU interior line were flat-out embarrassed when they played Florida.

I personally love the Carolina trade if we can't trade up, and if it's all right with you, I'd use it in my own mock. Scherff and Peat are probably long gone, and this class is so deep on the offensive and defensive lines, you're bound to have really good pla. I'm not going to lie; I love J.J. Wilson as a seventh round pick. Derby is an intriguing pick, and he kind of reminds of me of Matt Jones (except without the coke problem) in that he's a quarterback-turned-receiver/tight end.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not at all sure why you resign Carrington. The guy has literally done nothing in a Rams uniform. I'm not a fan of giving Barksdale that kind of money either, as his play has fallen off of a cliff from the Eagles game to now. A one-year prove-it deal at the absolute most, and if another team wants to overpay, then that's that. Also not a fan of trading Stacy for a sixth round pick. He's much more valuable to us than a sixth round pick who probably won't make the team. It's just that we don't use him enough, and I really don't understand why.

Carrington fits what we do. He's our 4th DT. I don't think it's a big deal. Just saves us from having to spend a pick on it. Not much in FA that fits what we do.

Barksdale isn't going to sign a one year prove it deal. He'll get solid money elsewhere. I don't see a reason why to hurt our OL's chemistry and let a young player go that's a solid starter. I think we just value him differently. I think he's a rock solid player that would look a lot better with more stable play inside of him. Especially if we could give him help with some of the edge rushers he struggles with. He's not elite but he's solid and a really good run blocker.

Stacy isn't getting PT. He's still an asset with value. It's smart to trade him now. Cunningham offers the same sort of skill-set but with much better skills as a receiver and the ability to return kicks. The longer Stacy toils on our bench, the more his value will depress.

With Booker, Mason, and Cunningham, there's no reason to keep Stacy.

I'm telling you, you'd love this kid Booker. Would not miss Stacy at all. Booker is just so good at finding and hitting the hole quickly. That's the most important thing you can do in the NFL. That kid will absolutely tear it up if he lands in the Shanahan-Gibbs ZBS. But I like him here because of how often we utilize the back-side cutback in our rushing attack. I think he fits our offense well.

Plus, the guy has OUTSTANDING hands. I mean legitimate WR like hands.

As far as draft picks go, I'm fine with Cann. Not fine with Erving; he and the rest of the FSU interior line were flat-out embarrassed when they played Florida.

I disagree. Think Erving played alright in that game and then looked great at GT. He's new to the Center position and I think he has a bright future there. Really like his tools and I think it fits him a lot better than LT. He needs development but he'd have time here.

I personally love the Carolina trade if we can't trade up, and if it's all right with you, I'd use it in my own mock. Scherff and Peat are probably long gone, and this class is so deep on the offensive and defensive lines, you're bound to have really good pla. I'm not going to lie; I love J.J. Wilson as a seventh round pick. Derby is an intriguing pick, and he kind of reminds of me of Matt Jones (except without the coke problem) in that he's a quarterback-turned-receiver/tight end.

Yea, go on ahead. I just pulled the trade out of my rear end haha.

I considered Scherff to be available but I didn't want to draft him there. Think Cann is every bit the OG that Scherff is. Had some major issues with Scherff in pass pro.

Derby isn't Matt Jones athletic(but I totally get the comparison) but he's definitely intriguing. May go higher but I was impressed by how well he blocked with how new to the position he is. Guy really gave such great effort. Needs to add muscle and functional strength but I love his tenacity and you can see he's really worked hard on his blocking technique. Still needs a lot of development but has a lot of potential.

Nelson was an intriguing pick for me. He might be long gone at that point. Hard to know. But he has serious speed and return ability. And I was pleasantly surprised by his WR skills.

Peat is returning to Stanford...at the moment at least.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Interesting mock offseason.

Quick Thoughts:

Anything is possible, but I believe that the Carolina trade is a pipe dream but I see where you were going there. I also believe that this would be a pretty decent draft to fix the Oline while moving down an acquiring more selections.

I'm just not a fan of obtaining another statue at QB so I'd be disappointed with the Glennon deal.

Booker, Derby, Russell, Nelson? You have really been doing your homework, because I'm not familiar with any of them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting mock offseason.

Quick Thoughts:

Anything is possible, but I believe that the Carolina trade is a pipe dream but I see where you were going there. I also believe that this would be a pretty decent draft to fix the Oline while moving down an acquiring more selections.

Any trade is going to seem like a pipe dream. I can't call up NFL GMs and gauge their interest. ;)

I'm just not a fan of obtaining another statue at QB so I'd be disappointed with the Glennon deal.

Yea, I know. But we just don't see eye to eye on that one. I don't see a running QB working well with Schotty.

Booker, Derby, Russell, Nelson? You have really been doing your homework, because I'm not familiar with any of them.

Yea, a lot of lesser known guys haha. Booker is definitely one you should check out when you have time. Like I said, he just identifies and hits the hole so quickly.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Jrry, how do you feel about Ronnie Stanley? There's been some buzz about him recently and apparently his stock is pretty high and he might come out even though he's a RSO with little LT experience. I've heard him compared to our very own Greg Robinson in athletic ability. Haven't looked at him though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry, how do you feel about Ronnie Stanley? There's been some buzz about him recently and apparently his stock is pretty high and he might come out even though he's a RSO with little LT experience. I've heard him compared to our very own Greg Robinson in athletic ability. Haven't looked at him though.

I haven't seen him yet. But from what I've heard from people I trust, he's a guy that might be headed for the top 10 and the #1 OT off the board.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Trading down to the second rnd for guard and center makes perfect sense. I'd be fine with having 2 second rnd picks if we could get 2 quality
o linemen.

duckhunter

Starter
Peat has applied to the NFL committee for a guesstimate on where he would go in the draft. If it is high first round, I don't see what he gains staying.

For such a big, athletic guy, he could really shine at the combine. Snisher would be hard pressed to pass him since they do like athleticism and even more so when size is there also. Add Wiz at center in FA and I don't care who the QB is. We gonna run the ball and you can't do a thing to stop us.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Cann, I like Scherff (bet he could play OG too), I like that kid Stanley outta Notre Dame...There are a bunch of solid Tackles at the college level that can bring what Barksdale brings. Not to keen on signing a guy who play drops in his contract year....Hell, that dude at Miami is looking better too. Until we get Barrett Jones some snaps, I really don't know what he brings to the table....So, unless we have some solid answers..RT, OG, & the C positions remain question marks....I'm more inclined to want a college tackle to move to guard in the pros.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Keep Robinson & Saffold, clean house on the remainig starters. JLong & Wells are done, Joseph & Barksdale are B level players at best. Take Collins in the first & Erving or Dismukes in the 2'nd. Find the best available OG in free agency. jmo.

Ramathon

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #9 - A.J. Cann OG South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwRR2-tr_w

Round 2 Pick #14 - Cameron Erving C/OG/OT Florida State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os95Ie_HqPE

I didn't say any mention of Davin Joseph....or did I miss it.(??)

So, it seems like you're hoping to get 2 starting OL out of the draft....in the second round.(??) Starting from day 1?

While anything's possible, that strikes me as overly optimistic. GRob was touted as virtually the 2nd coming, was the #2 pick overall, and didn't start until....what the 4th or 5th game this year.(?)

Assuming Wells, Long, & Joseph are all released, it does seem likely they'll re-sign Barksdale....though it sure seems his play has been far less inspiring this year than last. But I would also tend to think they'll try to sign at least one starting caliber FA OL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't say any mention of Davin Joseph....or did I miss it.(??)

So, it seems like you're hoping to get 2 starting OL out of the draft....in the second round.(??) Starting from day 1?

While anything's possible, that strikes me as overly optimistic. GRob was touted as virtually the 2nd coming, was the #2 pick overall, and didn't start until....what the 4th or 5th game this year.(?)

Assuming Wells, Long, & Joseph are all released, it does seem likely they'll re-sign Barksdale....though it sure seems his play has been far less inspiring this year than last. But I would also tend to think they'll try to sign at least one starting caliber FA OL.

No Davin Joseph. No need for that nightmare again. ;)

I'm hoping to get one starting OL in the draft. A.J. Cann...who is a four year starter at OG in the SEC. Greg was a two year starter and considered a freakish athlete but a raw OL. Cann is fairly polished. Has a few areas he needs to clean up but I think Boudreau can fix that. However, he's a guy that can start from Day 1.

Erving, on the other hand, likely needs some development so we'd start Barrett Jones or Tim Barnes at C until he's ready.

That'll give us the OL of:
LT: Robinson
LG: Cann
C: Barnes or Jones
RG: Saffold
RT: Barksdale
6th OL: Barnes or Jones
7th OL: Erving
8th OL: Person or UDFA (Probably Person...but I forgot to add him to my re-sign list)
9th OL: Rhaney

Rainram

Starter
If we can score an extra 1st round pick in 2016 (I'd even take a 2nd rounder) and still grab 2 guys in the top 50 in this class...I'd be happy. I'm fine keeping Barksdale...should be automatic unless he wants unreal $$. I'd kick the tires pretty hard on Wisniewski in FA as well.

Got no issue with Booker, and agree with your assessment. I doubt it's something this team does, however. (I know the mock is more of what you want as opposed to what you think the team will do...but I'd be surprised by the move)

So if you changed things up...added my boy at Center in FA, and didn't take Booker in the 3rd....there are some pretty decent options out there in that range for those two picks.

And I like this look... Robinson...Cann...Wisniewski...Saffold...Barksdale. That's beautiful. I'd still probably use the other 2nd or 3rd on OLine again though since we have depth issues...and I like WR around that spot as well.