JRob's Assessment: Rams vs Vikings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JRobinson

MiLB
The obvious: Big game at this point in the season, and both teams know it. There is no doubt that both squads will look to establish the run early and often. Both defenses are solid while both OLines have question marks. Who will protect the passer, and convert 3rd downs? That will determine your winner. Easy to say, tough to do against these Defenses.

The overlooked: Rob Havenstein has been very good so far while Greg Robinson still looks fresh off the draft stage a lot of the time; especially against speed rushers. If Rob misses this game(Questionable: Achillies), and with GRob potentially going up against Anthony Barr(Questionable: Back), this OLine could really have its hands full.

Sharrif Floyd(DT) is out, as well as Eric Kendricks(LB) per NFL.com. This should take a little bit of pressure off the OLine, but not much due to the solid depth the Vikings carry.

Chris Long is out but William Hayes is hardly a drop off IMO. We won't be missing much from the D unless TJ McDonald is out with a foot. He's had issues with his shoulder, and now his foot is nagging him. This will be interesting to see how his situation progresses come game time. One thing is for sure, Mo Alexander did a fine job when utilizing his playing time last week, and man does he fit this defensive scheme well.

Foles has had success against the Vikings in the past, but can he duplicate what he's done to them before? Not likely with this west coast system. But,if he has over 100.0 QBR and doesn't turn it over, the Rams have a good shot to take a victory from Minneapolis, Minnesota.

The Verdict: A classic grudge match of west coast "knock-em'-down drag-em'-out" kind of game is what appears to be in the forecast aside from cold air. I personally, think that the OC that can make adjustments to keep the QB upright during the second half; will win this game. As mentioned in "The Obvious" portion, lack of penalties, and 3rd down efficiency will go a long way for either team.

The Sleeper: Player- Stedman Bailey. Situation- Secure 'Time of possession' and let Gurley wear them down.

Rams 20
Vikings 13

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Turnovers

If the Rams win that battle hey should win the game. The Rams defense has been so good lately but they haven't faced a back with APs tools this season. I wonder if the defense focusing on him, will the passing game open up for Minnesota. I hope not.

I am hoping for this offense to start clicking and so far they keep letting me down. It does not seem likely that it will happen this week either.

Rams 21
Vikings 12

GoldenAges

UDFA
Name
Gold
I like this matchup for the Rams. The Rams defense should be able to exploit a weak Vikings OL. If the Rams are getting pressure on Bridgewater and with the Rams corners playing so well, I expect to see some Vikings turnovers. Stopping Peterson is obviously a key. This matchup is an advantage to the Rams with their very good defense against a mediocre OL.

On the other side Jamon Brown and GRob are both maulers in the run game and the Gurley Express should keep right on chugging along even without Havenstein. The Vikings defense has looked good but has also played weak competition. The key for the Rams on offense is to get Gurley going and get the ball out of Foles hands quickly. Foles can't afford to have another game like he had at Green Bay. Put the ball into Gurley's hands to win you the game, not Foles. Find ways to get Tavon Austin the ball. He is a dynamic playmaker who is lethal in space. The misdirection play with Gurley and Austin is majic. If they give Austin the edge it is a TD and if the spread out too much Gurley will smash it down the middle.

The Rams are on the cusp of being an elite team in this league. They just need to make sure they don't beat themselves because their talent is through the roof right now. The Rams defense is absolutely tops in my book. They will make Teddy look like a young QB on Sunday and Gurley will have another big day. Rams 24 Vikings 18

fearsomefour

Legend
I like the match up for the Rams, but, this is another hurdle game. The games won two games in a row in convincing fashion. That was a step. Now, winning on the road in a game they need, this is a big hurdle for the team.
If the team win on the road the rest of the schedule opens up for them. A real winning streak (at 3 games) would be in place and it would be interesting to see how long the Rams can maintain it. Streaks of 4 or more games don't happen often in the NFL.
This is a big game for the Rams. If they lose, their season is far from over but in the play off hunt to be 5-3 or 4-4 is a major difference.

JRobinson

MiLB
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like the match up for the Rams, but, this is another hurdle game. The games won two games in a row in convincing fashion. That was a step. Now, winning on the road in a game they need, this is a big hurdle for the team.

Agree in full here. We need to go into his game with a chip on our shoulder and the OLine needs to be physical at the point of attack.

But when the clock hits zero, the Rams need to have more points on the board then the Vikings. I believe the Rams are more talented than the Vikings overall, and as long as they are put in positions to succeed, we should win this game. This defense far supersedes any defense that we have had in a long while, and they will show it on the field come Sunday yet again.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Vikes have had trouble converting in the red zone, Rams have had success keeping teams out of the endzone. Vikes can't win without scoring touchdowns.

Rams will need a big play or two. Rams can score in all three phases, offense, defense or special teams. Just take care of the ball, don't give up a fumble-TD or pick-6.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I totally concur with @Elmgrovegnome turnovers win this game and the quarterback who turns the ball over the least will be the field general that leads their team to victory. I also give the Vikings a huge edge at placekicker as IMO, Blair Walsh is much more consistent then Greg Zuerlein especially lately.

I also feel that Adrian Peterson might want to take it upon himself to showcase that he is still the premier running back in the NFL. I'm hoping that Nick Foles has a coming out party and takes advantage of a secondary that is vulnerable with Jarrod Cook becoming the hero instead of the goat.

Rams...23
Vikings...20

fearsomefour

Legend
59 degrees and no moisture for Sunday....I think that is called perfect football weather.

Rams 23
Vikings 20

Redskins upset the Patriots also.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Gotta try and strip it from Peterson, he's a fumbler. Win the turnover battle or score on defense and we have a great chance...

Rams 24
Vikes 17

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I'm thinking Barron will be a factor in slowing down AP. He's been very quick at the point of attack, finding seams in the line, getting to ball carriers. If he doesn't bring AP down, the killer D's will be there posthaste to finish the play. If the Rams D was completely healthy, I'd favor them by 6. As it is, I think this game is a 3 point or less spread. 20-17 Rams, but they have to play a clean game. No turnovers, no missed FGs, no penalties to extend their drives.

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm not sure this is as big a test as many make it out to be IF the Rams can get the offense cranked up and keep the Vikes off balance.

I like the Bridgewater kid, but he's still learning and he still has a ways to go. What bothers me is if the Rams show up like they did in the Redskins game...it can be a LONG DAY!

I was at the SF game and I watched intently at Britt, Quick, TA, and Bailey. What I came away with after the game is that many of the passing routes are so ill conceived Quick and Britt that their talent is being wasted!

Quick isn't a burner and neither is Britt but the Rams are running these guys on medium to deep routes most of time or they're blocking for a run (and both guys block pretty well...especially Quick).

The Rams have to include their WRs in the short (5-7 yards) range more because Britt and Quick are big guys...and Bailey is quite shifty. Using these guys more in short passing only makes Gurley more lethal.

I'm convinced the Rams have plays to target Cook and TA in the pass game and they're leaning to heavy on those plays. OPEN IT UP! Hit your big WRs with some quick short passes early! It will only complement the run game and make the defense have to defend everyone.

The Rams defense can make this a LONG DAY for Bridgewater with the secondary playing as they have. They may get 5 sacks or more and 2 ints at a minimum.

I like the Rams 27-14...but they best have their heads on right!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Two things occur to me...

The Rams "controlled" the likes of Wilson, Roethlisburger, Palmer, Rodgers, and McCown. Why should Bridgewater be a stiffer challenge?

My second thing might be a bit controversial, but here goes. I suspect that Fisher deliberately de emphasized the passing O vs the Browns and the Niners. I believe that he thought he could win both games without a big show of passing O. Turns out that he could.

If I'm correct in this supposition, we may see a more aggressive passing O flexing it's muscles this Sunday. If I'm wrong and what we've seen is our best passing O... Well, then we are in deep doo doo. Lol.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I think the Vikings defense is overrated. Bunch of average guys going up against below average opponents. We'll see.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The key to beating a Zimmer defense is the play of the interior 3 OL. How those guys handle the scheme faking/crashing the A gaps is going to determine whether our offense can get that fast start they've been talking about all week.

Foles too, to a lesser extent. That stuff can freak a QB out if they are under center, particularly once they get home a couple times with some hits/sacks/negative plays. So yeah, start fast by handling that stuff up the middle and get the crowd out of it right out the gate gives the Rams a good chance. This should be the toughest game yet for Barnes in terms of keeping these guys settled down with good calls.

Lastly, I'm curious how Cigs plans to attack the Vikes' defense. Should be a great game.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't know what to expect. We were worried they wouldn't show up against SF because they won the week before. When it comes to playing flat after a win they have priors. And for a quarter and half it was starting to look like that.

But they got themselves right and pulled away for an easy win. So they got that monkey off their back. Are they satisfied with that? Or are they gonna come out and show they are a legit playoff contender? IMO, they have to improve on 3rd down or they won't be a playoff contender. They showed they're better than a few teams. But until they get better offensively, they'll continue to be a .500 team.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm hoping a coach took 4 guys, any tall guys, and tossed 200 practice passes to Cook with the 4 guys jumping up around him, in his face, where he gets used to catching the ball in a crowd. It's like practicing free throws for goodness sake! Hold onto the ball Cookie! WE NEED YOU!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I totally concur with @Elmgrovegnome turnovers win this game and the quarterback who turns the ball over the least will be the field general that leads their team to victory. I also give the Vikings a huge edge at placekicker as IMO, Blair Walsh is much more consistent then Greg Zuerlein especially lately.

I also feel that Adrian Peterson might want to take it upon himself to showcase that he is still the premier running back in the NFL. I'm hoping that Nick Foles has a coming out party and takes advantage of a secondary that is vulnerable with Jarrod Cook becoming the hero instead of the goat.

Rams...23
Vikings...20

After reading the stuff about '12 points being too many' I am wondering if the Rams defense is going to really step up in the coming weeks and pitch some shutouts. Starting with Minnesota would be huge. This defense really seems to be dialing in. That is why I did not pick a high score for the Vikings. 20 will probably be too high if you believe Williams.

Two things occur to me...

The Rams "controlled" the likes of Wilson, Roethlisburger, Palmer, Rodgers, and McCown. Why should Bridgewater be a stiffer challenge?

My second thing might be a bit controversial, but here goes. I suspect that Fisher deliberately de emphasized the passing O vs the Browns and the Niners. I believe that he thought he could win both games without a big show of passing O. Turns out that he could.

If I'm correct in this supposition, we may see a more aggressive passing O flexing it's muscles this Sunday. If I'm wrong and what we've seen is our best passing O... Well, then we are in deep doo doo. Lol.

I definitely think Fisher likes to change things up and a hold things back. I really believe that he loves surprises to give him an edge. I don't think they have shown all of their plays....despite him saying, 'this is what we do, stop us'. However the Rams are using a lot of high school level plays. How much more varied will they get with a base approach like this? It seems it would be very divergent from what they have worked on all year.