Josh Forrest has ‘moved up quite a bit’ so far with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Josh Forrest has ‘moved up quite a bit’ so far with Rams

BY LINDSEY THIRY

[www.kentucky.com]

Glance across the field and it’s easy to spot Los Angeles Rams rookie Josh Forrest among the linebackers.

The 6-foot-3 Forrest, a sixth-round draft pick out of the University of Kentucky, peers over most of the other players at his position, but stands eye to eye with veteran Akeem Ayers.

“He kind of reminded me of myself,” the 6-3 Ayers said after the Rams’ final organized team activity workout Thursday in Oxnard. “We’re taller than a lot of linebackers.”

The Rams drafted six players in April. Forrest, who starred in high school at Paducah Tilghman, was their lone defensive selection.

During practices, he shadowed Ayers, a sixth-year pro from UCLA, and worked with the second-team defense and special teams.

“He’s very athletic,” Ayers said. “He’s instinctive.”

Last season, Forrest led Kentucky with 93 tackles, including 3 1/2 sacks. He also intercepted two passes.

The speed of NFL practices surprised him.

“It’s a lot faster than college,” Forrest said. “Learning the new plays and everything is a little different, but it’s really going well.”

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is charting Forrest’s progress.

“He’s moved up quite a bit,” Williams said. “He wasn’t in quite a good enough condition when he first got in here. All rookies are shocked at the level of conditioning that you have to have here.”

Forrest joined a linebacker corps that features Ayers, middle linebacker Alec Ogletree and Mark Barron. This season, his biggest contributions probably will be made on special teams.

“Any backup linebacker, backup safety, really [any] safety-corner-linebacker has to be very, very good in the special teams to get time with us,” Williams said, “because we’re pretty versatile in the front line of guys that we have.”

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Something about this kid just screams out to me to watch him play on Sundays. I'd love to see him start and get good PT in so much athleticism he fits right in with the fast defense.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Something about this kid just screams out to me to watch him play on Sundays. I'd love to see him start and get good PT in so much athleticism he fits right in with the fast defense.

I have concern about the numbers barring injury I see the Rams carrying 10 offensive linemen and 9 defense linemen so like last year they might only carry 5 linebackers and I wonder if Forrest makes the squad under that scenario.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I'm glad he was conditioned back into shape. I noticed he had a lot of extra weight on him when he first got here.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The part where Ayers commented on Forrest's being instinctive caught my attention.

First time I've heard that about him, but that's very good to hear, if true.

Is there a more valuable trait in a LB than being instinctive?

…..

Legend
Not really earth shattering news. I mean, how far is to go up? Its not like we have any real serious competition at this position. What I took from the short article is that he showed up out of shape, and must excel at special teams if he wants to get any time on the field.

We need him to make leaps and bounds. His size will be needed. IMO we have a bunch of smalls. No real bruisers.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Forrest pick sounds like a G Williams pick. Kinda like Mo Alexander. GW said the same thing, "He's instinctive" Now Mo is starting the see the field more and may even start this year. I trust GW's eye. Josh Forrest is GW's new pet project?

SierraRam

Recreational User
I have concern about the numbers barring injury I see the Rams carrying 10 offensive linemen and 9 defense linemen so like last year they might only carry 5 linebackers and I wonder if Forrest makes the squad under that scenario.

Yes, if they only keep 5, it will be tough! Is Barron included in your count? I think they'll go with 6 - Ayers, Ogletree, Barron, Hager and 2 of the following:

1. Lynch
2. Forrest
3. Chubb
4. Littleton
5. Grigsby
6. Herring

His size will be needed.

I agree. I think we keep Forrest & Lynch. Maybe Chubb and another to the PS...

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, if they only keep 5, it will be tough! Is Barron included in your count? I think they'll go with 6 - Ayers, Ogletree, Barron, Hager and 2 of the following:

1. Lynch
2. Forrest
3. Chubb
4. Littleton
5. Grigsby
6. Herring

I agree. I think we keep Forrest & Lynch. Maybe Chubb and another to the PS...

Here is my final 53 count by numbers not players.

Offensive Linemen (10)
Wide Receivers (6)
Tight Ends (4)
Running Backs (4)
Quarterbacks (3)
Special Teams (3)

Total of 30

Defensive Linemen (9)
Linebackers (5)
Corner Backs (5)
Safeties (4)

Total 53

Yes I am counting Barron as a linebacker because that is what he is, but that's irrelevant. Teams are not carrying as many linebackers because they are going nickel more often. Rams could go with only three tight ends, but barring injury, I don't see them cutting Hemingway.