Joyner Playing through Broken Toe

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Joyner-Playing-through-Broken-Toe/9c5b6ffd-8758-49aa-bab8-e7f3a6068c50

It was mentioned on the TV broadcast of Sunday's victory and then head coach Jeff Fisher said it on his radio show Monday night — cornerback Lamarcus Joyner has been playing with a broken toe for the last two weeks.

“I just remember at the beginning of the second quarter of the San Francisco game, my left foot feeling asleep,” Joyner said. “And going back to the sideline woke it back up, but my second toe wouldn’t move.

“So I kind of knew it was broken, but I didn’t really want to say nothing to anyone because I know the defense was depending on me. And we didn’t have anyone else that repped nickel throughout that week,” Joyner continued. “So I knew I just had to be accountable for the defense. So I just kept my mouth closed and kept playing.”

The third-year defensive back described feeling a deep sense of responsibility to be on the field for Sunday’s win over Seattle.

“I know it was an important game to us,” Joyner said. “If you just think about 2014, that draft, how coach Fisher made a sacrifice for me by giving up a pick for me — all that kind of stuff just runs in my mind, like how this organization made a lot of sacrifices for me. So I could fight through something if I’m able to still go.”

Joyner gave Rams head trainer Reggie Scott, his staff and defensive backs coach Dennard Wilson plenty of credit for both getting him ready to play, and helping him play through some significant pain.

“I mean, it was bad. But my coach talked me through it — coach Dennard. He always checked on me every time I went to the sideline,” Joyner said. “Every time he said, ‘We need you,’ that just gave me strength, man. It just gave me the strength to fight through the pain.”

According to the press box stats, Joyner had five tackles — one for loss — and two passes defensed against the Seahawks.

“He played really well. He’ll be a little bit limited, I think, this week. But it was nothing that was going to keep him from playing,” Fisher said. “You can kind of get an appreciation for his commitment to this game and his teammates – playing through that is not easy.”

And it’s not like Joyner had a splint to tape the toes together.

“Nah, man,” Joyner said. “I just strapped on my cleats and I played.”

And that’s what the Florida State product is planning on doing until the toe is healed.

“Oh yeah, no doubt,” Joyner said. “It’s getting better. Like I said, we have the best training staff, I think, out of all 32 teams. And Reggie and all of those guys do a real good job with rehab.

“So, as long as I can play on it, I trust their words,” Joyner continued. “And, like I said, rehab has been going really good this last past week and a half. I mean, so I’m just going to do what I can until it’s all the way healed.”

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a crybaby punk. Clearly doesn't care about the team. Wasn't that the narrative after Hard Knocks?

jap

Legend
What a crybaby punk. Clearly doesn't care about the team. Wasn't that the narrative after Hard Knocks?

He is in good company. No less a stud than Jim Brown has played through broken toes and other woes, and Jim never revealed those ailments until his playing days were over. Never missed a game!

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale

YEP! That was a reaction. But really, the way he handled the Hard Knocks episode did shine him in a bad light. Maybe it was made for TV?

So did he redeem himself? Sure seems like it.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I have to give him credit for staying in the game a playing well considering his injury. He is one tough dude!

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Lamarcus, you're the man. Rams need your heart out there on the field.

Sorry for roasting you after seeing the Hard Knocks.

But we Rams fans saw how you shut down those SeaHawks on Sunday with broken toes.

Are we all good?

Bruce2980

Starter
Joyner did say on Hard Knocks that he loved the game and wasn't playing for money and that he wanted a starting role. And if he wasn't going to get that then just send him home. I see nothing wrong with being straight the F**k up honest and putting your cards on the table, yes, he used his emotions but nothing wrong with that IMHO. If everyone was that straight up, this world would be a lot better place. And to Fishers credit, he told him something to the effect that he has a starting role and that he is the best he has had on the team in the nickel slot and that the team needs him. Kind of strange how it all came together Sunday against the Seashits. Did Hollywood write that?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I said at the time it looked fake and the only reason they did it was to allow Fisher to tell a McNair story.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
not that im a vindictive person or anything but if i was a bucs player id be going for that toe anyway i could to try to slow LJ down because guy was straight up flying round that field against the hawks..swear the kid thinks he is bigger than he is and i love it

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
not that im a vindictive person or anything but if i was a bucs player id be going for that toe anyway i could to try to slow LJ down because guy was straight up flying round that field against the hawks..swear the kid thinks he is bigger than he is and i love it

I know it's a crazy comparison .... Joyner reminds me of LT, and I don't mean LaDainian Tomlinson . Its something in his body language and movement... and the way he hits with bad intentions without a wasted split-second of hesitation.

Joyner is still learning the game and plays a role that is incredibly difficult and practically impossible to get noticed positively without creating turnovers.
Our defense was great last Sunday and the fact that our midget nickel with a broken toe not only stood out but recorded the 2nd highest grade against a good QB who has some weapons in the slot....
As Darth Vader says- "Most impressive"

If anyone still isn't a believer in #20-
"I find your lack of faith disturbing"