Josh Gordon letter/Suspended without pay for at least one year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Accepted the deal" - as if he had shred one of bargaining power.

Has anyone suggested that Gordon came to work drunk? Sure, a private employer can generally fire an employee for almost anything / although the tax exempt status the NFL enjoys makes it a touch more complicated. But again, this is a league that completely markets itself around alcohol. Does Jim Irsay lose the colts if he takes a drink / pops a pill?

When I look back at myself in my early 20s - I was legally an adult but I was a full blown idiot still in most respects. Thank goodness my life wasn't under the microscope.

IRRELEVANT. He got a DUI. It accomplished the same goal.

Yes, he did have a shred of bargaining power. His bargaining power was not getting popped for a DUI. Then he would have had no alcohol restrictions.

I'm not going to make excuses for a grown man screwing up for the 8th time in 5 years.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Why are we theorizing that he didn't write this, again?

Have you ever heard him speak? He got help writing this. I have no problem with that, since I don't give a shit about him or what he is doing to his life, but trust me he didn't write this.

@jrry32 you don't have to make excuses for him, he did plenty of that all on his own. He already did the work hahaha.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Seems a little to good to be true to me. To me that letter was designed to say "Poor Josh". Nope, you know what I see, more excuses.

1. You got a DUI
response "But it was barely over the limit:

2. You tested positive for marijuana
"But it was second hand smoke"

3. You were caught drinking after you were told not to.
"But I didn't know that the off season counted"

Look, even if you believe him, these kind of people who have excuses are exhausting to work with.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have you ever heard him speak? He got help writing this. I have no problem with that, since I don't give a crap about him or what he is doing to his life, but trust me he didn't write this.

@jrry32 you don't have to make excuses for him, he did plenty of that all on his own. He already did the work hahaha.

Yes, I have heard him speak as a matter of fact - many times - and if I had to guess - I'd say he wrote this all by his lonesome. Frankly, I'm having a hard time figuring why there is skepticism on that front.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yes, I have heard him speak as a matter of fact - many times - and if I had to guess - I'd say he wrote this all by his lonesome. Frankly, I'm having a hard time figuring why there is skepticism on that front.

OK so remove that.

He's still a fucking dunce.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Have you ever heard him speak? He got help writing this. I have no problem with that, since I don't give a crap about him or what he is doing to his life, but trust me he didn't write this.

If I wrote in the style in which I speak, I would have failed every report I wrote in college. Some people don't care about grammar or sounding proper when texting/speaking/internet forming. He could have written this, he may not have, but to use the way he speaks as evidence that he does not have the ability to write this is completely illogical. I mean, Richard Sherman graduated from Stanford while carrying a 4.0, but if you only went buy a small sample, say post playoff game against the 49ers, you never would have guessed.

In fact, you're kind of only proving Josh Gordon's point when you make comments like that.

VilleDeal

UDFA
Ask Dr. Drew if he will do the same again. I would bet on his answer and I am not a betting man. Sad that environment has so much to do with the mold of a man.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Never met the man, nor do I know what the truth is about him but as someone who escaped alcohol/drug addiction at the age of 29, I can tell you that I was the last person to know something was wrong with me until I hit bottom.

It was always everyone else's fault. They were all out to get me. They were exaggerating my situation. Whenever I screwed up it was a "mistake" or someone else's fault.

I can match Gordon's tale of woe and then some. It's a good thing I didn't have the money he has or I would have been dead before age 30.

Hope I'm wrong but this seems like someone who's in denial and will eventually crash and burn if he doesn't get help. Prove me wrong Josh. I'll be more than happy to admit it, especially if you end up playing for the Rams.

My thoughts exactly. He has screwed up, and screwed up again and again. He is downplaying it and telling others that it is nothing and at the same time making excuses why he is the way he is.

I have spent years working with drug addicts and they will try every single line of bs that they can to get you to keep giving them chances or forgiving them. It never ends until they decide it ends and even then it usually continues to happen off and on for several years. It is something that needs to be fought every day for the rest of their lives.

If he comes to the Rams it is most likely that he just continues on the same path unless he somehow changes his tune and decides enough is enough. Fisher cannot make that happen and if he is not going to change there is no way in hell that I want him around other Rams that have had some questionable backgrounds. He would be a bad influence.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If I wrote in the style in which I speak, I would have failed every report I wrote in college. Some people don't care about grammar or sounding proper when texting/speaking/internet forming. He could have written this, he may not have, but to use the way he speaks as evidence that he does not have the ability to write this is completely illogical. I mean, Richard Sherman graduated from Stanford while carrying a 4.0, but if you only went buy a small sample, say post playoff game against the 49ers, you never would have guessed.

In fact, you're kind of only proving Josh Gordon's point when you make comments like that.

OK fine, like I said forget that. He's still a complete dunce.

I don't know him, and neither do the guys he called out in his letter. But what does that have to do with the fact he has been a complete and total idiot for years?

I don't need to know him, or his background, or childhood or anything else to know that a guy who is pissing away a great career in his chosen field/profession and is losing millions upon millions of dollars is a fucking bonehead. He's coming across as a stupid, immature crybaby.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
He should have just said he had substance abuse problems at least than he had an excuse. Otherwise he is just incredibly stupid. Kaka. All of it . Right I get tested the first time I drink in six months.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
100% agree.
thanks lol. I preach from experience of long term chronic insomnia, multiple painful sports injuries and high stress that have all required meds that didn't help or end well so guess what I do to manage everything and what helped me graduate college lol. AND I have a useless Bachleors degree in Criminal Justice just for the irony of it all. I got a problem with ppl being legally allowed to be impaired violent drunks but illegal to have pleasant nice pot smokers that would rather hug you than punch you.

Another rant sorry. bottom line is how the fuck you gonna make it illegal from players to smoke when the last two SB teams were surrounding by legally pot smoke fans. Gordon's 'second hand smoke' story if true is just another example of Gordon getting caught in an unfair situation. so what happens when half the states in the country legalize and you have bars or outdoor areas where a player can accidental inhale second hand. should they not be allowed to visit social events or places where theres legal smoking? I won't talk politics in here but as a conservative/libertarian with a Criminal justice Degree background I think the entire thing is absolute bullshit. Gordon is still an idiot for it tho. but they need to change those bullshit guidelines if they're gonna call weed a PED. I guess Xanax or Ambien should be considered PEDs too then right? I've read multiple interviews of ex player smoking weed to help with old sports injuries and brain trama cus they'd rather do that than pick up and addiction to pain pills, anxiety pills or sleeping pills.
Rant over. sorry

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Who cares about Richard Sherman and what does he have to do with this? And do you really think he got into Stanford because he was a member of the cognitive elite? His SAT score according to reports was 1000, which would eliminate you, your kids, your parents and anyone else from admission........unless they were an athlete of course.

Gordon is an idiot, and that isn't likely to change.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Meh - screw the law. Alcohol is legal - Gordon had some drinks after the season was over - and yet here we are.

In my eyes, the NFL is the real problem here - some team is going to get really lucky taking a chance on Gordon - I hope it's us.

Tell me that if I don't drink any alcohol for the rest of my life and you will give me a couple million dollars and you would have to race me to the toilet to dump out my Scotch, Bourbon, Vodka, Stoudt, Ales, Porter, and wine. I could easily say good bye to it forever for that kind of money. Would I miss it? Sure but I am not stupid.

iced

2. You tested positive for marijuana
"But it was second hand smoke"

Given the extremely low threshold the NFL was using at the time, this was extremely plausible.
3. You were caught drinking after you were told not to.
"But I didn't know that the off season counted"

"When the Season ended" was the agreement for alcohol screening... which is very hypocritical of the NFL, including the media w/ how they love to portray mr.manziel

his season ended week 17 - just like our players did, they come in for last film study after the final game on December 28th, study, then go home for the off season...given it was January 2nd, I also would think it was by the guidelines.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Tell me that if I don't drink any alcohol for the rest of my life and you will give me a couple million dollars and you would have to race me to the toilet to dump out my Scotch, Bourbon, Vodka, Stoudt, Ales, Porter, and wine. I could easily say good bye to it forever for that kind of money. Would I miss it? Sure but I am not stupid.

It's not even "the rest of your life", its a few years. And it's not "a couple of million bucks", it potentially 75 to 100 million bucks.

It's a huge talent and money dump. I'd cut out a nut for the type of money he could have made if he wasn't a dunce.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
"When the Season ended" was the agreement for alcohol screening...
Do you know this as fact? Is the alcohol screening only agreed on for the season?

iced

Do you know this as fact? Is the alcohol screening only agreed on for the season?

As a strict condition to my reinstatement in Week 12, I had to agree not only to abstain from drinking for the rest of the season, but also to submit to an alcohol screen as part of my in-season drug testing under the league’s substance-abuse protocol.

On Jan. 2 of this year, just days after our season ended earlier than we all had hoped — and yes, my actions during the prior offseason definitely contributed to our failure to make the playoffs; it killed me seeing our guys fight so hard when I wasn’t out there with them — I boarded a private flight to Las Vegas with several teammates. During the flight, I had two beers and two drinks. It was the first time I had consumed so much as a drop of alcohol since July 4, 2014, the day of the DWI.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Who cares about Richard Sherman and what does he have to do with this? And do you really think he got into Stanford because he was a member of the cognitive elite? His SAT score according to reports was 1000, which would eliminate you, your kids, your parents and anyone else from admission........unless they were an athlete of course.

Gordon is an idiot, and that isn't likely to change.

Richard Sherman was an example of not judging a book by its cover. He may have gotten in as an athlete, but they didn't hand him a 4.0 because he was one. He earned that.

I'm not defending the guy. He is not on the Rams, and his personal choices do not affect me, or anyone I care about. He took all the blame. He's obviously guilty. I was simply attacking your faulty logic, which you withdrew, so its over.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I've been a volunteer at the Federal prison here for many years. Every time I go in they can give me a urine test or test me on a machine where they swab your fingers. I have long hair and a beard and have been tested many times, lol. If I commit as much as a misdemeanor I'm out of there permanently - no trial, no hearing. What's the point? I signed an agreement to obey their rules and I assume Josh Gordon did the same. No excuses, no whining, that's the way it is. If you screw up you're out.