Josh Gordon spends 10 hours appealing year suspension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/browns-josh-gordon-meets-with-nfl-on-appeal-080114

Josh Gordon's fight to stay on the field isn't over.

Gordon spent 10 hours in the NFL's offices in New York on Friday for his appeal hearing before the sides decided to stop and will resume on Monday, a person familiar with the meeting told The Associated Press.

Gordon, who is contesting a possible one-year suspension for failing another drug test, and his legal team met with an arbitrator from 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., said the person who spoke on condition of anonymity because neither party is commenting publicly.

It's not known if Gordon will return to training camp with the Brownsover the weekend. The team has a scrimmage at the University of Akron on Saturday.

Gordon's lawyer, Maurice Suh, contends his client tested positive because of secondhand smoke.

While Gordon was in Manhattan, Commissioner Roger Goodell was at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, where he defended the league's recent two-game suspension of Baltimore running back Ray Rice for domestic violence and commented briefly on Gordon's situation.

"Josh is going through the process right now," Goodell said. "I am not a part of that process. They'll make a decision based on the information that is exchanged today. At some point in time, I may have an opportunity to be involved. When I am, I look forward to meeting with him."

Goodell said the information shared in the hearing will decide Gordon's fate.

As they await a decision on their teammate, who also is Cleveland's best player, the Browns are keeping their fingers crossed the outcome will be favorable.

"I'm an optimistic guy," wide receiver Nate Burleson said. "I'm a glass half-full guy, so I'm always hoping and expecting the best-case scenario."

Until they hear from the league, the Browns are going about the business of getting ready for the upcoming season. They'd love to have Gordon for as many games as possible. After all, he's one of the league's elite receivers and an offensive threat who keeps defensive coordinators awake at night. To be without him for any time will drastically change Cleveland's offense.

Goodell, who was widely criticized for not penalizing Rice more for domestic violence, said each case must be judged on its own merits.

"You have to deal with the facts," he said. "We have a drug program that is collectively bargained and it has a step process. It takes four incidents before you actually reach a suspension in a drug-related case. You have to respond to facts here. You have a lot of people voicing their opinions, but what you have to understand is that this is a young man (Rice) who made a terrible mistake -- it's inconsistent with what we're all about.

"We have dealt with it in a serious manner, and we're very confident that this young man understands where he is and what he needs to do going forward."

Gordon's list of off-the-field issues is lengthy, which may hinder his argument. He failed at least three known drug tests in college and he was suspended two games last season for a drug violation.

Separate from his appeal, Gordon, who led the league in yards receiving despite being suspended two games last season, could still face league discipline under the league's personal-conduct policy for his arrest last month on a DUI charge in Raleigh, North Carolina. Gordon reportedly checked himself into a rehab clinic in California following the arrest.

Pettine has said the Browns will have to go with a receiver-by-committee approach if Gordon can't play.

Slot receiver Andrew Hawkins is confident he and his teammates can pick up the slack.

"We have a bunch of hard-working guys with chips on their shoulders who are going to come out here and bust their butts every day," he said. "And I'll take that 10 times out of 10."

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It was a misprint. It was supposed to say that Gordon didn't realize he could get suspended if he was the 'Second man to Toke.'

I wish I had a better memory. I seriously don't recall Josh Gordon being on the Rams.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's rams-nfl talk. If it doesn't interest you don't open the thread.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

It's rams-nfl talk. If it doesn't interest you don't open the thread.

You apparently don't remember either. I was being serious because I was told that Gordon was a Ram in the Spagnoulo days. I just wish I could remember. How bad could he have been that they cut him?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You apparently don't remember either. I was being serious because I was told that Gordon was a Ram in the Spagnoulo days. I just wish I could remember. How bad could he have been that they cut him?

He was drafted by the browns in the supplement draft.

RFIP

I heard it was going to be a longer meeting but Gordon had to meet his dealer so they will reconvene Monday...:bueller: