Josh Gordon letter/Suspended without pay for at least one year

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
As a strict condition to my reinstatement in Week 12, I had to agree not only to abstain from drinking for the rest of the season, but also to submit to an alcohol screen as part of my in-season drug testing under the league’s substance-abuse protocol.

On Jan. 2 of this year, just days after our season ended earlier than we all had hoped — and yes, my actions during the prior offseason definitely contributed to our failure to make the playoffs; it killed me seeing our guys fight so hard when I wasn’t out there with them — I boarded a private flight to Las Vegas with several teammates. During the flight, I had two beers and two drinks. It was the first time I had consumed so much as a drop of alcohol since July 4, 2014, the day of the DWI.

I don't care what he thinks he agreed to. Fact is that there is a paper trail for this agreement and I'm sure it outlines if the offseason is included. If it isn't he should appeal and his suspension will be lifted. But because he said that doesn't make it fact.

Jorgeh0605

good letter. i'd be extremely impressed if i knew he actually wrote it all himself. he's still an idiot for the sheer amount of times he's gotten in trouble for this stuff but anyways the alcohol ban IMO is complete bullcrap. wtf does that have to do about weed? society is so back-asswards and hypocritical its unbelievable. doctors will shell out pain pills and sleeping pills and all kinds of drugs that are addictive, severely impare you, are bad for your long term health or can kill you in high doses. THAT's all well and fine for the NFL and the US government to allow to be dished out and pop them like skittles but God forbid someone smokes a plant that grows out the ground to relax, sleep or ease some pain and next thing you know your fired from your job or have cuffs slapped on you. crap....started going into a rant. I'm done lol. good read.

Not much but is has a lot to do with his DUI.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I know that Gordon has screwed up a lot of times...but I can't judge him. Not just because I didn't grow up under what he did, but because at twenty-three (almost twenty-four), I've screwed up so many times that I can't even count. I've cost myself friends by lying and hurting them emotionally, I've hurt my family (both emotionally and physically), I've tried to commit suicide five times (including two times by cop), have spent six stints in psychiatric wards, have helped break my relationship with my dad permanently, have lashed out at everyone who has ever tried to help me, and I absolutely know that I will be going to hell when I die. I know that I deserve it. I know that I'm a much, much worse person than Josh Gordon. And I am absolutely sorry for everything I've done in my life.

iced

I don't care what he thinks he agreed to. Fact is that there is a paper trail for this agreement and I'm sure it outlines if the offseason is included. If it isn't he should appeal and his suspension will be lifted. But because he said that doesn't make it fact.

that's more info we've received than from the nfl...and i like you agree he should appeal it

Jorgeh0605

that's more info we've received than from the nfl...and i like you agree he should appeal it
IDK though. I was reading the NFL policy for 2010 (That's all I've found so far, here it is http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2013/0819/20130819_025353_NFL-Drug-Policy.pdf).

Though it doesn't explicitly state the words "this applies in the off-season" the bottom of page 12 as well as the defined durations of each stage are pretty clear. You don't have to be tested after you have been out of the league for 6 months, or you retire etc.

And for what it's worth, the abstention from alcohol seems to be specific to each players treatment plan. I'm assuming abstention from alcohol got tacked on after the DUI as stage 3 doesn't ban alcohol in the discipline sections of any of the stages. That makes sense to me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i disagree - almost all players went into the "off season" after the monday after the last game

Irrelevant. It doesn't matter what the players do. The 2014 season isn't over until after the Super Bowl is played.

And that's assuming they meant season. Might have been talking about the league year. Would all depend on the language.

In order for Gordon to be right, it would have to say regular season or something like that.

TaxMonkey

UDFA
I think this was a very revealing letter. I felt like the NFL was too harsh on Gordon and not harsh enough on many others.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nces-josh-gordon-suspended-at-least-one-year/

NFL announces Josh Gordon suspended at least one year
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 3, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwnhywq2nzi2odbhodzlm2q1mwu3mjaxzjzlngvlytuw1-e1405995862522.jpeg
AP

It’s official: Josh Gordon will not play in the NFL at all in 2015, and isn’t assured of playing in 2016, either.

The NFL announced today that Gordon has been suspended and will remain suspended until after next year’s Super Bowl.

“Josh Gordon of the Cleveland Browns has been suspended without pay for at least one year for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse. Gordon’s suspension begins immediately,” the league’s official statement said.

The “at least one year” phrasing indicates that Gordon won’t automatically be reinstated a year from now. Gordon will be eligible to apply for reinstatement in a year, but he would only be reinstated if the NFL is convinced that he is committed to getting clean and staying clean.

Browns General Manager Ray Farmer released a statement indicating that the team would consider bringing him back in a year, but only if Gordon can demonstrate a commitment to getting his career on track.

“As we have conveyed, we are disappointed to once again be at this point with Josh,” Farmer said. “Throughout his career we have tried to assist him in getting support like we would with any member of our organization. Unfortunately our efforts have not resonated with him. It is evident that Josh needs to make some substantial strides to live up to the positive culture we are trying to build this football team upon.

Our hope is that this suspension affords Josh the opportunity to gain some clarity in determining what he wants to accomplish moving forward and if he wants a career in the Nation Football League. We will have no further comment on Josh as he will not be permitted in our facility for the duration of his suspension.”

Gordon has great talent, and he’s still only 23 years old. He could still turn his life around and become an All-Pro receiver again. Or he could throw it all away and be remembered as one of the saddest wastes of talent in NFL history.

bluecoconuts

Legend
i disagree - almost all players went into the "off season" after the monday after the last game

That's similar to issues I saw in the military, we had a few guys who were told they couldn't drive on post until block leave was over because they had gotten a DUI and they were due to have a meeting with the Battalion Commode and Sergeant Major (who were likely to take away their driving privileges anyway). Between the time leave ended and their meeting they were allowed to drive however, so they may get to work. Block leave typically starts on a Friday and then ends on a Monday (two weeks later), and a lot of guys would start their leave on Monday and come back Friday to save some days. So these guys got back on Friday and decided to go driving around, when they got a ticket.

So instead of getting their post privileges taken away for a year, and an Article 15, loss of pay, and 45/45, they were demoted, lost pay, and then removed from the Battalion and sent to other units. They attempted to argue that they were done with leave so they were allowed to drive, but to no avail, as the orders were the end of leave not the end of THEIR leave.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Post season isn't over until superbowl. Regular season was over for the majority....hence the expression: "watching from the couch".

Which is why it was stipulated as "season". Not regular season. The NFL season is over when the off-season begins. This restriction didn't come from the Browns, it came from the NFL. It's irrelevant when the Browns season ended.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

how on earth wouldn't he know when he could drink again? we're only talking millions of dollars here. he must be dumber than a bag of rocks.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Great letter.

Doesn't seem like a bad person and maybe addiction isn't an issue for him... but he is a bad WR since his actions continue to take him off the field.

I'm interested in picking up a good WR. No thanks.

Not his fault Goodell seems to come down more harshly on him than on others. If the rules and punishments were awarded with consistency so that players knew what their actions would definitively result in then I'd agree with you -he'd be a bad receiver because his actions were resulting in him being off the field....but he's not. He's a good receiver who's got a ton of talent but who seems to have had a problem and some immaturity issues. He's been treated so hard by the league and that's why he's off the field.

iced

That's similar to issues I saw in the military, we had a few guys who were told they couldn't drive on post until block leave was over because they had gotten a DUI and they were due to have a meeting with the Battalion Commode and Sergeant Major (who were likely to take away their driving privileges anyway). Between the time leave ended and their meeting they were allowed to drive however, so they may get to work. Block leave typically starts on a Friday and then ends on a Monday (two weeks later), and a lot of guys would start their leave on Monday and come back Friday to save some days. So these guys got back on Friday and decided to go driving around, when they got a ticket.

So instead of getting their post privileges taken away for a year, and an Article 15, loss of pay, and 45/45, they were demoted, lost pay, and then removed from the Battalion and sent to other units. They attempted to argue that they were done with leave so they were allowed to drive, but to no avail, as the orders were the end of leave not the end of THEIR leave.

yea but that's different - the military has the article 92 written specifically as a 'catch all'.. completely different mentality..

One thing that always baffled me (least in the Seabee's) was that if you were high ranking (meaning E-9 or officer) if you got into trouble (like a DUI) often times you'd just be transferred out of the unit...

I remember when my command master chief got popped for his - what, i think his 5th Dui if memory serves - and per usual, they tried to sweep it under the rug...word got out, within a few days the Regiment Commode called an base all hands muster and proceeded to out our batallion's CMC...to say the Regiment skipper was pissed would be an under statement...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
wow - he's only 23 too. From reading HIS side of the story the punishment does seem harsh.

To be honest, I find it difficult to understand why the NFL would make him abstain from alcohol, ok so they consider it an addictive substance, however it seems that Gordon has stopped his use of Weed, and wasn't using alcohol as a substitute to "get high". I may also point out to Goodell that Caffeine is also an addictive drug, maybe he should write that into the next ban & condition he gives.

It sounds like Gordon is being made a whipping boy for the NFL and it seems like he doesn't need to be. Even if you get taught driving while intoxicated, the courts don't ban you from drinking alcohol, they ban you from driving. IMO his ban from playing was enough. If he turned up to training or a match while under the influence, then yes, throw the book at him, but this is just excessive... How many times have I seen Gronk been smashed out of his head during the off-season - has he ever been pulled up on it?

A message to Goodell: Punishment is ok, but consistency is needed.
A message to Gordon: Well done on cutting weed out of your life, you're only 23, hang in there and come back a bigger person.
A message to the conspiracy theorists: It was an awful coincidence that Gordon got a call from the league as he got off a flight (post a couple of beers) with a few team mates though...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Not his fault Goodell seems to come down more harshly on him than on others. If the rules and punishments were awarded with consistency so that players knew what their actions would definitively result in then I'd agree with you -he'd be a bad receiver because his actions were resulting in him being off the field....but he's not. He's a good receiver who's got a ton of talent but who seems to have had a problem and some immaturity issues. He's been treated so hard by the league and that's why he's off the field.

Suspensions and the appeal process is dictated by the CBA. So blaming Goodell for this is misplaced.

I know a lot of you guys like to do that but your off base.

Also why would you want this guy around? He clearly can't stop himself and will be out for good next time he fails a test, and there will be a next time. Isn't this the 8th time he's failed since he was a junior in college? He's an addict and it won't change until everything crashed down around him and I'd prefer that didn't happen in the Rams locker room.

No thanks to this knucklehead.

bluecoconuts

Legend
yea but that's different - the military has the article 92 written specifically as a 'catch all'.. completely different mentality..

One thing that always baffled me (least in the Seabee's) was that if you were high ranking (meaning E-9 or officer) if you got into trouble (like a DUI) often times you'd just be transferred out of the unit...

I remember when my command master chief got popped for his - what, i think his 5th Dui if memory serves - and per usual, they tried to sweep it under the rug...word got out, within a few days the Regiment Commode called an base all hands muster and proceeded to out our batallion's CMC...to say the Regiment skipper was pissed would be an under statement...

Their contracts have stuff like this in them as well. Similar to talking to the media and stuff like that, its all in there.

We never had senior guys pop hot or get a DUI in our unit, just young guys. If it was a first offense they typically got an Article 15 with 45/45, if it was their second, depending on how soon our next deployment was. In the Ranger Battalions you can be kicked out of the Battalion for essentially anything (even failing to get a hair cut) and sent to the regular Army. Given the work it takes just to get into the Battalion the threat alone kept most guys in line, but there was always some. Typically new guys who couldn't adapt, but every so often a more experienced guy would go too.