Joyner Could Give Rams Their Own “Honey Badger”/Stalter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Joyner Could Give Rams Their Own “Honey Badger”
By Anthony Stalter

http://www.101sports.com/2014/07/22/joyner-give-rams-honey-badger/

The moment the Rams selected Florida State’s Lamarcus Joyner in the second round of May’s NFL draft, I couldn’t get Tyrann Mathieu out of my head.

Before tearing both his ACL and LCL in a December victory over the Rams, Mathieu was one of the better surprises of the 2013 NFL draft. His versatility allowed Arizona defensive coordinator Todd Bowles to be creative with his game plans, moving the rookie around the field like a playing piece on a chess board.

Mathieu made headlines in Week 1, causing a turnover by knocking the ball out of Jared Cook’s hands right before the tight end could reach pay dirt. In Week 2 against the Lions, he lined up outside the hash on a fourth-and-four with 1:22 remaining and was immediately pushed back by receiver Nate Burleson at the snap. But he recovered quickly, bringing Burleson down well before the first-down marker to seal the win for Arizona. One week later, he picked off Drew Brees in the end zone for his first career interception.

Seeing time at both nickelback and free safety, the end result saw Mathieu rack up 68 tackles, two interceptions, a forced fumble and a sack. Even though he was a first-year player, opposing quarterbacks had to know where he was on every play. He established himself as a sideline-to-sideline defender, capable of changing directions on dime and flying to the football. Outside of Packers running back Eddie Lacy, you would have been hard-pressed to find a better rookie from the middle rounds of the ’13 draft.

And thus the reason I couldn’t get Mathieu out of my head following the Rams’ selection of Joyner back in May.

At 5-foot-8 and 184 pounds, Joyner has a similar build as Mathieu (5-8, 186 pounds). He’s also versatile, spending time in the slot and at free safety in Jeremy Pruitt’s defense a year ago.

He’s a perfect fit for a Rams team that needed help at safety, as well as more depth at corner. He’s undersized, but he has experience lining up in the slot, as a safety and outside the numbers as a corner.

What I liked most about watching Joyner play at FSU were his instincts, awareness and his knack for always being around the ball. He does the little things, such as looking for the strip when tackling, avoiding blockers on his way to the ball carrier and selling blitzes before dropping into coverage. He has the ability to make an impact on Day 1, especially in the hands of a creative defensive coordinator like Gregg Williams.

Just like Bowles used Mathieu, Williams can line up Joyner all over the field in efforts to utilize his speed, aggressiveness and athleticism. Rodney McLeod remains the incumbent at the free, but it’s going to be interesting watching the Rams cross-train Joyner at nickel back and safety in training camp this year. It’s no different than how the Cardinals approached Mathieu’s development a year ago.

Not every team is fortunate enough to find a Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed in the draft. But the Cardinals proved a year ago that having defenders like Mathieu can make your defense more versatile. (Rob Ryan’s use of first-rounder Kenny Vaccaro is another example of how a defense can become more flexible.)

Barring injuries or a steep learning curve, it would appear as though the Rams have found their Honey Badger.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Joyner is gonna be better than the honey badger, hes a better athlete and a smarter player. The honey badger is a poor mans Joyner.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Joyner is gonna be better than the honey badger, hes a better athlete and a smarter player. The honey badger is a poor mans Joyner.

I would absolutely love that, but Mathieu is a pretty fucking good player and Joyner hasn't played a snap yet. I love his attitude and approach to the game. Really hope he does shine in this defense.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I love me some Joyner too, but, Mathieu was a first round pick before all the red flags on him started popping up, Joyner fell to the 2nd because of his size so I suppose you could make a similar case for him. Definitely gonna be fun comparing these two's careers especially in the same division!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Kinda funny how Atogwe put up great stats and made lots of plays but never really got any credit.

Off topic? Maybe.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
So potentially off this comparison would that make Joyner our version of the Possum Puncher (forced fumbles) , the Sneaky Skunk (nickel blitz disguised), the Beastly Beaver (closing hit speed) or all of the above? :sneaky:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Still don't think a 5'8 180+ guy, as a rookie, can line up at safety & make the tackle/hit/play when need be...I don't see it, and I suspect we're asking a lot of this guy if he winds up there....

And, yea it's a size thing...I don't mind 5'9-5'10 & 200+ lbs safeties after they learn the league.....but 5'8 we're asking for trouble.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Still don't think a 5'8 180+ guy, as a rookie, can line up at safety & make the tackle/hit/play when need be...I don't see it, and I suspect we're asking a lot of this guy if he winds up there....

And, yea it's a size thing...I don't mind 5'9-5'10 & 200+ lbs safeties after they learn the league.....but 5'8 we're asking for trouble.
You don't mind 5'9, but 5'8 is where you draw the line? Just curious.

Personally I could care less about any players size. When you play big (and Joyner played bigger than many 6 ft plus DBs) that's all that matters IMO.

dhaab

Rookie
You don't mind 5'9, but 5'8 is where you draw the line? Just curious.

Very strange. I'm not going to dismiss anyone based on their height. I've seen enough of Joyner to know he's a ball hawk and can dominate a college game against very good competition. Let's hope he can do it in the NFL as well.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

He may be small, but he comes in hot like a hellfire missle. Some NFL talents he hits in this video are Eifert and Michael Floyd for ND. Way out matched in the size category, but when you win the leverage game, you can still whoop some ass.