Jrry32 First Mock - Happy Thanksgiving!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've held off this year until I felt we were out of the race. It feels like we are. That's partly because I haven't had much time to look into the draft this year.
Fire
HC Jeff Fisher
OC Rob Boras

Hire
HC Jon Gruden
OC Bill Callahan

Will Gruden leave the booth? I don't know. What I do know is that he expressed an interest in returning to coaching within the last year but seems to be waiting for the right job. I think the Rams present that opportunity. He gets to keep the defensive staff mainly in place as well as one of the best special teams coaches in the game. We have a top 10 defense and a great DC. Offensively, we need work.

However, we have a #1 overall pick, the 2015 OROY at HB, and a lot of young OLs. Gruden brings one of the best OL Coaches in the game with him in Bill Callahan as OC. He recognizes this as an opportunity like Tampa Bay. A team with a strong defense left over from a defensive-minded HC who couldn't get the offense over the hump. Except in this case, Gruden would have a young franchise QB to work with.

Cut
HB Tre Mason
OG Rodger Saffold
DE Eugene Sims
C Tim Barnes

Re-sign
CB Trumaine Johnson - 5 years $60 million
SS T.J. McDonald - 5 years $40 million
K Greg Zuerlein - 3 years $6 million
HB Benny Cunningham - 3 years $6 million
DT Dominique Easley - RFA Tender
DE Ethan Westbrooks - RFA Tender
DE Matt Longacre - ERFA Tender

Let Walk
WR Kenny Britt (I am worried about him working with a new HC. He doesn't have a strong track record working with coaches who aren't Fisher.)
WR Brian Quick (Going to get fresh blood in FA.)
QB Case Keenum (Mannion is the backup of the future.)

Free Agency
WR Alshon Jeffery - 5 years $60 million (True #1 WRs in their prime don't often hit FA. Jeffery is the type of player we've pined for for years. Some will doubt this signing because they feel Jeffery struggles to say on the field. However, Jeffery played in all 9 games this year prior to being suspended. And played in all 16 games in 2 of the previous 3 years. That means he's started every game he wasn't suspended for in 3 of the past 4 years. He did have injury issues in 2015, but that's football. I'll take the risk.)
WR Pierre Garcon - 3 years $15 million (Gruden has a long track record of signing veteran WRs in FA to play in his system. Garcon played for his brother Jay in Washington. He makes a lot of sense because of his knowledge of the scheme, veteran status, and relative affordability due to his age.)
C/OG J.C. Tretter - 4 years $24 million (Tretter played extremely well this year for the Packers before getting hurt. He can play four out of the five spots on the OL. He offers us a quality starting Center. He's also only 25 years old.)

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #__ - Jourdan Lewis CB Michigan
Round 2 Pick #__ - Forrest Lamp OT/OG Western Kentucky (Trade: 3rd, 4th, and 4th (Comp))
Round 5 Pick #__ - DeMarcus Walker DE Florida State
Round 6 Pick #__ - Josh Augusta NT Missouri
Round 6 Comp Pick - Dan Skipper OT/OG Arkansas
Round 7 Pick #__ - Nick DeLuca LB North Dakota State

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Alshon Jeffery
ZWR: Pierre Garcon
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Greg Robinson vs. Forrest Lamp
LG: Greg Robinson vs. Forrest Lamp
C: J.C. Tretter
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: William Hayes
NT: Michael Brockers
UT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Mark Barron
MLB: Alec Ogletree
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Jourdan Lewis
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Maurice Alexander
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Benny Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Unfortunately, it looks like Grob isn't going to make it at LT. If he cold play G, I'd be more than ok with that. He's got power to spare, but just can't handle the speed and space of LT.

Gruden would be safer than an unproven up and comer. He'd definitely get the offense going.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unfortunately, it looks like Grob isn't going to make it at LT. If he cold play G, I'd be more than ok with that. He's got power to spare, but just can't handle the speed and space of LT.

Gruden would be safer than an unproven up and comer. He'd definitely get the offense going.

I'd like to see what a better OL Coach can do with him. Unfortunately, this LT class doesn't look strong from what I've heard and seen. Lamp is an interesting one. He'll likely move to OG in the NFL due to a lack of length. However, he absolutely handled Tim Williams and Jonathan Allen in the Alabama game this year.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'd like to see what a better OL Coach can do with him. Unfortunately, this LT class doesn't look strong from what I've heard and seen. Lamp is an interesting one. He'll likely move to OG in the NFL due to a lack of length. However, he absolutely handled Tim Williams and Jonathan Allen in the Alabama game this year.
Saffold may be able to buy us time there. Just not sure for how long. He hasn't been as strong as in the past. Maybe he's still not up to strength.

I see Joyner isn't starting. I'm also ok with that. We could do worse as a depth player.

I'm also concerned about A Jeffries durability, and I doubt he's going to come cheap. I would still love to have him though.
Mike Thomas and Cooper would give us acceptable depth. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise and turn into more.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saffold may be able to buy us time there. Just not sure for how long. He hasn't been as strong as in the past. Maybe he's still not up to strength.

I see Joyner isn't starting. I'm also ok with that. We could do worse as a depth player.

I'm also concerned about A Jeffries durability, and I doubt he's going to come cheap. I would still love to have him though.
Mike Thomas and Cooper would give us acceptable depth. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise and turn into more.

Like I said, he's only missed games due to injury in 1 out of the past 4 years. If a guy hits FA, he's going to have flaws. But I'll take my risks. Keep in mind that Britt was considered a major injury risk too.

I like Joyner. But this CB class is too good not to make use of. Jourdan Lewis or Desmond King are absolute steals in the 2nd round. I'd love to move Joyner to FS.

I don't trust Saffold anywhere. He needs to be cut after the season imo. He's been as bad as Greg (if not worse).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hire
HC Jon Gruden
OC Bill Callahan
Lol, where'd you come up with that?? Haha

Really like the draft, and would love to get our hands on Garcon
Definitely like the Lamp pick, I started following W Kentucky during my Brandon Doughty phase and this kid has stuck out

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
No thank you to the coaching suggestions, way too west coast. I'd rather look for someone with cutting edge ideas, not look to do what everyone else is doing or even go backwards.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
So you like Augusta as well?

I love your draft. Not sure if we can get both Jeffery and Garcon, but I'm okay with them. I'm okay with your coaching selections, but I prefer the Stanford coach. I don't think Mason is on the team anymore, so cutting him is merely a formality.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
An early Christmas present from @jrry32 I'm cool with everything you have done. But I can't really comment on the draft stuff as I haven't really dove into it yet. But I trust your judgement and would be stoke with Garçon and Jeffries.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No thank you to the coaching suggestions, way too west coast. I'd rather look for someone with cutting edge ideas, not look to do what everyone else is doing or even go backwards.

Almost all of the NFL offenses come from one of three bases (WCO, Air Coryell, and Erhardt-Perkins). Some are a mix.

I don't really care about cutting edge ideas. I just want offensive execution.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like the draft, not the head coach.

Again Simms is a quality backup who isn't hurting the cap. I don't get why you cut him.

Maybe Tretter could be the leader the OLine lacks. I still see center as a need and an accomplished veteran could be an option.

I keep Britt. I think he has matured. Coupled with Alshon, you suddenly have some threats. Plus Jeffrey gets injured for a few games each year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like the draft, not the head coach.

Again Simms is a quality backup who isn't hurting the cap. I don't get why you cut him.

Maybe Tretter could be the leader the OLine lacks. I still see center as a need and an accomplished veteran could be an option.

I keep Britt. I think he has matured. Coupled with Alshon, you suddenly have some threats. Plus Jeffrey gets injured for a few games each year.

Simms is set to make over $3 million next year. We need to draft a young DE to develop. Westbrooks and Longacre will be cheaper to retain. No reason to keep him.

Alshon hasn't missed games due to injury in 3 of the past 4 years. We won't know if Britt matured until Fisher leaves. Giving him $8+ million a year is a pretty big risk.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Simms is set to make over $3 million next year. We need to draft a young DE to develop. Westbrooks and Longacre will be cheaper to retain. No reason to keep him.

Alshon hasn't missed games due to injury in 3 of the past 4 years. We won't know if Britt matured until Fisher leaves. Giving him $8+ million a year is a pretty big risk.

Simms is a much better backup up than Longacre and even Westbrooks. Westbrooks flashes at times and has a ton of potential but Simms is the better player. The receiving corps is too weak to let Britt just walk away. Doing that and signing Alshon would net you the same results. Garcon is on the downside of his career and has been for the last two years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Simms is a much better backup up than Longacre and even Westbrooks. Westbrooks flashes at times and has a ton of potential but Simms is the better player. The receiving corps is too weak to let Britt just walk away. Doing that and signing Alshon would net you the same results. Garcon is on the downside of his career and has been for the last two years.

We can't afford Alshon and Britt. Alshon is very clearly a better player, so it doesn't net the same results. Plus, Garcon may be on the downside of his career, but he's still providing #2 WR caliber play.

As for Sims, he's making too much for a guy of his skill level. Considering that Longacre and Westbrooks together would only cost around 1/2 to 2/3 of what Sims costs, it makes no sense to keep him when we need to draft another DE anyways. Those two and the rookie DE can fill the gap.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We won't know if Britt matured until Fisher leaves. Giving him $8+ million a year is a pretty big risk.

I love Britt, but he screams buyer beware to me.

8th season... hasn't surpassed 775yds in any of them. (Granted he will this year)

He'll be 29 next season, plenty of tread on the tires, but... man he feels risky.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Ahhh.....I've been waiting for one of these...I just started looking at college games 3 weeks ago in earnest....So, I'm pretty clueless on most of the fringe players...of rounds 3-7. This is a very deep CB & DE draft IMO...

Looking at that cb from Michigan today...Just by appearances, he's kinda small...but fast.

LOL'd about Saffold. For a vet, he sure does play like a rookie sometimes...I feel ya with replacing him, and drafting more depth there...Keep throwing assets at the positions until something sticks I say. But to your point, what if it IS coaching? We may be moving some of these guys a lil early. I do believe we need a center...After GB fucked us with that last center, I don't trust them. Rather, if they don't want you, pretty sure there's a good reason why.

The receivers....hmmmm...if we change OC's, I can see why you wanna change wr's...Still think Quick is better than Alshon..but I get it...He gets the game, Brian is still foggy about the basic concepts of playing wr in the NFL. Britt is tougher. He finally shows his skills, and now we dump him? And if I think Quick is better, I think Britt is WAY BETTER! LOLOLOL.....But I can't be mad if we roll out Garcon & Jefferies...as long as we draft ONE seriously talented rookie. Not those fringe wr's...the ones that NOBODY wants to draft..because of ability. Character concerns are not my thing...Hell, I'd still take a look at Josh Gordon...Hell, what's that guy that quit on the Jags? Justin Blackmon? Give his ass a call too...But a true quality wr...Just like Mike Thomas...yeah, the one on the roster...Trust me jrry, he can play...

DE...Sims...Westbrooks...nobody should worry when they leave...especially if we draft a serious DE...Longacre needs a chance...

Keep these coming...how about a thread on team needs and some of your top players in college at those spots?

I'm about to try to look at some of these guys...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Ahhh.....I've been waiting for one of these...I just started looking at college games 3 weeks ago in earnest....So, I'm pretty clueless on most of the fringe players...of rounds 3-7. This is a very deep CB & DE draft IMO...

Looking at that cb from Michigan today...Just by appearances, he's kinda small...but fast.

LOL'd about Saffold. For a vet, he sure does play like a rookie sometimes...I feel ya with replacing him, and drafting more depth there...Keep throwing assets at the positions until something sticks I say. But to your point, what if it IS coaching? We may be moving some of these guys a lil early. I do believe we need a center...After GB freaked us with that last center, I don't trust them. Rather, if they don't want you, pretty sure there's a good reason why.

The receivers....hmmmm...if we change OC's, I can see why you wanna change wr's...Still think Quick is better than Alshon..but I get it...He gets the game, Brian is still foggy about the basic concepts of playing wr in the NFL. Britt is tougher. He finally shows his skills, and now we dump him? And if I think Quick is better, I think Britt is WAY BETTER! LOLOLOL.....But I can't be mad if we roll out Garcon & Jefferies...as long as we draft ONE seriously talented rookie. Not those fringe wr's...the ones that NOBODY wants to draft..because of ability. Character concerns are not my thing...Hell, I'd still take a look at Josh Gordon...Hell, what's that guy that quit on the Jags? Justin Blackmon? Give his ass a call too...But a true quality wr...Just like Mike Thomas...yeah, the one on the roster...Trust me jrry, he can play...

DE...Sims...Westbrooks...nobody should worry when they leave...especially if we draft a serious DE...Longacre needs a chance...

Keep these coming...how about a thread on team needs and some of your top players in college at those spots?

I'm about to try to look at some of these guys...

Offense is about details and execution. Until Fisher understands that he will always fail at WR selection.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL'd about Saffold. For a vet, he sure does play like a rookie sometimes...I feel ya with replacing him, and drafting more depth there...Keep throwing assets at the positions until something sticks I say. But to your point, what if it IS coaching? We may be moving some of these guys a lil early. I do believe we need a center...After GB freaked us with that last center, I don't trust them. Rather, if they don't want you, pretty sure there's a good reason why.

I don't think GB wants to let Tretter go. But they have Linsley who is also a quality Center.

Still think Quick is better than Alshon

Chris-Farley-Sunglasses-Flip-Shock.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's a little early, but once again @jrry32 brings a smile to my face with this off season. Bill Callahan would be a tough get, he would still be under contract (2018) and although it would be a promotion, the Redskins would have to grant permission, now, it might happen if Callahan goes to Jay Gruden and tells him he wants to be reunited with his brother, but I have a feeling that GM Bruce Allen & Owner Daniel Snyder might deny permission and there is no guarantee that Callahan would want to reunite as well, but that would be a great addition for the offensive line because the offensive line coach would be a crucial hire as well.

Question will be, what other coaches will be fired and what quality assistants will be available? Jacksonville will make a coaching change and Doug Marone is a high profile OL Coach, but I would pass, will the San Diego Chargers make a change? If they do, I would focus on Jeff Davidson who also has Offensive Coordinator experience, might be a good match for Gruden, IMHO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a little early, but once again @jrry32 brings a smile to my face with this off season. Bill Callahan would be a tough get, he would still be under contract (2018) and although it would be a promotion, the Redskins would have to grant permission, now, it might happen if Callahan goes to Jay Gruden and tells him he wants to be reunited with his brother, but I have a feeling that GM Bruce Allen & Owner Daniel Snyder might deny permission and there is no guarantee that Callahan would want to reunite as well, but that would be a great addition for the offensive line because the offensive line coach would be a crucial hire as well.

Question will be, what other coaches will be fired and what quality assistants will be available? Jacksonville will make a coaching change and Doug Marone is a high profile OL Coach, but I would pass, will the San Diego Chargers make a change? If they do, I would focus on Jeff Davidson who also has Offensive Coordinator experience, might be a good match for Gruden, IMHO.
That would be something if Gruden didn't allow his brother to interview Callahan, that's why I think he would be a good fit.