Josh Forrest Unique Path to NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/ ... be8348c053

Football is the kind of sport many begin playing at a young age — some even when they’re still in single digits. By those standards, Rams rookie linebacker Josh Forrest is a particularly late bloomer.

“I started playing football my junior year of high school when my junior year in high school, after my best friend — he lived with us — decided to go out and play,” Forrest said during rookie orientation.

Forrest had previously stuck primarily with basketball. But there was a simple motivating factor that made him want to take up a new sport that was already in training camp.

“I was home lonely for about two weeks during football season, and I asked a coach could I come out and give it a try,” Forrest said. “He said yeah, [but] that day, I had to come out. So I came out that day, and things just worked out from there.”

Since that decision, Forrest has experienced a positional odyssey. He entered Kentucky as a wide receiver, but shifted to defense during his redshirt freshman year as a hybrid linebacker/safety. From there, he moved to weakside linebacker before settling at middle LB to finish his college career.

“You see it on occasion,” head coach Jeff Fisher said of Forrest’s changes. “But what you’re doing is you’re looking at a guy who is highly athletic. The basketball background and then to football, and then to receiver, and all this. And he’s grown. He’s going to continue to grow.”

That potential is in part why the Rams had their eye on Forrest throughout the draft before selecting him at No. 193 in the sixth round.

“We looked at him — we watched him there for a couple of rounds,” Fisher said. “We were glad he fell.”

Another factor was the impression Forrest’s tape left on general manager Les Snead. The GM pointed to one contest in particular where Forrest took on one of college football’s best-known running backs, Leonard Fournette.

“There’s this really good running back at LSU, No. 7. He had plenty of highlights last year,” Snead said. “But there’s a couple plays in the Kentucky/LSU game [in 2014] where [Forrest] flies back there and really knocks that guy on his back. And that doesn’t happen often.”

By drafting Forrest, Los Angeles made him the latest in a string of solid Kentucky linebackers to head to the NFL. Forrest said he’s talked to Tennessee’s Avery Williamson and Pittsburgh’s Bud Dupree a bit, but he mostly seeks the council of Danny Trevathan. Originally a Broncos’ sixth-round pick, Trevathan signed with the Bears as a free agent in March.

Forrest said on draft day that when he moved over to defense, he wanted to model his play after Trevathan because they could both be considered undersized at linebacker. A few years later, they’ve discussed what to expect at the pro level.

“I talk to Danny Trevathan a lot,” Forrest said, adding his advice has included “listen to some of the older guys. Don’t take any crap, but listen. And just get out here and work hard.”

As a sixth-round pick, Forrest’s quickest route to the field is through special teams — a fact he has embraced as part of what he can bring to the club.

“They’re definitely getting a warrior,” Forrest said. “I’m going to push the guy in front of me, come in and compete for a job. Bring it on special teams. That’s what I plan on doing.”

“He should be a key special-teams guy for us,” Fisher said. “And he’s got length and explosion and instincts to make a lot of plays behind the ball for us. So it was a great pick.”

And it’s a selection that not too long ago would have been unfathomable — even for the player himself.

“I never thought this in a million years,” Forrest said. “It’s crazy to think about.”

Crazy as it may be, Forrest is now a Los Angeles Ram.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Cool article. I like his attitude. He's an interesting prospect.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Really like some of the talent that his college has produced at his position. Rooting for him to make an impact

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
It swill be interesting competition all around, but linebacker depth in particular. With Forrest, Hagar and Lynch...who else am I missing?

Does anyone know if Bates signed with anyone? I liked him.

fancents86

Starter
Really like what I've seen from this guy. I think he has a lot of talent to be more than just a special teams guy, could be back up for Barron since he played a similar position in college. Just have to see how preseason works out.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
“There’s this really good running back at LSU, No. 7. He had plenty of highlights last year,” Snead said. “But there’s a couple plays in the Kentucky/LSU game [in 2014] where [Forrest] flies back there and really knocks that guy on his back. And that doesn’t happen often.”
If he can make this happen often enough he may make the Team!;)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Maybe Ram Lbers Brandon Chubb,Cory Littleton, Darreon Herrin, Matt Wells, Kache Palacio, Zack Hodges, Ian Seau & Nickolas Grigsby to name a few:D.

Bates landed in Northern Ca.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/daren-bates-player
They always take our scrub special teams players.

My vision on Josh Forrest is a practice squad guy,who replaces Akem Akers in a year.
I like Bryce Hager as MLB to replace JL #55. He is a little small, but like the way he gets to the ball.I know Ogletree is starting, but depth & special teams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Forrest is fast and has good hands, which is great for pass coverage. He likes to hit and rush the QB too. Sounds like a poor mans Ogletree.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
They always take our scrub special teams players.

My vision on Josh Forrest is a practice squad guy,who replaces Akem Akers in a year.
I like Bryce Hager as MLB to replace JL #55. He is a little small, but like the way he gets to the ball.I know Ogletree is starting, but depth & special teams.
I would agree with you that Forrest's skill set would place him as a strong side replacement for UFA Akeem Ayers next season or possibly a back up MLB'er. Ayers is 6-3 255 & Forrest is 6-3 250. But I do not see Forrest falling to the practice squad myself due to special skills he could add to the special teams.

Hager is a very smart player who needed to add some strength to his backpack. If he has filled out he could very well make the spot behind Ogletree but Hager sure has some competition this TC.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
T C ?

Hager was playing a little MLB last preseason. He came up with a couple turnovers.He plays the LB position better than Bates did. He was solid on ST's.

Who is the back up MLB ? Cameron Lynch. He did alright on special teams.

Forrest picked up football really late. He is really raw. I don't see him as a core specials team guy.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
T C ?

Hager was playing a little MLB last preseason. He came up with a couple turnovers.He plays the LB position better than Bates did. He was solid on ST's.

Who is the back up MLB ? Cameron Lynch. He did alright on special teams.

Forrest picked up football really late. He is really raw. I don't see him as a core specials team guy.
TC=Training Camp
I was able to watch most all of Hager's action on the field during the 2015 pre season....a natural fit @ MLB for Gregg's defense IMO.

As for who is the back up to Ogletree??? Good question I sure can not correctly answer that but Snead did bring in a 2 or 3 as UDFA's who have have the skill set. Both Lynch & Hager have MLB'er skill sets. Both were team captains. Don't forget that Ayers can play inside too so if there was a big need it would be Ayers.

If I had to make a guess about all the rest of the reserves it would be ...
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1762147/bryce-hager

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good insight- If Bryce is a natural fit,then
why put Akers at MLB ? I didn't have any hopes for him & thought he was drafted more so for name sake.

Glad jl#55 & 91 are gone.Time to move on with 99 & 94 leading the way as team
leaders

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
then why put Akers at MLB ?

Glad jl#55 & 91 are gone.Time to move on with 99 & 94 leading the way as team
leaders
Why would I suggest for Akeem Ayers to play MLB'er?:thinking:

Akeem Ayers started 16 games as a rookie LB'er in 2011. Has played in over 75 NFL games. Started 63 NFL games in 5 NFL seasons. Started @ inside LB'er for all the 2014 New England playoff games including the SB won by the NE Pats. Was available to start for 16 games @ SSLB'er for Gregg Williams 2015 defense. Is by far the Rams most expereinced LB that Fisher has on the roster now. If that decision was up to me....I am going to play my most experienced LB'er with mega NFL starts over any rookie or 2nd yr player who has never started an NFL game.

Ayers who is the starting Ram strong side LB'er is a part time position due to Gregg's defense running so many base nickles & dimes defenses. So if Ayers was to move inside his SSLB'er position does not play a major part in the over scheme so replacing him is a very small concern. Fact is Ayers spends most of his time standing around on the sidelines with the other reserve defensive players. There must be a good reason that the Rams Org. is paying Ayers $3.3 million this season to stand on the sideline.... if there was need @ MLB'er he would finally earn that good size amount.

Interesting stat from 2015 season. In the first five games of the season before Ogletree was injured Ayers averaged less than 1 tackle a game. After Ogletree's departure from the lineup Ayers, for 11 games Ayers averaged well over 4 tackles a game.

Who would you insert as MLB'er if Alex Ogletree is not avaialble?

http://www.bigblueview.com/2011/1/25/1949220/2011-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-akeem-ayers-olb-ucla

Last edited: