Joyner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did anyone see how they basically had Joyner playing as a 3rd safety out there sometimes i saw them drop him into high coverage and Mo came down other times it was him. I think thats why we saw a improved Joyner this game and I hope they keep it up.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Joyner brings it every play hes the smallest guy on the D and he plays like one of the biggest, love the intensity. Hes really coming on.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
If Gaines can ever return to his old self we are actually going to have a pretty stout group of corners. TruJo at #1, Gaines on the opposite side, and Joyner in the Nickel spot. Troy Hill would be the fourth man. That's a pretty solid group.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Gaines can ever return to his old self we are actually going to have a pretty stout group of corners. TruJo at #1, Gaines on the opposite side, and Joyner in the Nickel spot. Troy Hill would be the fourth man. That's a pretty solid group.
I was making this point elsewhere, I think the secondary will be good if, and at this point it's a big if, EJ comes back soon.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was making this point elsewhere, I think the secondary will be good if, and at this point it's a big if, EJ comes back soon.

I would agree with this. Having a healthy EJ Gaines playing close to where he was in 2014 will make this secondary very good. Once EJ returns & Troy Hill gets some serious on field fast experience things will settle down. You will have Gaines & Johnson starting on the outside with Hill as the top reserve & Joyner starting as the Nickel or on some plays he is the 3rd Lber (SSLB'er), on some others he plays deep safety & other times he plays the standard Nickel Back that's how important Lamarcus Joyner is to Gregg Williams. Corner Coty Sensabaugh will fall back to the 5th reserve corner position.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would agree with this. Having a healthy EJ Gaines playing close to where he was in 2014 will make this secondary very good. Once EJ returns & Troy Hill gets some serious on field fast experience things will settle down. You will have Gaines & Johnson starting on the outside with Hill as the top reserve & Joyner starting as the Nickel or on some plays he is the 3rd Lber (SSLB'er), on some others he plays deep safety & other times he plays the standard Nickel Back that's how important Lamarcus Joyner is to Gregg Williams. Corner Coty Sensabaugh will fall back to the 5th reserve corner position.
I didn't see him much later in the game but I liked seeing Cody Davis out there ally he made a couple nice plays.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Joyners best game of his life....he finally found someone he can stick....I bet it was the motivation of seeing Sensabaugh replaced, and figuring he was next. Not sure if I saw him in a safety look...more just zone coverage...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Definitely. If they can get Gaines back and healthy this year's secondary will be the best we have had in a long time.

But back to Joyner, really impressed with how well he played. With the secondary I tend to assume the Rams will be right in their decision making, so them wanting Joyner so bad in that draft I have felt all along he would be the guy we're seeing now. Not gonna lie, though, I had my doubts especially in preseason this year.

They're gonna get tested this weekend by Winston and Evans. Looking forward to seeing if they can shut 'er down and serve notice that this year's Rams defense is gonna be different.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Gaines made Evans look ordinary in college so if he can get back they could pitch another shutout.
If they don't let Winston run all over the place, that is.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have been one of Joyner's biggest critics. He showed me something against Seattle. Keep it up Lamarcus, I don't think you'd be happy working at Wal-Mart.

TexasRam

Legend
I loved Joyners bounce back game. The kid is not a man cover CB but is a real good roaming zone DB near the line of scrimmage.

His burst and ability to read a play and close the space is really good. He's also a fearless tackler that brings some pop.

With the emergence of HIll and return of Gaines soon, I think Joyners role in this defense will change to what it needs to be. Joyner and Barron are like two nomads roaming around wherever they want and constantly applying pressure in the backfield and filling up passing zones. Williams has really got a good system in place that makes it difficult for an offensive Coordinator to know where to attack.

We really have an unorthodox defensive approach that is hard to predict. Pressure coming not only up the middle from super talented Donald and Tree but also Barron, Joyner, Alexander and others are constantly shooting gaps and occupying unknown zones.

It's mad confusion coming from quick hard hitting intense players.

Last edited: