Josh Norman is now a free agent

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
8 teams reportedly reached out to him already. The Rams are one of them supposedly. Niners, Jags, Steelers, Bears some of others. Niners rumored to be the favorite to, overpay, I mean land Norman.

I wouldn't mind if the Rams signed him. Great corners usually play well wherever they go. He is 29 so probably wants 3-4 year contract. With the Rams having 70 million below the cap next year maybe they can work him in. He would be off the books in time to sign Goff to his big contract.

Apparently he wanted 6 years, $96m.

Name
Troy
There's two types of players I always hate seeing teams pay big money for: star wide receivers and cornerbacks. I was going to say four, and add safeties and defensive linemen, but more often than not we see receivers and cornerbacks get big money and never live up to the hype. I hope the Rams stay far away from this cat (er, former cat)

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If he signs a 1 year deal to hit free agency again in 2017 - I'd like to be that one year team.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Can someone explain to me why being a zone coverage CB is so different then being man coverage one? I've played football in high school and semi pro a little and never had trouble switching between zone and man. Isn't a corners job to cover the guy in front of you? If you can't cover one on one, why are you in the NFL? Always confused me when someone claims a CB is strictly a zone guy. Like he doesn't know how to line up and cover a guy.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I wonder if this event may encourage Tru to sign long term?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Kinda surprised he's getting so much love in here. I see that talent, but I side with those who have already noted the prohibitive factors (i.e. His cost, the impact in retaining some of our own, the system, age, it may prevent us from going after WRs or other positions/players, to name a few).

Pass.

There was a post on the board not long ago about how much impact a good corner can have when it comes to keeping opponents off the scoreboard. It was eye opening. I am convinced that top corners are a must to have a top defense. New England and the Broncos both have good corner play, same with Seattle. The way teams pass now, having a good pass rush isn't enough. Norman is better than JJ IMO. And by the time his deal is up Goff/Wentz will be ready for the big contract.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Can someone explain to me why being a zone coverage CB is so different then being man coverage one? I've played football in high school and semi pro a little and never had trouble switching between zone and man. Isn't a corners job to cover the guy in front of you? If you can't cover one on one, why are you in the NFL? Always confused me when someone claims a CB is strictly a zone guy. Like he doesn't know how to line up and cover a guy.

Zone corners don't have to be as lose in the hips. Usually they are good with recovery speed but not at sticking to a WR. They read and react to the QB. I'm no expert on the details but it takes much more athleticism and flexibility, plus toughness to play press man.

I think if the Rams really are interested then they fear Gaines is not ready. Williams play's both zone and man so scheme is not an issue IMO.

Psycho_X

Legend

Man to man you have to stick with your guy from beginning to end of the play. Zone you cover an area and react to who comes into that area. So, generally speaking, someone not as fast and especially not as athletic (loose hips, quick feet) can still do well in zone coverage but might get beat by a WR who is able to pull away through quick moves or just plain speed in man to man. Basically you're not asked to stay step for step with a WR from hike to whistle in zone so it's slightly more forgiving. That's a very basic explanation.

Edit: Elmgrove beat me to it.

Psycho_X

Legend
Also, Norman is not worth $16 mil a year and we don't have the cap space anyway unless we released some. We don't have a ton of draft picks but will still probably have $5-6 million in rookie contracts to sign.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Also, Norman is not worth $16 mil a year and we don't have the cap space anyway unless we released some. We don't have a ton of draft picks but will still probably have $5-6 million in rookie contracts to sign.

Or restructured. But maybe teammates wouldn't like letting JJ walk then restructuring for Norman.

jap

Legend

He ain't getting 16 million from the Horns. However, if he is reasonable he can earn a lot of extra money working in the Showtime! city with advertisements, endorsement deals, etc. Kevin knows how to shuffle the greenbacks around to create space, even if it means getting some of our richest players to renegotiate their contracts.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What do you guys think Tru will want long term?

Do you think a year after making $13 million he will accept less than $13 million per year? Only if he has a down year...maybe...

On the flip side....paying Norman $15/$16 million per year instead of paying TruJo $13 million per year seems like a great deal to me. They have different skills, but Norman is still a better overall player, and he is less injury prone. I wouldn't be opposed to coming to terms with Norman on a long term deal and then rescinding the tag on TruJo. We would have to change our scheme, but isn't Williams renowned for fitting his scheme to players??

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
What do you guys think Tru will want long term?

Do you think a year after making $13 million he will accept less than $13 million per year? Only if he has a down year...maybe...

On the flip side....paying Norman $15/$16 million per year instead of paying TruJo $13 million per year seems like a great deal to me. They have different skills, but Norman is still a better overall player, and he is less injury prone. I wouldn't be opposed to coming to terms with Norman on a long term deal and then rescinding the tag on TruJo. We would have to change our scheme, but isn't Williams renowned for fitting his scheme to players??

Has Tru signed the tag yet? Once he does it can't be rescinded.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
If he signs a 1 year deal to hit free agency again in 2017 - I'd like to be that one year team.

This. Concerns over not wanting to tie up money in Norman so that we can sign our own upcoming free agents are valid. A one-year deal avoids this concern. It also buys us a year of evaluation time to see if EJ Gains can come back at 100%. If he is agreeable to a one-year deal with anyone, I hope the Rams are willing to open up the wallet.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Where is that Sulu laughing GIF when you REALLY need it LOL.

You're welcome...

8jRK_f-maxage-0.gif