Josh Gordon denied in his appeal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm sure someone thinks it would be smart to trade for him now while the buyer's price is low. :p

Ram65

Legend
That settles those thread on Gordon at least for a little while. Hard to keep up with all his suspensions. I don't know whats better for him now. Let him play now or wait another year? If he has been clean, so to speak, since he went into rehab in Sept I don't see why he can't come back and play. It's most likely his last chance so you would hope he can handle the temptations.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Gordon en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Gordon
2016 season[edit]
On January 20, 2016, Gordon applied to the league for reinstatement.[24] His request was denied in March when it was reported that he had failed another drug test.[25]

On July 25, 2016, Gordon was reinstated by the NFL. He was allowed to participate in training camp but was suspended for the first four games of the 2016 regular season.[26]

On September 29, 2016, Gordon left the Cleveland Browns to enter an in-patient rehabilitation facility. He was one week away from reinstatement to the NFL, serving his previous sentence of four regular season games. In a press statement, Gordon wrote, "After careful thought and deep consideration I've decided that I need to step away from pursuing my return to the Browns and my football career to enter an in-patient rehabilitation facility. This is the right decision for me and one that I hope will enable me to gain full control of my life and continue on a path to reach my full potential as a person. I appreciate the support of the NFL, NFLPA, the Browns, my teammates, my agent and the community through this extremely challenging process."[27]

On March 1, 2017, Gordon again applied to the league for reinstatement,[28] but was denied on May 11, 2017.[29]

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Unless we're missing some information, that makes no sense.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
So much talent going to waste... If only he didn't inject marijuanas!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
So much talent going to waste... If only he didn't inject marijuanas!

If he checked in to an in-patient rehab, it was probably for something other than pot. Hopefully he gets his shit together before he becomes another tragedy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gordon's agent (you know, the one he was living with) apparently terminated their relationship a couple weeks ago. Sounds like Gordon isn't behaving himself. I am soooooooooooooooooo shocked. Unfortunately, I'm sure I'll be stuck debating people again on this in a few months when he petitions for reinstatement again. I can't help myself.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I was really in his corner, but I dunno what to make of this.

Did the agent sever ties because of Gordon or because he got wind that Gordon was going to be denied and didn't want to have to be Gordon's keeper for another period of time while making no money?

Who knows?

Sad the talent is being wasted (and yes, Gordon is wasting his talent, it's his responsibility), but greater talents in more important fields have been squandered over less.

As others have noted, especially when he tested positive, (and I say this with sarcasm and not wishing this were true AT ALL) if only he'd just hit his girlfriend and had anger issues, he'd have gotten a 2 game suspension if that and he'd still be playing.

Honestly, the NFL is completely borked in their priorities.

I'd rather give a DOZEN chances to someone like Gordon than even a second chance to someone like Greg Hardy or Ray McDonald.

Honestly, their STILL more interested in punishing non-PED drug offenders than violent criminals.

I dunno that I hate the commish (hate is so unhealthy), but I dunno if it's possible to like him less than I do.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fuck me. All those millions on the line, he could set himself up for the rest of his life and he can't get his shit together? C'mon man.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Did the agent sever ties because of Gordon or because he got wind that Gordon was going to be denied and didn't want to have to be Gordon's keeper for another period of time while making no money?

Who knows?

Sad the talent is being wasted (and yes, Gordon is wasting his talent, it's his responsibility), but greater talents in more important fields have been squandered over less.

As others have noted, especially when he tested positive, (and I say this with sarcasm and not wishing this were true AT ALL) if only he'd just hit his girlfriend and had anger issues, he'd have gotten a 2 game suspension if that and he'd still be playing.

I'd rather give a DOZEN chances to someone like Gordon than even a second chance to someone like Greg Hardy or Ray McDonald.

Honestly, their STILL more interested in punishing non-PED drug offenders than violent criminals.

I dunno that I hate the commish (hate is so unhealthy), but I dunno if it's possible to like him less than I do.
The players and their union share in the hate the commissioner and owners. They all have the power to change things if they were to desire this change.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
The players and their union share in the hate the commissioner and owners. They all have the power to change things if they were to desire this change.

True. However, every single positive change that the players propose is countered by a demand for givebacks to the owners.

Were it not for scientific proof AND widespread consumer outrage, the NFL would still be denying the reality of CTE.

Moreover, when the players want things to improve the health of the players which amounts to a long term improvement in the bottom line for the owners as well, they constantly want "concessions" as if improving the game somehow hurts their bottom line.

It's just BS, greedy, shortsighted and shows that most of the owners are true SOBs, willing to see harm done to improve their bottom line.

It's like the owners are allergic to win/win scenarios.

Honestly, in light of all this info, I dunno how they attract new fans. If there were a sport that I was introduced to that had all the garbage that violates my principles like the NFL, I'd avoid it like the plague.

As it is, other than Ram games and some playoff games, I've pretty much stopped consuming NFL content.

And it's only a straw or two before this back is broken and they lose me the way baseball lost me (and that one REALLY hurt because baseball was my first love)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True. However, every single positive change that the players propose is countered by a demand for givebacks to the owners.

Were it not for scientific proof AND widespread consumer outrage, the NFL would still be denying the reality of CTE.

Moreover, when the players want things to improve the health of the players which amounts to a long term improvement in the bottom line for the owners as well, they constantly want "concessions" as if improving the game somehow hurts their bottom line.

It's just BS, greedy, shortsighted and shows that most of the owners are true SOBs, willing to see harm done to improve their bottom line.

It's like the owners are allergic to win/win scenarios.

Honestly, in light of all this info, I dunno how they attract new fans. If there were a sport that I was introduced to that had all the garbage that violates my principles like the NFL, I'd avoid it like the plague.

As it is, other than Ram games and some playoff games, I've pretty much stopped consuming NFL content.

And it's only a straw or two before this back is broken and they lose me the way baseball lost me (and that one REALLY hurt because baseball was my first love)
And every thing the owners ask for is countered by a demand from the players union. It's the nature of collective bargaining. If it was truly important enough to either side or there was a considerable amount of public pressure/push back it would be done. As it is the issue isn't important enough to either side to change so they both deserve the criticism.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

These are hollow criticisms, Mack. The NFL Substance Abuse Policy doesn't suspend players until they fail a test under Stage 2 of the hierarchy. Basically, if you enter the NFL without any substance abuse issues, you'd likely have to fail three drug tests (one to get into Stage 1, one to get into Stage 2, and one to get disciplined under Stage 2) to get a suspension. And that's only a 4 games suspension.

On the other hand, you're suspended after one DV arrest. You may not get another chance to play in the NFL after one arrest. After two arrests, you're likely done in the NFL for good.

A guy like Gordon can fail 5-7 drug tests and still have a shot at playing again. You're not equating two equal things. Yes, domestic violence should be punished more severely, BUT IT IS.

Zodi

Hall of Fame

Exactly my thoughts.

If the agent he was living with cut ties, that tells you something. Damn shame, hope the kid gets his shit together-- not even for the sake of having a football career, but a fulfilling life in general.

~lyser

Rookie
Part of this story is missing. It makes zero sense. The league reinstated him last year, however after voluntary further treatment and rehabilitation the league basically rescinded that reinstatement? What, does the league feel he got "too clean"? That's just stupid.

He must have failed another test or fucked up something. Must have.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Part of this story is missing. It makes zero sense. The league reinstated him last year, however after voluntary further treatment and rehabilitation the league basically rescinded that reinstatement? What, does the league feel he got "too clean"? That's just stupid.

He must have failed another test or freaked up something. Must have.
Or that he never got clean or relapsed? So many possibilities especially with an agent dumping a client they just don't say no to money for no reason.

Ram65

Legend
Only speculation on why his agent terminated their relationship. We don't know why but, it seems to be another bad sign. That should have been reported with the denial to reinstate. Can't count on Gordon even when he gets reinstated if he does at all.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/11/still-suspended-josh-gordon-currently-has-no-agent/

Still suspended, Josh Gordon currently has no agent

Posted by Mike Florio on May 11, 2017, 10:31 PM EDT
CLEVELAND, OH – DECEMBER 7, 2014: Wide receiver Josh Gordon #12 of the Cleveland Browns lies on the ground in pain during a game against the Indianapolis Colts on December 7, 2014 at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio. Indianapolis won 25-24. (Photo by Nick Cammett/Diamond Images/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Josh Gordon

Complicating his effort to continue his career is the reality, as PFT has confirmed, that Gordon currently has no agent. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, agent Joby Branion terminated his relationship with Gordon a couple of weeks ago.

Branion quietly emerged as Gordon’s agent several months ago, working with Gordon absent much fanfare or attention as Gordon dotted the i’s and crossed the t’s necessary to get himself reinstated.

The fact that Branion, not Gordon, ending the relationship invites speculation that Gordon did something that alienated Branion, or that Gordon failed to comply with the promises or commitments he had made to secure Branion’s assistance.

Setting aside the reality that the NFL’s ongoing insistence on policing the private lives of players robs the game and the fans of talented individuals, Gordon failed to comply with the rules that remain on the books, and he continues to pay the consequences. With each passing rejection by the Commissioner of Gordon’s attempt to return to the NFL, it seems less likely that he’ll ever be back on the field for the Browns or anyone else.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gordon's agent (you know, the one he was living with) apparently terminated their relationship a couple weeks ago. Sounds like Gordon isn't behaving himself. I am soooooooooooooooooo shocked. Unfortunately, I'm sure I'll be stuck debating people again on this in a few months when he petitions for reinstatement again. I can't help myself.
B...b...b..b..b.but he didn't fail a test right?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
And every thing the owners ask for is countered by a demand from the players union. It's the nature of collective bargaining. If it was truly important enough to either side or there was a considerable amount of public pressure/push back it would be done. As it is the issue isn't important enough to either side to change so they both deserve the criticism.

That's mostly true, but not fully.

There have been many, many proposals from the NFLPA that were for player safety that could harm individual players' ability to earn, but they proposed changes because the health of the players ranked higher to them than any one player's earning potential. The concussion issue is a great example. Prior to the scientific evidence, a guy could get his bell rung and sort of fake his way through potentially sustaining multiple concussions in a relatively short period of time. However, if the guy delivered, the team and league looked the other way. When the NFLPA tried to work with the league on this (a move they knew would put players with concussions at a disadvantage in the free agent market as well as even retaining a roster spot) the league fought tooth and nails against it and THEN wanted give backs on the health pool for former players!

This is why I say that for the most part (the Rooney family might be an exception) owners not only don't care about player safety, PR efforts be damned, they'd be perfectly content to see more harm to players if it meant an 18 game regular season and expanded playoffs.