Josh McDainels Could Leave

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
JdashSTL said:
libertadrocks said:
JdashSTL said:
Im just suprised it happened this soon. Even Haley couldnt get a pass after taking the team to the playoffs last year and having to deal with key injuries this season. I guess there were issues with him and Pioli. I also think theres a good chance that Raheem Morris could be out in Tampa soon. That could be 2 HC's that lead their teams to a 10-6 record last year when they werent expected to, and now they are struggling this year. Amazing. It also does not make me feel good about Spags at all, and im not even sure if he makes it till the end of the season. Ugh.

Yeah it really shows how important "winning now" has become. Teams are not allowed to take a step back without consequences. Spags is definitely in jeopardy.

I think Sapgs and Morris should be kept as HC on their respective teams. If Spags gets the boot, IMO we should consider Morris as a replacement. I love the way he conducts himself and his business.

I cant figure out what is going on in Tampa, but I dont see how any HC keeps his job after giving up 41 points to a bad Jacksonville team, and how many games have they lost in a row now? Not looking good for him. Spags, Haley, and Morris were hired as HCs in 2009, and now they could all be out after this season.

Morris was a PC hire in the first place and now it shows. He's gone soon.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Re: Todd Haley fired......guess his .432 win pct wasn't enou

RealRamsFan said:
As previously stated......teams demand more and 3 years is typically the time frame a organization gives a team to become a competitive force.

Fresh off a 10 win season and playoff berth to win 5 of 12 games thus far this season.....Sure they lost their starting QB, Pro Bowl RB, Pro bowl Safety, Starting TE, and injuries to the OL...the FO demanded more.

From my personal experience, you demand more you get more in the long run.
You have to evaluate your coaches independent of things that are out of their control, and then if you make the determination that another coach, or style, or public image, better suits your team, then you make the decision.

Maybe Haley lost the team, maybe ownership caved to public outcry, and maybe they think they found somebody better. All that said, there's no guarantee that they will improve with a new hire, no matter how loud or how hard they demand it.

Regarding McDaniels, I don't think he's performed well enough to get another head coaching shot this soon.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Difference between Haley and Spags the base support.

Haley had nothing left. He had already lost the players according to some reports and IDK one Chief fan that wnated to keep him past this season. They all hated his guts. He finally lost the support of the FO and owner.

Spags has seen his support base erode this year but IMO it is strong enough, baring any adverse events, to keep him around another year. I Spags loses his job it would have to do as much with Stan as anything else.

If McD leaves we have to find someone bred in the same system to replace him. 3 systems in 3 years is a bad thing.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guess the Dolphins didnt want to be outdone. They just fired Sparano(sp?). That surprises me more than Haley. I thought the Dolphins had started to play a lot better of late and they would at least keep him around till the end of the year.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
libertadrocks said:
Guess the Dolphins didnt want to be outdone. They just fired Sparano(sp?). That surprises me more than Haley. I thought the Dolphins had started to play a lot better of late and they would at least keep him around till the end of the year.

No surprise there. Any team that has decided to go in a different direction next season is smart to cut ties now. that way you get a head start on finding your replacement......

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Faceplant said:
No surprise there. Any team that has decided to go in a different direction next season is smart to cut ties now. that way you get a head start on finding your replacement......
Yeah, but most high profile coaches are going to wait until the end of the year and weigh all their options. And we already know that IF Kroenke does anything, it won't be until the season is over. At least that's what he said.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
libertadrocks said:

Oh jeez, im becoming even more nervous for Spags. These teams fired their HCs after embarrassing blowout losses, we just had one last week lol. It just feels like a bad omen.

Sparano was pretty much gone the moment they went after Jim Harbaugh in the offseason. Having some wins and close losses recently just delayed the inevitable.

bluecoconuts

Legend
JdashSTL said:
libertadrocks said:

Oh jeez, im becoming even more nervous for Spags. These teams fired their HCs after embarrassing blowout losses, we just had one last week lol. It just feels like a bad omen.

Sporano was pretty much gone the moment they went after Jim Harbaugh in the offseason. Having some wins and close losses recently just delayed the inevitable.

He will finish out the season and then any changes will come. Really the only thing we can do now is wait for the news to come, it's like being in the waiting room while someone is in surgery. Not much we can do but wait to see.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I have no idea why with 3 games left you fire a guy if his replacement isn't on hand to take over and evaluate. This never made any sense. Half a season and you might get to change a few things in the system to gauge talent but that's about it.
Now the Fins needed some mustard on their hotdog and sack theirs. Must have been a slow news day.

NO way Spags gets fired in the season. And I have a strong feeling he won't get fired after either. Maybe some changes at position coaches and possible new focus on the roster and player dev. but that's it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd say that the one thing that MIGHT save Spags besides the crap that has been out of his control is that Stan historically is a bit more patient than typical NFL owners. Guess we'll see though.

As to Josh leaving... Tebow's latest heroics may be the thing that boosts his stock and could lead to another HC gig sooner than any of us envisioned. I still don't buy it. If it happens, it happens. I'm still leaning toward Spags and Josh getting another season to right the ship.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Re: Todd Haley fired......guess his .432 win pct wasn't enou

DR RAM said:
You have to evaluate your coaches independent of things that are out of their control, and then if you make the determination that another coach, or style, or public image, better suits your team, then you make the decision.

My take as well. AND, I really think that is how Stan is going to look at things. I have no doubt that Stan wants to win but I'm just not sure he will look at all his options and think he is better off with a new coach. I think there will be some changes - maybe some of them mandated by Stan. But I still think Spags is our head coach next season. Just a hunch - nothing more.

superfan24

Starter
I would be pissed and unhappy if Spags would be gone next year, but wouldn't a new HC hire their own staff and get rid of McD anyway?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
superfan24 said:
I would be pissed and unhappy if Spags would be gone next year, but wouldn't a new HC hire their own staff and get rid of McD anyway?
Prolly. Unless the Rams hire Bill Corn Chex. At which point I renounce my fandom.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

apart from him losing the team i don't think the chiefs liked how haley always looked like a hobo standing there on the sideline and in front of the media. that was a big fuck you from haley to the front office because they expect a clean cut image.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
kurtfaulk said:

apart from him losing the team i don't think the chiefs liked how haley always looked like a hobo standing there on the sideline and in front of the media. that was a big freak you from haley to the front office because they expect a clean cut image.

lol. There were literally some games where it looked like he just got out of the tractor and was done farming for the day.